parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

2 weeks out from BB contest

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some perspective from anyone familiar and/or personal experience with prepping for a (naturual)bodybuilding contest. I am 2 weeks out from my contest, and for the past 4-5 weeks, I have been doing morning workouts in addition to my evening workouts, 3-4x a week.

Basically I do a 30 minute workout with a Push/Pull/Lower body (3-5 sets of 10 reps), just to get more volume, and then i follow that up with 25 minute conditioning.

My question is now with 2 weeks out, I know I am not going to get any bigger but part of me says to keep doing it, another part tells me I should either perserve my energy and just do the 30 min conditioning not the weights in the morning (which is in addition to the weights in the evening). I am in a caloric deficit, about 2,000 a day.

I feel I am pretty lean already (pretty vascular, veins on my lower abs, thights etc..), but would like more definition in my legs and upper body of course.

Anyone has an opinion on the above? keep the 2x a day workouts? or perserve some energy?? Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I would only do 1 weights session per day and 1 cardio session per day if needed.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your already looking good don't change anything.
    One of the biggest mistakes a BB can do is change up things at the last minute.
    Unless you have experimented with what you want to do weeks earlier to to see if it works for you don't do it so close to you show.
    Use the mirror as your guide.
    Pose hard everyday at least 20 minutes until your show preferably in a different session than your weight training,this will help harden you up a bit.
    Work on all your mandatory poses and do them until you can get them without shaking.
    Most competitors take posing as an after thought but it will really help when it comes to stage time.
    You may want to drop some water the last few days but i don't want to recommend anything because it may not work for you personally,again this is where the experimenting comes in.
    Good luck to you,keep training up until the last few days and then increase your posing time.

parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) parra510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by daddyuk View Post
    I would only do 1 weights session per day and 1 cardio session per day if needed.
    Thanks for the feedback daddyuk. I appreciate it

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Unless you have experimented with what you want to do weeks earlier to to see if it works for you don't do it so close to you show.
    Pose hard everyday at least 20 minutes until your show preferably in a different session than your weight training,this will help harden you up a bit.
    Work on all your mandatory poses and do them until you can get them without shaking.
    Most competitors take posing as an after thought but it will really help when it comes to stage time.
    You may want to drop some water the last few days but i don't want to recommend anything because it may not work for you personally,again this is where the experimenting comes in.
    Good luck to you,keep training up until the last few days and then increase your posing time.
    Thanks GarageRat,
    I appreciate you comments and input on this. That's where I am a bit not sure, I do think i am looking in decent shape, but being that I have been doing 2x a day for the past 4 weeks now, I'm wondering if the reason why I am in good condition is because of that, and if scaling back and not doing 2x a day anymore would possible make me digress, you know?

I certainly do have room for improvement in my posing as I currently only spend about 10-15 minutes, just doing the mandatorys and working on my 60 sec (in case I do place). But I am going to increase my posing, and prioritize that a bit more. thanks again!

daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000) daddyuk is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Very sound advice imo.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Be good to see a photo...

Depending on your leanness and calorie intake...the risk you have by avoiding the lifting and lifting heavy is the signal to go catabolic...which mean your body chews up the lean you spent so much time gaining.

Again without an optic to go by its difficult.

If it isnt at a level that is defined enough, then getting leaner is the issue and you're right... between now and then you will not put on any mass...

Everything you should be doing now is to preserve what you have and thru trial and error for yourself...eating right and getting the right mix of cardio (and what type...) and get your lifting right

From my own experience (well over 80 shows now)...lifting HEAVY all the way thru beats the **** out of the process of light weights and higher reps
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Added some pics..

Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Be good to see a photo...

Depending on your leanness and calorie intake...the risk you have by avoiding the lifting and lifting heavy is the signal to go catabolic...which mean your body chews up the lean you spent so much time gaining.

Again without an optic to go by its difficult.

If it isnt at a level that is defined enough, then getting leaner is the issue and you're right... between now and then you will not put on any mass...

Everything you should be doing now is to preserve what you have and thru trial and error for yourself...eating right and getting the right mix of cardio (and what type...) and get your lifting right

From my own experience (well over 80 shows now)...lifting HEAVY all the way thru beats the **** out of the process of light weights and higher reps
    Thanks for your input yakabebe. I definitely appreciate it. I've posted some pics below, I actually just took them now. So not the best of lighting or quality, but just so you can put a picture to where I am currently at about 10 days out.

Again, my thing is i want to come in as shredded as possible. So going extra to the gym is a sacrifice i'm willing to do. But as far as doing weights 2x a day, not sure if that is in the best interest of my energy. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.
    Attached Images

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by parra510 View Post
    Thanks for your input yakabebe. I definitely appreciate it. I've posted some pics below, I actually just took them now. So not the best of lighting or quality, but just so you can put a picture to where I am currently at about 10 days out.

Again, my thing is i want to come in as shredded as possible. So going extra to the gym is a sacrifice i'm willing to do. But as far as doing weights 2x a day, not sure if that is in the best interest of my energy. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.
    Nice pics...try this

Set up a programme where you do your different body parts in a 6 day split. But in between your sets of medium reps and weight (edging to the higher weight range) do a body weight high rep high speed exercise to fill the time between sets

Ie...say youre doing dbell press on the flat bench...you could do 4 sets of 8-12 reps with a weight you can just manage the 12 and then put down the dbells and and do maybe 20-30 speed squats.

Rest maybe 15-30 sec

Then say your next to do an incline move...again use the rep weight range above but in between sets do a box step-up...10 each side. Fast.

Etc etc etc

This incomplete recovery and the cardio-vascular effort required ensures the H/R is elevated for the entire gym session - and looking as you are now - that might make all the difference

And your still sending the body the message that the muscle is needed and prevent too much catabolism

i assume you're in some sort of calorie deficit and unless your a walking miracle its inevitable that in a cut some % of lean is lost with the fat...challenge is to keep it to dead set minimum

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

Nice pics...try this

Set up a programme where you do your different body parts in a 6 day split. But in between your sets of medium reps and weight (edging to the higher weight range) do a body weight high rep high speed exercise to fill the time between sets

Ie...say youre doing dbell press on the flat bench...you could do 4 sets of 8-12 reps with a weight you can just manage the 12 and then put down the dbells and and do maybe 20-30 speed squats.

Rest maybe 15-30 sec

Then say your next to do an incline move...again use the rep weight range above but in between sets do a box step-up...10 each side. Fast.

Etc etc etc

This incomplete recovery and the cardio-vascular effort required ensures the H/R is elevated for the entire gym session - and looking as you are now - that might make all the difference

And your still sending the body the message that the muscle is needed and prevent too much catabolism

i assume you're in some sort of calorie deficit and unless your a walking miracle its inevitable that in a cut some % of lean is lost with the fat...challenge is to keep it to dead set minimum
    Thanks yakabebe,
    So are you suggesting that instead of doing 2x a day workouts to just focus on keeping my heart elevated during my main workout?

Also, do you know if coffee can bloat someone? i've read different opinions, but lately i've been drinking alot of coffee and i have felt bloated, definitely retaining water. Wondering your opinion on it. Thanks!

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dont change anything!
    You are in respectable contest shape right now.
    Just make sure you get some good color so the stage lights don't wash you out.

Practice your mandatory poses in a manner that make you look the best.
    This is where a good critical eye comes in handy.
    Find three or four poses that are your best for an open pose down.
    Im not sure if they do open posing anymore where they give you a minute for your own poses.
    If they do see what poses are your best and put them together in your routine hiding weaker areas and showing your best.
    Stay tight in the relaxed pose when your not out in the line up.
    Judges will sometimes judge when your off to the side.
    One other bit of advise is to be confident(not cocking) on while stage.
    Show everyone you deserve to be there.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks yakabebe,
    So are you suggesting that instead of doing 2x a day workouts to just focus on keeping my heart elevated during my main workout?

Also, do you know if coffee can bloat someone? i've read different opinions, but lately i've been drinking alot of coffee and i have felt bloated, definitely retaining water. Wondering your opinion on it. Thanks!
    I'm in no way a stage competitor, just chiming in on coffee. Provided you drink it black, the only things affecting water balance would be potassium and the water itself.

Dont change anything!
    You are in respectable contest shape right now.
    Just make sure you get some good color so the stage lights don't wash you out.

Practice your mandatory poses in a manner that make you look the best.
    This is where a good critical eye comes in handy.
    Find three or four poses that are your best for an open pose down.
    Im not sure if they do open posing anymore where they give you a minute for your own poses.
    If they do see what poses are your best and put them together in your routine hiding weaker areas and showing your best.
    Stay tight in the relaxed pose when your not out in the line up.
    Judges will sometimes judge when your off to the side.
    One other bit of advise is to be confident(not cocking) on while stage.
    Show everyone you deserve to be there.
    Thanks Garage Rat,

Yea I have been practicing my mandatory poses more and more.. I usually do them at night which is hard because that is when my energy levels are the lowest, but I certainly do know the importance of it! Top 5 competitors do get to do a 1 minute routine, which I have been practicing , just in case. But i put more emphasis on the mandatory.

I think I will stick with the 2x a day, until maybe 5 days out and then taper down, just to make sure I am fully recovered.

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    I'm in no way a stage competitor, just chiming in on coffee. Provided you drink it black, the only things affecting water balance would be potassium and the water itself.
    Hey Drudixon,

thanks for the input. I think also I have recently up'ed my fiber intake, it was pretty low and I am using black beans which i think is causing the bloat. I also think it may be my protein powder, so I am switching to a higher quality just to eliminate that from the picture.

Thanks yakabebe,

My thought s are you could do with being leaner...depending on the fed... towards that end maintaining the weights but upping the metabolic demand of the single session per day gets you the benefits of both. You got two weeks from emmory and what Im suggesting has worked for heaps of guys and gals I know.

Bloat...coffee in and of itself is unlikely as it is a diuretic. Milk, on the other hand, can make some hold water...indeed it does with me

And what I stumbled upon - given I had cut all my milk out even the few mls in basically a black coffee - was because of the work I do and the time constraints, eating meals in the mid AM and PM wasnt easy so I reverted to protein shakes instead. Just throw them suckers down and back at it.

Except for years failed to realise they are whey protein isolate and hence really milk product and I was having 2 maybe 3 a day. Arggghhhhhhhhhh.....

Stopped that and viola...my bloat stopped.

My bloat was such that Id go to the gym with the indent in my calf from my socks worn during the day...and that was at 5-6% b/f.

Also particularly if lean is your goal...cutting out the shakes and replacing them with food you chew and digest...all add just that little bit to the thermogenic demands on metabolism and in a calorie deficit, can also contribute to a change for the better in your leanness

My conclusions reached over time is there are a million variations on a theme..what makes one bloat or lose weight etc wont work for all...finding what is doing it for you is the key and its time in the game that will get you all the answers

Good luck!

Simple plan.

My thought s are you could do with being leaner...depending on the fed... towards that end maintaining the weights but upping the metabolic demand of the single session per day gets you the benefits of both. You got two weeks from emmory and what Im suggesting has worked for heaps of guys and gals I know.

Bloat...coffee in and of itself is unlikely as it is a diuretic. Milk, on the other hand, can make some hold water...indeed it does with me

And what I stumbled upon - given I had cut all my milk out even the few mls in basically a black coffee - was because of the work I do and the time constraints, eating meals in the mid AM and PM wasnt easy so I reverted to protein shakes instead. Just throw them suckers down and back at it.

Except for years failed to realise they are whey protein isolate and hence really milk product and I was having 2 maybe 3 a day. Arggghhhhhhhhhh.....

Stopped that and viola...my bloat stopped.

My bloat was such that Id go to the gym with the indent in my calf from my socks worn during the day...and that was at 5-6% b/f.

Also particularly if lean is your goal...cutting out the shakes and replacing them with food you chew and digest...all add just that little bit to the thermogenic demands on metabolism and in a calorie deficit, can also contribute to a change for the better in your leanness

My conclusions reached over time is there are a million variations on a theme..what makes one bloat or lose weight etc wont work for all...finding what is doing it for you is the key and its time in the game that will get you all the answers

Good luck!
    Thanks Yakabebe,

And yes, i've heard about cutting shakes and replacing them with food can definitely help. I am going to definitely try that. I actually do consume quite a few shakes each day normally, so I hope that could help for the final week, cutting them back. However, for my post - workout meal, I do prefer shakes, so I'll probably just a protein only shake in that.

Any advice on how to handle sodium? Should I just stay the course? or try lowering it the last few days? I've read alot and some people say don't mess with it (just stop salting foods) others say cut it on thursday and friday.. Any input on this topic?

sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sockitume is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I know your still about a week out from the contest still but would love to get an update once it's done and what your thoughts were on the whole experience!

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your conditioning is great. The photos show good symmetry from the front.
    Can you include some back poses?
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Your conditioning is great. The photos show good symmetry from the front.
    Can you include some back poses?
    What Jerry said. You look incredible man. You have to be diced by now. Be sure to post up those shredded pics!

What is your current weight?

tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I have nothing to add better than what you've already been told so I'll keep it simple :
    1. Mirin
    2. Good luck
    Come and take it.