View Poll Results: Why u no progress Flounder?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because Flounder is a pussy.

5 45.45%
  • Because Option 1.

6 54.55%
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Floundering on

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Err, squats, obviously

The menu called for 5 x 7 x 130kg (286lb) today. I checked my rep PR at 130kg - it was 8.

So all I had to do was one less than that, 5 times. OK then.

After yesterday I was hopeful of a good session. 130kg still looks quite a lot like 3pps on the bar though! Once I got under the bar though it was fine. I wouldn't call it light, but a set of 7 was OK. RPE 6 - 7.

Obviously Smolov calls for what it calls for, so there is not much opportunity to autoregulate. However there is no requirement as to rests between sets, which I often think is a much overlooked parameter. I autoregulate by taking instinctive breaks between sets. I do the next set when I feel ready for another set - that simple. It may be a couple of minutes. It may be 5. On a day like last Friday it will sometimes creep closer to 10.

I knew today was going to be OK when I found myself back under the bar within a couple of minutes ready for the next set.

Sets 2 - 4 were fine.

Which meant that all I had to do for the final set was get to within one of my rep PR. It seemed awful close to my PR. I haven't hit a PR in ages...

☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS... 10 reps and a middle finger!!! WTG Flounder!!!

My stay in GB... We lived at RAF Mildenhall, spent a lot of time visiting London, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds, along with assorted sights. Good memories and I have NEVER found another place to give the same great tasting fish n chips as the grease truck on wheels did that visited Mildenhall... that was some great grub wrapped in newspaper!! Hated
    Wimpy"burgers in London, that was nasty! (don't tell me what kind of meat it was)
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO
    -------------CREW---------------

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThighoftheTiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    As for its history, I know very little, except that it was stuck in this big rock, and no-one could pull it out until I had a go. Must be all that deadlifting...
    Nice! I was going to ask if that's where it came from! [whisper]Be mindful of that guy Lancelot, he's not as goodie-goodie as he seems.[/whisper]

Oh, and belated Happy Birthday!
    Every once in a while, there's a sudden gust of gravity...

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Knocking out 7 reps for 5 sets, one rep shy of you last PR at that weight, is some serious progress man. Congrats!

Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Knocking out 7 reps for 5 sets, one rep shy of you last PR at that weight, is some serious progress man. Congrats!
    Busted...
    ☻/
    / \

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hells ya FB! Nailed 10 PR on dat beotch! After all the previous work puts u in a hyooge strength surplus right now! 4pps!! 4pps! 4pps!!

And don't worry, the tears have started to dry from missing me in the multi quote

Oh ya, missed that barn training!
    ☻/
    / \

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Busted...
    LoL. I see in the vid you actually hit 10 on your final set. That is even better.

Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Welcome to 40 bud! Happy Bday! I didn't enjoy that bday much.. But then again...I didn't get a kick azz sword!!! SWEEEEEEEET!

Awesome news about the squats! Must have been a welcome feeling to ace 4 x 9 day. Even more awesome you jumped ahead last session and did too much while blazing Ebola! Nice work on the bench as well!
    Nothing but wins in here man!
    WTF?! Don't know how you escaped the MQ of Justice! Although I wasn't expecting to enjoy the big 4 0, in fact it didn't really bother me. Training has really helped on that front. Whereas I thought I would be upset at the feeling of getting old, instead I was "I can't wait until test day in two week's time"!

I have enjoyed Smolov so far this week. Normally the last week of the base cycle is horrible. But I seem to have caught a break this time round... Touch wood! Doubtless the intense cycle will be as hideous as usual though!
    ☻/
    / \

piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) piperdown is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cheers Eric! The oldest part of the house (which includes my study which is the room in the picture) is from the mid 15th century. So about the same time that Columbus glimpsed America, and over a century before the Mayflower rocked up...
    That's pretty darn cool!!

Hell of a good day under the bar for you. LOL'd hard when I saw your shirt.
    Eric

PR's
    Bench 305
    OHP 155x5
    Squat 315
    Deadlift 385

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Somehow I knew your place would be very old....Our house was built in 1910 and people think it's old....we had some people over and a lady was visiting from France and asked how old the oldest building our city was and I said 1780 is one of the old abode's when father Serra came through this area...she said that's not old....my response was the US isn't that old but Europe is so havng and older home is probably not as uncommon as we would think

Nice squat session Flounder...10 on the last set says you own that weight.......I like the barn....but I bet in winter it's an ice box
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Registered User charlievanriper's Avatar
    charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice Squats man
    Officially 65yrs old, Beef eating Conservative, Trump Loving Anti-Abortion Anti-Liberal, Pro Israel Christian MAN IF YOU don't like it or me SCREW YOU, I DON'T CARE. I lift heavy ass weight w/o the use of DRUGS / TRT or ANY unnatural assistance, I Own & Support Gun Ownership

"FUC JOE BIDEN & ALL DEMOCRATS, SCHUMER IS A TRAITOR. TRUMP 2024"

*Current Weight & Thread w/ Video's*
    Weight / 185.6
    [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179727593[/url]

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WTF?! Don't know how you escaped the MQ of Justice! Although I wasn't expecting to enjoy the big 4 0, in fact it didn't really bother me. Training has really helped on that front. Whereas I thought I would be upset at the feeling of getting old, instead I was "I can't wait until test day in two week's time"!

I have enjoyed Smolov so far this week. Normally the last week of the base cycle is horrible. But I seem to have caught a break this time round... Touch wood! Doubtless the intense cycle will be as hideous as usual though!
    Lol just yanking ur chain. I didn't like the "thought" of turning 40 at all. I was a bit panicked TBH, I don't even know why. I did calm down after looking at things in terms of health though. I can honestly say I am the strongest and leanest I have ever been in my adult life so that helped
    Think you are going to roll right through the intense phase and tackle a very impressive PR! I can't help quoting "I have enjoyed Smolov this week"
    ☻/
    / \

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Full length pants crew checking in to wish you a happy birthday and compliment you on those squats. Repping 285 for 10 is awesome. Looked in control throughout.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well it was no Brony shirt...
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fuk yeah. When you hit that last rep I got an adrenaline rush of my own, I was pumped for you. Sick set of squats man!!
    ☻/
    / \

10/22/16 Meet: 350/220/505 1075lb total
    04/29/17 Meet: 390/240/535 1165lb total
    11/04/17 Meet: 424/254/551 1229lb total

Originally Posted by MooseTequila View Post
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS... 10 reps and a middle finger!!! WTG Flounder!!!

My stay in GB... We lived at RAF Mildenhall, spent a lot of time visiting London, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds, along with assorted sights. Good memories and I have NEVER found another place to give the same great tasting fish n chips as the grease truck on wheels did that visited Mildenhall... that was some great grub wrapped in newspaper!! Hated
    Wimpy"burgers in London, that was nasty! (don't tell me what kind of meat it was)
    Cheers Moose. I was chuffed.

So you were a USAF sprog eh? Mildenhall and its surrounds are pretty bleak, though Cambridge is a great place (I spent 4 years at Uni there). But the chippy van, well you don't get them anywhere else that is for sure! I have never had a Wimpy burger, and it will stay like that.. I prefer to have my horses in a field than in a bun...

Originally Posted by ThighoftheTiger View Post
    Nice! I was going to ask if that's where it came from! [whisper]Be mindful of that guy Lancelot, he's not as goodie-goodie as he seems.[/whisper]

Oh, and belated Happy Birthday!
    Cheers Chuck!

Hells ya FB! Nailed 10 PR on dat beotch! After all the previous work puts u in a hyooge strength surplus right now! 4pps!! 4pps! 4pps!! : D

Oh ya, missed that barn training!
    Cheers Shawn. Yep, I was pleased to hit 10 after 4 sets of 7. I could probably have forced another rep out even then, so fresh I like to think I would have hit 12 or 13 without too much drama. I don't put great store by 1RM calculations at anything above about 5 reps. But 10 reps at 130kg is a calculated 1RM of 173kg, and given the work before I would like to think it is not wholly unrealistic. Which is pleasing, because previously I have worried that I am not going to get anywhere near even 170kg, which would be depressing (run Smolov twice and still not beat my previous PR!). I suspect 180kg is still a way beyond my at the moment. But this gives me hope that I may be able to sneak 4pps at some point in the not too distant future. May have to run Smolov again though...

LoL. I see in the vid you actually hit 10 on your final set. That is even better. : D
    Cheers Shane

Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    That's pretty darn cool!!

Hell of a good day under the bar for you. LOL'd hard when I saw your shirt.
    Thanks Eric! The shirt was especially for John - he only watches for the T-shirts these days...

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Somehow I knew your place would be very old....Our house was built in 1910 and people think it's old....we had some people over and a lady was visiting from France and asked how old the oldest building our city was and I said 1780 is one of the old abode's when father Serra came through this area...she said that's not old....my response was the US isn't that old but Europe is so havng and older home is probably not as uncommon as we would think

Nice squat session Flounder...10 on the last set says you own that weight.......I like the barn....but I bet in winter it's an ice box
    Yes Ron old buildings are pretty commonplace - particularly churches, cathedrals etc - a lot of them date back to the 13th century and some even older. And in the Roman cities there are walls etc parts of which date back to around the start of the last millenium - 50 - 100ADish.

Yep, it's pretty chilly ion there even now, and we have had a remarkably warm winter in the main so far. It's due to turn cold again tomorrow... Brrr...

Originally Posted by charlievanriper View Post
    Nice Squats man
    Thanks Charlie. Congrats on that bench man...

Think you are going to roll right through the intense phase and tackle a very impressive PR! I can't help quoting "I have enjoyed Smolov this week" : D
    I hope you are right, although every time I have run Smolov so far, I have made lots of progress in the base cycle, and almost none in the intense cycle. Maybe things will be different this time...

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Full length pants crew checking in to wish you a happy birthday and compliment you on those squats. Repping 285 for 10 is awesome. Looked in control throughout.
    You and your full length pant crew. We all know you are just covering up your feminine calves. Real men strut the capri pants look...

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Well it was no Brony shirt...
    I'm saving that...

Originally Posted by Hammerhagen View Post
    Fuk yeah. When you hit that last rep I got an adrenaline rush of my own, I was pumped for you. Sick set of squats man!!
    Cheers Andrew! I was stoked at the end of that for sure...
    ☻/
    / \

MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have never had a Wimpy burger, and it will stay like that.. I prefer to have my horses in a field than in a bun...
    This explains the missing horses at New Market
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO
    -------------CREW---------------

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Started Smolov myself. First time doing it too. Currently in week 2 of the intro cycle. Figured I'd try to re-build my squats back up while I'm resting my shoulder (it's almost healed).

It's going to be a beast, and it's damn impressive watching you do it as well with bigger and better numbers.
    -----------------

My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168325713

Originally Posted by Korr View Post
    Started Smolov myself. First time doing it too. Currently in week 2 of the intro cycle. Figured I'd try to re-build my squats back up while I'm resting my shoulder (it's almost healed).

It's going to be a beast, and it's damn impressive watching you do it as well with bigger and better numbers.
    Good luck! That is exactly why I first did it - shoulder was screwed and so squatting was about the only training I could do.

A lot of the challenge is mental - the numbers looking forward always seem very daunting. But you will be amazed how well the programmed progression sits with your actual progression through it. Or that's what I have found anyway... I'll dig out your journal and will follow with interest...
    ☻/
    / \

Nearly there!

Last night

Penultimate session before the deload after the base cycle, just one more to go.

Menu was 7 x 5 x 135kg (297lb).

Was hoping that this week's smooth progress would continue. Sure enough, the first couple of sets were straightforward. I have made some very minor form tweaks, just trying to sit back a touch more and try and get a more vertical bar path - some of my vids recently have shown the bar coming well forward as I sink straight down between my hips. So I have been focussing on driving hips back just a touch, and trying to lock out the squat with a bit more hip drive. It feels comfortable, and I have felt more drive. I have a slightly tender lower back this morning - I suspect it results in a touch more torso lean.

I suddenly wondered whether this form tweak had meant that I wasn't hitting depth, and that is why this week has gone so well. God that would be frustrating after everything I have done to try and improve my depth. As a result I took a vid from the side.

Well I may have shaved an inch or so off my depth from early in the program, but that is no bad thing if all reps were legit, and they seem to be to me. Phew!

Although all the sets by this point were pretty straightforward effort-wise, right from set 2 I started to get a nagging in my adductor. It didn't hurt when squatting, but walking afterwards was uncomfortable. Just a mild nag, like the wife saying "no rush dear" in the car...

By the end of set 4 the nagging had become pretty insistent. A sort of "OK seriously, slow down".

The thought that I might get RTU'd by an injury at this point in the program really pissed me off, so obviously I just ignored it.

Set 5 - 7 were all fine, effort-wise. The last reps of set 6 and 7 were hard, but still only RPE 8ish. Pretty straightforward. Through the whole lot in around 30 mins, which is quick at this stage of the programme.

The adductor was no longer nagging however. By this point it had pulled on the handbrake, and was screaming "STOP THE FECKING CAR YOU LUNATIC, LET ME OUT!"

Tedious. Hoped that it would clear up overnight.

Bench

More of the same.

8 x 60kg (132lb)
    6 x 75kg (165lb)
    5 x 80kg (176lb)
    2 x 4 x 85kg (187lb)
    AMRAP x 80kg (176lb). Matched Tuesday's 10 reps, and was close to an 11th. Need to concentrate on form on bench - I am getting lazy on form on the lighter weights.

This morning

Adductor seems fine this morning. No idea what was going on there. I have purple bruises on my legs where the adductor goes over the pelvis though. Suspect the trousers I was wearing were constricting something in the squat - I didn't really notice it at the time. This is why real men wear lightweight capri pants...

However for various reasons I suspect I won't get time to do the last base cycle session today, and my lower back is quite sore today anyway so it will do me no harm to wait until tomorrow. This is the session that I struggled with so much last week (10 x 3 x 145kg (319lb). I have to tell myself that if the first three sessions of the week were straightforward (and they all were), this one should be too. I may get round to it today though, you never know.

After that, no squatting programmed for a week, and then test day. I think I may do light squats during the week, since complete downtime seems to do me no favours. Will see how it goes.
    ☻/
    / \

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Depth looks great. Your legs look pretty big in those squats. I'm always with you running this program. I keep waffling if I'm going to tackle it one more time this year.

Have you been using the hip circle? I ask because, in my case, I use it pretty often. My abductors have benefited from the work and I no longer feel them like I would sometimes after squatting or deadlifting. As a result my adductors have become the "weak link" in the chain, well, atleast when my form breaks done a touch. This is the root of my issue not necessarily yours but information is power

The way force works (and you know this crap already) is it finds the path of least resistance. That's why "staying tight, don't be a pussy" is actually really good information. The tightness allows force to spread evenly, however, any lag in the tightness will be found and that's where the force will travel (adductor area). In some cases the force can't be handled by that area and the result is a grinder rep -at worst an injury.
    Last edited by Jtbny; 01-29-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck! That is exactly why I first did it - shoulder was screwed and so squatting was about the only training I could do.

A lot of the challenge is mental - the numbers looking forward always seem very daunting. But you will be amazed how well the programmed progression sits with your actual progression through it. Or that's what I have found anyway... I'll dig out your journal and will follow with interest...
    How funny, I did it because my shoulder was screwed lol. I'm getting close to my smolov PR's, just without the suffering of smolov lol.

I agree with John, you legs are looking big man. It is no wonder you are repping out 297 for sets of 7. Strong mofo on the squats FB. Bar path looked really good and your form was nice and tight. It sounds like you need to go back to your old pants for squats.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't believe you're coming up to a test day again Squats look good man. You keep making this smolov madness seem appealing to me lol Really hope the abductor pain isn't serious.
    ☻/
    /▌

Great info John, makes down perfect sense.
    Squats looked more than legit on depth and man them quaaads look hyoooge! Jealous of that terrible side effect squats have afflicted upon you
    Next session will be a breeze for you this time, for one: you have already ground it out last week virtually on your death bed
    Secondly: you went back, aced the proper progression leading up to this
    And third: you are Flounder, and there is no way you would a measly 319 best you down

Great job bud, good luck with dem muscle pains!
    ☻/
    / \

Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hammerhagen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looking strong like every one of your vids so far. Keep rocking those Capri's for your crotch health!
    ☻/
    / \

10/22/16 Meet: 350/220/505 1075lb total
    04/29/17 Meet: 390/240/535 1165lb total
    11/04/17 Meet: 424/254/551 1229lb total

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Those squats looked very solid....don't know why you would squat in street clothes but if it works for ya.....Waiting for 10X3 day....The great wall of squats day
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Depth looks great. Your legs look pretty big in those squats. I'm always with you running this program. I keep waffling if I'm going to tackle it one more time this year.

Have you been using the hip circle? I ask because, in my case, I use it pretty often. My abductors have benefited from the work and I no longer feel them like I would sometimes after squatting or deadlifting. As a result my adductors have become the "weak link" in the chain, well, atleast when my form breaks done a touch. This is the root of my issue not necessarily yours but information is power

The way force works (and you know this crap already) is it finds the path of least resistance. That's why "staying tight, don't be a pussy" is actually really good information. The tightness allows force to spread evenly, however, any lag in the tightness will be found and that's where the force will travel (adductor area). In some cases the force can't be handled by that area and the result is a grinder rep -at worst an injury.
    That is awesome that you thought my legs looked bigger John. They are bigger for sure. Until a couple of months ago I was using Rocktape knee sleeves. I lost them, so I bought some Rehbands. At first I thought they were kind of loose, but over time I got used to them. Anyway I found the Rocktapes about a week ago, and tried to use them for a session. I literally couldn't get them on. I reckon I must have put at least an inch and possibly more onto my quads.

I'd like to say that adding an inch to me legs resulted in having big legs, but that is never going to happen!

I use the hip circle reasonably regularly, but still not enough. I noticed the difference soon after starting to use it though, so will continue to do so, and will try and get more use in each session.

The force analysis makes complete sense. My weak link atm is my entire body, which is comprised of a series of weak muscles, weaker tendons, weak bones, all controlled by a weak mind. But I will beat it into submission as best I can over time...

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    How funny, I did it because my shoulder was screwed lol. I'm getting close to my smolov PR's, just without the suffering of smolov lol.
    I'm guessing there aren't many people who squat that much just for the ch1ts and giggles...

My challenge will be to try and maintain something near the level that I finally hit when this torture is all over. TBH despite my protestations, I do kind of love squatting now, in a masochistic sort of way...

I agree with John, you legs are looking big man. It is no wonder you are repping out 297 for sets of 7. Strong mofo on the squats FB. Bar path looked really good and your form was nice and tight. It sounds like you need to go back to your old pants for squats.
    Sure do - I see from the vid that I had my car key in my pocket too, which didn't help! Again thanks for the compliment. They say the camera puts on 10 lb, which must be true if my legs look big. But then I guess that would means that those squats were actually 307lb, so that's something...

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    I can't believe you're coming up to a test day again :eek : Squats look good man. You keep making this smolov madness seem appealing to me lol Really hope the abductor pain isn't serious.
    Feck the test day - I'm just looking forward to the week off!!!

The abductor pain has completely vanished. No idea what that was about. Today I had an agonising pain in my foot - like a red hot knife was being stabbed into it. No idea what that was either. I assume it is my body's way of thanking me for all the squatting...

Great info John, makes down perfect sense.
    Squats looked more than legit on depth and man them quaaads look hyoooge! Jealous of that terrible side effect squats have afflicted upon you : p
    Next session will be a breeze for you this time, for one: you have already ground it out last week virtually on your death bed
    Secondly: you went back, aced the proper progression leading up to this
    And third: you are Flounder, and there is no way you would a measly 319 best you down : D

Great job bud, good luck with dem muscle pains!
    Cheers Shawn. I was mentally armed for today - for all those reasons. Workout on the whey as Doughnut would say. Where is Doughnut? I miss that guy. No homo etc.

Originally Posted by Hammerhagen View Post
    Looking strong like every one of your vids so far. Keep rocking those Capri's for your crotch health!
    Thanks man. No capris today - dragged my old tracksuit bottoms out of the wardrobe. They were much less castrating, which was nice...

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Those squats looked very solid....don't know why you would squat in street clothes but if it works for ya.....Waiting for 10X3 day....The great wall of squats day ; )
    Cheers Ron. When I am at home I tend to pop into the barn and squeeze some squats in whenever I get a moment, hence the work clothes. Was a bit more organised today!
    ☻/
    / \

Last day!

Last day today! Well last day of the base cycle anyway. Then a week off, a test day, and then the last push to finish off back-to-back Smolov. I sense lots of fun ahead. Not.

Anyway, today's menu was the 10 x 3 x 145kg (319lb) that so destroyed me last week. To be honest this session worried me a bit. If 145kg x 3 is a genuine 3RM, then I am miles off squatting 170kg which is my aim on test day (I am then going to push for an extra 10kg over the intense phase to hit my ultimate goal of a 4pps (metric) - 180kg. I would need 6 reps at 145kg to have a calculated 1RM of over 170kg. And last week 3 x 145kg was very much a real 3RM.

Was stoked going into today though. This last week went well, and I know that I made it through 5 sets at this weight last week with ebola. Time to deliver. Figured I would break out the shirt again...

Set 1 was tough. Damn, even 3 reps is hard. Realised that I was busy psyching myself out. +3pps is heavy. Deal with it. Decided to bang through this session as fast as I could.

Sets 2 to 9 were heavy, but doable, even though I kept the breaks short. I had forgotten how mental these 10 sets are. Set 7 is much easier than set 4, because even though you are getting fatigued, you are also getting closer to the end, and the mental boost adds more than the physical fatigue takes away.

By set 9 though fatigue was certainly setting in, and the last rep was tough.

I was pretty confident I was going to make the last set though. And then that was base cycle finished with. And whaddayaknow? Even found a little gas left in the tank right at the end. Not especially pretty, but hey, puts me in a decent place mentally for test day.

Set 10 of 10

Pretty chuffed with the way base cycle has gone. Now a week off, then I hoping 170kg will go for a new lifetime PR, and a decent base camp for a push at the summit.
    ☻/
    / \

Niiiice and extra nice for stealing an extra couple reps to at the end. Looking good for test day. Can't wait to see how you do. 4 pps is an awesome goal. No doubt you'll get there with the way you run this program.
    ☻/
    /▌