Vegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Gluteus workout !!?

Hi, im having some troubles with my legs day...

3X15 leg extension
    4X12 Squat (?)
    4X15 walking lunges
    3X15 adductor
    4X15 leg curl
    3X15 sitting calf

So my question is : since I have some back problems and I found it difficult to perform a good back squat or front squat ( I tried hack squat, multipower and the free one) which exercise can I do instead of them?

i though about a few :
    leg press ( but i do feel it a lot on my back so...)
    other type of lunges
    bridge
    or maybe Plie'/sumo squat? should it be much better for my back? i could hold a dumbbell ...
    im really looking forward to read some of your advices cause i really need to :-)
    THANKS !
    Last edited by Vegirl; 08-28-2015 at 02:37 PM.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My lower back acts up sometimes, and when it happens I find doing lunges by placing an exercise ball between my back and the wall helps keep me straight, and keeps my back from hurting.

Like this, but holding dumbbells: link
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

that's cool !
    squats are my problems though :,(

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you seen a Dr. for your back problems?

If squats are making your back sore you're likely doing them wrong (or you have a medical issue that we're unaware of). Try to perfect your form with just body weight. Take video, post up here and we can give you form feedback. In the mean time you can add leg press if you want, but nothing will replace the full-body recruitment of a squat.

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you tried a bulgarian split squat? It should be easier on your back since you can keep your torso upright and you won't need as much weight. I would actually find out what's wrong with your back and what you can do about it.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vixentine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Weighted hip thrusts and glute bridges have been the best thing I have added to my routine for building and activating my glutes. I also have an issue with back pain and these never cause problems for me.
    IG: misszuzuu

The doctor told me its a posture problem and that I need to strengthen my back muscles :-)!
    I know squats are an awesome exercise and I don't want to give it up... I think I ll try the sumo squats ! Have any of u tried them? Are they any goood?
    Thank you :-)

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vegirl View Post
    The doctor told me its a posture problem and that I need to strengthen my back muscles :-)!
    Given your other post about relying on a belt to maintain posture while sitting, I'd say you're doctor is spot on. This is why for you personally I'd say to do more lifts without the belt, and let your back do some work by keeping you stable. For example, overhead presses are a shoulder exercise, but my back, and abs are really tight to keep me from falling over. It takes the whole upper body.
    Most compounds require that core stability. Squats aren't just a leg/butt exercise, focus on using your whole body as a unit to complete the lift. Regardless of the type of squat. I'd look up some videos on good form for various lifts, and practice with body weight to perfect it before adding weight again.

Squats aren't the only good exercise for glutes. Glute raises are great, and so are deadlifts (but really, really get the form right first).
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

aflo1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hip thrusts are on the rise (check out Brett Contreras aka "the glute guy" lol) they look a little awkward but are an awesome exercise.
    Also DB Bulgarian deadlifts are great- you'd want to do light and make sure your back isn't rounding out AT ALL and the dumbells stay close to your legs the whole time.

kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kgrrl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are squat variations that are lighter and demand a more upright posture. I do goblet squats in a higher rep range, for example, and they are a good beginners variation. Squats can be done with the help of a pilates ball too, as Luna showed. Stance could lessen the strain on the back, but I'd recommend you find the stance that works good for you and helps you keep a strong back and braced core.

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to strengthen your back by doing lots of core exercises, does your gym have a trx? Do lots of trx crunches and pikes, they are tough but they will strengthen your whole core taking the pressure off your back. Also do planks and side planks, aim for 2 minutes then move onto weighted planks.
    Carry on wearing a belt while you squat, focus on pushing your stomach out against it during the whole squat. Goblet squat is prob your best bet til you strengthen up.
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

Thank you all really much !
    I ll try the gluteus bridge strengthen my butt I ll move on to squats inmy next schedule !

OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OneProGoober has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Vegirl View Post
    Hi, im having some troubles with my legs day...

3X15 leg extension
    4X12 Squat (?)
    4X15 walking lunges
    3X15 adductor
    4X15 leg curl
    3X15 sitting calf

So my question is : since I have some back problems and I found it difficult to perform a good back squat or front squat ( I tried hack squat, multipower and the free one) which exercise can I do instead of them?

i though about a few :
    leg press ( but i do feel it a lot on my back so...)
    other type of lunges
    bridge
    or maybe Plie'/sumo squat? should it be much better for my back? i could hold a dumbbell ...
    im really looking forward to read some of your advices cause i really need to :-)
    THANKS !

Hey, something that changed my life:
    I (had) anterior pelvic tilt. If you do some researh into it you'll understand how it affects your back...
    Anyway, I started stretching my hip flexors out and immediately felt pain relief in my back. And I stretch quite a bit still to keep flexible.
    Basically, if you have low back pain at all, try looking into this. your hip flexors connect around your lumbar spine and can be too tight and cause stress there. I went from doing 65 lb squats to 200 lb squats in about 3 weeks.

Also include standing calves? they work a different part of your calf than seated.
    Good luck.

ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ablankenship83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Vixentine View Post
    Weighted hip thrusts and glute bridges have been the best thing I have added to my routine for building and activating my glutes. I also have an issue with back pain and these never cause problems for me.
    ^^^^ this exactly. Especially the glute bridges with a barbell.

cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdhussey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Often from sitting for long periods of time, our hip flexors get shortened causing excessive pelvic tilt. The hip flexors attach to the front of the lower spine and often cause back pain because of pulling and excessive pelvic tilt. Stretching them helps, but it's also important to strengthen the glutes, which of course, you appear to be looking to do. I really like Barbell Glute Bridges for specific glute work. I also like Good Mornings a lot, but I'd been lifting for a while before I made them a larger part of my program.They are wonderful for the entire posterior chain, but they can be tough on the low back if there's any weakness.

I also now have a standing desk, which helps keep my hip flexors from being so tight. So my advice is stretch the flexors, strengthen the glutes with Barbell Glute Bridges, and try to stand/walk around more than you sit.