muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

hip thrusts for deadlift and squat?

Genetically I have always had weak/small glutes. My deadlift and squat have shown that my legs and lower back tend to take over in the deadlift and squat (back feels over worked compared to my PC) and that my sticking point in squat is mid way up towards lockout and same with deadlift.

I know sldls, GHRs, rdls, lunges etc etc help with glutes, but I keep pulling up articles with Bret Contreras and his hip thrust method of improving glutes and carryover into the deadlift and squat. It looks appealing to me.

what I wanted to know is what is your guys advice for strengthening glutes? would the hip thrust be the most ideal exercise to target and strengthen my glutes and improve my deadlift and squat or would you recommend something else?

I currently run a variation of 5/3/1

what exercise should I do and how many set/reps?
    USMC

Gym PR's
    S-505x2 PB-365x2 D-555x2

Have yet to make the dive into competing.

swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10) swiftsloth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by muscleman17 View Post
    Genetically I have always had weak/small glutes. My deadlift and squat have shown that my legs and lower back tend to take over in the deadlift and squat (back feels over worked compared to my PC) and that my sticking point in squat is mid way up towards lockout and same with deadlift.

I know sldls, GHRs, rdls, lunges etc etc help with glutes, but I keep pulling up articles with Bret Contreras and his hip thrust method of improving glutes and carryover into the deadlift and squat. It looks appealing to me.

what I wanted to know is what is your guys advice for strengthening glutes? would the hip thrust be the most ideal exercise to target and strengthen my glutes and improve my deadlift and squat or would you recommend something else?

I currently run a variation of 5/3/1

what exercise should I do and how many set/reps?
    Introducing barbell GHR (same as a hip thrust?) to my leg and deadlift/back days has probably been one of the things helping my squats and deadlifts to the point where I've noticed the strongest part of my squat is from the bottom (my ass is 4 1/2 from the ground so pretty low)
    that and the tips chris duffin mentions in his video "THE BEST Warm Up for Big Skwaats and Deadlifts (Ft. Chris Duffin)"
    (can't post because post count)

and some light GHR in-between sets of squats or deadlifts just in case my glutes weren't already firing 100% has WORKED FOR ME.

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Barbell hip thrust 100% will help
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think hip thrusts are a good way to go. I also like heavy kettlebell swings to strengthen my glutes.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for reply guys I appreciate it a lot. usually on here I get bad sarcastic comments without any real help. I have been trying to improve my deadlift and I feel weak all through the deadlift in the glutes and feel most of my back doing the work. what I will start doing is concentrate on using and exploding my glutes all the way through and throw in some hip thrusts after legs day.

my two legs days a week look like
    deadlift day (Tuesday):
    deadlift 5/3/1 sets
    BBB squats 5x5@80%TM
    leg ext 3x10
    ham curl 3x10
    hip thrusts (reps and sets not decided)
    ab work
    (would I benefit more from taking ham curls out and doing a sldl or rdl?)

squat day (Friday)
    LB squats 5/3/1 sets
    BBB deadlifts 5x5@80%TM
    leg ext 3x10
    ham curls 3x10
    hip thrusts (sets and reps not decided)
    ab work

how could I change this to maximize my posterior chain work? how many sets and reps for hip thrusts?
    USMC

Gym PR's
    S-505x2 PB-365x2 D-555x2

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm still not convinced barbell hip thrusts have any carryover to strength in the squat and deadlift. Personally, I think its more of a mobility correction tool than anything. If your hip flexors are tight, your hip extension will be limited. Improving hip extension in the squat and the deadlift will cause higher glute activation on those lifts. Not because of the modality that improved the positioning.

Before the sh*tstorm erupts, this is all my opinion. If glut bridges transferred to strength in the lift, the people with the highest weight on glute bridges would also have the highest squats and deadlifts. Even the glute guy himself has a 500+lb glute bridge and a , what, maybe 400lb squat?

Anyway, my favorite glute exercises are band walks and sumo deadlifts for time. Try to sumo deadlift 135lbs for 5 straight minutes. If your glute don't start doing something, you probably died anyway.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    I'm still not convinced barbell hip thrusts have any carryover to strength in the squat and deadlift. Personally, I think its more of a mobility correction tool than anything. If your hip flexors are tight, your hip extension will be limited. Improving hip extension in the squat and the deadlift will cause higher glute activation on those lifts. Not because of the modality that improved the positioning.

Before the sh*tstorm erupts, this is all my opinion. If glut bridges transferred to strength in the lift, the people with the highest weight on glute bridges would also have the highest squats and deadlifts. Even the glute guy himself has a 500+lb glute bridge and a , what, maybe 400lb squat?

Anyway, my favorite glute exercises are band walks and sumo deadlifts for time. Try to sumo deadlift 135lbs for 5 straight minutes. If your glute don't start doing something, you probably died anyway.
    I was also looking into the sort of glute amnesia or something. what stretches would you do for tight hip flexors and pre squat/deadlift glute activation?
    USMC

Gym PR's
    S-505x2 PB-365x2 D-555x2

Reghe88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you must do deep squat with stop of 1 second in the lowest part of the movement, deep box squat and deficit deadlift, you'll have a very huge glutes
    ITALIAN POWERLIFTER (NATIONAL COMPETITOR):

SQUAT: 215 KG

BENCH PRESS: 150 KG

DEADLIFT: 250 KG

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Would be good to hear from people who actually incorporate them and have had success. The main problem for me is trying to fit it in to a workout which inevitably is always a bit rushed due to work/ family demands.

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seriously have always done this and my DL has always been easy to get up. I do them on squat day and before my squats because I feel like it activates my glutes and I squat better if I've done some. I don't go mega heavy just 85% my DL. I used to be embarrassed doing them but now I train at an oly lifters gym and they all do them!
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

Nobody does it better.... NattyAmerica's Avatar
    NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NattyAmerica is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Haven't seen too many strong guys use it in their routine. Chris Duffin actually has a video on stop going heavy on them because you essentially can't achieve true hip extension I believe.

I think the only strong guys I've seen use it is Pete Rubish occasionally and same with Bryce Lewis occasionally.

My right knee tends to buckle in when I squat but that's because my right foot is more externally rotated I believe and hundreds of thousands of OLY lifters Squat w/ their knees coming in and I doubt anyone would say they have weak glutes.

adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think there are better glute accessory movements that have a more carry over to squats/DLs:

Originally Posted by swiftsloth View Post
    tips chris duffin mentions in his video "THE BEST Warm Up for Big Skwaats and Deadlifts (Ft. Chris Duffin)"
    (can't post because post count)

and some light GHR in-between sets of squats or deadlifts just in case my glutes weren't already firing 100% has WORKED FOR ME.

great glute activation & squat/DL warmup
    Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jisoku will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pete rubish swears by hip thrusts. I've never done them myself so idk, my weaknesses seem to be in other areas than lockout.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like hip thrusts, I definitely get good glute activation doing them and I feel it helps my squat and deadlifts. Whether or not they fit in your training routine depends on your current weak spots and how much training room you have. In your particular situation it sounds like they would make sense.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NattyAmerica View Post
    I believe and hundreds of thousands of OLY lifters Squat w/ their knees coming in and I doubt anyone would say they have weak glutes.
    This can actually be a mechanical advantage. The knee twitches and comes it but as they finish the squat, the knee turns back out. This is different from when beginners squat and their knees cave- that’s typically due to a weakness
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by scotpak1979 View Post
    Would be good to hear from people who actually incorporate them and have had success. The main problem for me is trying to fit it in to a workout which inevitably is always a bit rushed due to work/ family demands.
    anecdote...I know of a gym where the coach programs 1rm barbell hip thrusts. they have THREE guys that can do 800+, and one guy can do 900lbs on a hip thrust.

those three guys all pull less than 600lbs.

anecdotally....not worthwhile.

i'm with hamburgertrain on these. good for developing glutes (having my gf do them as she wants a bigger booty) don't really think they carryover to the powerlifts.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Quit obsessing over glutes and hamstrings.

Squat as deep and upright as you can, in whatever bar position is comfortable, get those quads as big and strong as you can. Lots of volume in 65-85% range. Quality reps and as much force as you can. Add some pause sets, front and back.

Hamstring/Glute work is just assistance. Don't over think it.

adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GetHimABodyBag View Post
    Quit obsessing over glutes and hamstrings.

Squat as deep and upright as you can,
    in whatever bar position is comfortable, get those quads as big and strong as you can. Lots of volume in 65-85% range. Quality reps and as much force as you can. Add some pause sets, front and back.

Hamstring/Glute work is just assistance. Don't over think it.
    This is pretty dumb advice for powerlifting...

for oly lifting this might be true, but in PLing you don't get extra points for squatting deeper than necessary as according to the rulebook.

And if you think your quads are more important than your posterior chain for the powerlifts I've got some bad newz brah...
    Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    I did them as my main lower movement for several months (for posture) and hit numerous work sets upwards of 7 plates and afterwards my squat did noticeably improve despite not having squatted or worked quads for a LONG time; HOWEVER, it is much more likely that my stronger squatting was due to having significantly improved posture. I had some pretty bad APT and it negatively affected my squat.

In retrospect shooting for 5RM and 3RM's for a lift designed for posture is just dumb. Sure you get a ton of looks and congrats from gym regulars for thrusting 750 for sets of 5, but most guys who are familiar with the lift and actually know think it is silly. That's like shooting for 1RM PRs with face pulls. I legit feel dumb now for having done it.
    Experience, not just theory

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I tried them and got good glute hypertrophy especially in the upper gluteus maximus - but my max stayed about the same. I have a "try anything twice" attitude about strategies that don't work for me though...maybe the timing wasn't right.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by adamsz View Post

for oly lifting this might be true, but in PLing you don't get extra points for squatting deeper than necessary as according to the rulebook.

And if you think your quads are more important than your posterior chain for the powerlifts I've got some bad newz brah...
    Deep squats strengthen the glutes and hams, you are not getting out of the hole unless they are strong, OP issue will take care of itself by deep squatting. The OP never mentioned being a competitve PL btw.

When it comes to the squat, the Quads are more important. They also play a role in strength off the floor. Glute/hamstring obsession is from Louie/Westside/Geared, well intentioned but misplaced for general strength, athletes, and raw lifters.

Try some fronts, high bar, pause fronts, pause high bar work. In fact you can do these variations everyday. Ed Coan and Dan Green have similar views on the importance of quads.
    I do back work every training session btw, big and strong back=strong everything.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think some people are drawn to a more quad-dominant squat than others because of body proportions. Seems normal to me for different people to think different muscles are the most important in their squat....they probably have different body proportions too.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000) Jwilliams2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to become better at squatting, practice squatting, if you want to be better at deadlifts...practice deadlifts
    NutritionLeaders

B-520
    S-850 (w/wraps)
    D-725

FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NattyAmerica View Post
    Haven't seen too many strong guys use it in their routine. Chris Duffin actually has a video on stop going heavy on them because you essentially can't achieve true hip extension I believe.

I think the only strong guys I've seen use it is Pete Rubish occasionally and same with Bryce Lewis occasionally.

My right knee tends to buckle in when I squat but that's because my right foot is more externally rotated I believe and hundreds of thousands of OLY lifters Squat w/ their knees coming in and I doubt anyone would say they have weak glutes.
    Pete rubish mentioned in his new video after trying hip thrusts they have no carry over to strength in squat/deadlift and are a worthless excersie for strength but could be good for glute hypertrophy.

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by adamsz View Post

maybe you squat more than 4 hundo if you worked your quads more, just saying', no hate i just don't understand why you would think posterior chain so much more important than quads
    Recovering fatass

NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000) NeverDeload is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jwilliams2 View Post
    If you want to become better at squatting, practice squatting, if you want to be better at deadlifts...practice deadlifts
    Lol, this.
    330 squat (no wraps) - 237 bench - 457 deadlift (IPF approved bar) - 132 bodyweight
    375 squat (no wraps) - 275 bench - 518 deadlift (IPF approved bar) - 148 bodyweight
    430 squat (no wraps) - 331 bench - 535 deadlift (IPF approved bar) - 165 bodyweight

Originally Posted by samsont View Post
    maybe you squat more than 4 hundo if you worked your quads more, just saying', no hate i just don't understand why you would think posterior chain so much more important than quads
    It's actually rather quite the opposite: the reason my squat is so low is actually because I UNDERESTIMATED the importance of the glutes in powerlifting.

For my first 2 years of lifting I had no idea how to activate my glutes at all. As a result all of my DLs were essentially SLDLs and my squats were primary all quads and lower back. This lead to me tearing my groin in a meet in 2013. I met with a well-respected sports chiro here (same guy who Duffin has used for all of his rehabs after every major injury) after and conducted a battery of tests, which is when I learned I had minimal to no glute activation at all. The chiro explained that the reason I got injured in the first place was because I was hyper-compensating with all the smaller muscle groups in the area (e.g. groin muscles) because I didn't know how to use my glutes.

After tearing my pec at the end of that year I took most of 2014 off training, and came back this year and learned how to activate my glutes by working with a PT. Doing this I fixed my deadlift form and it has been increasing by leaps and bounds. As for my squat, despite over 2 years passing, whenever I start squatting again my groin quickly acts up again, and I back off and just decide to focus on my bench and DL. My weak squat is NOT the result of weak quads, but rather a lack of knowing how to activate my glutes in the past and it being relatively untrained compared to my other 2 lifts. I really do need to work with a PT again to sort out the chronic groin issue, but I haven't gotten around to it yet due to financial constraints and, self-admittedly, laziness.

TL;DR - I never said that the quads aren't vastly important for powerlifting, but to say they're more important than your posterior chain is dumb IMO.

308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hip thrusts are stupid and mostly useless for powerlifting but then again I know an Asian kid who did them religiously and had ridiculously strong glutes as a result. Squatted 500, pulled 600, benched 195 at 170 pounds bodyweight. Ugliest technique ever but goddamn did he have serious hip extension strength.

Pretty much everything works if you do it 110%.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    They're a good glute exercise, but I don't think it's made any difference to my squat or deadlift numbers when I have them in my program vs when I leave them out. They have definitely improved the quality of my squats and deadlifts, though.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheOrb87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They are good to do if you want to fuk like a jackhammer in bed, but for squats or deadlifts? Never found any significant difference by adding them.

I would just focus on the sticking points in both movements and work from there. Use any means possible, chains, bands, blocks, etc.

That should be able to be enough to carry over on both exercises.
    Deadliftin Crew
    ********: http://www.********.com/deadlift.workouts
    www.deadliftworkouts.com

"Synthol man...do you even lift bro? No wonder gas is so expensive the guy has injected half the oil reserves into his arms. I do not salute you."