Babs2574 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Low Protein Nutrition Plan//Macros

This is the first time posting on this, so bare with me. I know this has been discussed on other threads on how to go on a lower protein diet, and why would you even think of such a thing.

Well, I am restricted by my doctor to only get in 60-75g (tops) of protein from all sources per day. My doctor gave me the specific range, also a sodium restriction which is not a problem for me and sent me on my way. Just gave me numbers. So I just did what I was told, just restricting those, gained 50lbs because I didn't know what I was doing and was too sick to exercise. I did end up meeting with 4 nutritionists in the last 3 years, spoke to 3 more and a dietician that have not really been able to help me come up with a plan that I can use for the rest of my life.

I did slowly start exercising adding in weight lifting and I have about 20lbs left to lose. I feel completely lost, what I had been doing to lose the first 30 isn't working. It kept me at a calorie range that was under 1200 calories per day and I have been trying to keep it above that. I don't even know what it should be at, I think around 1350 for the programs I am doing, but I am just concentrating on getting it above 1200 and within my protein limits. If I go over with protein, I can have a sever reaction causing me to go to the ER, so I must log, weigh, measure all my food each day. Since I am trying to get my calories up (eating about 90% clean) I have gained weight. Other than that, I have come to a complete hault with any loss at all since January. (actually a bit higher now). I don't know what my macros should look like either. Its a good visual tool for me to use. I know my protein % is about in the 20% range. But I have no clue what the other two should be. The one nutritionist said 50% carbs, which was way too high, and this new one I am working with online gave me 45% Carbs with 35% fats. I am not sure if that is high for fats or not. But even if my eating is perfect I am still not losing anything and still not seeing any progress with measurements either. I have been begging for help for over a year and nobody can or will help me figure this out so it works. So I thought I would shoot this out there to see if anyone can help.

As far as seeing muscle gain, I actually have. I am not sure who posted that people on limited protein diets cannot get muscle, but I am proof that you can. I am not huge by any means, and I am a work in progress, but not giving up. I want to be healthy and I have taken baby steps working my butt off, on my own to get here. Now I need help with a nutrition plan and macros so I can get to my goal and maintain it after. Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want to try this: 45% Carbs with 35% fats,

Start with, say, 1400 calories ( thats low for your size and you might end up at closer to 1600, but if you are cutting then you can try it)

multiply by 45%, 35% and 20%

Then divide the protein and carbs calories by 4 to get the number of grams you must consume. Divide fat calories by 9 to get the number of grams.

For protein-free fat, you can take fish oil ( I take liquid and chase with juice). I think the body preferentially burns this type of fat but I could be wrong. Can eat fatty meats when you do eat meat.

I think your best bet for keeping your protein low and feeling good on 45% carbs is going to be a plant heavy diet- find vegetables and (some) fruits that you like, because they won't add too many calories or protein, and the carbs break down slowly and will keep you feeling good. Salads, etc.

I'm really surprised you'd gain weight on 1200. Are you definitely measuring correctly? Have you seen that youtube video about people who use heaping scoops when they measure and eat more calories than they think?

Maybe its your health condition, but anyway it sounds like you are making progress so stick with it!

I am not sure how or why I could possibly gain on what I am eating. Its possible I am not eating enough, or could be my condition, or just something does not balance. I measure with the exact same containers without it overflowing. With meats I weigh them on a food scale (digital). I do take fish oil daily, so at least I am doing that right. The proteins I do have, just very limited amounts of like 3oz of meat total and then 2 eggs or egg and egg white, and a protein drink (syntha 6, about 3/4 scoup). The rest would be 5 cups of veggies, 3 cups fruits, trying for the berries or 1/2 banana, orange or apple, 1.5 cups of carbs like yams, brown rice, flatout or occasionally a sandwich thin or 1/2 English muffin, but no breads, crackers, chips, popcorn, pasta. Then there are fats like avocado, coconut or olive oil, nuts, hummus that I will have. So I should concentrate more on the numbers or grams rather than the actual macros? How close would you say I should be? I do use a program that will break all of that down, and I do have it written down for 1350 calories. I am just having a hard time with finding clean items that has a bit higher calories so I don't have to completely stuff myself, which is what I am doing now. So with the macros being at 45% carbs, 35%Fats and 20% Protein, would you say these are realistic numbers? I really do appreciate your feedback, thank you so much!

nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyabc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would probably ask your dr. for best macros bc I don't know if your health condition needs more less/fat etc. What is your main question, how to eat enough calories using only carbs or fat? But you also want to lose weight?

But if your macros are ok, you could try a little more healthy fats and fewer carbs and see if that helps. Maybe the yams or rice are stalling your loss. Or could you be undermeasuring the fats?

DId you lose lots of muscle? If so you might need to lift heavy until you get more muscle back.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are relatively active it's extremely unlikely you wouldn't lose weight on 1200 calories.

Your first inclination will probably be to deny this but consider it for a moment.

Calorie under reporting is very common. Are you weighing EVERYTHING you eat and drink? Did you include oils for cooking etc.

If you're actually consuming 1200 calories and not losing any weight I'd suggest you increase activity, preferably lifting.

Ps. Using percentages for macros is an outdated method. Use 0.4 gram per lb for fat as a minimum.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 08-11-2015 at 03:14 AM.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. I do in fact measure every single thing. Yes, I really do. Tablespoons, teaspoons, cups, and have a scale for meats. I do not eyeball anything. My condition requires that I do not go over a certain amount of protein, so I simply must measure everything and record it into a program (I use 2 programs to make sure that I am not way off, I use Livestrong AND myfitnesspal) Unless these two programs are way off on the ability to add properly, I am getting (now) 1200-1350 for calories. I am really trying for the 1350. I am trying my best at this but once I hit my protein marker, I must stop eating. So every day is planned in advance and the first good hour of the morning is spent tweaking numbers to try to make it work, if protein is too high, I have been using macros/numbers for carbs and fats, but I am not sure if those are right. That is one of my questions, if the macros that were given to me by a nutritionist recommended by my doctor (he is not a nutritionist so doesn't have a clue) are correct for someone wanting to lose weight. For workouts.... I am thinking I could go ahead and add more to the schedule I have, but would that also require me to eat more? And if I am not eating enough, wouldn't this hurt my results? I work out 30 min to 1 hr daily. I do not miss workouts. The workouts consist of 2 Combat cardio, a very active rest day on sunday with core yoga and a 15 to 20 min hiit. I have 2 days I work legs with weights, weighted cardio and an upper body day with weights. I don't really want to add to this as you can see its pretty full. How I cannot lose weight when I was consuming or am consuming 1200 calories roughly is beyond me. I don't understand it, and I am frustrated by it. I can only think its not balanced out right with the macros or I am eating so low in calories with what I am doing for exercise that my body is just hanging on to everything. For muscle mass, I do have a decent amount of muscle considering the issues I have been having. The .4 you suggested in using for protein seems to look like it would work giving me 67g of protein. That is pretty close to my max for protein. If I use this what would the carbs and fats look like then? I know the higher amount of calories I get the macros are going to be different because the protein must remain the same.... and I am looking at higher amounts of fats and carbs. My other question is which one of these is better to have higher? Some say go for lower carbs and higher fat. Carbs are the enemy... same things goes for fats, so I am confused on what it should look like, or at least have a guide for a somewhat target for macros.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Please use paragraphs.

Cups are not a reliable way of tracking food intake, use your scale.

The .4 I suggested was for fats, not for protein.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 08-11-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Please use paragraphs.

Cups are not a reliable way of tracking food intake, use your scale.

The .4 I suggested was for fats, not for protein.
    ^^ this. Measuring spoons/cups are very inaccurate. You are probably unknowingly, underreporting your calories. Also, use the USDA nutrition database -- way more accurate than myfitnesspal.

Watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JVjWPclrWVY

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    as others have said, cups etc are inaccurate, weigh everything.
    use an online calculator to work out your required calories (I just plugged in your stats and got 2100kcals if you work out 3x week for 1 hour), then subtract 10%. eat this for a couple of weeks, if youre not losing subtract another 100kcals. repeat until you are losing steadily.

as for macros its easy - 60-75g = 240-300kcals. subtract this from your total and divide the rest up between carbs and fats however you like.

as others have said, cups etc are inaccurate, weigh everything.
    use an online calculator to work out your required calories (I just plugged in your stats and got 2100kcals if you work out 3x week for 1 hour), then subtract 10%. eat this for a couple of weeks, if youre not losing subtract another 100kcals. repeat until you are losing steadily.

as for macros its easy - 60-75g = 240-300kcals. subtract this from your total and divide the rest up between carbs and fats however you like.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so apparently everything I have been doing is wrong. I am using a scale and cups/tsp/ tbps to measure all my foods (I do level the cups, not have them heaping over) and I guess I will figure out another way to measure things that cannot be weighed on the scale. The rest of the suggestions just made my head explode. I understand that calculations say for me to be eating more than I am.... but apparently I am measuring wrong and underestimating it, so not quite sure what to do there. But if you say to take 10% off of 2100 calories, that would be 1890 I am supposed to eat? I cannot eat that much. I am having a hard enough time trying to get in 1300 calories. The few times I got up in calories, I gained weight. And where its stated to divide up carbs and fats however I want to... well, that is where I am having a hard time. I don't' know what it should be. Should I opt for lower fats or lower carbs? I am sorry, I just am completely frustrated now, having to completely demolish the way I have been doing things as far as making sure everything is weighed or measured, recorded, tracked, and now I find out its all wrong, I need to figure out how to completely do it over again, and now look at another database when I use 2 to track to make sure that its right or as close as possible. All the info I record I double check from the packaging, or look up to see what the calories are if not packaged. Thank you for those that have answered and tried to help, I am just about to throw in the flag.

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    don't give up, all you need to do is make a few tweaks. I think part of the problem is you are stressing too much. use one tracker/database and a food scale. EVERYTHING can be weighed and measured using a scale and a jug. enter this on your chosen tracker and check with the packet. on most of these things once you track an item it goes into your 'favourites' or stored item so in future you just have to look it up on that list, you don't have to enter it all again.
    as for the fats and carbs, start at weight x 0.5g for easy maths and see how you go. it really is a case of see how your body responds.
    also 1890 kcals isn't loads, what is it you find hard? if you're having trouble meeting this then upping your fats could be a good idea as these are the most calorie dense. you may put on a little weight in the fist few weeks as you have been undereating, but then you will stabilise and you can see where to go from there.

What is your lifting routine? I just started lifting with weights after like a year hiatus. I did yoga and pilates stuff a bit at home for rehab so I wasn't doing nothing.

Anyway....I can't believe it. After either 2 or 3 weight sessions and one swim, I am fitter/slimmer looking than in a long time, and I have been eating the same or even a little more.

It's amazing what weights do for your metabolism. Do you think you could do more on that end?

I am not getting that much protein either, but def. seeing muscle growth and strength.

My workout routine is detailed above on 8/11 post. My restrictions are also detailed above. But again, i am very limited on protein. I can only get 70g per day total in all forms. That will remain the same if i eat 1200 calories or 2000 calories. Being this limited, i have an extremely difficult time trying to get calories in that are clean, since i eat clean 90 % of the time. I also find that amount of food makes me over stuffed to a point of almost being sick, and i am miserable the rest of the day and night. I don't find that using my containers and leveling them off the way i have been should be a problem. I will continue to weigh my protein. Just doing math to convert ounces to dry cups so i can log it will just invite more areas for errors. I think if i was getting too many calories, it would be something i may need to look into, but this is the first i have ever heard of cups being inaccurate when leveled properly. Being i must stay within my protein limits or i go to the ER, i am very careful. So i am now really confused what i should be shooting for, if i should stay with trying to stay around the 1320 as recommended by the main program i am doing? Or should i be increasing it because the one other program i am doing, its at 1500, and the third i am not sure, but its more intense, weight lifting with cardio that i just do 1x per week. Since i am mashing it together, i am just not sure what to do.