JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

no thanks, doc, I got this

so the other day, I woke up and my neck was all sorts of screwed up. Literally could not turn my head to the right without wanting to scream.

I see my doctor, who immediately blames lifting, says I need physical therapy, XRays....dude, maybe just a muscle relaxer?

No, and stop lifting.

Riiiight.

SO I take his advice, tell him Im going to call for a PT appointment and just got busy working and didn't call. Last night, I was so bored, I said to hell with it, I'll just do a quick session in the basement.

Started with overhead squats - almost instantly, the knot in my neck started to unravel. Still hurt though, but a lot less.

Jumped into medicine ball push ups - knot starts to die off a little more with each rep - even though I felt a bit like the tin man, I soldiered on.

Hit the heavy bag, knot is almost gone at this point. Feeling better, I moved onto the overhead press - knot eliminated, I get full range of motion back in my neck. About 2 hours goes by, I ended up doing a complete workout when I only expected to be down there 30 minutes.

Popped a few asprin, chugged some water and fell asleep.

Woke up, and felt great.

Doctors office calls a minute ago asking if I was going to schedule the XRays and PT.

No thanks. I fixed it.

"huh?"

I fixed it.

"how did you do that?"

Worked out.

"the discharge instructions said not to."

Yeah, I got a little stir crazy and worked out for 2 hours, I feel better now, tell doctor ### I said thanks, but Im all set.

- I think his receptionist was a tad startled.
    Yes, I am an extremist. Thanks for noticing. - Ted Nugent

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Kink in the neck. Those suck! I really hate them on my motorcycle. It sure makes watching for traffic difficult. Your doc is a little nuts!

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This story is very confusing.

The OP goes to the doctor, gets advice from the doctor, then ignores said advice from the doctor. Why go to the doctor in the first place? Am I missing something?

I wonder... If the OP has a relapse and then numbness down the left arm, will he go to said doctor again, or just pop a couple of aspirins and take a nap?

JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well, had he just given me a muscle relaxer, hell a ******** script, I'd have been fine. This day and age of referrals, writing labs, bloodwork etc - all costs money, money out of my pocket and keeps a patient down a hell of a lot longer than necessary all for the sake of the almighty doctor.

Yeah, I went to a doctor, sought help, not advice and was sent home with a list of people to call. That you're comparing this to a myocardial infarction tells me that a) you suffer from white coat syndrome, b) don't trust your own instincts or c) both. How this is even remotely confusing is well, confusing to me. Sought help. Didn't get help. Advice was contrary to what I thought I needed. Pushed through. Profit.

I have something I'm trying to accomplish here. Telling me to stop lifting when my mechanism of injury is the only thing discussed and the injury itself isn't even examined (he didn't even so much as palpate the area), yeah, I question his abilities, advice and treatment protocols.

Jesse Ventura once said in Predator - "I ain't got time to bleed."

THat said, I'll be consulting with a chiropractor in the near future and finally finding a doctor specializing in sports medicine. Every doctor I've seen aside from a cardiologist has frowned upon weight lifting in favor of cardio, cardio, cardio for "safety" when that kind of routine has never worked for me.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post

The OP goes to the doctor, gets advice from the doctor, then ignores said advice from the doctor. Why go to the doctor in the first place? Am I missing something?

I wonder... If the OP has a relapse and then numbness down the left arm, will he go to said doctor again, or just pop a couple of aspirins and take a nap?

you're telling me - I had a bike for a long time and this has happened before - I suspect its got something to do with an old car accident injury because it happens roughly every summer and usually after hot nights sleeping next to the AC.

Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    Kink in the neck. Those suck! I really hate them on my motorcycle. It sure makes watching for traffic difficult. Your doc is a little nuts!

segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't trust 90% of the doctors out there these days. They are quick just to make a quick judgement, and get on to the next patient. You really need to do your research and use your common sense. Good job.

Must suck to have to pay for medical services though...

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I think it makes perfect sense, what are you smoking Stebo?!

Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by segment View Post
    I don't trust 90% of the doctors out there these days. They are quick just to make a quick judgement, and get on to the next patient. You really need to do your research and use your common sense. Good job.

IMO its worth the effort to find the 10% or whatever its probably better than 1 in 10, it just sucks when they retire and you have to start over again.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JungleBoots View Post
    That you're comparing this to a myocardial infarction tells me that a) you suffer from white coat syndrome, b) don't trust your own instincts or c) both.
    I don't even know WTF this means. Just looks like some bullshyt to justify your rant.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I think it makes perfect sense, what are you smoking Stebo?!

Yeah. These doctor hate threads suck.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would of seen a chiropractor instead and one that also works with athletes.
    Some doctors these days are so out of touch.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All I got is woke with a stiff neck that needed to work itself out.

I'm not sure why it turned into such a big deal.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

sorry.

I'll type slower for you next time.

I don't even know WTF this means. Just looks like some bullshyt to justify your rant.

Yeah. These doctor hate threads suck.

sorry.

I'll type slower for you next time.
    So hip. So witty.

Maybe next time you wake up with a stiff neck, you'll start another riveting thread about it and blame another doctor because you were too big of a pussy just to tough it out.

SMH

Jeez, who lit your tampon string today?

So hip. So witty.

Maybe next time you wake up with a stiff neck, you'll start another riveting thread about it and blame another doctor because you were too big of a pussy just to tough it out.

SMH

Oh. The tampon dig. I get it.

You believe that anyone who would disagree with you must have female tendencies. Very classy and very anti-woman of you. Again... SMH

Inb4 you shoot a few more corny one liners at me.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

^ This 100%

I'm mean seriously, what did you think the doctor was gonna do, ask for a vid of your form ? Or better yet call you a pussy and send you home. No wait..... you expected a back rub, that would be cool.

The man was doing his job, get over it. We are all old enough here to know whats going to happen at the doctors office when we come in with a injury. My doctor knows I lift and he never tells me not to lift. He may advise me to back off until I get better but isn't that good advise ?

What on earth did you want him to do ? Also I think your full of it that he would tell you to never lift at all forever.

Go ahead and insult me, I'm ready.

No need, I mostly agree with you. Lesson learned, see someone like a chiropractor on the future.

Originally Posted by JimmyJonny View Post
    ^ This 100%

I'm mean seriously, what did you think the doctor was gonna do, ask for a vid of your form ? Or better yet call you a pussy and send you home. No wait..... you expected a back rub, that would be cool.

The man was doing his job, get over it. We are all old enough here to know whats going to happen at the doctors office when we come in with a injury. My doctor knows I lift and he never tells me not to lift. He may advise me to back off until I get better but isn't that good advise ?

What on earth did you want him to do ? Also I think your full of it that he would tell you to never lift at all forever.

Go ahead and insult me, I'm ready.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No need, I mostly agree with you. Lesson learned, see someone like a chiropractor on the future.

I had a numbness in my right arm once. Chiro was suggested by some well meaning folks. Fact: One visit to the chiro with my issue, and I may not be walking today. Now, a good chiro would have referred me for an MRI (or to a doctor who could order one) prior to doing any work on me, given my symptoms. I live 10 miles from the biggest (or one of) chiro school in the world. Not all are created equal.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To Quote the great power lifter Betty White...."If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding."
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I say this respectfully...

But if you've got a neck that's "all sorts of screwed up" the last thing you should be doing is overhead squats. You are very fortunate it apparently was a muscle cramp and not a disc or a pinched nerve.

Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you do not trust your Dr. You are going to the wrong Dr.

mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by segment View Post

I'm with you man. I don't trust most that I have dealt with either. I guess I have a pretty good reason though. One almost killed me in 2008. Minor outpatient surgery turned into major infection in neck/ heart area. 24 hours after surgery redness around my neck traveling down my chest. Called surgeon and he sent me to another doctor because he was busy, in surgery, and couldn't see me. Told Doc, "I think I have a bad infection", because a large area around my incision was red and traveling down my body. His reply, " If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck". Gave me a shot of penicillin and sent me home. Wife was furious and sick and got through to the surgeon's nurse who sent me to ER. After about 20 minutes surgeon comes in and has the most sickening look on his face. Informs me I have a very serious infection and he needs to open me up again. If it is too close to my heart gonna life flight me to Iowa City to the nations leading head neck surgeon. Lucky I am here today. He was able to clean me out. I spent 8 days in the hospital 4 in intensive care. I ended up with a big nasty ugly scar. I feel the surgeon was a good guy and I would see him again but the doc who sent me home has no business practicing medicine. I am like you OP, I try and work through most of my problems on my own. Just because they have the title of Doctor doesn't mean **** to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are good ones, just not around here.
    Starting weight - 184 ~ Goal weight - 172

Jan 1-184|Jan 8-182.8|Jan 15-xxx|Jan 22-184|Jan 29-xxx|Total-xxx
    Feb 5-xxx|Feb 12-xxx|Feb 19-xxx|Feb 26-xxx|Total-xxx
    Mar 5-xxx|Mar 12-xxx|Mar 19-xxx|Mar 26-xxx|Total-xxx

Learned that lesson once myself, so to all who thought I was an *******, I apologize, really wasn't looking to come off that way. I had a surgery for a naval hernia years ago, there were complications that I don't really feel like getting into right here, but the cavalier attitude of the staff and surgeon, who never even saw me after the surgery, was enough to put me off from them altogether.

fast forward to the present, Ive been given a load of horse**** time after time from doctors about losing weight. SO I did, to the tune of 80+ pounds in less than a year. And when I tell them how I did it, the advice is the same as it was the other day - no, don't lift, stick to cardio and this variation of dieting or that one, or sit through a nutrition class to tell me things I've gleaned from researching and experimenting myself.

so yeah, I'm a tad put off by doctors. and yeah, what did I expect? I should have known better than to hear anything except what I heard because god forbid you ask for something for pain or what Im being told now is a likely muscle spasm that can be worked out through chiropractic, because they're all afraid of liability. Again, I get it and I apologize if the post was needlessly abrasive.

but not the tampon jokes. I still think those are funny.

Originally Posted by mmobley View Post
    I'm with you man. I don't trust most that I have dealt with either. I guess I have a pretty good reason though. One almost killed me in 2008. Minor outpatient surgery turned into major infection in neck/ heart area. 24 hours after surgery redness around my neck traveling down my chest. Called surgeon and he sent me to another doctor because he was busy, in surgery, and couldn't see me. Told Doc, "I think I have a bad infection", because a large area around my incision was red and traveling down my body. His reply, " If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably is a duck". Gave me a shot of penicillin and sent me home. Wife was furious and sick and got through to the surgeon's nurse who sent me to ER. After about 20 minutes surgeon comes in and has the most sickening look on his face. Informs me I have a very serious infection and he needs to open me up again. If it is too close to my heart gonna life flight me to Iowa City to the nations leading head neck surgeon. Lucky I am here today. He was able to clean me out. I spent 8 days in the hospital 4 in intensive care. I ended up with a big nasty ugly scar. I feel the surgeon was a good guy and I would see him again but the doc who sent me home has no business practicing medicine. I am like you OP, I try and work through most of my problems on my own. Just because they have the title of Doctor doesn't mean **** to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are good ones, just not around here.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I got to thinking about your anti-lifting doctors and one idea I thought of is to talk to a real sports chiro and ask them for a good doctor. I've noticed that they usually don't agree with eachother but mine get along and work with eachother.

Just a thought.......

I have an appointment with a sports oriented chiro and am switching primaries, something I ought've done some time ago. I may bring that up w/him during the visit.

thanks

Originally Posted by JimmyJonny View Post
    I got to thinking about your anti-lifting doctors and one idea I thought of is to talk to a real sports chiro and ask them for a good doctor. I've noticed that they usually don't agree with eachother but mine get along and work with eachother.

Just a thought.......

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Doctors that tell you what you want to hear are the best.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Doctors that tell you what you want to hear are the best.
    Jeez, who lit your tampon string today?- JungleBoots

Nope. Still not funny. Still didn't laugh.

Jeez, who lit your tampon string today?- JungleBoots

Nope. Still not funny. Still didn't laugh.
    Why anyone would stray away from, "Who peed in your Cheerios today" is beyond me. Not necessarily funny, but tried and true for sure.