Thread: -help-

RosexBud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation -help-

So I'm new here, hi. ^.^ So recently I've been trying to get back into exercise after a while. All I really want is to just be toned/lean (especially on the abs c, no major bulk, really..

I'm 17, I sort of have a petite frame, I'm 5'3", my weight usually ranges around 93-105. My metabolism is CRAZY and it's hard for me to gain weight. ._. I have no idea what my percentage of body fat is... And I can't put in any measurements of my body because I no have measuring tape to measure properly, aha. xD

I THINK my overall diet is ok. Considering as I live under my parents roof still, I eat whatever they have and I can't really buy my own ingrediants and things because I'm broke and don't have a job yet. >.> I try and drink as much water as I can but not sure if I'm drinking 'enough'. Usually I have a snack in between the hours of 3 & 4 (which is usually a piece of fruit) and for breakfast, it depends if I even wake up during that time to eat. For desert, it depends what's in the house. xD But I'm trying to eat more fruit.

To give a little background, when I was younger, my diet wasn't as great. Mostly because I didn't like my body because I thought it was too 'bony' and I thought I looked like a skeleton. I had BAAAD body confidence.. I never wore ANYTHING that would expose my legs and arms, even if it was hot out. Anyways, in order to try to gain weight, I did it the wrong way and tried to eat as much junk as I could but, that didn't do crap. All it did was make me feel horrible because I was putting not-so-great-stuff into my body 24/7 and I used to have an addiction with soda.

But now I've cut off the soda and only have it occasionally. I found sparkling water a while ago and I LOVE. IT!!! It's a great substitude for soda because it's sort of fizzy like it, but it doesn't replace water itself.

So yeah I think that's it. Overall, I just want to get myself in better shape than I was before and feel good in my own body. OH and another thing: I have all sorts workout dvd's that I can borrow from my mom and I'm trying to use those. Most of what I'm doing is Pilates-related and some cardio things to get my heart going during points inbetween the workout.

Thanks for reading!

Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you just want to get leaned out, you're already on the right track.
    It could be argued that you should incorporate weight training the same way men do, but I know for a fact that you're thin at 5"3 105ish so you're already close to your goal.
    If you want to go with weight, look at the stickies on this forum for routines (Weights will not turn you bulky or into a man, that is myth) and follow their advice.
    If not, just keep up what you're doing.

Either way, you should find out your maintenance calorie number (Google a Maintenance Calorie Calculator) and eat less than that amount EVERY SINGLE DAY. 3500 Calories = 1 pound, so if you reduce it by 500 a day you will see a pound a week lost. This will help you get a more lean muscle look as opposed to a skinnyfat look provided you are working out as well. I'd suggest only 250 less per day though, or maybe not even that much because at the high end of your weight range (105) your maintenance number is only going to be like 1800 or something. If you cut that down to 1500 or even further to 1300, you are barely even getting to eat anything in the day. Tough situation, I might have the numbers a bit low but you get the idea. Unless you don't mind not eating much!
    Lifting post-traumatic injuries and getting stronger every day :D
    Doc's said 1/4/15 could not squat anymore or lift 300 pounds.
    As of 7/17/21: 515/375/610
    Not letting injuries stop me.

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This thread is a good place to start >>> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=168176343

Originally Posted by Hajikikun View Post
    If you just want to get leaned out, you're already on the right track.
    It could be argued that you should incorporate weight training the same way men do, but I know for a fact that you're thin at 5"3 105ish so you're already close to your goal.
    If you want to go with weight, look at the stickies on this forum for routines (Weights will not turn you bulky or into a man, that is myth) and follow their advice.
    If not, just keep up what you're doing.

Either way, you should find out your maintenance calorie number (Google a Maintenance Calorie Calculator) and eat less than that amount EVERY SINGLE DAY. 3500 Calories = 1 pound, so if you reduce it by 500 a day you will see a pound a week lost. This will help you get a more lean muscle look as opposed to a skinnyfat look provided you are working out as well. I'd suggest only 250 less per day though, or maybe not even that much because at the high end of your weight range (105) your maintenance number is only going to be like 1800 or something. If you cut that down to 1500 or even further to 1300, you are barely even getting to eat anything in the day. Tough situation, I might have the numbers a bit low but you get the idea. Unless you don't mind not eating much!
    I don't know if I can reduce the amount that I eat if that's what you're saying. I found a calorie maintenance calculator online and it said mine was 1895.. I don't really think I need to lose MORE weight otherwise I'd look even skinnier than normal. I don't have all that much to lose. >.> I also entered in my weight and height in a BMI calculator and even though if I'm like 105 at my most, I'm still underweight according to it, but not dangerously underweight. I'm still functioning fine and feel ok. But if I loose even MORE weight ontop of my fast metabolism O-O uh.. yeah no. Sorry if I missed your point or if I didn't read it correctly. To the part when you mentioned the 1 pount a week lost. I don't think that's TOO drastic. .-. I just don't want to lose so much that I'll be dangerously underweight.

Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hajikikun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RosexBud View Post
    I don't know if I can reduce the amount that I eat if that's what you're saying. I found a calorie maintenance calculator online and it said mine was 1895.. I don't really think I need to lose MORE weight otherwise I'd look even skinnier than normal. I don't have all that much to lose. >.> I also entered in my weight and height in a BMI calculator and even though if I'm like 105 at my most, I'm still underweight according to it, but not dangerously underweight. I'm still functioning fine and feel ok. But if I loose even MORE weight ontop of my fast metabolism O-O uh.. yeah no. Sorry if I missed your point or if I didn't read it correctly. To the part when you mentioned the 1 pount a week lost. I don't think that's TOO drastic. .-. I just don't want to lose so much that I'll be dangerously underweight.

My BMI is 31 and says I'm obese; Do not pay attention to BMI numbers lol.
    You have 3 choices: Cut (Lower cals), Maintain (obvious), Bulk (Increase cals).
    For you, since you do not want to bulk up at all, you only have one of the other two options to pick from. But, in order to lose some body fat you will have to lose weight. Can't lose fat and stay the same weight! You can, however, lose some body fat and try to build muscle. You're not "turning fat into muscle", you are simply replacing it. You burn off the fat, put muscle in it's place. Theoretically.
    So, aim for your maintenance number and increase your intensity. Maybe do weight training (if possible/available) 3 days a week and on off days do your DVD routines? My girlfriend personally did one called Butt Bible (google/youtube it) and Brazillian something or other, they are DVD programs that got her leaned out pretty nicely. She then progressed to weight training and has not looked back. Mind you, her weight lifting is very light (I think she is doing squats with 60lbs for 30 reps per set) but high reps/volume. Similar structure for her other muscle groups/lifts. Maybe not the most practical way to do it, but that is what has worked for her.
    You need to mostly just pick a place to start and, well, start. See how your body responds.
    If you get results on just DVD stuff, and you're happy, then stick with it.
    If weight training works for you, stick with it.
    Also look into Calisthenics (Google it).

Originally Posted by Hajikikun View Post
    My BMI is 31 and says I'm obese; Do not pay attention to BMI numbers lol.
    You have 3 choices: Cut (Lower cals), Maintain (obvious), Bulk (Increase cals).
    For you, since you do not want to bulk up at all, you only have one of the other two options to pick from. But, in order to lose some body fat you will have to lose weight. Can't lose fat and stay the same weight! You can, however, lose some body fat and try to build muscle. You're not "turning fat into muscle", you are simply replacing it. You burn off the fat, put muscle in it's place. Theoretically.
    So, aim for your maintenance number and increase your intensity. Maybe do weight training (if possible/available) 3 days a week and on off days do your DVD routines? My girlfriend personally did one called Butt Bible (google/youtube it) and Brazillian something or other, they are DVD programs that got her leaned out pretty nicely. She then progressed to weight training and has not looked back. Mind you, her weight lifting is very light (I think she is doing squats with 60lbs for 30 reps per set) but high reps/volume. Similar structure for her other muscle groups/lifts. Maybe not the most practical way to do it, but that is what has worked for her.
    You need to mostly just pick a place to start and, well, start. See how your body responds.
    If you get results on just DVD stuff, and you're happy, then stick with it.
    If weight training works for you, stick with it.
    Also look into Calisthenics (Google it).
    Ah, ok! I just have to be careful with what I do especially during stretches that involve the spine because I have scoliosis and certain positions that I may go into feel awkward and I can't really go as far. So I just have to do the best I can and not to overdue it, otherwise it could cause injury. D:

In the workout dvd's that I have, it involves pilates and of course Yoga (but the yoga part is more so for stretching) and in the actual workout ones, I use resistance bands and I think they're 5 pound weights. Would those help at all?? Because I can't really go to the gym so I don't have any access to that type of equipment as of now.

Anything is always better than nothing. Impressive physiques can be built with just bodyweight exercises, so yes you will be fine.