cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Too Much Supplements?

I wanted to know if the following list/schedule or supplementation was too much or if anyone would recommend changes, etc. I'm not a fitness expert by any means, I'm in the process of trying to make fitness a lifestyle for myself just to be healthy and strong for my family. Not looking to compete, gain large amounts of mass, just trying to stay fit and burn some fat. Here is my schedule/list:

4am - (2) 500mg L-Carnitine; 1g Glutamine; PWO - Cellucor NO Extreme + NO3 (Workout from 4:30am-5:30am)
    5:30am - 1g Glutamine; Mutli-Vitamin; Creature Creatine (1 serving); 48g Whey Protein (Right after workout)
    6:45am - Breakfast - 3 Hard Boiled Eggs (I eat breakfast at this time as it's when I get to work, I go straight from the gym)
    9:30am - Snack
    12:00pm - (2) 500mg L-Carnitine; 1g Glutamine; Lunch or 48g Whey Protein
    3:00pm - Snack
    5:00pm - Dinner
    6:00pm - 48g Whey Protein

Of course, I eat in between these times and end up taking in about 190g-200g of total protein a day. I'm just wondering, is this supplementation list too much? Am I killing my liver or do you think I'm good? I know this is probably not the best, but I do travel a lot for work and trying to find a good balance to fit my traveling life.
    Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    for a kick off, you could drop the carnitine and the glutamine and not notice a difference in your recovery or wellbeing

unless you have an underlying issue, your liver should be fine with that lot.
    Strong & Unstable

cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cipha5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by faipdeooiad View Post
    for a kick off, you could drop the carnitine and the glutamine and not notice a difference in your recovery or wellbeing

unless you have an underlying issue, your liver should be fine with that lot.
    That's great to hear! I had those in because they said it was good for fat burning, but I guess watching my diet would contribute more huh?

faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by cipha5 View Post
    That's great to hear! I had those in because they said it was good for fat burning, but I guess watching my diet would contribute more huh?
    exactly. a proper diet with a caloric deficit will help you lose more body fat than carnitine ever will
    Strong & Unstable

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    exactly. a proper diet with a caloric deficit will help you lose more body fat than carnitine ever will
    Correct and the glutamine will not aid fat burning either, if anything it may help your digestion and digestional tract.
    You need to start here OP::

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-2.html

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-2.html

i would rather see you invest in a quality Fishoil (get 2-3g EPA/DHA) Daily like Oximega
    and a mutli (OT/Animal Pak) which would be far more effective than carnitine or glutamine for your goals.

Your diet is basically eggs and protein powder. Which does not look very healthy at all, nor do you need to eat 7 times a day, you could spread your meals out further apart to help with satiety and also appetite control and it would be better for muscle protein synthesis

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/u...-Tech-2008.pdf
    http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/o...nd-muscle-mass

Wow, thanks for all the input and the aticles. I will read them for sure. Quick question, if I eat 3 meals a day, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner is that fine even though they may be spaced out between 5-7 hrs?

For fat burn goals, taking out L-Carnitine and Glutamine and replacing it with what you listd or CLA, is that better for fat loss?

Also, do you think adding a fat burner is not necessary?

Wow, thanks for all the input and the aticles. I will read them for sure. Quick question, if I eat 3 meals a day, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner is that fine even though they may be spaced out between 5-7 hrs?

For fat burn goals, taking out L-Carnitine and Glutamine and replacing it with what you listd or CLA, is that better for fat loss?

CLA and 'fat burners' (caffeine pills) are generally as useless as carnitine.

just make sure you're eating properly, training properly and the fat will drop off.

stims like yohimbine can help with appetite suppression
    Strong & Unstable

Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vitalero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bro please dont tell me you really having 4-6 scoops of whey a day.... unless you are 250 lb and bulking there is really no reason for that
    Keeping it real since 1988

Log III :http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169145743

Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tristan95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why dont you spend all that money on things that actually work?
    All I want is a nice girl who loves Jason Genova and knows how to cook poptarts

Originally Posted by Vitalero View Post
    Bro please dont tell me you really having 4-6 scoops of whey a day.... unless you are 250 lb and bulking there is really no reason for that
    I am 220lbs, but trying to get down to 200. I thought you needed to take in as much pgrams of protein per weight you want to be to maintain muscle, no?

CLA and 'fat burners' (caffeine pills) are generally as useless as carnitine.

just make sure you're eating properly, training properly and the fat will drop off.

stims like yohimbine can help with appetite suppression
    Thanks for the tips!!

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am 220lbs, but trying to get down to 200. I thought you needed to take in as much pgrams of protein per weight you want to be to maintain muscle, no?
    Yea but hes right in that 4-6 scoops is a bit too much and that you should be making the majority of your intake from whole foods ESPECIALLY while cutting

Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Yea but hes right in that 4-6 scoops is a bit too much and that you should be making the majority of your intake from whole foods ESPECIALLY while cutting
    I see, I didn't realize it made a difference. Thanks for the great tips everyone, this has been very helpful!

None.
    You need to work on your diet and getting a proper deficit, those supplements are very minor and wont aid much in the grand scheme of things if your caloric deficit is not in place.

Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    None.
    You need to work on your diet and getting a proper deficit, those supplements are very minor and wont aid much in the grand scheme of things if your caloric deficit is not in place.
    I'e read through the articles and thank you for sharing those, very helpful. I am 34 yrs. old, I weigh 220lbs, my lean weight is probably about 180-195lbs, my body fat percentage is probably at 26% is my guess since I last checked a couple years ago. So if I'm understanding correctly and am trying to lose weight and my goal is to get to 190, my take away is:

Calories = 2,280 per day
    Protein = 190g per day
    Fat = 72g per day max

If that's correct, then my meal spacing should be:
    5:30am - Post-Workout Chocolate Milk w/1 scoop 24g whey = 32g protein
    9:30am - Breakfast Chicken Omelette or something that has about 38g-40g protein (actual food)
    1:30pm - Lunch meal that has about 38g-40g protein (actual food)
    5:30pm - Dinner meal that has about 50g protein (actual food)
    8:30pm - Chocolate milk 1 scoop of whey before bed = 32g protein

And all this to be under 2,280 calories and 72g a fat per day and totaling 190g of protein. Does this sound about right and does the supplementation of whey protein seem ok?
    Last edited by cipha5; 07-20-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heizz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you are definitely in the correct direction by looking at the amount of calories you should be consistently consuming on a day to day basis. Following your required macro goals will lead you to your desired results. There are great calorie counter apps, such as MyFitnessPal, where you can easily track the amount of calories you are consuming (scanning barcodes of foods, creating foods, etc.). I highly recommend looking at some of the great free apps available to help you track your calories/macros.

Also remember that the number you calculate is an estimation. So track yourself week to week to see if these calories are right for you, and adjust accordingly. Also you seem to be heavily focused on timing of your meals at the moment, and I would suggest to first conquer the basis of getting these calories/macros into your system for whatever time is convenient for you.

Best of luck OP! Glad to see that you're going to be following your cals! It really is the best way to achieve your goals!
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Lead Representative ✔
    ► Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand ◄
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com
    Fuel Your Ambition!

Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sozzeled is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Heizz View Post
    OP, you are definitely in the correct direction by looking at the amount of calories you should be consistently consuming on a day to day basis. Following your required macro goals will lead you to your desired results. There are great calorie counter apps, such as MyFitnessPal, where you can easily track the amount of calories you are consuming (scanning barcodes of foods, creating foods, etc.). I highly recommend looking at some of the great free apps available to help you track your calories/macros.

Also remember that the number you calculate is an estimation. So track yourself week to week to see if these calories are right for you, and adjust accordingly. Also you seem to be heavily focused on timing of your meals at the moment, and I would suggest to first conquer the basis of getting these calories/macros into your system for whatever time is convenient for you.

Best of luck OP! Glad to see that you're going to be following your cals! It really is the best way to achieve your goals!

+1 for myfitnesspal. When I get serious about losing weight on my weight rollercoaster this is a must have for me.

Originally Posted by Sozzeled View Post
    +1 for myfitnesspal. When I get serious about losing weight on my weight rollercoaster this is a must have for me.
    Correct
    5 meals is personal preference OP
    i would suggest as much WHOLE FOODS as possible and limiting whey
    3-4 meals would be fine too.

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I see, I didn't realize it made a difference. Thanks for the great tips everyone, this has been very helpful!
    It doesn't necessarily make a difference as protein is protein in the context of a high protein diet of varied sources, but it's not the most cost effective way to go about doing it, nor is it (opinion) the most satiating way to get your protein while cutting.

In reality, .8-1g per lb of LBM is sufficient for protein.

Thanks everyone for all the great input! I feel like I have a good roadmap to start out with, just need to get into the habit of counting calories and watching what I eat. To be honest, I'm realizing more that eating right and understanding what eating right actually looks like is just as, if not more important, than working out. I've been working out for 3 months and I havne't lost any weight and I've been doing Insanity and lifting weights, but at the same time, I never changed my diet and I eat like a monster......thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Heizz View Post

Thanks for the app recommendation, going to check it out. Also, you mentioned don't be so timed focus, so what would you say is the longest I should go without eating? Just wondering because I travel a lot so sometimes I got 6-8 hrs without eating much