IvanDrago82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IvanDrago82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IvanDrago82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Russian Powerlifting routine and percent training

I have been doing the westside barbell routine for a couple of months and my squat has went up but my bench and deadlift haven't budged. Also the westside routine is a little complicated and I don't have a lot of the equipment they have. I wanted to give the russian percent routine a try. Could someone give me some examples of this routine? Also have any of you guys had any results from this routine? I heard your suppose to be 5% stronger on each lift at the end of the cycle. any info would be appericated Thankyou

BIGMANL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGMANL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGMANL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGMANL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIGMANL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try lookin up Boris Sheiko on here, his programs are unbelievable, you do alot of volume but if you can last through it you will have some huge gains. also for try the smolov squat routine that is crazy also
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." -Ken Shamrock
    ...............96 aka the Snake

"SQUAT MORE" JESSE MARUNDE Sept 14, 1979-July 25, 2007

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Westside is NOT a routine, rather it is a methodology of training. So, if you are not seeing the gains you like in two lifts, then you have to tweak your training within the parameters of westside principles.

If the conjugate method worked for you squat, then there is no reason why it should not work for your bench and deadlift, so I would not be so quick to change systems. Post what you've been doing.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Heres one of smolov routines for the squat http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/fo...t-program.html

Cant comment on it through cause i ve never tried it. I dont know how the bench and deadlift are worked in there

Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IvanDrago82 View Post
    I have been doing the westside barbell routine for a couple of months and my squat has went up but my bench and deadlift haven't budged. Also the westside routine is a little complicated and I don't have a lot of the equipment they have. I wanted to give the russian percent routine a try. Could someone give me some examples of this routine? Also have any of you guys had any results from this routine? I heard your suppose to be 5% stronger on each lift at the end of the cycle. any info would be appericated Thankyou
    you prolly arent pinpointing your weeknesses right
    Last edited by Rawngus; 03-05-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spellage

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    westside is not for everyone...its NOT the only program out there

this is a sheiko "beginners" program http://web.archive.org/web/200505050...otraining1.htm

if that doesnt jump start your bench and dead, nothing will

its russian so the sets and reps r listed backwards

"scissors" are lunges

"deadlift from boxes" means basically rack deads from around the knee

"deadlift till knee" means a deadlift from the ground up to knee level only then back down

I tried westside for 4 months in 05 and my bench totally stalled....then I went on this sheiko program and my bench went from 275 paused to 315 paused

everyone was like "then you did westside wrong"....hey, whatever, lol...I read an dfollowed the articles best I could

The routine I used BEFORE westside worked fine, the Sheiko routine I used AFTER westside worked good....you do the math
    "Humility comes before honor"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The russian "percentage" program you are talking about probably isnt all that great etc...it is really made for olympic weightlifters.

it might be ok but its not as good as some of the other stuff out there

this is the workout you were referring to http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ews/nv003.html

I first saw it in a 1983 Muscle and Fitness, lol

James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James456 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    westside is not for everyone...its NOT the only program out there

this is a sheiko "beginners" program http://web.archive.org/web/200505050...otraining1.htm

if that doesnt jump start your bench and dead, nothing will

its russian so the sets and reps r listed backwards

"scissors" are lunges

"deadlift from boxes" means basically rack deads from around the knee

"deadlift till knee" means a deadlift from the ground up to knee level only then back down

I tried westside for 4 months in 05 and my bench totally stalled....then I went on this sheiko program and my bench went from 275 paused to 315 paused

everyone was like "then you did westside wrong"....hey, whatever, lol...I read an dfollowed the articles best I could

The routine I used BEFORE westside worked fine, the Sheiko routine I used AFTER westside worked good....you do the math
    How log did it take you from 275 to 315. Was it just that 5 week programme?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    JP- I'm not saying that Westside is the end all and be all training method. I happen to think it's a very good one though for the reason that it is so versitle and can be appled affectivley to any level of trainee, during any part of their season, etc.

I guess it preturbed me when people say "I tried Westside and it doesn't work" (or something to that tune) because Westside NEEDS to be so highly customized to the indiviual lifter in order to be affective.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    there are a few Russian % routines floating around, there's the Sheiko, there's the Smolov and Smolov Junior and the Squat routine (this can be applied to most power lifts), this is the squat routine in simpler format:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/russian.htm

I have yet to try the russian squat routine but the smolov and sheiko I have done, smolov added 60lbs to my parallel squat and 50lbs to my deadlift in 4 weeks, sheiko didn't do anything for me other than drill technique in my lifts, in my opinion the workload is too light to make good gains off of but then again it might work for someone else, look at what it did for John Prophet, look around the net, research, and experiment and find what works.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    there are a few Russian % routines floating around, there's the Sheiko, there's the Smolov and Smolov Junior and the Squat routine (this can be applied to most power lifts), this is the squat routine in simpler format:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/russian.htm

I have yet to try the russian squat routine but the smolov and sheiko I have done, smolov added 60lbs to my parallel squat and 50lbs to my deadlift in 4 weeks, sheiko didn't do anything for me other than drill technique in my lifts, in my opinion the workload is too light to make good gains off of but then again it might work for someone else, look at what it did for John Prophet, look around the net, research, and experiment and find what works.
    Does smolov have any routines for the bench and deadlift. Ive had a bit of a browse on the web but only found his squat routine. Also what does this routine do for Explosiveness and GPP?

Originally Posted by RipStone View Post
    JP- I'm not saying that Westside is the end all and be all training method. I happen to think it's a very good one though for the reason that it is so versitle and can be appled affectivley to any level of trainee, during any part of their season, etc.

I guess it preturbed me when people say "I tried Westside and it doesn't work" (or something to that tune) because Westside NEEDS to be so highly customized to the indiviual lifter in order to be affective.
    likewise it perturbs me when people make it the be-all end-all..its not, lol.

its sort of a great marketing thing...when people try westside and it doesnt work, the fallback excuse is always "you didnt do it right"....sort of reminds me of HIT in that respect

I guess I did sheiko right....40lb gain on paused bench in 6 weeks. Over the course of two sheikos added something like 50 to squat and 40 to deads

some guys simply arent made to be maxing EVERY week. And some guys need that old fashioned thing...whats it called? uhmm, I always forget....oh yeah...specificity.

If I used westside now, it would be as an off season thing for overall body strengthening an dhitting weak points etc....but if I were preparing for a powerlifting meet there is simply no way id AVOID the very lifts I was going to compete with

I think it would be interesting to have Louie and Boris Sheiko together at a conference....so Louie could tell all of Boris' IPF world champs etc that their training doesnt work, lol
    Last edited by John Prophet; 03-06-2007 at 06:15 PM.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by James456 View Post
    Does smolov have any routines for the bench and deadlift. Ive had a bit of a browse on the web but only found his squat routine. Also what does this routine do for Explosiveness and GPP?
    the only smolov routine that I know of is for the squat, you DO NOT deadlift during the smolov, when I did it I just did 5 x 5 for the military press and a rep target training scheme for pullups, but most powerlifters just do bench and upper body work and let sheiko take care of legs.

lol John Prophet I'd pay to see Simmons and Sheiko go at it, lol!

- Stizzel

there is a smolov "jr" that is supposed to be ok for bench I think....check this faq #6 http://wkak.net/SmolovFAQ.htm

I dont have anything against westside.....I do have something against some of the rhetoric used by the westside guru's. I guess they make a lot of $$$ claiming their way is the best...so I guess thats just business

Thanks John and Goju for that. Iam defintalely gonna do either sheiko or smolov routine after i finish my current routine at the moment( Ed Coans Progressive overload routine). One last question could you take smolov squat pertcentages and apply them to any other lift

Originally Posted by James456 View Post
    Thanks John and Goju for that. Iam defintalely gonna do either sheiko or smolov routine after i finish my current routine at the moment( Ed Coans Progressive overload routine). One last question could you take smolov squat pertcentages and apply them to any other lift
    I don't think so.

- Stizzel

The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well you should be able to do the smolov for the other exercise like the bench press seeing that the chest, triceps and shoulder muscles recover quiker than the legs and lower back.

you would think the smolov would be ok for bench since Sheiko uses more bench work than squat work, but for whatever reasons, I have heard that the smolov is not for bench

BUT, there is the "smolov jr" which is supposedly ok for chest and other lifts

possibly one difference would be that instead of increasing 10kilos you would increase only 10 lbs on bench each week.

check here #6 http://wkak.net/SmolovFAQ.htm