flyinion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

something to strengthen muscles/tendons around knees?

As I've started lifting the last 4 weeks I've been noticing my right knee getting more and more sore. I've had problems with it off and on over the years just from various "accidents" with it since my teens, so I think this is just old injuries/scar tissue coming back to bite me. I've been noticing soreness above and below the knee on the inside edge of the leg. Just on either side of the kneecap. I assume that's tendon.

I don't seem to have a problem with deadlifts or leg curls on a machine. However doing squats on a smith machine (only thing I have available right now, although the bottom is adjustable and I guess I need to figure out how to work that part as well) or leg extensions on a machine are the two big irritants. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to strengthen those areas of the knee to help this problem. It definitely seems muscle/tendon related and not internal like cartilage or something. The leg extension seems to be the biggest culprit. I'm almost wondering if I should dump those for a while and just do an extra set of deadlifts or squats?

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    moar squats drop the leg extension....even goblet squats for added volume after your regular squat work. Step ups are also a great exercise. Walking Lunges split squats....etc
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    moar squats drop the leg extension....even goblet squats for added volume after your regular squat work. Step ups are also a great exercise. Walking Lunges split squats....etc
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been following a program (not from this site) that basically does a whole body work out 3x a week alternating between two routines. For legs routine A is deadlift, squat, leg curl, leg extension, calf raises. Routine B is deadlift, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raises. 1 set each max weight that can be done 8-10 reps. I've been thinking about dropping it and trying out Stronglifts 5x5 though instead.

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)

Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For the longest, the only compound known to promote tendon/ligament health was cissus " cissus quadrangularis" . GNC used to sell it under the name "Super Cissus". I am a STRONG BELIEVER in this stuff. Does a lot of great things to blood chemistry as well. Most folk figure out within three days whether or not it is for them.
    The first and the best victory is to conquer self. To be conquered by self is, of all things, the most shameful and vile. — Plato

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    As I've started lifting the last 4 weeks I've been noticing my right knee getting more and more sore. I've had problems with it off and on over the years just from various "accidents" with it since my teens, so I think this is just old injuries/scar tissue coming back to bite me. I've been noticing soreness above and below the knee on the inside edge of the leg. Just on either side of the kneecap. I assume that's tendon.

I don't seem to have a problem with deadlifts or leg curls on a machine. However doing squats on a smith machine (only thing I have available right now, although the bottom is adjustable and I guess I need to figure out how to work that part as well) or leg extensions on a machine are the two big irritants. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to strengthen those areas of the knee to help this problem. It definitely seems muscle/tendon related and not internal like cartilage or something. The leg extension seems to be the biggest culprit. I'm almost wondering if I should dump those for a while and just do an extra set of deadlifts or squats?
    Before you do possibly more damage to your knee, you should get it checked out by an Orthopedist to see exactly what's going on with it, and determine a reasonable course of action. Guessing at the problem, and throwing random exercises at it, could have serious consequences.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

pearcem1210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree seeing a Doctor before pushing it further. I overwork my knee from running, so I have to brace it now and then to realign it. There are several knee stretches you can do to help in the healing and strengthening process.
    Free Ebook and Daily Fitness Tips
    www.lose10poundsin7daysstressfree.com

Thanks everyone. After two days off it seems like most/all the soreness is gone. I'm thinking I need to be better about making sure I stretch it properly before doing anything with it. Also I found some stretching exercises that I've been trying out since Friday that make me think all my years of doing nothing have caused things to get overly tight. Now that I'm exercising again, those tight muscles aren't happy. I think it could also be a gear issue. A few weeks ago I bought some of the minimal type running shoes since they're very flat and fairly thin. I mostly bought them for lifting in, but thought I could walk in them too until I realized I'm too heavy for the cushioning they offer right now.

I also found out after a visit to a running shoe store where they fit you properly etc. that I over pronate when I walk which would put stress on the exact area I've been having soreness. Of course I was also walking in those minimal running shoes since I didn't have anything else and those offer no support/control for over-pronation.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would agree with the bit about seeing the doc, but I do have some advice as well: do more hamstrings and drop the leg extensions for a little while.

One of the functions of the hamstrings is to stabilize the knee when using the quads. The mechanics of the leg extension machines make it difficult for the hamstrings to engage, introducing a level of instability to the knee. Some people have big issues with leg extensions and some none at all.

If leg extensions are bothering you, then rotate them out of your training for a while, strengthen your hams, see the doc and then rotate them back in after getting the doc's approval.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......