ipk5008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulk Diet carb/fat questions

I recently got into dieting and calorie counting about 4 months ago. I was 220, I bought a template off a company that specializes in cutting(they train olympic weight lifters who want to go down in weightclass and obviously keep strength) I was happy with the result towards the end I was at about 500 calorie deficit at 3100 calories 60-70g fat and 375-400g carbs.

I cut to a 205 with a reasonable body fat percentage, around 13%, i have abs so im happy. Now I want to put on size. I bought their bulking template and I was eating less carbs, only by about 25g, but it was so high in fat that I dont really know if I want to go that route. I'm kind of customizing the template to be around 25-30% fat around 110g fat or so.

I'm just hoping I dont over do it with the carbs. I don't want to bore you with all the details but I modified the template so its going to be around 400g carbs, 110g fat, and 250g protein. I wanted to see if somoene who was experienced with dieting could help me configure the proper amount of carbs and fat so I gain muscle and weight around .5 to 1 lb per week. Any critique is apperciated.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There really is no proper amount. Once you have protein and fat minimums, and adequate carbs for workout/recover you can manipulate your macros based on preference. The absolute caloric size of your surplus is the primary driver of how much weight and fat you will gain, not how its arranged in terms of macronutrients.

I'd also advise to shoot for ~2lb per month of weight gain to minimize fat gain. 1lb per week is way too fast.

Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    There really is no proper amount. Once you have protein and fat minimums, and adequate carbs for workout/recover you can manipulate your macros based on preference. The absolute caloric size of your surplus is the primary driver of how much weight and fat you will gain, not how its arranged in terms of macronutrients.

I'd also advise to shoot for ~2lb per month of weight gain to minimize fat gain. 1lb per week is way too fast.
    What would you say is the most amount of fat I should be eating.

droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) droostead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The real question is how are you 205 lbs @ 13% BF and don't have a really good understanding of this already?

There really isn't a max amount you should be eating, 110g/day definitely isn't too high. In fact your MINIMUM amount of fat is 92g/day. Find what works best for you while maintaining minimum protein/fat intake and eating carbs to fill the rest.

If your TDEE is 3600, up your cals to 3800-3900/day by adding whatever mixture of macronutrients you prefer.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ipk5008 View Post
    What would you say is the most amount of fat I should be eating.
    Again it's really going to come down to preference. 110g definitely isn't "too much".

Originally Posted by droostead View Post
    The real question is how are you 205 lbs @ 13% BF and don't have a really good understanding of this already?

There really isn't a max amount you should be eating, 110g/day definitely isn't too high. In fact your MINIMUM amount of fat is 92g/day. Find what works best for you while maintaining minimum protein/fat intake and eating carbs to fill the rest.

If your TDEE is 3600, up your cals to 3800-3900/day by adding whatever mixture of macronutrients you prefer.
    Not really. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post732938753

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post732961473

The fat min exists in the sticky just so people don't go crazy and eliminate fat. Most of the hormonal issues are going to be found in contest preppers and its likely more because of the prolonged deficit itself rather than the low fat. Eating low fat doesn't crush your test levels or anything, its effects on test are overstated.

Thanks this helped. I'm beginning to realize it's more overall calories than carb fat intake, I'll mess around with it to see the best results. Going to sound dumb but since weight fluctuates so slowly do you know how often I should be increasing in strength so I know it's working?

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ipk5008 View Post
    Thanks this helped. I'm beginning to realize it's more overall calories than carb fat intake, I'll mess around with it to see the best results. Going to sound dumb but since weight fluctuates so slowly do you know how often I should be increasing in strength so I know it's working?
    Patience, try to be somewhat consisted, be willing to make small adjustments, wait, test, repeat.

You can do it, it's just not a rigid thing.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl