Thread: A little random

inkdEmma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry A little random

Hey all.

I don't post all that much but I've popped by to ask a question.

I've just had my confidence knocked by a user on a different forum of a different fitness site. So I was wondering what sort of target I should be going for and if I'm doing reasonably well or not.

I'm a little over 5'4 and 56kg. I'm about 16.5% bf though take that with a lot of salt because the scales at my gym to measure it are iffy. Not that I guess it matters for my question.

At the moment I am comfortable benching 30kg and squatting/deadlifting 45kg, both at 4 sets of 10 when also superset with a paired exercise. Upwards is always my goal. But what's a good reputable target for me? It's easy to find men who have their stats and they can talk amongst themselves and gauge what sort of progress they've made or should be making, but it's a little more difficult for a female.

All the user said was that I'm far too weak and I clearly do not try. Based purely off my stats, I'd say that's a bit harsh, but it compelled me to wonder if I'm not going anywhere with my fitness.

Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by inkdEmma View Post
    Hey all.

I've just had my confidence knocked by a user on a different forum of a different fitness site. So I was wondering what sort of target I should be going for and if I'm doing reasonably well or not.

I'm a little over 5'4 and 56kg. I'm about 16.5% bf though take that with a lot of salt because the scales at my gym to measure it are iffy. Not that I guess it matters for my question.

At the moment I am comfortable benching 30kg and squatting/deadlifting 45kg, both at 4 sets of 10 when also superset with a paired exercise. Upwards is always my goal. But what's a good reputable target for me? It's easy to find men who have their stats and they can talk amongst themselves and gauge what sort of progress they've made or should be making, but it's a little more difficult for a female.

All the user said was that I'm far too weak and I clearly do not try. Based purely off my stats, I'd say that's a bit harsh, but it compelled me to wonder if I'm not going anywhere with my fitness.
    Wtf kinda fitness forum.... That's pretty ignorant of them. How much weight you use =/= how much you dedicate yourself to training.
    Also, people who train for strength will obviously be using heavier weights than those who mainly focus on body building.

Not sure what kind of scale can measure body fat just like that... But I wouldn't trust them because 16% BF is pretty low.

It really doesn't matter what random people on the internet say... If you FEEL good and SEE progress, you're doing fine.
    Bulking & Lifting :)

Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skyrek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by inkdEmma View Post
    Hey all.

tbqh no one can ever tell you that you're not trying -- they just don't know. The only person who knows whether or not you're trying is you, and maybe a coach who sees you weekly if you have one. And again, MAYBE. Because, after all, they're not psychic. And trying is a measure of your investment in your progress, nothing else. If you're trying, you're trying.

As for any sort of objective measure of your progress -- static stats aren't really any kind of way to measure progress. There is no chart for someone to look at and say, "Oh, so she's 5'X" and weighs XXlbs/kg, she should clearly be deadlifting 200 lbs and squatting 400 lbs! THIS ONE IS A WEAKLING, I SAY!" How much could you squat/deadlift when you first touched a barbell? Is there a difference from then till now? Yes? You're making progress in strength, even if it's only by 5kg. No? Your strength training isn't progressing, BUT -- if it hasn't, has strength training been your goal? Have you tried troubleshooting your lack of gains? A forum should be supportive in offering assistance, not telling you that the work you've put in has been meaningless and you're somehow unfit in your current state. I'm sorry you experienced that. Screw 'em.
    My workout and diet journal is here: http://bbcom.me/1Hx7Fwo

"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again; fail again, and fail better." -- Samuel Beckett
    "You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted lines. You may trod me in the very dirt, but still, like dust, I'll rise." -- Maya Angelou

Hey

Its those scales that sends waves through your body and gives you a print out reading of your height, weight, Bmi, water weight, bf, ffm, etc

Im chummy enough with the gym staff that I don't pay for it but I never trust anything that's commercially available like that (hospital ones obviously are more accurate) I'd like to think I'm more around 18%

My progress is slow but I never said it was. I just gave my stats! So obviously he is God and knows everything about my life lol.

But it has given me a slap to the face about kick starting my training with more get-go because the progress has slowed and I'm not going to let it stop completely, I'm too stubborn

Originally Posted by Skyrek View Post
    tbqh no one can ever tell you that you're not trying -- they just don't know. The only person who knows whether or not you're trying is you, and maybe a coach who sees you weekly if you have one. And again, MAYBE. Because, after all, they're not psychic. And trying is a measure of your investment in your progress, nothing else. If you're trying, you're trying.

As for any sort of objective measure of your progress -- static stats aren't really any kind of way to measure progress. There is no chart for someone to look at and say, "Oh, so she's 5'X" and weighs XXlbs/kg, she should clearly be deadlifting 200 lbs and squatting 400 lbs! THIS ONE IS A WEAKLING, I SAY!" How much could you squat/deadlift when you first touched a barbell? Is there a difference from then till now? Yes? You're making progress in strength, even if it's only by 5kg. No? Your strength training isn't progressing, BUT -- if it hasn't, has strength training been your goal? Have you tried troubleshooting your lack of gains? A forum should be supportive in offering assistance, not telling you that the work you've put in has been meaningless and you're somehow unfit in your current state. I'm sorry you experienced that. Screw 'em.
    Im sure my macros are fine. I utilise MFP and assure I hit my protein and carbs targets, occasionally it's under but it's fairly on point. A year ago I'd never have benched a thing (too shy) and I would only squat without weights. So now I'm lifting and I've just triumphed over the 'weight hump' from 27.5kg to 30kg benches and I'm finally able to bench it - my arms are my weakest bit.

Strength training will always play a part. I need good strength for my job. I'm just after more muscle and less fat, like most people are I guess

(:

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, you're almost definitely not 16.5% because that's ripped as fukk.

Why you so worried about what someone else says? The goal is to continue to make progress, forever.

That being said, a good goal would be to bench .9 x your body weight, squat 1.5 x your body weight, and deadlift 2 x your body weight. I also think being able to do a set of 10 chin ups in addition.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This will give you a basic idea of where you're at:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

If you want to get stronger in your lifts I suggest you run a strength building program to do just that.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)