comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Do shrugs build the neck or not?

I have googled this since 2012 and some people say yeah, some say no, some say just the back of your neck, some say just your traps.

I'm wondering do they thicken your neck or not? If a guy deadlifts and has a thick neck without direct neck work, why wouldn't shrugs work the neck, isn't the movement familiar?

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess it depends on what you mean by neck. If you mean the actual flexor and extensor muscles in the neck itself, then I would say no. If you mean the upper traps extending up into the back of the neck, then yeah.

The actual neck muscles are responsible for tucking and extending your chin, moving your head from side to side, and twisting it around. None of that happens very much with shrugs and deadlifts.

comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) comp85t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    So how do guys get huge necks when I see so many people on here saying they don't do direct neck work? Is it just the back of the neck making the neck look big? This is the confusing inconsistency I'm talking about :-(

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by comp85t View Post
    So how do guys get huge necks when I see so many people on here saying they don't do direct neck work? Is it just the back of the neck making the neck look big? This is the confusing inconsistency I'm talking about :-(
    genetics and deadlifts probably. your neck wont become huge suddenly if it was never big before.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Both DL and shrugs work the levator scapulae pretty hard. Obviously there are multiple neck muscles, but it does work the neck. There are neck "dip belt" style attachments you can buy, but in most cases they are a waste of money. The neck will build just fine off of all the other exercises you do for nearly all people's taste.
    Experience, not just theory

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do shrugs build the neck or not?
    yes, your neck muscles contract whenever your traps do in order to protect the vertebrae in your neck.

but feel free to give it extra direct work if you want even more development.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have googled this since 2012 and some people say yeah, some say no, some say just the back of your neck, some say just your traps.

I'm wondering do they thicken your neck or not? If a guy deadlifts and has a thick neck without direct neck work, why wouldn't shrugs work the neck, isn't the movement familiar?
    traps and neck muscles work jointly together, I dont see how you could isolate one from the other.

Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I find that upright rows work the traps an the little muscles around the scapula, filling in the area around the neck.
    I think heavy deadlifts, and even bent rows, when you are tensing the entire back would work the neck and traps as well.
    Giving unwanted advice to gym goers for years.

deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100) deergirl9 is not very well liked. (-100)

traps, but you can buy a head harness that you attach plates to and work your neck in all directions, also some old school gyms have a neck machine you can use. But the neck harness is cheap.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Tonic Neck Reflex

You neck is involved in the major compound movement via the Tonic Neck Reflex.

Most lifter preform it without knowing or thinking about it.

One of the prime examples of the Tonic Neck Reflex occurs in the bench press. (Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 5(4):188-191, November 1991.Berger, Richard A.; Smith, Kirby J.)

When most lifters bench, they drive their head into the bench as they push the bar up. Doing so elicits the Tonic Neck Reflex.

This reflex causes the arms to straighten, thus producing a stronger pushing movement when bench pressing.

In my observations, many heavyweight powerlifter lifters evoke an even more pronounced Tonic Neck Reflex of driving the head into the bench when bench pressing. These heavyweight lifters will lift their head up off the bench as the bar is lowered to the chest.

Just as the bar touches their chest, they simultaneously drive their head in to the bench. This appears to increase the Tonic Neck Reflex, producing more drive in pushing the weight up.

In a bilateral (two hand) pulling movement, the Tonic Neck Reflex is elicited when the lifter pulls their head forward, tucking their chin into their chest.

An example of this is cable rows or barbell curl. As you pull the weight into you, tucking you head into your chest causes your muscle to flex. Thus, you pull more weight.

In unilateral (one arm) movements, the Asymmetrical Tonic Reflex increase strength. This reflex is know as the "fencing reflex." The movement like that of a fencer with a sword.

Turning the head to the right side, extends the right arm while flexing the left arm, and vise versa.

So, when performing a dumbbell over head press with your right hand, turning your head to the right causes the reflex of your right arm straighten, increases you strength.

By the same token, when performing a dumbbell curl with your left arm, turning your head to the right cause a reflex of your left arm flexing (curling into you), thus increasing how much you curl.

Indirect Neck Work

Thus, Tonic Neck Reflex provide a lot of indirect neck work.

The Tonic Neck Reflex is involved when you pull back in a deadlift and upper body pulling movements (Lat Pulldown, Rows, etc).

Neck Packing Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj4JJwrDbk)

The Tonic Neck Reflex is involved when you drive you head into the bench when bench pressing or drive you head back into the bar in a squat, etc.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.