joeyfh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

(New)Pushing 1 rep maxes or?

Hey guys!

Fairly new to strength training. Been going strong for the past 4 months with 1 month off from being sick. I have also lost around 30 pounds. I have a couple of question. When I started I tested my 1 rep maxes, and they were at 175 bench, 265 squat, and 255 deadlift. Because of being sick and losing the weight my 1 rep maxes (tested last week) Are the same. Which overall I am okay with given the weight loss and time off. Going forward now I really want to push my maxes and build towards a respectable total. Currently doing Wendler. Should I be adding the 10lbs / 5lbs at the end of each cycle or should I be testing my 1 rep max regularly? Also for my first year goals what should I aim for in lift weight for each lift? Any general advice is welcome Thanks!

current weight 180 lbs and 5'9
    My training log

*****://ironharshaw.wordpress.com/

FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000) FitsWannabe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Add 10lbs to lower 5lbs to upper after every cycle. Testing 1 rep max is pretty useless and stupid. You might injured yourself easily when testing 1RM. Everyone's goal will be different. Set a realistic short term and long term goal.

Avoid testing 1RM frequently!

DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DaneMuscle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by joeyfh View Post
    Hey guys!

Fairly new to strength training. Been going strong for the past 4 months with 1 month off from being sick. I have also lost around 30 pounds. I have a couple of question. When I started I tested my 1 rep maxes, and they were at 175 bench, 265 squat, and 255 deadlift. Because of being sick and losing the weight my 1 rep maxes (tested last week) Are the same. Which overall I am okay with given the weight loss and time off. Going forward now I really want to push my maxes and build towards a respectable total. Currently doing Wendler. Should I be adding the 10lbs / 5lbs at the end of each cycle or should I be testing my 1 rep max regularly? Also for my first year goals what should I aim for in lift weight for each lift? Any general advice is welcome Thanks!

Agree with what Fits said. You have no business testing, just focus on building strength and musclemass for those big lifts at the comp/test day. If you don't plan on losing more weight and plan on training consistently, Definitely over 335/225/405 by the end of this year.
    Raw Powerlifting

200/150/260 = 610 kg @ 118 kg 19 y/o

440/330/570 = 1340 lbs @ 260 lbs. 19 y/o

2015 goals

225 (496)
    170 (374)
    280 (617)

TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TRexLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by joeyfh View Post
    Hey guys!

At those numbers, I think you're better off doing the Texas Method, specifically the 4 day one that I see floating around here.
    Out of commission, but will be back better than ever!