nbk41hm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Odd occurrence with weight

So I have been running a 10% calorie deficit to maintenance for a few months now using the guidelines written out by Emma-Leigh (who I owe a great debt of thanks). Combined with the Rippetoe Starting Strength lifting program I have lost 1-1.5 each week for the past three months by a weigh-in first thing each Saturday morning.

Now here it is Saturday morning and I stepped in the scale expecting to see something in the 191lb range, from 192.2 the prior week.

Instead, what I got was 195.6, which was quite a surprise.

I am really curious as to what might have caused this swing, which I have to think (and hope) is largely a variance in water weight. How on earth could one screw up their calorie math to gain three pounds in a week?

Couple of added variables:
    This week was a sales conference week. I still measured my calorie intake carefully and even snuck out to get my weight room time in.

However:
    1. I didn't sleep well because of the jet lag.
    2. We were out past 2am drinking one night. Normally I don't drink and was somewhat hung over yesterday (Friday).
    3. I added 5grams of creatine daily to my diet about two weeks ago. Understanding there is some added water penetration to the muscles using creatine, it still seems like quite a swing.

Based on these observations, does anyone have a comment on what might have prompted the weight swing?

Thank you!

LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LarsBoyd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Creatine can cause 10lbs of water weight, and weight fluctuates like crazy I go +-15lbs each day, take progress pictures and don't care about scale
    Bench-285
    Squat-365
    Deadlift-475

Chasing self-improvement. ShyGuyXS's Avatar
    ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LarsBoyd View Post
    Creatine can cause 10lbs of water weight, and weight fluctuates like crazy I go +-15lbs each day, take progress pictures and don't care about scale
    This. Wide fluctuations of 4-5+ pounds are common, and you just happened to catch one at this week's weigh-in, OP.
    It's about progress, not perfection.

I'm not an expert when it comes to most aspects of life; sometimes, I have no idea what I'm doing. The more I learn, the more I can do, and the more I can pay it forward and help others.

nbk41hm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you both!

ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ScottRoland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you nailed with the creatine and the binge drinking..... Depending on what you were drinking... there's a lot of calories in some drinks. A margarita has 150 worthless calories in it.
    Member of the Global Bodybuilding Organization

2015/2016 National Qualifier Mens Physique
    Contest Prep Coach -- Dr. J. Parker Posing Coach -- Jen Cook, NPC Judge/IFBB Pro
    Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155564773

Real science > Bro science