chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How often do you take breaks from weight lifting? 49 year old getting started

Hey guys I started working out again. I'm following the over 40 beginners guide on this site.

Question is how often do you take a break, and for how long?

Thanks!

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's an individual thing. Here... read this, opie.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121391461

snake1856 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chevjerico View Post
    Hey guys I started working out again. I'm following the over 40 beginners guide on this site.

Thanks!
    You will probably get a lot of different answers from many people more experienced than me but here's my take:

Listen to your body. I just got started back this February and went with a 12 week cycle, hitting the weights same body part 2-3 times a week with very intense, high volume sets and by week 9 I was pushing my tendons to their pain point.

I have read that if you are over 40 you should be taking a deload week around week 6 or week 8. This cycle, I went 8 weeks but upped the intensity with shorter rests between sets.

After this deload week coming up I'm going to probably stick to the 6 to 8 week cycles if I stick to the same high volume plan I'm on currently.

Hope this helps and Congrats on making the decision to start lifting again! Eat right, follow your plan and make sure you are getting good, quality rest and you will definitely see results.

chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chevjerico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Great read! Wish I had read that before. Previously I had gotten to the point where I had to keep on dropping exercise to the point I couldn't even do shoulders or incline anymore. The tendons in my right arm were sore.This time around I'm definitely doing my homework. So far everything seems okay.

Originally Posted by snake1856 View Post
    You will probably get a lot of different answers from many people more experienced than me but here's my take:

Listen to your body. I just got started back this February and went with a 12 week cycle, hitting the weights same body part 2-3 times a week with very intense, high volume sets and by week 9 I was pushing my tendons to their pain point.

I have read that if you are over 40 you should be taking a deload week around week 6 or week 8. This cycle, I went 8 weeks but upped the intensity with shorter rests between sets.

After this deload week coming up I'm going to probably stick to the 6 to 8 week cycles if I stick to the same high volume plan I'm on currently.

Hope this helps and Congrats on making the decision to start lifting again! Eat right, follow your plan and make sure you are getting good, quality rest and you will definitely see results.
    Thanks man, yea I'm focused. Diet is good and solid since January. Been doing cardio and just started lifting light weight third week in. Going to hit the weight harder starting today.

Wish I had listened to my body before. Sleeps been great beer intake is way down!

Great info from both you guys. I have the tools and info I was looking for. Good deal! Thank you!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I started last October, with no idea what I was doing. I took a break for a couple of weeks in February because I was getting some really annoying shoulder pain. It wasn't until then that I started doing any real research. Since then I've been skipping a scheduled day about every three weeks or so, and that's been keeping me more or less pain free. I've still got some residual pain from earlier, but it's gradually decreasing.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

snake1856 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks man, yea I'm focused. Diet is good and solid since January. Been doing cardio and just started lifting light weight third week in. Going to hit the weight harder starting today.

Wish I had listened to my body before. Sleeps been great beer intake is way down!

Great info from both you guys. I have the tools and info I was looking for. Good deal! Thank you!
    I hear you totally on the beer intake. Mine was ridiculous in hindsight. I still have some but not nearly as much. I find that it really helps with CNS recovery and the sleep is much better. I also take a 3mg Melatonin at night and it works like a charm to prevent insomnia and it's dirt cheap. I'm not a huge supplement guy but on my second cycle I incorporated free form BCAA's in my workout and feel that it helped tremendously with recovery. I use Xtend by Scivation and until i feel it is not working anymore, I'll keep it in my routine.

unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50) unilx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I take a week off every 8-12 weeks depending on how my body feels.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    I started last October, with no idea what I was doing. I took a break for a couple of weeks in February because I was getting some really annoying shoulder pain. It wasn't until then that I started doing any real research. Since then I've been skipping a scheduled day about every three weeks or so, and that's been keeping me more or less pain free. I've still got some residual pain from earlier, but it's gradually decreasing.
    Good info man. Sounds like a similar situation as I. Guess I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by snake1856 View Post
    I hear you totally on the beer intake. Mine was ridiculous in hindsight. I still have some but not nearly as much. I find that it really helps with CNS recovery and the sleep is much better. I also take a 3mg Melatonin at night and it works like a charm to prevent insomnia and it's dirt cheap. I'm not a huge supplement guy but on my second cycle I incorporated free form BCAA's in my workout and feel that it helped tremendously with recovery. I use Xtend by Scivation and until i feel it is not working anymore, I'll keep it in my routine.
    My recover is painful and slow! I feel great after taking two days off though. I have some ON creatine powder and some BCAA I was thinking about starting to help with recovery, but the six star protein powder already has 2.5 grams of creatine. At two scoops per day I'm getting 5 grams. The creatine page on this site says you can take up to 10 grams at my weight.

What do you guys think?

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do a deload week the last week of each month. I still workout but it's very light and I think of it as active recovery. Ligaments and tendons don't recover as fast as muscle. That week of light work draws blood to all those tissues without me tearing myself down farther. It also helps prevent getting really sore when I up the intensity as would happen if I took a week off then came back hard
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    I do a deload week the last week of each month. I still workout but it's very light and I think of it as active recovery. Ligaments and tendons don't recover as fast as muscle. That week of light work draws blood to all those tissues without me tearing myself down farther. It also helps prevent getting really sore when I up the intensity as would happen if I took a week off then came back hard
    I guess it makes sense to play it safe, so you can always come back and hit the weights productively. I'm starting to get a good feel for deload. First I heard of it was today. Much appreciated!

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great read, very informative. Thanks for sharing it.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #15 ||---||

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks!

I pretty much let life dictate my breaks.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    I pretty much let life dictate my breaks.
    Love your sig!

Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ermintrude38 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks!
    I used to be on a S&C program and every 4 weeks I'd drop one set and lower reps and weights for my deload week. 3 weeks ago I switched it up to a BB split and unless I start feeling the need to I don't intend on deloading at all. I'm working at slightly lower weights and higher reps to increase time under tension, but will probably do 6 weeks in this phase then 2-4 weeks in strength phase (3-5 reps) before smashing back on to 8-10 reps again...listen to your body. If you start feeling weaker you either need to change your diet or take a deload week.
    Wrong side of 40, leg full of titanium, lover of all things cake....iron willpower. Occasionally venture into the forums - so be nice. If you can't be nice then feck off - life is too short to deal with cockwombles

66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10) 66mark is on a distinguished road. (+10)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121391461
    t

Thanks for the link Bo, I am turning 49 also this summer and got back into lifting again a couple months ago. I usually end up having to stop because of injury, will try de-loading this time around.

Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Knock wood,I seem to be blessed. I do full body workout,three times a week,three hour each.[I work at the gym so I do it before my shift.]I don't know how much genetics come to play in that but I get in the zone and it's great theropy for me. As a bodybuilder the only time I've taken time off is one week when I was on vacation and it wasn't an option.

You say you're starting to workout and ALREADY you're asking when to take a break? !

What's that all about? You need commitment and to make the gym a habit,even if you have no passion for it.

No room in the gym for half-hearted !

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am doing HST now, so every 6 weeks I take a week off.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks!

Life gets in the way, that means a day off now and again...., every 6-8 weeks I might feel like I need to lighten up the wts or take a couple of days off....but now I am rolling. 3 months without missing a day.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As you get more advanced, more time is needed. I just took 3 months off due to a grueling work schedule and need to let joints recover.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Unless medically required, I don't take time off at all.

My microcycles typically run 4-8 weeks; I don't feel the need for deloads or time off.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimmyG1220 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you for that! Great information!

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    The longer the break, the less inclined you would be to get back to the gym.

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Every 12 weeks. I've noticed deloads really get more and more important with age.....
    Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by unilx View Post
    I take a week off every 8-12 weeks depending on how my body feels.
    Same
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just took 9 complete days off to goto Costa Rica. I'll deload once a month on 531. That's all.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------