Registered User bluegreenpurple's Avatar
    bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

My Muay Thai Training Log

I started Muay Thai classes in April and have been going about 5-6 times a week, one hour each class. I've been working on my kicking technique and my foot feels stiffer after today's workout and when I move it around, I can feel some popping like when you crack your knuckles and sometimes I can hear it too. It doesn't hurt too much, so should I take a rest day or go tomorrow?

sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sumolgi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A day off won't hurt and if you're injured, it will help... three days off, you'll notice.

bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bluegreenpurple is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    First time sparring today. Did two 3 minute rounds. I realized how hard it was compared to hitting pads because I could not predict my partner's next move. My instructor said I should go for at least three rounds next time. I need to work on:

-checking kicks
    -following through
    -keeping calm
    -having rhythm

AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmazingRacist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bluegreenpurple View Post
    First time sparring today. Did two 3 minute rounds. I realized how hard it was compared to hitting pads because I could not predict my partner's next move. My instructor said I should go for at least three rounds next time. I need to work on:

-checking kicks
    -following through
    -keeping calm
    -having rhythm
    get into the habit of counter attacks, once you can start seeing your opponents moves before they
    happen it all makes sense and your attacks will feel natural
    MMA and Nihilism

A Priest a Rabbi and a Physician all signed a legal document confirming that I have no soul.

CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Practice checks to immediate counters.... I love the front leg check to switch kick counter...

Also work on quick front leg teeps, they set up a lot of chit when done right -

~Misc BJJ crew~
    ~Electronic Engineer master race~

I am still weak but am getting better at more knee pushups with proper form. I need to work on:

-parrying
    -throwing more pushkicks
    -breathing!

breathing with sound still feels very unnatural

I need to figure out when to be aggressive/defensive when sparring since I'm a beginner.
    Last edited by bluegreenpurple; 07-04-2015 at 05:16 PM.

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Make sure you include lots of movement. Always circle around the opponent and use angles.

Getting better at:

-pivoting
    -not getting too tense during roundhouse kicks
    -breathing

Things to work on:

-checking kicks especially when sparring partners kick my inner left thigh with their left roundhouse kicks
    -punching with coordination and good form
    -countering
    -defense (stepping back, moving to the side, blocking the head)
    -sidestep to attack from different angles

Sparred with two people today. I went for a less aggressive approach to work on my defensive skills and felt very uncomfortable. In the beginning of the rounds, I got hit and tried various less than successful shots at my opponents. During this time, I tried to take mental notes of their defensive reactions and moves that they preferred. My first partner kept catching my kicks, but I did put my arms up to block my face. My second partner fired off some really good kicks at my side and liver and I worked on holding my arm out to keep her away when she got too close since I am taller. I need to remember to hold out my left arm instead of my right. Overall, it felt unnatural to spar this way, but I hope that working on my defensive moves and reflex times will pay off in the future when I am ready to fight in the ring against an aggressive fighter.

ChickenPhillet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, don't stop your training

my old man used to tell me that pain is weakness leaving the body

Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lightsout13 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Keep going at it. The best thing you can improve on is footwork. You do also need to adapt counter-attacking as aggressively as possible.
    Do some researching.
    http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/muay-th...echniques.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Coun.../dp/1583945431

Started working out again this week because of gym renovations. I actually sat down and watched a fighter in the gym spar and the way she set up her main attack just clicked in my head. When it was my turn to spar, I worked on countering in the middle of her set up to throw off her momentum. I think I did way better this time. I also noticed an improvement on my defense when it came to flinching and dropping my arms.

I will work more on:

-keeping eyes on opponent's chest level
    -not letting opponent out of sight the moment the clinch/takedown attempt is disengaged
    -pushkicks
    -posture when throwing multiple kicks so I don't fall forward

JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JamesLI is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    youre new, dont be so critical, go to class and work at it.
    Trying to get huge and get to my first meet one day
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166832691

Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vidarson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bluegreenpurple View Post
    Started working out again this week because of gym renovations. I actually sat down and watched a fighter in the gym spar and the way she set up her main attack just clicked in my head. When it was my turn to spar, I worked on countering in the middle of her set up to throw off her momentum. I think I did way better this time. I also noticed an improvement on my defense when it came to flinching and dropping my arms.

I will work more on:

-keeping eyes on opponent's chest level
    -not letting opponent out of sight the moment the clinch/takedown attempt is disengaged
    -pushkicks
    -posture when throwing multiple kicks so I don't fall forward
    brah you're 5 months into training. dont be too critical on yourself or expect to get on experienced status quickly.
    been training for 10 years, even lived at a camp in Thailand for 6 months a few years back. I still go into every training session expecting to learn something.
    things will click for you basically one at a time, "Oh ****, this footwork thing actually works" couple thousand hours later "Oh ****, that teep > right kick > left check > switch kick just came without thinking and I wrecked dudes liver"
    muay thai is like anything else worth doing, it takes a long time to get naturally good at it.

I've been training lately. Worked on pads today. I've been asking my training partners to tap me with the pads during drills so I can work on my defense as well. I just have to carry that over to sparring. I haven't been "feeling it" lately when it comes to sparring. I spar every class, but I feel like my aggression level is at an all time low.
    Last edited by bluegreenpurple; 09-30-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Almost 1 year. First time taking a video of myself. Still a lot to work on. Pushkicks are awful. Advice (especially regarding distance, rhythm, and how to work the bag) is appreciated.
    Last edited by bluegreenpurple; 03-31-2016 at 11:23 PM.