Thread: 40 Yard Dash

npetrov81 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) npetrov81 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation 40 Yard Dash

I am trying to improve my 40 time and was just wondering if anyone here knows any workouts that can help?
    Also if anyone here is a football player and can help me with workouts and conditioning please private message me.
    DAILY WORKOUTS LOG forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167782451

Body Fat: 14%
    Weight: 195LB
    Bench: 225LB
    Squat: 330LB
    Power Clean: 205LB
    Deadlift: ~350LB

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Why are you doing reps of 15-20 when you're focusing on improving your 40 time? Does your team have workouts during the summer? I would definitely attend those since the workouts you're doing are going to do very little to help your 40 time.

npetrov81 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) npetrov81 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by PhillipQ25 View Post
    Why are you doing reps of 15-20 when you're focusing on improving your 40 time? Does your team have workouts during the summer? I would definitely attend those since the workouts you're doing are going to do very little to help your 40 time.
    Bro you do understand my workouts are not revolving around 40 yard dash time?
    DAILY WORKOUTS LOG forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167782451

Body Fat: 14%
    Weight: 195LB
    Bench: 225LB
    Squat: 330LB
    Power Clean: 205LB
    Deadlift: ~350LB

dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To put it simply, you need to increase your lower body relative power. Powerful quads will help you in the start of the 40 yd dash.. For now, all you need to do is simply practice the 40 yd dash, while getting relatively stronger/more powerful in your lower body
    My Vertical Jumping Progress - https://youtu.be/JhW-mJOp0Ro

My Training Journal - http://www.dkathleticperformance.com/training-journal

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work on your sprinting form, starts, etc (A-skips, falling starts, resisted starts, lying down starts, etc). In the weight room you can start on one leg lifts (Bulgarian split squat, one leg RDL's, step ups, etc) and since you're playing football add directional work. For example, side lunges, forward/backward 45degree lunges. Prowler pushes and pulls are also good to add to your routine. Backward and sideways pulls are good at improving non-straight line speed.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Start form is the biggest factor for non-advanced people. I think Joe Defranco and Chris Barnard (Youtube) have some videos on that. Obviously you should still work on your form as well so you run correctly/efficiently during games. But to get the fastest decrease in your 40 time, work on your start.

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post
    Start form is the biggest factor for non-advanced people. I think Joe Defranco and Chris Barnard (Youtube) have some videos on that. Obviously you should still work on your form as well so you run correctly/efficiently during games. But to get the fastest decrease in your 40 time, work on your start.
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? Non-advanced people have so many basics to work on (Maximal strength, rate of force development, explosiveness, etc..) that even if their start was bad improving other things will increase their 40. Where NFL players have almost plateau'd in their lifts, have perfected their abilities in their weight room, and the smallest difference such as getting their start down to shave off .02 seconds will be their focus.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are a lot of things that come into play when working on the start. It's really the initial push off and the first 10 yards. Concentrating on start work usually has the biggest dividend in lowering your 40 time. Besides, the OP plays hockey and football. The 40 is a key measurement at all high school camps, and if you can shave 2-4 tens off the 40 time you have improved your standing a great deal - doesn't matter what position you play. Just learning how to pump your arms correctly will help not only the 40 time but pursuit during a game. LiftNPlay has it right

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? Non-advanced people have so many basics to work on (Maximal strength, rate of force development, explosiveness, etc..) that even if their start was bad improving other things will increase their 40. Where NFL players have almost plateau'd in their lifts, have perfected their abilities in their weight room, and the smallest difference such as getting their start down to shave off .02 seconds will be their focus.
    Tweaking the start for a top level athlete might shave off .02 seconds, while learning how to start for a beginner will shave off at least .2 seconds (or more, depending on how bad the start was). A bad start will give you terrible acceleration. Yes, developing running form is still very important (like I said above), but I am talking about improving your 40 in a short period of time. Developing running form and being a more efficient sprinter takes a lot of time (developing mechanics, getting stronger, physical maturation for young athletes, etc.)
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post
    Tweaking the start for a top level athlete might shave off .02 seconds, while learning how to start for a beginner will shave off at least .2 seconds (or more, depending on how bad the start was). A bad start will give you terrible acceleration. Yes, developing running form is still very important (like I said above), but I am talking about improving your 40 in a short period of time. Developing running form and being a more efficient sprinter takes a lot of time (developing mechanics, getting stronger, physical maturation for young athletes, etc.)
    I see what you're saying, but this guy is a 15 year old freshman or sophomore. He's not in a rush to preform at a combine any time soon so he should focus on long term improvements.

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lower body strength is a large component. Another is turnover so working out the hip flexors is very important. Look at my old training log in my sig.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

I see what you're saying, but this guy is a 15 year old freshman or sophomore. He's not in a rush to preform at a combine any time soon so he should focus on long term improvements.
    We started tracking the 40, pro agility shuttle, and long jump in 8th grade. By the time you're a sophomore you better be concerned about sprint form and starts as well as lifting heavy in the weight room all year.