rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Looking for a good standing calf raise machine

Hey guys,

I've been searching Craigslist for ages and can't find a decent standing calf raise. I live in Florence, SC.

I'm at the point I'm willing to just buy one. Looked at a plate loaded one from Elite for $799...but...that price!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper one thats pretty good? It can be plate loaded.

I have a cybex seated calf. And I know I can do barbell calf raises, db calf raises...just really wanting to grow my calves and thinking I need more equipment.

My calf work currently includes:
    10 - 12 sets of seated calf raises six days a week (with 120 pounds loaded) superset with 30 body weight calf raises (10 toes out, 10 toes in, 10 straight forward). So, typically I'm raising my calves with weight and body weight upwards of 400 reps six days a week.

I don't often do barbell calf raises, but when I do, it's usually 245 pounds 3 sets x 20 reps.

Help

Ryan

rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also... I did find a rand called "Streamline" (never heard of them). Their selling a used standing calf machine for $200. They said it will hold 8 - 10 45 pound plates...not sure if that's enough weight to stimulate my calves.

forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10) forkspoon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just stand in a cage...throw an oly bar on your back with some weights and do calf raises. Stand on one of those stepper things that chicks use to exercise. You'll get a helluva workout.

What benefit do you think you'll get out of a machine rather than barbell calf raises?

Im worried about losing my balance in a squat rack. I don't have a calf block, so when I do barbell calf raises, my range of motion is limited. I'm just doing them flat footed.

So, I know I could get a calf block to give me range of motion, but then there's the losing balance issue. I could always adjust my safeties to a height that would eliminate worry of losing balance.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is pretty weird. I just use a a 2x4 about 20" long to stand on when I'm in my power rack. I just put my safeties just below my J-hooks just below shoulder height. I do maybe 3 sets of 15 reps twice a week. I'm not sure what all the volume is about.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Okay I think I'm going to save my money and go buy a 2x4

Yeah I'm probably overdoing calf raises. Just trying to shock them in to growth.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, you have good calves or you don't. It's mostly genetics I hear. Even Arnold had calf implants according to lore.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Yeah, I definitely don't have good genetics for calves. Maybe the implants are the way to go :-)

Any advice on pec decs? I can't seem to feel DB flyes in my chest...feel it in my shoulders and arms.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rvfraley View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been searching Craigslist for ages and can't find a decent standing calf raise. I live in Florence, SC.

I'm at the point I'm willing to just buy one. Looked at a plate loaded one from Elite for $799...but...that price!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper one thats pretty good? It can be plate loaded.

I have a cybex seated calf. And I know I can do barbell calf raises, db calf raises...just really wanting to grow my calves and thinking I need more equipment.

My calf work currently includes:
    10 - 12 sets of seated calf raises six days a week (with 120 pounds loaded) superset with 30 body weight calf raises (10 toes out, 10 toes in, 10 straight forward). So, typically I'm raising my calves with weight and body weight upwards of 400 reps six days a week.

I don't often do barbell calf raises, but when I do, it's usually 245 pounds 3 sets x 20 reps.

Help

Ryan
    Such machines are rare, even in commercial gyms, since most trainees will work their calves in the straight-knee position by doing Calf Raises on a 45 degree Leg Press.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000) SmokinJoe87 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pick up a safety squat bar and a 4x4. The EliteFTS SS Yoke is on sale right now too - $300 shipped. Good bar to have in your arsenal anyway.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #72 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #87 ()---()

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ This is what I do. I made a calf block by screwing 2x4 "feet" to a 4x4.

The SSB allows you to go hands-free, so you can grab the uprights to keep your balance.

Getting a SSB saves you money AND space, and is multi-functional. Home run if you ask me.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

I've got a black widow safety bar. Didn't think about that! Sure makes the balance issue less of a problem.

Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000) Xone is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I keep meaning to use my SSB for calf raises... It's big and a pain to set up though and on the day I do SSB squats anyway the last thing I want to do is calf raises after.

I definitely see the appeal of a dedicated standing calf machine that is just ready to go whenever without having to mess with the rack and set up blocks.

You could always get a linear leg press. Calf raises on a leg press with straight legs accomplish the same thing as standing calf raises, and then you also have a leg press.
    Last edited by Xone; 06-07-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    435/259/551 S/B/D @ 197

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    ^^ This is what I do. I made a calf block by screwing 2x4 "feet" to a 4x4.

The SSB allows you to go hands-free, so you can grab the uprights to keep your balance.

Getting a SSB saves you money AND space, and is multi-functional. Home run if you ask me.
    +1

I've done the exact same thing.
    It also gives you a solid upper back workout as well.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    +1

I've done the exact same thing.
    It also gives you a solid upper back workout as well.
    Looks like I just found another reason to get a SSB; I've gotten used to doing them with a regular bar and a 2x4 in my cage but I could see why the SSB is better.

One thing I would add to the discussion are seated calf raises to hit the soleus part of the calf: I have been doing these seated in my cage using a bar on my quads and setting the safeties just below knee height. I found that using one of those bar pads (no, I don't squat with it) helps me roll/squeese the bar up onto my quads. A seated calf raise machine would be great but that's probably even rarer than a standing one.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #15 ||---||

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Robfitx View Post
    Looks like I just found another reason to get a SSB; I've gotten used to doing them with a regular bar and a 2x4 in my cage but I could see why the SSB is better.

One thing I would add to the discussion are seated calf raises to hit the soleus part of the calf: I have been doing these seated in my cage using a bar on my quads and setting the safeties just below knee height. I found that using one of those bar pads (no, I don't squat with it) helps me roll/squeese the bar up onto my quads. A seated calf raise machine would be great but that's probably even rarer than a standing one.
    I used to do seated calf raises with a Smith Machine. I find that it is a lot easier to do the movement effectively with a seated calf raise machine. You really have to load up the bar/Smith to get to a weight that is effective, and then moving it in/out of place becomes an issue. With a seated calf, there is leverage involved, so 100 lbs on the weight horn is close to 250-300 lbs in terms of work required to move it.

My math is probably off, and if it works for you, then great--it's just my 2 cents.

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I used to do seated calf raises with a Smith Machine. I find that it is a lot easier to do the movement effectively with a seated calf raise machine. You really have to load up the bar/Smith to get to a weight that is effective, and then moving it in/out of place becomes an issue. With a seated calf, there is leverage involved, so 100 lbs on the weight horn is close to 250-300 lbs in terms of work required to move it.

My math is probably off, and if it works for you, then great--it's just my 2 cents.

Yes, getting the bar in place is a pain but it does work for me and the pad helps with getting it in place. I actually did them this morning. Attached is a picture of that set-up (I can't embed yet).
    Attached Images
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #15 ||---||

Originally Posted by Robfitx View Post
    Yes, getting the bar in place is a pain but it does work for me and the pad helps with getting it in place. I actually did them this morning. Attached is a picture of that set-up (I can't embed yet).
    I would love to play with that setup again.....I have a really nice seated calf machine that I got a great deal on, but it takes up space in the garage, especially for a piece that only does one thing.

snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I made a calf block out of a 2x4, took about 10 minutes to cut and assemble.

I do barbell calf raises in the rack- I added a couple bolts on the top holes of my rack, and load up as if squatting, and just grab the bolts to balance myself while I do calf raises.

You could just pick up a safety squat bar to do them in the rack if you're not comfortable balancing the barbell. It'll cost close to what you can get a used standing calf machine for, but will be multipurpose and not limit you to essentially one movement like the calf machine will.

I used my SSB today with a 2x4 and it was a great calf movement. Thanks for the advice guys.

Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Home made.
    Attached Images

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do my standing calf raises on a calf block (BarbellsUSA on eBay: $35, great block) and with a dip belt on a low pulley. Works amazingly well and I can put much more weight and do many more reps than my hands, or even my shoulders (in squat position), could ever do.

I dig dip belts--oh, and cable machines. Both are so versatile.

Like this fellow (but I have my calf block much closer to the cable, so essentially pulling nearly straight upward).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaaoMl7UcM
    Thanks for your support and advice. --Sven

Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malve1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just convinced me. Going to pick up a dip belt too. Incidentally, I built this calf platform with two 4 X 6's and some diamond plate for $11.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Been using my bench's feet for calf raises, it works pretty well and is real stable too. If I need hands free for balancing, I stick plates in a backpack. Although I did have an idea to try using a head harness as a counterbalance for my body's tendency to fall backwards. In the beginning I would do them against a wall for support, which also worked great.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by Coolkayaker1 View Post
    I do my standing calf raises on a calf block (BarbellsUSA on eBay: $35, great block) and with a dip belt on a low pulley. Works amazingly well and I can put much more weight and do many more reps than my hands, or even my shoulders (in squat position), could ever do.

I dig dip belts--oh, and cable machines. Both are so versatile.

Like this fellow (but I have my calf block much closer to the cable, so essentially pulling nearly straight upward).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaaoMl7UcM
    Nice! I actually just ordered that same calf block on Amazon yesterday.

My dip belt has been collecting dust...think I'm going to give this a try.

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    rvfraley, it's a really great calf block, the one I own and you ordered yesterday. I'm not too handy for building, so buying one for a few bucks that will last my entire life is a good investment. The only thing I wish is that it weighed more. It's perhaps good enough, and easy to move in the gym, but sometimes it sort of kicks out a bit if I'm tired and sloppy with my technique. The end caps pop off easily, and it is hollow, so I've toyed with the idea of filling it with cement, or with pea gravel. Let's see what you think when you get it. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Malve1 View Post
    Just convinced me. Going to pick up a dip belt too. Incidentally, I built this calf platform with two 4 X 6's and some diamond plate for $11.
    Malve1, the calf block that you built is great; good work. (Isn't it slippery, esp when sweat drips on it?). It looks professional.

I also do dip belt squats on the low cable machine and, oddly, I cannot find a youtube video of anyone doing it like I do exactly (maybe I'll film a few second of me doing it sometime). Here is something close without the belt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru1AYPIJjWw
    Imagine her doing it standing on a calf block placed close to the bottom of the weight machine/stack, and using a dip belt. The pull has to be as upright as possible, and I have to spread my feet to almost hug the weight stack (there's where I sort of wish the calf block was wider).

A dip belt is awesome, indispensible. I own this one and love it; the only negatives in the review are for the sharp inner studs (see reviews, photos) which is true, but easily remedied with a couple hammer hits, which pretty much cures the ill, but then, just to be sure, I put a drop of builders' silicone on each (overkill). Anyhow, nothing beats leather and chains (especially when I read the reviews on BB.com about the expensive belts, Spud and Ironmind, having nylon straps wearing out for some people). Fun!
    http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Heavy...words=dip+belt

Just noticed this post and question from months ago so, although probably moot by now, I'm answering. The platform I built is not slippery at all. The diamond tread provides some traction. I'm sure it could be built with either a rubber or other non stick coating easily.