Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Barbell question + home gym equipment in Canada

Looking to start putting together a home gym and am having trouble finding much in Canada. Anyone know of some good sites/stores to look at? So far I have seen Rogue Canada, Fitness Depot, Spartan Fitness. Unsure about the quality of the latter two...

Also been looking at some barbells and have come down to choosing between:

1 - Texas Power Bar ($466 including tax and shipping CAD) - http://store.adrenalinetraining.ca/i...product_id=128

2 - Rogue Ohio Power Bar ($378 inc shipping CAD)- http://www.roguecanada.ca/rogue-ohio-power-bar - most likely getting this one, in black zinc

Power rack I was looking at:

1 - Mech6 Rack
    2 - Fitness Depot Crossbox (http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Product....3#.VXBz46bvMmb)
    3 - XTC Fitness (http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/po...-xtc-gear.html)

Will just be doing basic movements like squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, rows, etc (no olympic lifts). Wanted to get a good bar for this and not cheap out on this piece of equipment. These two seem to be the most recommended, but are pretty expensive in Canada... it looks like TPB is only 255 on their site and similar price for the OPB in the US ...

Thanks!
    Last edited by TipsyBanker; 06-04-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: updated

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The Texas Power bar is a fine bar but not sure I would spend that kind of money on it. Better having it shipped to the border and dealing with all that - especially as Republic of Sport has had issues with items believed to be in stock.

The Rogue bar I do like and have been debating that some myself though I would be going for the raw over the zinc.

As for the rack I would stay away from Amstaff - without a doubt. I know its been said a number of times but I would contact Mech6 and see what he could do. Otherwise, I would be all over kijiji to see. Its part of the cornerstone of your home gym. Don't slouch on it.
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    The Texas Power bar is a fine bar but not sure I would spend that kind of money on it. Better having it shipped to the border and dealing with all that - especially as Republic of Sport has had issues with items believed to be in stock.

The Rogue bar I do like and have been debating that some myself though I would be going for the raw over the zinc.

As for the rack I would stay away from Amstaff - without a doubt. I know its been said a number of times but I would contact Mech6 and see what he could do. Otherwise, I would be all over kijiji to see. Its part of the cornerstone of your home gym. Don't slouch on it.
    Thanks a lot for the input!

yeah almost 500 for a bar is pricy, even though the ohio one comes to almost 400

will keep looking for racks and contact Mech6

on spread for reps

ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been eyeing the bare steel Ohio Power Bar as well. The reviews look good and it is cheaper then the TPB.

If I were to do it all over again, I would for sure look into a Mech6 rack and if I didn't go that route, I would look at a Crossbox rack from Fitness Depot, people say they are a rogue rack knockoff and built pretty good. Just don't expect knowledgeable staff from Fitness Depot and go in there knowing what you want.

All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just bought a bunch of stuff from FitnessDepot in Barrie brah.

Amstaff power rack (upgraded from this rack but it doesn't seem to be available anymore) the differences weren't really noticiely but I likes the colours & dip bars that were included:
    http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/TP006D-P...x#.VW9dac9VhBc

and 300 lb barbell set. (Paid 20 bucks to upgrade the barbell with metal bushing instead of plastics):
    http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/300-LBS-...x#.VW9duM9VhBc

been using for a few months now and it's awesome

Originally Posted by ASOUL View Post
    I have been eyeing the bare steel Ohio Power Bar as well. The reviews look good and it is cheaper then the TPB.

If I were to do it all over again, I would for sure look into a Mech6 rack and if I didn't go that route, I would look at a Crossbox rack from Fitness Depot, people say they are a rogue rack knockoff and built pretty good. Just don't expect knowledgeable staff from Fitness Depot and go in there knowing what you want.
    I think I am going to pick up the OPB ... I do like the idea of bare steel but wanted one with less maintenance and do like the black coat

I contacted mech6 and he is seeing what he can do. I do like the crossbox racks you suggested, seems like good price if the quality is good... http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/Product....3#.VW98z6bvMmb

Originally Posted by All-Star11 View Post
    Just bought a bunch of stuff from FitnessDepot in Barrie brah.

Amstaff power rack (upgraded from this rack but it doesn't seem to be available anymore) the differences weren't really noticiely but I likes the colours & dip bars that were included:
    http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/TP006D-P...x#.VW9dac9VhBc

and 300 lb barbell set. (Paid 20 bucks to upgrade the barbell with metal bushing instead of plastics):
    http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/300-LBS-...x#.VW9duM9VhBc

been using for a few months now and it's awesome

thanks, I was originally looking at the amtaff rack as well, but apparently the quality isnt good? Seems like your experience has been more positive though.

I do need a weights set, but I think im going with the OPB so I wont need the bar that comes in the set...

Spoke to the guy from republic of sport, says he has 3 TPB's and they are $450 if I pick it up or $478 delivered... still think ill go for the OPB though and save some money

All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TipsyBanker View Post
    thanks, I was originally looking at the amtaff rack as well, but apparently the quality isnt good? Seems like your experience has been more positive though.

I do need a weights set, but I think im going with the OPB so I wont need the bar that comes in the set...
    There are a FEW minor things with the rack that could be better. But for a BUDGET, home gym rack that allows you to lift all the weight you can and do it safely with the safety bars and hooks, it's a pretty damn good rack.
    my complaints (but I've gotten over it as I treat it like a tool just for the gainz)

-Paint quality
    -sliding the safety rods in and out can be a pain (the drilled holes are rough so the bar grinds as you slide it in)
    -no hole numbers on the 4 posts (ended up running painters tape and numbering them myself until I find some cheap stickers to post on there)

This rack doesn't have welds (except the hooks). It's all bolted together as you can see in my picture. I've never for a second thought any part of it is weak or would break on me.
    I'd actually recommend it to anyone on a budget

Cheers

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    There's also XTC fitness in Oakville. They make good quality Rogue knockoff racks. But see what Mech can do for you first.

Don't listen to that guy above that bought amstaff and basic fitness depot stuff. It's trash.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #79 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #2 ||---||
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #4 ▪[M]====[6]▪

Mech6 said he can do something for me in about 16 weeks, as he is very busy. The pricing we discussed seems very reasonable so I think I am going to go with him.

Now, what I am thinking for a rack would be:

2x2, standard chinup bar at front, 1 set j hooks, 1 set safeties, storage area, band pin holes and pins, and westside hole spacing

unsure about welded vs bolt together sides, but im sure mech will help me with that.

any suggestions? I dont need anything fancy just a good all round rack.

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go bolted as he uses back plates that really hold it all together tight and strong and keep it quite portable.

another set of j hooks really can come in handy. I would heavily consider. 2x2 is easily strong enough for everything you need and probably will last forever. I would possibly also reconsider westside spacing. I have 1.5" and its been perfect.

Finally, flip down safeties are nice. Depending on your inside spacing, pin and pipe can really be a pain.

Sig line is not a novel.

ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, get another set of j hooks, having two sets is so handy.

Go bolted as he uses back plates that really hold it all together tight and strong and keep it quite portable.

another set of j hooks really can come in handy. I would heavily consider. 2x2 is easily strong enough for everything you need and probably will last forever. I would possibly also reconsider westside spacing. I have 1.5" and its been perfect.

Finally, flip down safeties are nice. Depending on your inside spacing, pin and pipe can really be a pain.
    Bolted wasnt much more so I think that seems like a good idea if i need to take it apart and move it. I will ask about a 2nd set of j-hooks. The only part I like about the westside spacing is the 1 inch through the bench area... other than that any spacing is more than fine for me. The gym I go to right now (LA Fitness) has like 3-4 inch spacing at the squat racks ...

As for the safeties, are flip downs the ones that you put in from the sides and are square bars?

Edit: still on spread ... will rep as soon as I can haha

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You won't be sorry that you went with a rack from Mech6--he does great work.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Originally Posted by TipsyBanker View Post

As for the safeties, are flip downs the ones that you put in from the sides and are square bars?

Yeah

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah. Mech made me these safeties for my R3.

I would get welded sides if you can and 30 inches interior space. You can save money not going Westside spacing and you probably won't notice the difference.

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post

I would get welded sides if you can and 30 inches interior space. You can save money not going Westside spacing and you probably won't notice the difference.
    Any reason you would go welded? You seem to have bolt together currently.

Sig line is not a novel.

No real reason. Only reason I got bolted is because I couldn't get welded with the 30 inches of interior space. Mech didn't exist as an option when I purchased from Rogue back in 2012. Bolted is clearly strong enough but welded is always better ;-)

Funny I thought the same. then I received my Mech rack (bolt together) with the back plates and now don't think I would go with welded.

Sig line is not a novel.

Yeah. Mech made me these safeties for my R3.

thanks, and nice looking rack.

no price difference for westside spacing, and seems like for 2x2 its 43'' inside and 30'' depth

Where did you get those weight plates? they look nice ... I am trying to find some reasonably priced ones

Thoughts on York bumper plates?
    http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/bu...k-barbell.html

seems to be good quality and economical

just wondering but would it be a good idea to just do 45's as bumpers and then get the other plates metal? save some space on the bar and money...

vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vsral is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    'ivanko rubber EZ plates' and 'reasonably priced' don't go well together (unless a very lucky find)

Originally Posted by vsral View Post
    'ivanko rubber EZ plates' and 'reasonably priced' don't go well together (unless a very lucky find)
    They're York, 400lbs of bumper plates for $600...best ive found outside of fitness depot brands

Edit: oh youre talking about the ones in the pic, my bad... $350 for a pair of 45's god dam lol

treadmill factory bumper plates 1.50/lb

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/stren...age=1&top=526&

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No real reason. Only reason I got bolted is because I couldn't get welded with the 30 inches of interior space. Mech didn't exist as an option when I purchased from Rogue back in 2012. Bolted is clearly strong enough but welded is always better ;-)
    Not saying I'm special, but with backing plates on both sides of all connections, the only advantages to the welded rack are lower price and the fact you can get the top brace all the way to the top of the upright. Although I've done that with bolt-together also, so really, price is the determining factor. So many advantages with bolt-together.

Again, no regrets on the bolt together and I pound it hard. Tough as nails.

OP, avoid the York bumpers and also the treadmill ones. They're not the best quality and the Yorks have been documented to have the inserts fails regularly. I think the cheapest I would go re: bumpers would be Pendlay econs or equivilent from other manufacturers. Do you really need bumpers? Buy a nice set of York Legacy plates! XTC seems to have decent prices on plates for this area.

My plates are Ivanko. They are very expensive. Over $2000 for my setup.

If you have to go bumpers and on a budget: http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/bu...a-pendlay.html

Get these instead! http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/we...k-barbell.html

Again, no regrets on the bolt together and I pound it hard. Tough as nails.

OP, avoid the York bumpers and also the treadmill ones. They're not the best quality and the Yorks have been documented to have the inserts fails regularly. I think the cheapest I would go re: bumpers would be Pendlay econs or equivilent from other manufacturers. Do you really need bumpers? Buy a nice set of York Legacy plates! XTC seems to have decent prices on plates for this area.

My plates are Ivanko. They are very expensive. Over $2000 for my setup.

If you have to go bumpers and on a budget: http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/bu...a-pendlay.html

Get these instead! http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/we...k-barbell.html
    Honestly, no real need for bumpers ... I just thought that might work out better being in the basement. I could put down some rubber flooring and just use metal plates?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dotmar Fitness, in Mississauga, is a good place to look as well. They sell some pretty good quality stuff. I've had several good experiences with them.

The biggest difference between the TPB and the OPB is 28.5mm vs 29mm. That 0.5mm can be a tremendous difference depending on your hand size.

Mech6 seems to have an impeccable reputation around here. Don't think you can go wrong with him.

I've got a 3x3 7ga bolted rack. It's as strong and sturdy as any welded rack I've ever used of the same design.

I own some of the Treadmill Factory "economy" bumpers and they are fine for what you described. While I've upgraded to Pendlay Elite plates for my Oly lifts, I still use the TF bumpers for my deadlifts and some other lifts that involve the weights smacking the ground.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Dotmar Fitness, in Mississauga, is a good place to look as well. They sell some pretty good quality stuff. I've had several good experiences with them.

The biggest difference between the TPB and the OPB is 28.5mm vs 29mm. That 0.5mm can be a tremendous difference depending on your hand size.

Mech6 seems to have an impeccable reputation around here. Don't think you can go wrong with him.

I've got a 3x3 7ga bolted rack. It's as strong and sturdy as any welded rack I've ever used of the same design.

I own some of the Treadmill Factory "economy" bumpers and they are fine for what you described. While I've upgraded to Pendlay Elite plates for my Oly lifts, I still use the TF bumpers for my deadlifts and some other lifts that involve the weights smacking the ground.
    is 28.5 and 29mm really that big of a difference? im sure you would get used to 0.5mm difference in diameter ...