Krazeesik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Extremely Limited Diet Options

Hey! DISCLAIMER: I typed this on my tablet, beware of typos, if they exist.

I'm seeking motivation to get my ass back in the gym after being out of the military for 4 years. I'm starting back up with the 5x5. I currently weigh about 230. Looking for helpful suggestions for meal planning, with my food availability.

I currently live in the far reaches of the Pacific between Hawaii and Guam, out in the Marshall Islands. It is a military base (I'm now a contractor), so I have a dining facility to accommodate my "Nutritional Needs" . Those of you aware of most of these facilities knows how lacking they can be, and this particular one is much more lacking than most due to our geographical location. I do have access to a "Grocery Store" but it's a far cry from anything in the states. This means no organic foods or anything of the sort.

Things I do have access to: DFac for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A varying menu but has reasonable amounts of chicken throughout the week for lunch and dinner and a varying salad bar - a sandwich station where I have access to tuna.. sometimes. Breakfast I can get fresh eggs (or the ****ty powdered kind), oatmeal, fruit, sausage and some days BACON.. Also, I have a crock pot so if that needs to be utilized, so be it, I can make that accommodation. I also have lots of fish that I catch out here: yellow fin tuna, mahi, ono (wahoo), dogtooth, etc.

As much as things vary for each individual, I would like for someone to make suggestions for my diet. My overall goal is to convert this weight back into muscle. I'm not worried about losing an X amount of weight particularly. Just looking to get a solid routine running to begin with. If that means chicken and broccoli in the crock pot every day then let's get it. I can make due with what I have, just need an extra set of eyes on the situation to give me the extra mental motivation to do it.

Being prior military the motivation I need is: someone toss some ideas, then just look at me and tell me to f***ING do it!

Thanks!

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For starters, you don't "convert fat to muscle", you lose fat and build muscle.
    Additionally, doing both at the same time is a very difficult, and often going to be unsuccessful, task.

You don't need organic foods, or to be eating chicken and "lean" foods 24/7.

Learn about calculating your individual dietary requirements (TDEE & MACROS), and then use a tool such as MyFitnessPal to track your intake throughout the day and focus on hitting your calorie, and macro needs by the end of the day through whatever food you have available.

Having served on several bases (including deployment), and I fairly confidently say, even the worst of DFACS usually have more than sufficient options available to create a balanced diet.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

I understand that converting isn't a thing. It was more of a catch all term. I was once @ 165 but I never want to get that lean again. I was in great physical shape but I hated how sickly I looked. So I guess my main concern is muscle growth currently. I have just recently lost my chest and arm size that seemingly never went away. Before it was strictly army PT, roughly 12+ mile runs per day, push ups, sits ups, etc. But , rarely got to see the gym for free weights or machines. I want to be able to generate muscle growth. Maybe nutrition isn't the only Avenue I need assistance in.

OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I live in a very remote corner of the pacific (far more remote than Kwaj!!) myself...

-How much freezer space do you have? Buy a case of chicken whenever a frozen ship shows up. You get a ton of chicken and its all the best part (the thigh)
    -Have a side of sashimi with every meal. Mercury isn't a huge concern if you aren't buying/catching huge fish.
    -EGGS. Just stock up when they are available. They take forever to go bad, and its obvious when they are bad because they smell and turn brown. But eggs are perfectly good for months past the date on the carton.
    -Canned mackeral, canned sardines are both great protein.
    -Canned corned beef
    -Make botargo out of fish roe.

Just utilize that stuff for protein when there isn't good protein available at the cafeteria and then go nuts on the salad bar. I would kill for a salad bar...

It *is* possible! Like I said, I live in a far more remote and less developed place in the Pacific than Kwaj, and I've managed to lose 30lbs already while getting plenty of protein and having lots of tasty foods.

Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    I live in a very remote corner of the pacific (far more remote than Kwaj!!) myself...

-How much freezer space do you have? Buy a case of chicken whenever a frozen ship shows up. You get a ton of chicken and its all the best part (the thigh)
    -Have a side of sashimi with every meal. Mercury isn't a huge concern if you aren't buying/catching huge fish.
    -EGGS. Just stock up when they are available. They take forever to go bad, and its obvious when they are bad because they smell and turn brown. But eggs are perfectly good for months past the date on the carton.
    -Canned mackeral, canned sardines are both great protein.
    Chicken, eggs, and sashimi are all things I can live with. All my fish is caught myself on oceanside.

Far more remote? Compared to states Kwaj is pretty remote, however I know there are much lower grades - as I travel to them quite often. Where are you at?

KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I typically don't like giving out general advice, but you need to read the stickies.

It's not WHAT you eat 90% of the time that determines your body composition, it's HOW MUCH you eat. Other details (organic food) have a tiny place in the grand scheme of your physique.

Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Staying lean in the military world vs. staying lean in the civilian world is a very different thing. Your nutrition needs to be on point out here and a great place to start is the nutrition stickies.

I was 185 in the military, got out and was 245 in a year. Now back down to 208.
    I have to return some videotapes

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    -Some fish guy

225 Bench
    275 DL
    235 Squat