Piepod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Maximum fat loss in 3 months

Hey guys - I'm 5'7", currently ~170lbs and looking to cut some serious weight over the summer. I'm currently going to the gym everyday (2 days weight training, 1 day cardio, repeat) and am eating around 160g of protein a day (good carbs 200g, fat <80g). Is there anything else I can be doing to maximize my results in 3 months? I'm currently at ~25% body fat and looking to get down to maybe 18-20% by the end of the summer if possible...

benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You probably only have to lose 15-20 pounds to get down to that BF range. Given that the end of summer is 13-14 weeks away then you only have to lose 1-1.5lb a week. Easily achieved with some hard work.

Eat at 20-25% below maintenance, >1g/lb of protein and >0.45g/lb of fat and you'll easily hit your goal. Good luck.

Originally Posted by benh2 View Post
    You probably only have to lose 15-20 pounds to get down to that BF range. Given that the end of summer is 13-14 weeks away then you only have to lose 1-1.5lb a week. Easily achieved with some hard work.

Eat at 20-25% below maintenance, >1g/lb of protein and >0.45g/lb of fat and you'll easily hit your goal. Good luck.
    Thanks bro - when you mean maintenance, should I use benedict-harris with the activity multiplier? Or just go off the BMR? Because if I'm working out every day, my maintenance is gonna be ~2500 (bmr 1800). The activity multiplier on benedict-harris seems really arbitrary...

ferasenani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Piepod View Post
    Hey guys - I'm 5'7", currently ~170lbs and looking to cut some serious weight over the summer. I'm currently going to the gym everyday (2 days weight training, 1 day cardio, repeat) and am eating around 160g of protein a day (good carbs 200g, fat <80g). Is there anything else I can be doing to maximize my results in 3 months? I'm currently at ~25% body fat and looking to get down to maybe 18-20% by the end of the summer if possible...
    Hello,
    I have red tons of articles. Most of them say that low carb diets help in burning more fat than high carb ones. Before your workout, you wanna keep your insulin level low to burn more fat, which carbs increase it. The best way, in many people opinions, is to consume carbs after workout, because your body needs so. Plus it is preferred to consume high digesting carbs. The plan I follow is 1-1.5 protein, .4-.45 healthy fat and .3 carbs/lb. In the end, you are the one who decides which one your body react better to the plan. This is the plan I follow and it works well for me.

benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Piepod View Post
    Thanks bro - when you mean maintenance, should I use benedict-harris with the activity multiplier? Or just go off the BMR? Because if I'm working out every day, my maintenance is gonna be ~2500 (bmr 1800). The activity multiplier on benedict-harris seems really arbitrary...
    The calculator on iifym.com seems the most accurate.

BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100)
    If your looking to maximize fat loss within the next couple months and not really give a **** about your strength i would drop your carb intake down 100g and up the protein and fat another 50g. Doesn't have to be exact but play around with your macros according to your bmr. In order to achieve maximum fat loss you need to put your body in a state of ketosis(low carb-forcing Lipolysis in subcutaneous and visceral fat). Yeah and dropping 10-15lbs will be easy in 3 moths with hard work.

The average person can't go into ketosis with that much protein. Keto is very high fat with only moderate protein. I have done keto properly and it's very effective at kick starting weight loss. Early loss is drastic as it is naturally difficult to get your maintenance calories due to the food limitations and the absence of carbs gets rid of all the water very quickly.

By keeping protein high as well you're merely in a low carb diet. You're either strongly for or against keto but I'd recommend it if muscle retention isn't high on the agenda.

Should I be limiting my carb intake to less than 200g? I really just wanna look better and perform better athletically so I do need to retain muscle.

BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100) BCAshock is not very well liked. (-100)
    Too much protein can indeed retard ketosis. But if you're active enough, you need the protein so your body doesn't convert the amino acids already in your muscle into glucose. My opinion, definitely drop the carbs. I have been in a ketosis state 5 days a week. I drop 1 lb a day. Although, i have lost a lot of strength(i don't care about strength anyway). This is working extremely well for me. Just depends on your goals man

Ennyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BCAshock View Post
    Too much protein can indeed retard ketosis. But if you're active enough, you need the protein so your body doesn't convert the amino acids already in your muscle into glucose. My opinion, definitely drop the carbs. I have been in a ketosis state 5 days a week. I drop 1 lb a day. Although, i have lost a lot of strength(i don't care about strength anyway). This is working extremely well for me. Just depends on your goals man
    If you`re losing 3.5 kg a week, then obviously you`re doing something wrong..
    You`re probably burning 1 or 1.5 kg of fat and 2 to 2.5 kg of muscle.
    At the end of the day, you`ll weight less and look the same. I`ve made that mistake lots of times until I`ve learned.

Now, answering the post.. Well, you need to eat carbs.. Lower carbs does not mean you`ll burn more fat.. You need carbs to burn fat and repair tissue better. Most people make the mistake of thinking losing weight is always good. That`s not how it works.. the key is losing FAT and not muscle or just 'weight'. That`ll make sure you lower body fat.
    If you cut too much on carbs, you`ll lose weight really fast.. but not fat.. You`ll lose some fat, the same amount you`d lose eating carbs normally and working out, but the rest is going to be mostly muscle being torn and not repaired in time, or just muscle being destroyed to make energy.
    My advice is eat enough carbs to sustain your muscles, and if you see you`re losing strength or having a hard time at the gym, increase the carbs.
    Last edited by Ennyn; 06-07-2015 at 08:25 PM.