TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking to get Lean Muscle Mass. Online PT was a bust

Hey guys!
    My macros are as listed... what the online PT gave me
    2,460 Cal per day 50%Carbs 20%Fat 30%Protein

I put down, as my goal, that i want to build up to 190lbs in lean mass FROM MY 173.

The PT gave me this after i questioned his previous calorie count, which was lower. He responded with how he and his buddies took 7 years to look as he does so its near unattainable. Even though that wasnt a great boost in my spirits, i just told him i want to gain muscle no matter how long it takes.

I apologized and went with his plan. But when i had questions there was no answers. I sent at least 4 emails about the diet and training. Nothing. That was a hundred dollars well spent right?!

Im paying for a reason. I have the will and the crave for knowledge to take myself to the next level, but fell through a hole here. So i came to you guys, which i should have came to from the beginning.

My Stats

173lbs
    5'10
    Im well versed in training.
    Dont matter how slow it takes me. I want a lean 190lbs
    Me Now:
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5.../pic_01074.jpg

Help a brotha out YAHL!

Thank you

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out the routine in my sig, my man.

I break down periodization basics for you, and there are also great resources in the video description.

The routine's not half bad, either.

edit -- lol just lol at those macros (gimme a min and i'll get at you with a better response)

TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Turtora View Post
    Check out the routine in my sig, my man.

I break down periodization basics for you, and there are also great resources in the video description.

The routine's not half bad, either.

edit -- lol just lol at those macros (gimme a min and i'll get at you with a better response)
    I told you there was someting fishy with those MACROS!!
    100 dollars....................... But thanks for the reply. i shall check your training out

jonerben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion you don't need a coach, unless in serious dieting for a competition, but that's just my opinion. You don't state how long you've been lifting but I'd recommend using either an upper/lower split or a legs/push/pull programme, focusing on compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, bent over rows etc). And add in some accessory work, focus on progressive overload and developing good form in those movements, this will assist you in gaining mass. In terms of your diet, use an online bmr calculator to estimate your basal metabolic Rate, and add on 500 calories to the amount it gives you. For example if your bmr is 2000kcals, then eat 2500kcals a day, when your weight gains stalls, add 200-500 more calories and continue. Hope this helps

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheCEL View Post
    I told you there was someting fishy with those MACROS!!
    100 dollars....................... But thanks for the reply. i shall check your training out
    Quoting myself from another thread

Originally Posted by turtora
    In this order, you should be considering:

1. calories in vs calories out
    2. macros
    3. micros
    4. nutrient timing
    5. supplements

Throw out the entire notion of 40/40/20 for macronutrient profiles. Calculate your required proton intake (0.8-1g protons per lb of bodyweight), calculate your carbotrons (if you're bulking, I recommend 40-50%, if you're cutting then somewhere around 20-40%), and then get the rest of your fats from the deficit.

Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dan3317 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jonerben View Post
    For example if your bmr is 2000kcals, then eat 2500kcals a day, when your weight gains stalls, add 200-500 more calories and continue. Hope this helps
    You aren't going to gain anything eating 500 calories above your BMR unless you're bed ridden. 500 above total daily expenditure is what's needed.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172590831 <<< New training log as of 10/7/16

Working diligently for a 405 bench.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    PT's have always been overrated to me, and overpriced. There is a wealth of good knowledge if you look and ask in the right places. Look in the nutrition section for more info on things like macros and how much calories you need to consume to gain weight. It won't take you seven years to get to a lean 190 lbs, but I would give it a year or two if everything goes well.
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

Originally Posted by jonerben View Post
    In my opinion you don't need a coach, unless in serious dieting for a competition, but that's just my opinion. You don't state how long you've been lifting but I'd recommend using either an upper/lower split or a legs/push/pull programme, focusing on compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, bent over rows etc). And add in some accessory work, focus on progressive overload and developing good form in those movements, this will assist you in gaining mass. In terms of your diet, use an online bmr calculator to estimate your basal metabolic Rate, and add on 500 calories to the amount it gives you. For example if your bmr is 2000kcals, then eat 2500kcals a day, when your weight gains stalls, add 200-500 more calories and continue. Hope this helps
    That's a advice man! Thank you! Yea I been lifting for 5 years but can't seem to pack on them mass pounds. I thought that a PT could help but nope. I shall try this! Thanks again!

Quoting myself from another thread
    for this could I would have to go on a bulking phase right? It will pack on pounds but it won't be the lean look I'm looking for right? Is it true you have to bulk up then cut from there? Isnt there a lean muscle bulk? Haha

Originally Posted by Dan3317 View Post
    You aren't going to gain anything eating 500 calories above your BMR unless you're bed ridden. 500 above total daily expenditure is what's needed.
    5000 cals everyday? Oh snapz! So 500 above what is calculated as my daily I take right? Sorr . Dieting novice here

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    PT's have always been overrated to me, and overpriced. There is a wealth of good knowledge if you look and ask in the right places. Look in the nutrition section for more info on things like macros and how much calories you need to consume to gain weight. It won't take you seven years to get to a lean 190 lbs, but I would give it a year or two if everything goes well.
    Thanks for the advice. Yea PTs has giving me a sour taste now. The guy service came with 24 hours email help and blew me off. This is the place I shoulda came in the first place.

Thanks yahl
    Last edited by TheCEL; 05-26-2015 at 04:25 PM.

for this could I would have to go on a bulking phase right? It will pack on pounds but it won't be the lean look I'm looking for right? Is it true you have to bulk up then cut from there? Isnt there a lean muscle bulk? Haha
    Ehh. I'm not a fan of lean bulking. You can do it, but the progress is so slow that it generally makes you go crazy before you can actually see any results.

Also, I think I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. Dan definitely helped, but just to clarify:

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate [how many calories to keep you alive in a coma])
    2. Use the Harris Benedict formula to account for the activity factor calculate your TDEE (total daily energy energy expenditure) (Let's use 3500 cals TDEE)
    3. Calculate your proton intake in grams (0.8-1g per lb of bodyweight) and multiply by 4 (4 calories/gram of protons) (E.g. - 200g protons = 800 calories)
    4. Subtract that proton calories from TDEE+500 (E.g. 3500 TDEE + 500 cals for bulk - 800 proton cals = 3200 calories left)
    5. If bulking, say 40% carbotrons, 4000*.4 = 1600/4 = 400g carbs (4 calories/gram of carbotrons)
    6. 4000-1600-800 = 1600 cals from fats = 1600/9 = 178g fats (9 calories/gram of fats)

Does that make sense? From there, you would vary your fats/carbotrons to achieve the desired level of body composition during your bulk.

Ehh. I'm not a fan of lean bulking. You can do it, but the progress is so slow that it generally makes you go crazy before you can actually see any results.

Also, I think I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. Dan definitely helped, but just to clarify:

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate [how many calories to keep you alive in a coma])
    2. Use the Harris Benedict formula to account for the activity factor calculate your TDEE (total daily energy energy expenditure) (Let's use 3500 cals TDEE)
    3. Calculate your proton intake in grams (0.8-1g per lb of bodyweight) and multiply by 4 (4 calories/gram of protons) (E.g. - 200g protons = 800 calories)
    4. Subtract that proton calories from TDEE+500 (E.g. 3500 TDEE + 500 cals for bulk - 800 proton cals = 3200 calories left)
    5. If bulking, say 40% carbotrons, 4000*.4 = 1600/4 = 400g carbs (4 calories/gram of carbotrons)
    6. 4000-1600-800 = 1600 cals from fats = 1600/9 = 178g fats (9 calories/gram of fats)

Does that make sense? From there, you would vary your fats/carbotrons to achieve the desired level of body composition during your bulk.
    Wow. That's some crazy bodybuilding science there! But this is seriously what I need. THABK YOU!! That 100 dollars...... Dang it all!!😊 .
    I shall come back with results!
    Thanks all!!

Wow. That's some crazy bodybuilding science there! But this is seriously what I need. THABK YOU!! That 100 dollars...... Dang it all!!�� .
    I shall come back with results!
    Thanks all!!
    Np man. Online personal training definitely has its place, it's just about finding the guy that's legit instead of the one that's going to scam you. Which is pretty hard over the internet. I've even heard really bad complaints similar to yours about Mike O'Hearn's online coaching, and he's supposed to be one of the best in the business :/

Here's another way to do it, though:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Emma-leigh does it a bit differently in that she doesn't necessarily set an arbitrary value on carbs unless you're in a pretty active lifestyle. She also uses a different TDEE calculator, which is supposedly a bit better than the Harris Benedict equation. She knows a lot more than I do and she's probably right. Regarding carbs though, in my personal experience I've found them to be pretty important. So are fats, but for bulks, I really like carbs ^^

Just make sure you recognize this, though:

BMR and TDEE calculations are just theoretical #s. Nothing will replace logging your weight over a month and tracking your own progress to gain a better understanding of what is ACTUALLY applicable to you.

My preffered method of doing this:

- Get an excel sheet
    - Make one column "Date" and go down about a month
    - Make one column "Weight", and log each morning after a visit to the toilet
    - Plot the trend after 2 weeks and see where you stand (+/- weight, etc). Adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by Turtora; 05-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Simply, you really just need to eat enough to gain 1/2 lb a week. Do this for 4-6 months and then cut at .5-1lb per week for 2-3 months. Repeat until you've achieved the look you want.

The macro breakdown is important, but as long as you have a decent intake of all macros you'll do fine. Calculate the macro breakdown based on the info provided by the guys above. Then weigh all your food and try to get within 10-20% of the macro numbers you calculated every day.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. There are a lot guys that don't count anything and just eat enough to gain weight and get exceptional results. Your issue is simply not gaining weight. It isn't that you are missing some magic formula for gains.

Good luck.
    Experience, not just theory

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Simply, you really just need to eat enough to gain 1/2 lb a week. Do this for 4-6 months and then cut at .5-1lb per week for 2-3 months. Repeat until you've achieved the look you want.

The macro breakdown is important, but as long as you have a decent intake of all macros you'll do fine. Calculate the macro breakdown based on the info provided by the guys above. Then weigh all your food and try to get within 10-20% of the macro numbers you calculated every day.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. There are a lot guys that don't count anything and just eat enough to gain weight and get exceptional results. Your issue is simply not gaining weight. It isn't that you are missing some magic formula for gains.

Good luck.
    Awesome thanks for the awesome advice!
    If this doesnt work i think i might try just eating like a mad man and then cut down. Just the fact of bulking seems squeamish to me because you'll be alittle chunky till you cut down. Dang it

Thanks again!~

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Awesome thanks for the awesome advice!
    If this doesnt work i think i might try just eating like a mad man and then cut down. Just the fact of bulking seems squeamish to me because you'll be alittle chunky till you cut down. Dang it

Thanks again!~
    You've got to be ok with losing sight of your abs if you want results any time soon. Lean bulking is possible, but it takes much longer and you're clearly having a hard time doing that.

Bulk and cut just like everyone else and you'll do just fine.
    Experience, not just theory