nicolol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for a sled

Hey, I'm looking for recommendations on a good sled to buy. Here are a few criteria I'm looking for:

1. Some kind of slick feet option - will be used on a smooth concrete basement that I don't want to scratch.
    2. Bars not too wide - I'm pretty small and don't want my shoulders failing before legs.
    3. Can handle a lot of weight - I'm doing this for strength not cardio.
    4. Preferably dual sided, so I don't have to keep turning it around.

Basically I want to do this: youtube.com/watch?v=taetX31Bs-w , and this sled looks perfect, except I don't know if it would go smoothly on concrete, and I'm not sure where to find it. Anyone know of a sled like this?

thank you

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most Prowlers would suit you just fine. Get some nylon ski's for the foot plates if you're concerned about your basement floor. I've been using the sled use in the video you posted for a few years, on my street, and it has never left any marks without the nylon ski's.

http://www.elitefts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=prowler

matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I use a Rogue dog sled 1.2 and have had a couple other sleds as well. Even the ones without any plastic skids don't leave much if any marks on the floor or pavement, and with plastic skids they move a good bit faster and with no marks at all. The biggest difference with plastic skids is noise -- I use mine on asphalt or sidewalk so I get long enough runs, and neighbors occasionally raised issues about the noise until I put the skids on. I'd imagine that would be an issue for you in a basement as well.

Bigger consideration is that unless you have a huge basement, you don't really have enough room to get going with the sled. You really want 25 meters or more just as a minimum. I'd think about getting a double-ended sled like the one I have. Install a thick slab of high molecular weight polyethylene sheet (I got a big scrap piece of 1" sheet that's almost the size of the contact area of the sled and installed it with deeply recessed flat-head allen bolts) and use it on the street. People may look at you oddly, but it doesn't take too much to get to where you can't get the workout you need with less than a warehouse or parking lot or your front sidewalk to use. I slide mine out of my garage onto the street and use a combination of a rowing pull bar for backwards motion, a shoulder harness for forward, and the vertical posts for pushing. It's a superb workout and better for developing sprint strength than almost anything else including plyos, but give yourself the room to do it right.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by matchsprint View Post
    I use a Rogue dog sled 1.2 and have had a couple other sleds as well. Even the ones without any plastic skids don't leave much if any marks on the floor or pavement, and with plastic skids they move a good bit faster and with no marks at all. The biggest difference with plastic skids is noise -- I use mine on asphalt or sidewalk so I get long enough runs, and neighbors occasionally raised issues about the noise until I put the skids on. I'd imagine that would be an issue for you in a basement as well.

Bigger consideration is that unless you have a huge basement, you don't really have enough room to get going with the sled. You really want 25 meters or more just as a minimum. I'd think about getting a double-ended sled like the one I have. Install a thick slab of high molecular weight polyethylene sheet (I got a big scrap piece of 1" sheet that's almost the size of the contact area of the sled and installed it with deeply recessed flat-head allen bolts) and use it on the street. People may look at you oddly, but it doesn't take too much to get to where you can't get the workout you need with less than a warehouse or parking lot or your front sidewalk to use. I slide mine out of my garage onto the street and use a combination of a rowing pull bar for backwards motion, a shoulder harness for forward, and the vertical posts for pushing. It's a superb workout and better for developing sprint strength than almost anything else including plyos, but give yourself the room to do it right.
    If you're doing prowler sprints, then yes you definitely want 25 metres+. But if you're going heavy you don't need quite that much. If you're going heavy there really is no need to go beyond 15m. If you're trying to go heavy, and you can do more than 15m, then you need to go heavier. If he is doing sled drags and pushes, he could probably get away with 10m. If you get creative then the sky is the limit.

This is WWE's Triple H, working out in his basement home gym. He looks like he only has about 10m of room

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    could be a great application for the XPO sled that uses wheels with resistance instead of skis

http://www.armoredfitness.com/products/xpo-sled
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like the Rogue Dog Sled 1.2 would be a perfect fit for you. Its small and compact, built like a tank (100+lbs), bar holders on each side, and you can easily attach plastic skis to avoid tearing up the floor/sled. You also have the ability to add numerous attachments in the future, some pretty cool options.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Sounds like the Rogue Dog Sled 1.2 would be a perfect fit for you. Its small and compact, built like a tank (100+lbs), bar holders on each side, and you can easily attach plastic skis to avoid tearing up the floor/sled. You also have the ability to add numerous attachments in the future, some pretty cool options.
    Definitely my recommendation. If you can pull and push the same sled it gives you a couple very different workouts. I don't like the little tricycle sleds because they require you be very low to push them; I have a heel spur that doesn't put up with that much flexion and even if you don't, I've seen a lot of people develop spurs with low-position sled pushing (pulling in a forward position is some of the same problem, reverse pulling isn't as much of an issue).

Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000) Keoking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nicolol View Post
    1. Some kind of slick feet option - will be used on a smooth concrete basement that I don't want to scratch.
    <<< never seen any sled in person, let alone pushed one on any surface

Anyhow, wouldn't any ski material scratch concrete due to particulates/dirt/debris getting embedded in the skis? I saw scratches on a concrete pad after using a piece of cardboard to slide a heavy piece of furniture. If I'd washed / vac'ed the concrete first I'm sure it would have been better, but won't there always be some shedding of particles from the concrete surface? This might not be visible on a street, but basement concrete might show it a lot more.

nicolol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know you could get such a long middle pole for the rogue sled. That was really the only thing I didn't like about it, but now it seems perfect. And my basement is really long btw, longer than triple h's (its an apartment complex basement). If I notice debris being an issue I'll bring a broom or something, it's not pristine to begin with.

Anyways thanks again.

If scratching the floor were a consideration (sounds like it isn't), you can get inexpensive rolls of an astroturf-like carpet made for gyms to do just this kind of workout. The stuff comes in a runner-like width and is very versatile. Roll it out, spray paint distances on it, and use it for all kinds of exercises. It rolls up quite compactly and isn't heavy so you can stick it in a duffel bag and put it away. Just anchor the ends with a couple bumper plates.

However, I've pushed and pulled the same sled all over the street and then up a brick driveway with some tile inserts and I've never had noticeable scratching. There are some variations on the sled that have smaller feet which can help minimize marking as well (check Rae Crowther's dog sled, for example).

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    since your gona use it in your basement i'd just make it out of either 4x4 or 4x6 wood and use pvc underneath the pieces for skis i've made 2 just like that and also bought one from titan fitness its the same thing and alot cheaper.
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dog Sled 1.2 is sweet. I've owned the Rogue drag sled, Prowler knockoff and now the Dog Sled.
    Garage Gym Owner