EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Nothing no long working for personal training client

I've had a client drop about 70lbs from 270 to 200 over the course of a years time or so.

Over the past year and a half this client has put on an additional 20 to back up to 220. Client logs food religiously, eats out once or so a week. I trust that the client isn't lying about the food logging.

I sent her to a RD about a year ago who increased cal total from 1600 to 2200. That did not work. I've had her increase workload, decrease workload. We've done heavier, lighter, and cardio heavy training periods. Nothing has stood out as a good match after her initial loss.

We've dropped her calories to about 1500 or so and did a reverse diet up to about 1800 which worked well and she lost about 3lbs along the way BUT then had gall bladder surgery and a family member die which threw off the diet, increased stress, decreased workout efforts, etc...

Its been a slow gradual increase back up to 220.

Client has gotten bloodwork done, has been to the doctor about confusing weight gain with no answers.

Nothing is making much sense, have over 20 clients and most logical things work even if someone hits a plateau.

Nothing seems to be working for this one any longer. Was thinking of suggesting an elimination diet, does that make sense?

Sodium/fiber is in normal ranges. Says she is not on any new medications or anything. Cannot guess what is causing this increase in weight at this point.

I also once again DO believe the client is truthful about the logging and she has increased her workout days to 4-5 per week.

Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd say the simple answer is the most accurate. There is something she's eating that she's not really counting. An apple here, a handful of cereal there. I'd say have her get a food scale and measure every single thing she puts in her body.
    It's simple physiology, somebody cannot gain weight without the fuel.
    I have to return some videotapes

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    -Some fish guy

225 Bench
    275 DL
    235 Squat

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPoe View Post
    I've had a client drop about 70lbs from 270 to 200 over the course of a years time or so.

Over the past year and a half this client has put on an additional 20 to back up to 220. Client logs food religiously, eats out once or so a week. I trust that the client isn't lying about the food logging.

I sent her to a RD about a year ago who increased cal total from 1600 to 2200. That did not work. I've had her increase workload, decrease workload. We've done heavier, lighter, and cardio heavy training periods. Nothing has stood out as a good match after her initial loss.

We've dropped her calories to about 1500 or so and did a reverse diet up to about 1800 which worked well and she lost about 3lbs along the way BUT then had gall bladder surgery and a family member die which threw off the diet, increased stress, decreased workout efforts, etc...

Its been a slow gradual increase back up to 220.

Client has gotten bloodwork done, has been to the doctor about confusing weight gain with no answers.

Nothing is making much sense, have over 20 clients and most logical things work even if someone hits a plateau.

Nothing seems to be working for this one any longer. Was thinking of suggesting an elimination diet, does that make sense?

Sodium/fiber is in normal ranges. Says she is not on any new medications or anything. Cannot guess what is causing this increase in weight at this point.

I also once again DO believe the client is truthful about the logging and she has increased her workout days to 4-5 per week.
    This is something i've been trained in. What i typically do is go ultra high protein intake, roughly 300g and keep a slight deficit along with cardio as much as possible. I keep increasing protein if needed. You don't need an elimination diet, that's nonsense.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    This is something i've been trained in. What i typically do is go ultra high protein intake, roughly 300g and keep a slight deficit along with cardio as much as possible. I keep increasing protein if needed. You don't need an elimination diet, that's nonsense.
    how does this sort of diet help to break through the weight loss plateau? is it something that you use until the weight starts to go down again?
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Creating bodily entropy. Gen1GT's Avatar
    Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nobody is immune from the physical laws of the universe. Just ensure you has carb refeeds to break up the longer deficit(s). If she's adapted to the lower intake with a lower metabolism, you need to further lower the intake.
    286 lbs - March 11, 2019 (started Keto)
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    how does this sort of diet help to break through the weight loss plateau? is it something that you use until the weight starts to go down again?
    It's the way the body handles protein intake and the natural anabolic nature of protein. Something i hate explaining as it has both solid science and some pseudoscience tied in to it. However anecdotally it's ridiculously proven.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    It's the way the body handles protein intake and the natural anabolic nature of protein. Something i hate explaining as it has both solid science and some pseudoscience tied in to it. However anecdotally it's ridiculously proven.
    thanks, i doubt i'd understand the science anyway; just curious.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-lo...t-make-you-fat

Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great link, thanks for that.
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

thanks

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The link is a bit misleading. It makes a couple of good points about overfeeding protein but make no mistake, if you're going on a large surplus from protein you'll still get fat, it just won't be the protein being stored as fat. It will be fat and carbs that get stored.

Not to say that Rhadams tip is not good because it is. IMO the main reason why it works is that protein is the most satiating nutrient. If she goes on a super high diet she'll be far less likely to eat more calories than planned.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    The link is a bit misleading. It makes a couple of good points about overfeeding protein but make no mistake, if you're going on a large surplus from protein you'll still get fat, it just won't be the protein being stored as fat. It will be fat and carbs that get stored.

Not to say that Rhadams tip is not good because it is. IMO the main reason why it works is that protein is the most satiating nutrient. If she goes on a super high diet she'll be far less likely to eat more calories than planned.
    Are you sure?

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/19

Have you found a study where so much excess protein was consumed that subjects were able to gain fat?

PS. Are you on the low-carb sleep schedule too, and up at 4AM like me? LOL
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gen1GT View Post
    Are you sure?
    Pretty sure yeah.

Hopefully you understand that a free living study with self reported intake through Myfitnesspal can never serve as proof of your position.

PS. Are you on the low-carb sleep schedule too, and up at 4AM like me? LOL
    Haha, no. After my massive carb feeding last night I slept for 9 hours. It's now 10:52 AM in The Netherlands.

That's one of the things I didn't not really enjoy about low carb, short sleep.

Yes, I know the self-reported nature of the study is a flaw, but the data are not all over the map. If there was no accuracy to the reporting, the data would have been random garbage. Any time there are multiple studies showing similar results, I think it's worth noting.

Kind of like this study:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs...65510902912754

Not all foods are equal in their bio-availability, and just because you can burn something in a calorimeter (like protein, fibre, nuts etc), it doesn't mean those calories are available to our bodies in the same proportions. I can't find my information on the amino-acid pathways, but it's very complex, and just the process of converting it to urea and excreting it is an energy waster (nothing you don't already know, of course).

If anyone could find it, I'd love to see a study that successfully correlated protein overfeeding with fat gain.
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

Originally Posted by Gen1GT View Post
    Yes, I know the self-reported nature of the study is a flaw, but the data are not all over the map.
    Actually, IMO, they were.

Some people lost 2.0 kg of fat while some other(s) gained 2.4 kg. That's a massive difference in only 8 weeks.

And it's because there was such a large SD, none of it came out as statistically significant.

Also the fact that some people lost 0.2kg while they were supposed to be in a surplus should cast serious doubt on this study.

If anyone could find it, I'd love to see a study that successfully correlated protein overfeeding with fat gain.
    The study in that article.

And, not evidence of course but Lyle explains it well.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...orage-qa.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-get-fat.html/

But for the record, if you're going to overfeed, very high protein is imo the best choice. Don't be fooled into believing that you can't gain fat though because you will.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 05-16-2015 at 03:50 AM.

Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tend to go with what was said earlier (#2) High probability of over eating and under reporting.