sammymunki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Fatigue from 60 min HIIT

Hey guys,

New to the forum so go easy

I'm a 39 year old female, UK 6-8 athletic build. I workout 4-5 times a week and admit I'm hooked on the adrenoline rush that exercise brings.

I've tried everything over the years. This week I've done 3 60 min HIIT workouts (20 min HIIT x 3) and although it felt great at the time, two days later I'm left with extreme fatigue (to the point of struggling to get out of bed), irritability and a very low feeling. I've actually only done 3 of these this week but it would seem that this is sufficient.

I also don't feel particularly thin as it were (I love feeling thin) and feel more stocky even though I'm assured this is in my head!

Next week I'm going back to running for a while but my question is, would you have said this was sufficient to cause so much fatigue?

Also, I'm not trying to lose weight as I have a 20 BMI as it is but I'm surprised that I haven't lost any. Is this my body clinging on? It's not a nice feeling, I couldn't workout on day 4 as I was so fatigued.

Advice would be great please peeps

Real talk, peace. BobLoblawBrah's Avatar
    BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you may just be adapting. and that usually takes more than one week.

hiit/training is done with a goal in mind. it takes time.

It's not adapting. I've done the same a few times and it always flaws me. I've been told just a few moments ago I'm in the red zone and should rest fr 36hrs?

So its okay to do 60 min HIIT?

Real talk, peace. BobLoblawBrah's Avatar
    BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobLoblawBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you have been doing it for a week. even trained athletes need weeks of time to adapt between different workout periods. you probably just need more than one week.

i have no idea what the red zone is but if youre dying you can take a day off.

60 minutes a week is not excessive at all. and i dont even know why youre listing it like that when really its 20 mins 3x a week. which again is almost a bare minimum to make progress.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    60 minutes of HIIT at one time is excessive, if you're training HIIT correctly. But I don't understand...are you doing a 60 minute session of HIIT or is 60 minutes a total for the week? ( If it's 60 minutes total for the week, don't list it like that, that's just confusing) If that's the total for the week (20 minute sessions) then you may need adapting or there could be another underlying problem, ie diet.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

I've done 60 minute HIIT workouts 3 times in succession

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sammymunki View Post
    I've done 60 minute HIIT workouts 3 times in succession
    That's your problem buddy, HIIT's not supposed to be trained in excess like that. The work portion is supposed to be balls to the wall, all out exertion and that's why HIIT sessions are kept to 20 minutes.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Cheers Get n fit! Yeah I know, I just figured three times that was a great workout and it is! I love going that hard.

What would you recommend for high intensity for an hour?

I reckon I must have been burning calories like mad?

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Could be a calorie problem. How much are you eating.
    *Trying to stay sane and get back to avi status.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If its 60 minutes it isnt high intensity.

I thi k that's the the problem, Paula. I don't fuel afterwards sufficiently. I eat small and often so I suspect a calorie deficit.

It bugs me when people say this, like 60 mins intensity is impossible.

I workout ridiculously intensely! I mean, full on Shaun T intensity. I break for a few minutes between 20 min bursts then go again.

Im very fit. I was a dancer for 25 years and I snowboard, run and cycLe.

I go flat out!

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I thi k that's the the problem, Paula. I don't fuel afterwards sufficiently. I eat small and often so I suspect a calorie deficit.
    Yeah, I would up your calories, especially carbs. That is a lot of cardio. If you insist on doing it then keep at it, but you need to fuel your body.
    Last edited by phoenix4444; 05-15-2015 at 06:16 AM.
    *Trying to stay sane and get back to avi status.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    It bugs me when people say this, like 60 mins intensity is impossible.
    "You can train hard or long but not both!" Vince Gironda

As DCSpartan stated, "If its 60 minutes it isnt high intensity."

Fooling Yourself

You are fooling yourself it you believe that you intensity will be the same with each 20 minute HIIT session.

I workout ridiculously intensely! I mean, full on Shaun T intensity. I break for a few minutes between 20 min bursts then go again.
    What the point?

The only point that I obtained from reading your post is the you are an adrenalin junk. So, if you point is getting high and staying high, multiple 20 minute quazi-HIIT sessions will get you there.

However, the same effect can be obtained and maintained longer with the right pharmaceuticals.

"Red Zone"

You multiple quazi-training sessions are definitely overloading your metabolism and putting you in the red zone.

Im very fit.
    Not For Long

The case in point is you statement, "...I'm left with extreme fatigue (to the point of struggling to get out of bed), irritability and a very low feeling."

How fit is an individual with that kind of debilitating fatigue?

Overreaching

This occurs when you push yourself too hard for a short period of time.

Cutting back on the training intensity quickly rectifies overreaching.

Overtraining

This happens with chronic long period of pushing it too hard.

Recovery occurs but it takes weeks and possibly months dependent on long the overtraining took place.

"Wound Healing

There is a direct relationship between overreaching and overtraining.

The greater the trauma to the body, the longer the recover period.

Thus, the longer you persist with this present program, the greater your fatigue will be and and the longer it will take you to recover from it.

I go flat out!
    No, You Don't

If a truly High Intensity Interval Training program is preformed correctly, you will have nothing left at the end of the routine.

You program is a quazi-HIIT program. That meaning you inadvertently hold back because you know you have more to do.

Lack of Knowledge

You clearly don't understand some of the concepts on training. Until you do, you will continue to struggle.

Rather than burning yourself out with counter productive training program, you need to us that time to gain some knowledge.

Alternative

Keep preforming your training session as they for a few month and see how that works for you.

That's one method of learning.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 05-15-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^^^ take this advice, great stuff. If I were you I'd be bothered by the fact that I'm basically using my workout for a high and becoming dependent on that high... Ok I'll admit I like the feeling I get from lifting weights and the pump is exhilarating, but I have had to train myself to love the rest days as well and to feel really great on those days. Now, I'm so rested when I go back into the gym, that I can really give that 110% effort necessary to grow, and I do still feel the pump on rest days and it's awesome even though I'm not doing anything for a "high" on those days. Learn to love recovery!

Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I also don't feel particularly thin as it were (I love feeling thin) and feel more stocky even though I'm assured this is in my head!
    From your avi you look very malnourished and thin and you may have an eating disorder. Overexercise, which you're clearly doing, is a hallmark trait of anorexics and bulimics. You feel this way because you're overloading your body with a TON of work and likely not eating enough to recover it. I could be wrong though. Whats your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and what is your total calorie intake?
    I have to return some videotapes

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    -Some fish guy

225 Bench
    275 DL
    235 Squat

Rafase282 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As kennycroxdale said, that advice was great. I too think that you are not doing the HIIT properly, I'm not that fit and sometimes I cant even do the 20 minutes, but that is okay cause I did try hard, it just means I have to build up until I can go harder for longer time, but as far as I know the point is to go as hard as you can for an interval and then instead of rest then you go at a lower pace before going all out again. I would say instead of doing 60 minutes do 20 and find something else to do, you said you like dancing so try that or somethign new. As for food, the more cardio you do the more carbs you will need to fuel your body so maybe you do not eat enough carbs before the workouts.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time.

I can't help but feel frustrated when I'm consistently told I'm not pushing as hard as I say, I'm holding back etc. I workout frequently with two PT friends and I'm told I absolutely do. However, we're not here to prove any points so I still appreciate your advice.

Yeah, I love working out but a junkie in need of a high I'm not. That kinda made me chuckle. I'd be using drugs if I needed a fix. I don't.

I'm far from malnourished. I live a great life. I don't have an eating disorder. Ive simply fallen into a rut with this pattern so wondered what you guys would recommend. I still do.

I didn't come on here to be told personal stuff about myself. Not sure there's any need for that.

Again, many thanks for the advice. It is appreciated. I'll crack on.

runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) runliftandlove is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not true HIIT if you can do it for 60 minutes..

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I go flat out!
    You cant go flat out, at 95% VO2 max, for 60 minutes straight. If you could, you could set the world record in the womens 10,000m TODAY.

There is a huge difference between getting your heart rte up to about 75% VO2 max, around 150-160 bpm, and truly going "flat out!"

rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If its 60 minutes it isnt high intensity.
    This. If you're doing "HIIT" for 60min sessions, you arent doing HIIT. It's literally physically impossible.
    NASM CPT

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    No reply
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're doing 60min cardio, not 60min High Interval Intensity Training.

We aren't doubting your commitment and focus during the cardio session, we are just doubting you are going at 95% heart rate/VO2 max for 60mins.
    We're all gonna make it.

Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If its an hour session is it really HIIT at that point? You can workout long or hard, but nit both.
    I'd say you are over training and just pushing yourself too much. Back off the HIIT to a more productive level. Going balls to the walls out on exercise to the point where you can't recover doesn't improve fitness, it takes away from it.
    I like personal responsibility and accountability. When you admit you are the problem you are simultaneously admitting you are the solution.

Red face

Connor, thanks for some ACTUAL advice. Finally.

I kinda get the feel that I absolutely do not do HIIT. Not sure what's giving me that vibe. Oh, and I have an eating disorder.

Glad that's been resolved.