MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench press lagging?

I can currently bench press 160 lbs for 6 reps with bar touching my chest. I don't have a spotter so I can't go all out on bench press. I can barbell row 155 lbs for 6 reps. My barbell row is almost the same as my bench press and I made more progress on the barbell row than the bench press. I really don't put full effort into bench pressing because of no spotter, I stop 1-2 reps before failure or make my last rep not a full rep for fear of being pinned by the bar if I don't think I can do a full rep. I can squat 155 lbs for 6 reps well below parallel. I hardly made any progress in bench pressing this year so far and I exclusively doing barbell benching as my benching exercise. In fact I was better at bench pressing when I used dumbbells and hammer strength machines for benching, hammer strength machines to finish off, and put more effort into those exercise and my occasional bench pressing at the time was much better and I had a spotter as well but it still felt easier at the time. Should bench pressing weight be much higher than barbell rowing weight? I don't seem to be making anymore progress in bench press but I am making progress in my other exercises.

dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I suggezt you get a power rack. Then there's no excuse for lagging

gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbk56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MuscleGainer View Post
    I can currently bench press 160 lbs for 6 reps with bar touching my chest. I don't have a spotter so I can't go all out on bench press. I can barbell row 155 lbs for 6 reps. My barbell row is almost the same as my bench press and I made more progress on the barbell row than the bench press. I really don't put full effort into bench pressing because of no spotter, I stop 1-2 reps before failure or make my last rep not a full rep for fear of being pinned by the bar if I don't think I can do a full rep. I can squat 155 lbs for 6 reps well below parallel. I hardly made any progress in bench pressing this year so far and I exclusively doing barbell benching as my benching exercise. In fact I was better at bench pressing when I used dumbbells and hammer strength machines for benching, hammer strength machines to finish off, and put more effort into those exercise and my occasional bench pressing at the time was much better and I had a spotter as well but it still felt easier at the time. Should bench pressing weight be much higher than barbell rowing weight? I don't seem to be making anymore progress in bench press but I am making progress in my other exercises.
    You bench more than you squat. I think you should be concentrating on your lagging squat.

Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can go all out benching at that weight. If you fail, as long as you're benching over your chest not your neck, you can just roll the bar down your body. Or leave the collars off, and tip the bar to the side to let the weight slide off.
    Training journal and diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155348593

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it's great that you row more than you bench. You should endeavor to keep it that way. It'll protect your shoulders in the long run.

That said, Google Dave tate so you think you can bench. Proper form will go a long way in bringing your numbers up.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleGainer View Post
    I can remember being at those weights for my lifts...

Just stay with it, hit your pushes and pulls and squats twice a week or twice in an 8 day period and make sure you are in a caloric surplus, even if you arent training to failure, youll get stronger. You might also try adding 5 lbs to your starting work weight every time you are able to reach 6...that will most likely keep you gaining in the 4-5-6 rep range.

You can always add some flyes after your bench and take those to failure and beyond by immediatly doing db press with the fly wt once you have failed. Its really not necessary but if you want more intensity, there it is.

You weight 154....as your body weight goes up, your bench, rows, squats will also go up provided you are trianing regularly and progressively lifting heavier weights in your training rep range. dont overthink this stuff, just do it. IF you stall, eat another small meal and see what happens.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000) tamu2005 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Richie71 View Post
    You can go all out benching at that weight. If you fail, as long as you're benching over your chest not your neck, you can just roll the bar down your body. Or leave the collars off, and tip the bar to the side to let the weight slide off.
    Came to say this.

Also, if in a gym just ask for a spot. Maybe you don't need it every set just the last one or two. Most folks won't mind. If it isn't an option just be prepared to bail.
    Come and take it.

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is ironic is I can remember being at your weight for my lifts...but luckily I made some progress.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    What is ironic is I can remember being at your weight for my lifts...but luckily I made some progress.

Its a shame that folks take certain things out of context. Notice that they highlighted one small portion of my post.

My intention was simply to show that we have all been there, struggled through a variety of plateus and have been through the process.

Internet opportunists that look to bully, harass and just generally crap on other people really need to get a life.

To the OP, I apologize if you think I was belittling your progress or work ethic or anything else. Notice that the other trolls didnt bother to try and actually help you. My intentions were certainly for the best.
    Last edited by coachcalande; 05-15-2015 at 05:52 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    bully, harass and just generally crap on other people
    So pointing out in a rather mild manner that part of your post was unbelievably patronising is "bullying or harrassment" now? FFS, how do you make it through the day?
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    FFS, how do you make it through the day?
    He's a high school 'strength coach' and football coach...teenagers fear his fat strong dad bod
    OG

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TBH, with the lifts you stated it seems you just don't push yourself enough in the weight room. There's many ways to bench without a spotter, you can even do the roll of shame if you have to.

Your bench seems fine...however your squat should be much higher, IMO. that's the real weakness.
    OG

Registered User wesleytimmons41's Avatar
    wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would suggest without a spotter changing your rep range to 8-12 could make a difference for you.

personally I find it easier to know if I have 1 more rep in the 8-12 range then in the 6.

You can make gains in any range , and the 4-6 range is certainly best done with a spotter, although I often do without.

Also for myself as I get older my joints appreciate the higher rep range , and for sanity it's good to vary rep ranges like 12-10-8-6 for a couple of months , followed by something like straight 8's for a couple,4-6 for a couple, etc.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So you training at a gym or at home OP?

Sounds like you could use a good basic strength program.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl