jkingyens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Uber for Fitness Trainers?

Hello, as a tech guy I'm seeing a lot of innovation that could be useful in the fitness industry (mobile devices, health apps, wearables, beacons, bluetooth LE, etc). As an outsider of the fitness industry, I am curious to gain some perspective as to what you all think about how the personal training industry could be transformed. Do you see a future where many people arrive at hiring a personal trainer as a result of trying to achieve fitness goals with apps first? I've been following the industry a bit and there some companies working to push this forward (GAIN Fitness, Vint, etc)

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jkingyens View Post
    Hello, as a tech guy I'm seeing a lot of innovation that could be useful in the fitness industry (mobile devices, health apps, wearables, beacons, bluetooth LE, etc). As an outsider of the fitness industry, I am curious to gain some perspective as to what you all think about how the personal training industry could be transformed. Do you see a future where many people arrive at hiring a personal trainer as a result of trying to achieve fitness goals with apps first? I've been following the industry a bit and there some companies working to push this forward (GAIN Fitness, Vint, etc)
    It does already. People try it on the app first, get discouraged/injured, and then contact a personal trainer for real help. I am not against technology, personal training is more than just developing an exercise routine and tracking performance. A large part of the job is constant client assessment, and then developing a fitness plan around that, to get the client to their personal fitness destination.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

jkingyens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Endevorforever View Post
    It does already. People try it on the app first, get discouraged/injured, and then contact a personal trainer for real help. I am not against technology, personal training is more than just developing an exercise routine and tracking performance. A large part of the job is constant client assessment, and then developing a fitness plan around that, to get the client to their personal fitness destination.
    Interesting. So you get clients who come to you saying they started by using an app first? I am wondering if there is an opportunity for personal trainers to acquire new business (clients) directly from mobile apps. If lots of people are using apps to reach their own personal fitness destination and are not progressing how they like, perhaps mobile health apps could "suggest" local trainers to them.

One reason I am interested is that I've built a mobile app for personal trainers that allows them to follow and connect with the companies behind these mobile fitness apps (like GAIN fitness, vint, etc). Basically, I think that having these mobile fitness brands build relationships with personal trainers across the globe is important. Right now, it notifies trainers when these mobile app companies are hiring trainers in the trainer's local town or city. However, I would like the app to connect trainers with more than just job opportunities. However, I am not quite sure where the most value is (providing new clients, workout programs, nutrition, gym access, etc).