TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to network with businesses and medical professionals

I'm not an independent trainer, rather I work for a franchise gym in a rural town. I've been working there as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor for seniors. I recently finished by undergrad and I was planning on going to PT school but the debt is HUGE. I already owe 70k and by the time I finish the DPT, I'd be well over 100k. Anyways, I turned down their sales position (paid minimum wage and took away all of my hours from training and I didn't hit their quota, I would be dropped anyways) so they said I can just focus on training.

The first thing I'd like to do is start making connections to businesses and medical professionals. I've worked as a PT tech for 5 years now, so I'm in good with the PT department and I'm going to speak with them about post-rehab training. I know of a physician that recommends strength training to seniors so I'd like to make a connection with him.

How do you go about it? Should I write a letter? Pop in with business cards? Since turning down the sales position, I don't think this company (it's a third party) is planning on giving me cards. Maybe I can make my own. Or do you make phone calls?

Do you think it's more effective to network as an independent trainer?

Thanks for any help.

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TAPenrod View Post
    I'm not an independent trainer, rather I work for a franchise gym in a rural town. I've been working there as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor for seniors. I recently finished by undergrad and I was planning on going to PT school but the debt is HUGE. I already owe 70k and by the time I finish the DPT, I'd be well over 100k. Anyways, I turned down their sales position (paid minimum wage and took away all of my hours from training and I didn't hit their quota, I would be dropped anyways) so they said I can just focus on training.

The first thing I'd like to do is start making connections to businesses and medical professionals. I've worked as a PT tech for 5 years now, so I'm in good with the PT department and I'm going to speak with them about post-rehab training. I know of a physician that recommends strength training to seniors so I'd like to make a connection with him.

How do you go about it? Should I write a letter? Pop in with business cards? Since turning down the sales position, I don't think this company (it's a third party) is planning on giving me cards. Maybe I can make my own. Or do you make phone calls?

Thanks for any help.
    Your asking an answer for actually a pretty tough scenario.

You work for a gym that does not give you their full support unless you take their salesman position and add $$$$ to their bottomline.

Honestly....it's a$$ backwards. They should be the ones doing all the marketing which allows you to just train. You shouldnt have to worry about making connections with "rich people".

You seem to come here and ask a lot of questions in regards to this ****ty chain gym. Perhaps its time to look elsewhere for work until you feel strong enough to do your own thing. That is a thing only you can decide. Until then....all your connection making will only line the pockets of this crap gym.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thanks for any help.
    Networking properly will help any PT business, even if you're stuck in a chain gym scenario. My first suggestion is to look into local networking groups (I used to be a member of BNI for example). A good resource is meetup.com and you can search for networking events in your area.

Targeting doctors likely isn't a good bet since they will probably direct any issues straight to a physio (because they don't know any better) within their hospital area. I'd suggest possibly contacting the physios and partnering with them for strength training after they do physio.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks for any help.
    Send them letters, but face to face meetings and phone calls are also good options. Doctors are looking for reliable trainers to refer clients to. You might want to put together some information that shows your areas of expertise and offer the doctor a free session so they know what they are recommending patients to. Very few trainers have the boldness to look for work this way, but it is a great way to think outside the gym. It will work better if you are independent though.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    "
    You seem to come here and ask a lot of questions in regards to this ****ty chain gym. Perhaps its time to look elsewhere for work until you feel strong enough to do your own thing. That is a thing only you can decide. Until then....all your connection making will only line the pockets of this crap gym.[/QUOTE]

RamsDen, You are absolutely right haha. I do want to move on but, I'll admit it, I'm afraid to. I have bills to pay and a family to support and I don't feel confident enough yet to branch out on my own or even at a new location. I am taking on small projects outside of the gym (baby steps) and I'm hoping to eventually to see my out. Maybe I just need to dive in and do it. Thanks for your advice, you have been very helpful.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah the best way is to hiring a very wonderful reputable marketing company

if the budget isnt their it can be more difficult
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll admit it, I'm afraid to. I have bills to pay and a family to support and I don't feel confident enough yet to branch out on my own or even at a new location. I am taking on small projects outside of the gym (baby steps) and I'm hoping to eventually to see my out. Maybe I just need to dive in and do it. Thanks for your advice, you have been very helpful.
    The same barrier that once stood in front of me....

Sometimes it is worth the risk....sometimes it is not. I do not have a family so I arrived at my decision sooner than most would have. Only you can decide when it is best. I wish you well(and I don't wish well on a lot of people in our industry) and hope you make it. You have the right attitude and mindset to change this industry. We will change things little by little my friend. Never lose hope.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    "
    You seem to come here and ask a lot of questions in regards to this ****ty chain gym. Perhaps its time to look elsewhere for work until you feel strong enough to do your own thing. That is a thing only you can decide. Until then....all your connection making will only line the pockets of this crap gym.
    RamsDen, You are absolutely right haha. I do want to move on but, I'll admit it, I'm afraid to. I have bills to pay and a family to support and I don't feel confident enough yet to branch out on my own or even at a new location. I am taking on small projects outside of the gym (baby steps) and I'm hoping to eventually to see my out. Maybe I just need to dive in and do it. Thanks for your advice, you have been very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry - you can make a very good living at a chain gym but the goal should always be to get out on your own as long as you have the right tools in place to be successful. While you are stuck where you are, develop a huge network of people (clients or not), develop a good reputation within whatever niche you choose and make sure that you are steadily converting your business into a referral based one, not simply going after people on the gym floor. There is tons of potential outside of a chain gym, but tons within one as well. If it's what you have, make the best of it.

I always advise new trainers to spend at least a year (and sometimes two) at a chain gym because it makes the transition to independent training so much easier and less stressful, plus you can learn skills steadily. I just brought in a trainer to my facility who worked at a totally crappy hardcore circuit training franchise for a year, but he's smart and learned and he's tripled his business in three months, busting his ass of course but that's what you need to do.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    just brought in a trainer to my facility who worked at a totally crappy hardcore circuit training franchise for a year, but he's smart and learned and he's tripled his business in three months, busting his ass of course but that's what you need to do.
    This is also a third option(and probably your best bet actually)that we have not discussed.

Find an independent small facility/gym owner and work for him. As long as he has integrity you will be put in a much better position and most of the time your sole responsibility will be to train and get results....not sell. You may have to sacrifice some income(maybe not in your case if you are making close to min wage at current chain) in the beginning. I hire for only about 6 hours or so per week in the beginning. But as business expands so do hours.

There is no such thing as a "for sure thing".

Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    This is also a third option(and probably your best bet actually)that we have not discussed.

Find an independent small facility/gym owner and work for him. As long as he has integrity you will be put in a much better position and most of the time your sole responsibility will be to train and get results....not sell. You may have to sacrifice some income(maybe not in your case if you are making close to min wage at current chain) in the beginning. I hire for only about 6 hours or so per week in the beginning. But as business expands so do hours.

There is no such thing as a "for sure thing".
    I don't hire people and provide them clients - I provide them space and equipment plus guidance (if they want it). They run their own business out of my space and just pay me rent so they keep everything they make. This guy is rare but shows everyone else that it can be done if you apply yourself properly. I've had numerous trainers come through here who really sucked at business (and wouldn't listen to advice from people who were successful) and eventually just gave up and left.

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it. For the time being, I think my best bet is to try and build a reputation and build a skill set from the commercial gym even though I'm at ideological odds with them. Yesterday I told another trainer that I'm running my own show. I don't care where my paycheck is coming from but I will train my clients as I see fit and I will be upfront with every client. I disagree with using contracts, the cookie cutter workouts, the scripts they want me to read, and I won't be a part of anything that I feel is unethical or ineffective.

I'm taking your guys's advice very seriously though and considering how much time and effort I want to put into projects that benefit the gym more than it benefits me. My brother worked for a place 30 minutes from my house called "The Trainer's Studio" and he made good money there, it's an independent and professional place, and he just paid rent. He eventually left training to join the corporate world but he lights up when he talks about training and that place in particular. So, maybe I'll work my way toward that location or I'll branch out on my own. I got a lot to consider.

Anyways, thanks again for responding to my question.
    Last edited by TAPenrod; 05-14-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Clarification on something I said