Thread: Deadlift belt?

BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Deadlift belt?

Incorporated Deadlift into my routine, as a beginner, do you think it's worth getting a belt? Or they're only for the most heavy lifts? Or maybe it's better to do without so you work your muscles more to get a better form before using one?....or...

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Belts are beneficial in that they can help you move heavier weight when you add them in via increasing intra-abdominal pressure, which in turn stabilized your spine/core more to allow for optimal force transfer through lower body and upper.

With that said, as a newb to DLs or squats, I would work on getting your form down first over a couple months of lifting. After your form is pretty solid and grooved in, adding in a belt for top sets (going beltless for warmups) can help you move more weight and facilitate more adaptation to training. It is not a must, many train heavy beltless, but I would never advocate *always* using a belt. Many times people will put on a belt under the assumption that its main purpose is to protect the back - that is mostly incorrect, if you are lifting wrong with a belt you can and will still fark your back up.

I personally mostly train belted for SQ/DL as it is a piece of equipment used in my sport, but I will also throw in heavy beltless (obv at lower weight, before form breakdown) workouts once in a while. However, even with my belted workouts, over time the weight at which I add a belt has increased as my lifts increased.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, once you get to a certain weight it is good for general safety IMO. I personally put mine on for DL when I get to my sets about about 1.5x bw, everything under doesn't require one at all since it's semi-easy wt anyways. (So if someone can lift 300lbs it would be pointless to use it at 135, for example, but if you're doing a set at 275 yeah put it on.)

Inzer Belt, those are awesome.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Yes, once you get to a certain weight it is good for general safety IMO. I personally put mine on for DL when I get to my sets about about 1.5x bw, everything under doesn't require one at all since it's semi-easy wt anyways. (So if someone can lift 300lbs it would be pointless to use it at 135, for example, but if you're doing a set at 275 yeah put it on.)

Inzer Belt, those are awesome.
    In for Inzer belt.

I wear mine at lower weight on squats (about 155-175 is when I slap it on). DLs not till about 225.

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    +1 for Inzer Forever.

Okay, serious question. Am I the only person who doesn't like deadlifting with a belt? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I love it for squats, love it for RDLs/SLDLs, and hell, I can even OHP more if I'm bracing against a belt, but it's just awkward for deadlifting. It's just like all up in my ribs or something. I pull conventional if that matters. What am I doing wrong...?
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    +1 for Inzer Forever.

Okay, serious question. Am I the only person who doesn't like deadlifting with a belt? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I love it for squats, love it for RDLs/SLDLs, and hell, I can even OHP more if I'm bracing against a belt, but it's just awkward for deadlifting. It's just like all up in my ribs or something. I pull conventional if that matters. What am I doing wrong...?
    Ha, I don't use it for RDLs/SLDLs but I do for back squat, front squat, heavy DLs, OHP.

I think it's just going to be uncomfortable, VO2. Mine sometimes digs so hard into my ribs it leaves marks. You're a short person so you likely have a short torso (compared to the belt). Do you have the belt that is the same width all the way around? I do, and it can get pinchy. It is what it is.

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TIL some people OHP with a belt, I've never tried that.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for info.

I looked up belts on amazon, well there's a bunch cheaper than the Inzer- not sure how much difference it makes when it's cheaper. One has a lot of good reviews tho, seems people use it for squat and DL. What do you think?

(Can't post the link, it wont let me. Anyway search UK amazon with Authentic RDX Weight Lifting 4" Leather Belt Back Support )

Oh and I got some hardcore callus growing now and they hurt, should I get gloves too or just let it happen coz it needs to?
    Last edited by BB26; 05-09-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: hands

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BubsNBean View Post
    Ha, I don't use it for RDLs/SLDLs but I do for back squat, front squat, heavy DLs, OHP.

I think it's just going to be uncomfortable, VO2. Mine sometimes digs so hard into my ribs it leaves marks. You're a short person so you likely have a short torso (compared to the belt). Do you have the belt that is the same width all the way around? I do, and it can get pinchy. It is what it is.
    Yeah, it's the same width all the way around...Inzer Forever 10mm. Great belt for everything else, I just don't like deadlifting with it. I should probably suck it up though haha.

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    TIL some people OHP with a belt, I've never tried that.
    Yeah, I tried it randomly one day and realized that I can brace against it the same way as with anything else and I can lift more weight that way. It also is a bit of a form check to make sure I'm not leaning back and moving the stress to my chest, but shhh, I'm pretty sure that falls into the "you're not supposed to use a belt that way" category.

Originally Posted by BB26 View Post
    Thanks for info.

I looked up belts on amazon, well there's a bunch cheaper than the Inzer- not sure how much difference it makes when it's cheaper. One has a lot of good reviews tho, seems people use it for squat and DL. What do you think?

(Can't post the link, it wont let me. Anyway search UK amazon with Authentic RDX Weight Lifting 4" Leather Belt Back Support )

Oh and I got some hardcore callus growing now and they hurt, should I get gloves too or just let it happen coz it needs to?
    Don't cheap out. Just hold off until you can justify dropping the coin, and then go either go Inzer Forever, Titan Longhorn, Best Belt, Bob's Belt, or Cardillo 410DL/GL (not one of the tapered ones). If you're considering getting into powerlifting, make sure it's IPF certified (so Inzer or Titan). I like my 10mm since it breaks in faster than 13mm and still is super stiff. I also prefer lever for convenience's sake, but prong is more easily adjustable size-wise. If you go prong, I'd recommend single-prong because double-prong is not easy to get in and out of, and if you're wearing it correctly you don't exactly want it tight and fastened the entire time between sets and stuff. NOT COMFORTABLE.

I wouldn't bother with gloves. Just deal with the calluses, eventually they'll get thick enough that they act as a glove.
    Last edited by VO2Maxima; 05-10-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html