Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question 2 days out from my first BB competition... Why did/do YOU compete?

I guess I could have waited until I was 1 day out or after the actual competition, but what the heck. It's a relatively slow day at work... I'm planning to take the day off tomorrow to go get polygraphed and will probably just spend the remainder of it relaxing/marinating in the $75+ spray tan I'm getting tonight...

So, before I go into a long diatribe about MY experience, thus far, I wanted to pose a question to all of the guys who have competed and ESPECIALLY for those who continue to compete on a regular basis: Why did you decide to compete in the first place, and if you still compete, WHY???

So, here is my aforementioned diatribe. I don't expect everyone to read all of this, but I hope it gives people who are considering a competition some insight...

I should begin by stating that I will soon be 36. IMHO, I'm getting in the game a little late. I know there are guys in their 40’s, 50's, 60's, and 70's who are still competing, but (like anything in life) it's easier if you start as young as humanly possible!

To be fair, I haven't experienced that "rush" from being on stage that everyone talks about, yet. The only thing I can associate with the experience, thus far, are the past 14 weeks of misery.

Prepping for a contest is incredibly tough on your personal life, which I had heard going into this. My wife has been as supportive as she can be with all of the commitments in her life, but I think this whole experience has weighed heavily on my marriage and other relationships (I even feel like my dogs hate me right now because I no longer share my food, I have very little time to play with them, and I quickly lose my patience when it's time to drag them out for a walk). I've also been cutting corners at work and coming in late (with the blessing of a VERY gracious and understanding boss).

Not to mention the fact that this has also been a huge financial commitment... Like any hobby, competing is NOT cheap... These are just a few of the things I've spent quite a bit of money on:

-gym membership
    -dietary guidance (and personal training, if you need it)
    -entry fees (and mandatory membership cards to enter)
    -hotels
    -rental cars/gas
    -posing suits
    -food (I don't care how creative/frugal you are, it is more expensive to eat on a contest prep diet)
    -tanning/tanning supplies
    -spray-tanning
    -professional photography (if you want it)
    -sports massage (this is kind of frivolous, but necessary, IMHO)
    -supplements (again, a little frivolous, but necessary)
    -competition supplies (dream tan, bikini bite, robe, fitness bands, music arranging (if needed))

I’ve been thinking about it for the past few days, and I honestly don’t think I would do it ever again. I think I approached it from the right perspective and have gone about it the right way. I sought the guidance of a seasoned professional to help me with the dietary aspect (since I’ve never tried strategically losing copious amounts of weight on my own). With flexible dieting and lots of cardio, I’ve managed to shed about 1.5 Lbs. per week for the past 14 weeks or so. I did it safely without the use of any extreme measures or dangerous supplements/drugs (it’s a natural competition). For the past 6-8 weeks, I’ve woken up every morning feeling like a ghost. I haven’t had that spring in my step for as long as I can remember. In fact, my legs and the rest of my body just feels incredibly weak and depleted. It is NOT a pleasant feeling, to say the least! I miss going to the gym and feeling strong- like I can really move some serious weight. I’ve actually been envious of guys at the gym because they have the ENERGY to do what I was doing 3 months ago.

The other thing that really concerns me is the possibility that I may have ruined my metabolism or developed an eating disorder. I’ve always had reasonably low bodyfat, and I was never displeased with my body image. Food was also never that big a deal for me, but now, it’s all I can think of. For the first time in my life, a few weeks ago, I actually binged. Instead of going to bed, I lied to my wife and went out one night for food. I ended up eating several slices of pizza, and 6 (!) donuts from Dunkin Donuts (I did all of this in about 10 minutes). Fortunately, the binge didn’t ruin my chances, and my depleted body bounced back quickly. In fact, it may have even helped in some weird way… I just hate the fact that all I can think about is food. I’m no longer interested in sex (because I’m starving). If my wife makes advances, I always end up talking about what I get to eat the next day (no joke). That’s just not healthy…

There are a few positive aspects about the dieting, though- it has made me realize that hunger is no laughing matter. Countless people around the world go hungry, and that’s no BS. The other day, I bit into a cherry tomato, and it was the most amazing thing I thought I’d ever tasted. When you’re starving, even the most mundane food tastes unbelievable. I have also figured out some really creative new, healthy recipes that I will continue to cook long after this competition (did somebody say banana pancakes and Quest protein bar cheesecake?!) Having said that, though, the first thing I will be purchasing after this competition is a deep fryer. I just want to eat myself silly for the rest of my life- diabetes be damned! I know I should do a "reverse diet" and my coach has been urging me to make that commitment, but I just don't think I will have that much discipline left in me.

I can’t imagine guys who actually do this on a regular basis. How do you do find the time to do it, if it isn’t your job? What is enjoyable about starving yourself half to death to look completely ripped on stage for a few minutes?! I don’t know if I will win my light weight “novice” class and walk away with a plastic trophy. My coach keeps optimistically pushing the possibility of a first-time-out pro-card. As grateful as I am for his support an unbridled enthusiasm, I just want it all to be done. I want to “cross that finish line” and know that I did what I set out to do… I imagine it’s kind of like running a marathon or preparing for the Iron Man triathlon. I’ve tried to explain to my wife that it’s like hiking the Appalachian trail (which is something she says she wants to do). It’s a HUGE commitment in so many ways, and you are pushing your body to such extremes that I can’t imagine it will ever seem rewarding enough (other than to be able to say that you actually did it).

So, that’s my honest and candid assessment of the whole situation, thus far. I’m sure I will check back in a few days and tell everyone how amazing the experience was. For the time being, though, all I want is another doughnut
    Last edited by Flipperman2a2w; 05-07-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors :(

oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10) oijibuur is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have never competed so wont comment on that, but I do want to wish you all the best with your competition! Truly admire your dedication sounds like an incredibly long hard road!

Thank you so much for providing your insight! Gives me an appreciation for how hard it is to achieve what you have
    "I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food, you unleash its
    awesome power, I'm told." - Homer Simpson

mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good luck man and hang in there. I am by no means ripped like you but I have been dieting for quite some time and I know the feeling of thinking about food all the time. I guess it comes down to wanting to be shredded more than wanting to eat that donut??
    Starting weight - 184 ~ Goal weight - 172

Jan 1-184|Jan 8-182.8|Jan 15-xxx|Jan 22-184|Jan 29-xxx|Total-xxx
    Feb 5-xxx|Feb 12-xxx|Feb 19-xxx|Feb 26-xxx|Total-xxx
    Mar 5-xxx|Mar 12-xxx|Mar 19-xxx|Mar 26-xxx|Total-xxx

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I could write a novel in response to your post, but I don't have that kind of time right now. I have competed and continue to compete. As a matter of fact, my next competition is in 9 weeks.

I can relate to everything you said. I even laughed a little when you mentioned food thoughts instead of sex....been there. I have binged as well--my gawd did I ever binge.

The good news is that the food thoughts will quickly fade after the show and everything gets back to equilibrium.

As far as why do I compete.....shiit, I have no idea, I just keep doing it. I'm cursed with the small legs and tall syndrome, so I'll never win any first place trophies. I think the major reason I still compete is that it keeps me focused on keeping in shape. I compete in Powerlifting and Strongman too, so I get good variety.

Good luck this weekend, and try to enjoy it....I have never enjoyed it personally.

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is really interesting, thanks for the insider info, really.
    I have been cutting for a few months now (I'm sure not even close to the level you have)...just out of curiosity, what are your cal. count/macros like? Must be pretty low to beat you up mentally and physically like that.
    And good luck! Hope you do well.
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flipperman2a2w is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by oijibuur View Post
    I have never competed so wont comment on that, but I do want to wish you all the best with your competition! Truly admire your dedication sounds like an incredibly long hard road!

Thank you so much for providing your insight! Gives me an appreciation for how hard it is to achieve what you have
    Thank you SO SO much, my friend! I wish i had more positive things to say about the experience right now, but I have to speak from my heart. I don't want to discourage others from doing this- if it is one of your life goals then you have to do it! Just be prepared for the battle of your life!

Originally Posted by mmobley View Post
    Good luck man and hang in there. I am by no means ripped like you but I have been dieting for quite some time and I know the feeling of thinking about food all the time. I guess it comes down to wanting to be shredded more than wanting to eat that donut??
    Thanks so much for the support! You hit the nail on the head- I know there are people out there who have no choice. They either diet down or die... I used to work with a guy who lost his foot to diabetes, and finally said, "Screw it- I don't have much time left, but I'm going to enjoy that time the only way I know how- eating." He died about a year later... It's sad that he got to that point, and my heart and prayers go out to anyone who is struggling with food (whether it be not enough or too much). I've read that the key is to find something else to focus your energy on, but we all know how it goes when those cravings and that natural instinct of extreme hunger sets in...

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good luck with you first contest. I did my first show when I was in my mid thirties, stopped competing for above 14 years, and returned to competing in my sixties. I have always been my own training and dieting coach. The research and experimenting sparks my enthusiasm for bodybuilding.

Practice your posing, and have fun.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    I could write a novel in response to your post, but I don't have that kind of time right now. I have competed and continue to compete. As a matter of fact, my next competition is in 9 weeks.

I can relate to everything you said. I even laughed a little when you mentioned food thoughts instead of sex....been there. I have binged as well--my gawd did I ever binge.

The good news is that the food thoughts will quickly fade after the show and everything gets back to equilibrium.

As far as why do I compete.....shiit, I have no idea, I just keep doing it. I'm cursed with the small legs and tall syndrome, so I'll never win any first place trophies. I think the major reason I still compete is that it keeps me focused on keeping in shape. I compete in Powerlifting and Strongman too, so I get good variety.

Good luck this weekend, and try to enjoy it....I have never enjoyed it personally.
    Thanks so much for your response- it truly makes me feel better to hear that I was wondering of something is wrong with me. I have the utmost respect for the fact that you can keep doing it. Maybe that stage adrenaline will kick in, stay with me for the long-term, and make me want to do it again someday! I have my first comp this weekend, and (being a glutton for punishment) I decided to do another the following weekend (only because they were so close together, and I've already come this far). It's also good to know that the food gets back to normal in a short while. I guess it's like that binge I mentioned- it felt like heaven on earth, but I eventually got to the point where something in my head click and I was no longer getting any enjoyment from the food i was eating. It's like my taste buds just shut down on me, and my stomach closed up shop.

Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post
    This is really interesting, thanks for the insider info, really.
    I have been cutting for a few months now (I'm sure not even close to the level you have)...just out of curiosity, what are your cal. count/macros like? Must be pretty low to beat you up mentally and physically like that.
    And good luck! Hope you do well.
    Thank you, sir. Believe it or not, my coach has actually had me on what would be pretty ridiculous calories/macros for most people who aren't trying to lose weight. I guess it all depends on the individual, though, and how their metabolism reacts. You also have to factor in the amount of physical activity and the fact that I started doing 3-4 days of cardio per week (in addition to the workouts). My calories have been in the 2500-2700 range (with a weekly bump) and the macros have been 300-350g carbs, 185-200g protein, and 60-65g of fat. He fluctuated those numbers somewhat from week to week, but it has worked for me.

Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Good luck with you first contest. I did my first show when I was in my mid thirties, stopped competing for above 14 years, and returned to competing in my sixties. I have always been my own training and dieting coach. The research and experimenting sparks my enthusiasm for bodybuilding.

Practice your posing, and have fun.
    Thanks so much! I can definitely identify with your enthusiasm for research and experimenting. I told myself going into this that it was an experiment. I didn't know if I would make it, but I resolved to try my hardest. I felt fairly knowledgeable about lifting/weight training, but I had never tried to lose any weight, and I wanted to see how my body would react. I remember telling my wife, "I don't even know if I CAN lose weight- I've never tried!"

Much respect for you and all the other guys competing in the "Over 40 Group." It's more entertaining to me to watch the older gentleman compete and see that it IS possible to maintain muscle mass and be ripped for life!

Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000) Igor95 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Strong did not read lol

MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I read every word. Very insightful and I'm sure many here will appreciate you sharing your experience. Good luck!

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've only done an online contest and it was a bear. I learned that I hate keto, not because it doesn't work, but because it makes me insane. I learned that losing weight is relatively easy for me compared to gaining. And, the hardest part was the last week and fussing with water manipulation. I was new to lifting back then, so I had less mass than the little I have now, so it didn't look very good, but it was worth it. I went from 194 to 167 in 5 months.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've never competed - so I can't help you at all - but I dream of it some day if I can ever manage to get any kind of decent size. Definitely on my bucket list.

Your 14 weeks of misery ends Saturday - go out there and have blast! Enjoy the experience and remember to smile!

edit: I went for months on my cut, a steady pound per week for 30 pounds and never felt the way you do. It's hard to imagine an extra half pound a week would make that much difference. I was rarely hungry and still had to force myself to eat at times. I actually liked it because eating wasn't such a chore. Life of the hard-gainer :/
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Flipperman, when I lifted my first barbell at 32 years old, at 5'5", I weighed 112. All I hoped to achieve on that day was to gain enough weight to fill up a small T-shirt. Six months later, I weighed 172, and the mirror was beginning to talk to me. Following gym advice, for two weeks I dieted strictly, dropped to 152, competed in and won my first competition.

Man, what a rush! By "rush", I mean, standing on the stage, in my extreme nervousness, I couldn't wait to get off. Although I had practiced and practiced and practiced it more during contest prep, I rushed through my 60-second posing routine in about 25 seconds. But the moment I stepped behind the curtain, I wanted to get back out there in front of the crowd. Being awarded the 1st place (novice class) trophy repaid me for all the hours in the gym, all the hunger, all the money spent on supplements and protein powder.

That two weeks of dieting was torture. Although I had never had a sweet tooth, suddenly when I walked through a grocery, candy and cakes seemed to chase me through the store. A can of tuna packed in water or one skinless chicken breast, baked, and either one apple or one baked potato was my total food intake six days per week for the two weeks. But, man, post competition, 25 or so of my fellow competitors, both losers and winners all piled into the nearest open restaurant, and ate. The winner of the teen female class ate two large strawberry pies all by herself while her proud grandparents watched-- then she had her meal. When you diet so strictly, flavors are enhanced: when you are allowed to eat, everything tastes so damn good!

During subsequent competition preps, I learned that the best diet is no diet, to diet so slowly that your mind isn't aware that your body is being deprived-- to cycle 3-4 dieting days with 1 day of normal meals. Easier on me; I lost more fat while holding on to muscle. But I lost something important to me. The post competition meal with my buddies became less enjoyable. Sigh-- everything is a balancing act, yes?

The memory of that first competition victory kept me in the game for the next eight years. In my second competition, I placed eight in a class of nine; fourth in my next two; then second in a class that during a seminar he gave, guest poser Mr Universe Lance Dreher told the judges in front of an auditorium full of competitors and their families said I should have won. The next two years I placed in the top five consistently. Then suddenly, unexpectedly, I began placing 1st or 2nd, and in regional competitions! My most prestigious victory was in the 1984 Southeastern Mr America. My last competition was in the 1985 Ibero-America/ South American Bodybuilding Championships held in Buenos Aires. I placed 2nd in the Over 40, but am convinced that I deserved 1st. I competed for eight years before having to earn a living for a wife and three kids got in the way.

Today, I am a 67 year old highly skilled neuromuscular therapist aka trigger point therapist: I specialize in taking out pain and restoring ROM, in bodybuilders, pro wrestlers, professional dancers and obese moms and dads. The damage done to my body during my serious bodybuilding years is just now beginning to manifest itself. Arthritic hands, an aching knee, chronically sore and extremely tight shoulders are the less tangible awards I earned in the gym and on the competition stage. I have trouble falling asleep at night, but nod off into 15 minutes naps several times a day. My digestion is horrible. In one six-month period during which I couldn't get to a gym, I lost 22 pounds of muscle. In my top condition in 1985, I weighed 174 with 3.5% bodyfat; today, I am a soft 146. I haven't entered a gym in 17 months, because I now live in the boonies, the closest gym too far for a daily drive, and I can't make myself go at it with anything less than my very best effort-- for me, it's all the way working toward top form, or not at all. Serious weight training cost me a lot, my brothers. I am very very good at relieving pain in others, but can't do a helluva lot to treat my own myofascial dysfunctions.

Now ask me whether I would do it all again. Hell, yes, without question! I miss it. Hell, I even miss the smells of a gym packed with serious bodybuilders and powerlifters.

So, my advice to you, bucko, go for it! Give it all you have to give. Enjoy every moment you spend in the gym, every look cast your way as you walk proudly through grocery stores and into restaurants. Win or lose, bro, if you train as if your life depends on completing that one workout and the next and the next, someday in the very near future when the ravages of time force you to hang up your posing trunks, you will not regret.

Originally Posted by Flipperman2a2w View Post
    I guess I could have waited until I was 1 day out or after the actual competition, but what the heck. It's a relatively slow day at work... I'm planning to take the day off tomorrow to go get polygraphed and will probably just spend the remainder of it relaxing/marinating in the $75+ spray tan I'm getting tonight...

So, before I go into a long diatribe about MY experience, thus far, I wanted to pose a question to all of the guys who have competed and ESPECIALLY for those who continue to compete on a regular basis: Why did you decide to compete in the first place, and if you still compete, WHY???

So, here is my aforementioned diatribe. I don't expect everyone to read all of this, but I hope it gives people who are considering a competition some insight...

I should begin by stating that I will soon be 36. IMHO, I'm getting in the game a little late. I know there are guys in their 40’s, 50's, 60's, and 70's who are still competing, but (like anything in life) it's easier if you start as young as humanly possible!

To be fair, I haven't experienced that "rush" from being on stage that everyone talks about, yet. The only thing I can associate with the experience, thus far, are the past 14 weeks of misery.

Prepping for a contest is incredibly tough on your personal life, which I had heard going into this. My wife has been as supportive as she can be with all of the commitments in her life, but I think this whole experience has weighed heavily on my marriage and other relationships (I even feel like my dogs hate me right now because I no longer share my food, I have very little time to play with them, and I quickly lose my patience when it's time to drag them out for a walk). I've also been cutting corners at work and coming in late (with the blessing of a VERY gracious and understanding boss).

Not to mention the fact that this has also been a huge financial commitment... Like any hobby, competing is NOT cheap... These are just a few of the things I've spent quite a bit of money on:

-gym membership
    -dietary guidance (and personal training, if you need it)
    -entry fees (and mandatory membership cards to enter)
    -hotels
    -rental cars/gas
    -posing suits
    -food (I don't care how creative/frugal you are, it is more expensive to eat on a contest prep diet)
    -tanning/tanning supplies
    -spray-tanning
    -professional photography (if you want it)
    -sports massage (this is kind of frivolous, but necessary, IMHO)
    -supplements (again, a little frivolous, but necessary)
    -competition supplies (dream tan, bikini bite, robe, fitness bands, music arranging (if needed))

I’ve been thinking about it for the past few days, and I honestly don’t think I would do it ever again. I think I approached it from the right perspective and have gone about it the right way. I sought the guidance of a seasoned professional to help me with the dietary aspect (since I’ve never tried strategically losing copious amounts of weight on my own). With flexible dieting and lots of cardio, I’ve managed to shed about 1.5 Lbs. per week for the past 14 weeks or so. I did it safely without the use of any extreme measures or dangerous supplements/drugs (it’s a natural competition). For the past 6-8 weeks, I’ve woken up every morning feeling like a ghost. I haven’t had that spring in my step for as long as I can remember. In fact, my legs and the rest of my body just feels incredibly weak and depleted. It is NOT a pleasant feeling, to say the least! I miss going to the gym and feeling strong- like I can really move some serious weight. I’ve actually been envious of guys at the gym because they have the ENERGY to do what I was doing 3 months ago.

The other thing that really concerns me is the possibility that I may have ruined my metabolism or developed an eating disorder. I’ve always had reasonably low bodyfat, and I was never displeased with my body image. Food was also never that big a deal for me, but now, it’s all I can think of. For the first time in my life, a few weeks ago, I actually binged. Instead of going to bed, I lied to my wife and went out one night for food. I ended up eating several slices of pizza, and 6 (!) donuts from Dunkin Donuts (I did all of this in about 10 minutes). Fortunately, the binge didn’t ruin my chances, and my depleted body bounced back quickly. In fact, it may have even helped in some weird way… I just hate the fact that all I can think about is food. I’m no longer interested in sex (because I’m starving). If my wife makes advances, I always end up talking about what I get to eat the next day (no joke). That’s just not healthy…

There are a few positive aspects about the dieting, though- it has made me realize that hunger is no laughing matter. Countless people around the world go hungry, and that’s no BS. The other day, I bit into a cherry tomato, and it was the most amazing thing I thought I’d ever tasted. When you’re starving, even the most mundane food tastes unbelievable. I have also figured out some really creative new, healthy recipes that I will continue to cook long after this competition (did somebody say banana pancakes and Quest protein bar cheesecake?!) Having said that, though, the first thing I will be purchasing after this competition is a deep fryer. I just want to eat myself silly for the rest of my life- diabetes be damned! I know I should do a "reverse diet" and my coach has been urging me to make that commitment, but I just don't think I will have that much discipline left in me.

I can’t imagine guys who actually do this on a regular basis. How do you do find the time to do it, if it isn’t your job? What is enjoyable about starving yourself half to death to look completely ripped on stage for a few minutes?! I don’t know if I will win my light weight “novice” class and walk away with a plastic trophy. My coach keeps optimistically pushing the possibility of a first-time-out pro-card. As grateful as I am for his support an unbridled enthusiasm, I just want it all to be done. I want to “cross that finish line” and know that I did what I set out to do… I imagine it’s kind of like running a marathon or preparing for the Iron Man triathlon. I’ve tried to explain to my wife that it’s like hiking the Appalachian trail (which is something she says she wants to do). It’s a HUGE commitment in so many ways, and you are pushing your body to such extremes that I can’t imagine it will ever seem rewarding enough (other than to be able to say that you actually did it).

So, that’s my honest and candid assessment of the whole situation, thus far. I’m sure I will check back in a few days and tell everyone how amazing the experience was. For the time being, though, all I want is another doughnut
    Licensed Massage Therapist certified in NMT.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GringoAddis View Post
    Flipperman, when I lifted my first barbell at 32 years old, at 5'5", I weighed 112. All I hoped to achieve on that day was to gain enough weight to fill up a small T-shirt. Six months later, I weighed 172, and the mirror was beginning to talk to me. Following gym advice, for two weeks I dieted strictly, dropped to 152, competed in and won my first competition.

Man, what a rush! By "rush", I mean, standing on the stage, in my extreme nervousness, I couldn't wait to get off. Although I had practiced and practiced and practiced it more during contest prep, I rushed through my 60-second posing routine in about 25 seconds. But the moment I stepped behind the curtain, I wanted to get back out there in front of the crowd. Being awarded the 1st place (novice class) trophy repaid me for all the hours in the gym, all the hunger, all the money spent on supplements and protein powder.

That two weeks of dieting was torture. Although I had never had a sweet tooth, suddenly when I walked through a grocery, candy and cakes seemed to chase me through the store. A can of tuna packed in water or one skinless chicken breast, baked, and either one apple or one baked potato was my total food intake six days per week for the two weeks. But, man, post competition, 25 or so of my fellow competitors, both losers and winners all piled into the nearest open restaurant, and ate. The winner of the teen female class ate two large strawberry pies all by herself while her proud grandparents watched-- then she had her meal. When you diet so strictly, flavors are enhanced: when you are allowed to eat, everything tastes so damn good!

During subsequent competition preps, I learned that the best diet is no diet, to diet so slowly that your mind isn't aware that your body is being deprived-- to cycle 3-4 dieting days with 1 day of normal meals. Easier on me; I lost more fat while holding on to muscle. But I lost something important to me. The post competition meal with my buddies became less enjoyable. Sigh-- everything is a balancing act, yes?

The memory of that first competition victory kept me in the game for the next eight years. In my second competition, I placed eight in a class of nine; fourth in my next two; then second in a class that during a seminar he gave, guest poser Mr Universe Lance Dreher told the judges in front of an auditorium full of competitors and their families said I should have won. The next two years I placed in the top five consistently. Then suddenly, unexpectedly, I began placing 1st or 2nd, and in regional competitions! My most prestigious victory was in the 1984 Southeastern Mr America. My last competition was in the 1985 Ibero-America/ South American Bodybuilding Championships held in Buenos Aires. I placed 2nd in the Over 40, but am convinced that I deserved 1st. I competed for eight years before having to earn a living for a wife and three kids got in the way.

Today, I am a 67 year old highly skilled neuromuscular therapist aka trigger point therapist: I specialize in taking out pain and restoring ROM, in bodybuilders, pro wrestlers, professional dancers and obese moms and dads. The damage done to my body during my serious bodybuilding years is just now beginning to manifest itself. Arthritic hands, an aching knee, chronically sore and extremely tight shoulders are the less tangible awards I earned in the gym and on the competition stage. I have trouble falling asleep at night, but nod off into 15 minutes naps several times a day. My digestion is horrible. In one six-month period during which I couldn't get to a gym, I lost 22 pounds of muscle. In my top condition in 1985, I weighed 174 with 3.5% bodyfat; today, I am a soft 146. I haven't entered a gym in 17 months, because I now live in the boonies, the closest gym too far for a daily drive, and I can't make myself go at it with anything less than my very best effort-- for me, it's all the way working toward top form, or not at all. Serious weight training cost me a lot, my brothers. I am very very good at relieving pain in others, but can't do a helluva lot to treat my own myofascial dysfunctions.

Now ask me whether I would do it all again. Hell, yes, without question! I miss it. Hell, I even miss the smells of a gym packed with serious bodybuilders and powerlifters.

So, my advice to you, bucko, go for it! Give it all you have to give. Enjoy every moment you spend in the gym, every look cast your way as you walk proudly through grocery stores and into restaurants. Win or lose, bro, if you train as if your life depends on completing that one workout and the next and the next, someday in the very near future when the ravages of time force you to hang up your posing trunks, you will not regret.

Great post! Welcome to the forums.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with karl, great post Gringo.

Go get 'em flipperman.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Ditto this. Repped him for being legit cool.

mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very insightful thread! Go get em man!
    Starting weight - 184 ~ Goal weight - 172

Jan 1-184|Jan 8-182.8|Jan 15-xxx|Jan 22-184|Jan 29-xxx|Total-xxx
    Feb 5-xxx|Feb 12-xxx|Feb 19-xxx|Feb 26-xxx|Total-xxx
    Mar 5-xxx|Mar 12-xxx|Mar 19-xxx|Mar 26-xxx|Total-xxx

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Ditto this. Repped him for being legit cool.
    Ditto Ditto. Very cool post.
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50) GringoAddis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the hardy welcome, everyone. I'll help however I can with forum consultations about pains earned in the gym; ask, if I don't know the fix, I'll try to find it.

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Licensed Massage Therapist certified in NMT.

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol....could relate to most of what you wrote Flipperman. Thinking back, I don't think there is a more selfish endeavor I could have undertaken, but part of that was I was coming down from a Grimace-like 280 to a show day weight of 214 16 weeks later (and before any of you non-competitors chime in about that much "fat loss" isn't possible...you'd be amazed at the water weight you can drop in the last couple days). Hell, I remember rarely taking my kids out to eat during those preps (we used to go out all the time) and even making them take the pizza we ordered them down into the cellar to eat it so I didn't have to smell or see it. Cardio got up around 12-14 hrs a week the last few weeks, so needless to say, between gym , cardio, eating 6 times a day and preparing my meals and posing practice a couple times of week, had little time for anything outside of work. And yeah, that last month sex drive tanked despite the fact wife was dieting with me for figure and looked unreal. Go figure. lol

However, you asked why? Well, I was one of the guys who took the "get as big as fast as you can approach"....ate anything and everything, got strong as hell in the process and much bigger.....everywhere. lol However, still not sure I wouldn't use this approach again. Anyhow...hadn't been "in-shape" in a long time and knew the only way to do it was to put up or shut up and compete like my wife had done the year before. Glad I did it....learned a lot along the way about nutrition, dieting, fat loss, pushing yourself beyond where 99.99% of the population can go and not to dismiss "bro-science" all the time. I competed again two more times over the next two years and haven't again since. Not sure if I ever will...don't have the genetics to be really competitive at the top local shows. However, it was super sense of accomplishment afterwards...and man did those piles of Chinese food taste good on the way home!!! I think there was about 15 of us....and the looks we were getting...as you know how retarded you look out in public with 3 coats of spray tan!!!! lol

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do Figure so I don't need to diet down to striated glutes so much respect to the boys.

OP I thought of competing simply to see if I could do it. I decided to do it instead of just thinking about because within 6 months, my 34 year old friend, a month after having her first child, almost died of a stroke and was permanently disabled, then I dislocated my knee, and the week after I took off the leg brace, my husband broke his ankle in a motorcycle accident. Lesson learned: stop thinking about doing stuff and do it, because you never know.

The 1st prep was very hard. Part was my personal situation: 2 hours commute, working anywhere from 8 to 12 hours, and 1 hour at the gym. Fit a comp prep in that and see if you can still keep your sanity LOL. I had heard the horror stories on starving, being hungry as phukk, then cheating on your diet and binging, develop eating disorders, screw up your metabolism for life, etc so that's what I expected and if you know what a "self fulfilling prophecy" is, you know that's pretty much what I got. My husband tried to keep positive, but by comp day he was so over the whole thing. So I decided I probably wouldn't compete again.

Then I guess what happened is similar to having kids: while in labor you swear you'll never have another kid, then as time passes you forget how bad it was and next thing you know you are pregnant again Why did I compete again? Because, shallow as it's going to sound, I loved how I looked during my comp prep. Females can probably relate more to this, we are so critical of ourselves and compare ourselves to impossible standards with the result we are never happy with our looks. Well for the first time in 40 years I loved how I looked. But to look like that I had to diet like crazy and the only motivation that would make me stick to that kind of diet was a competition.

My situation had improved: we moved closer to my work, and work hours weren't as crazy, but most of all I knew what to expect, how to organize myself better, and I made it a point not to burden my husband with it. And you know what, this prep was 10 times easier than the first one, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I was really miserable, and best of all, my husband went from dreading the whole thing to getting even more excited than me about my competition. I barely got home from the comp that he was already talking about my next competition and getting all excited about it.

So how hard it is depends on many factors, most of them are mental/psychological. OP doesn't sound like he does this to feed his family therefore he should do it for fun. If it's not fun then do something else. But just know it CAN be fun.

Sorry for being long winded.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I started competing in female bb as a hobby and it continues to be a hobby. I stepped on my first stage at 32 and stayed with it. I can't relate to what you're feeling because I've never been that miserable during any of my preps.

I have a long competition history and I've always enjoyed the process.

Wishing you all the best.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GringoAddis View Post
    Wow, that's so amazing! You are certainly blessed genetically. You did more in 6 months than I'll manage in all my life
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Flipperman2a2w View Post
    I will check back in a few days and tell everyone how amazing the experience was.
    So? How did it go? pics?

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    So? How did it go? pics?
    I seriously don't have words... When I registered for my first competition, I honestly just wanted to make it across the finish line. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would win 1st Place in 4 categories and walk away with the Pro-Card...

I'm still in shock from the whole experience. When I got to the venue, I realized I could actually crossover from the Novice to the Open class (for an additional $20). I figured I might as well, since I've spent all this time dieting...

Everything just went SO fast... Once we got backstage and started pumping up, I felt like they were calling my number! I literally had rice cake, peanut butter, and jelly in my mouth, while I was doing push-ups Prior to that, my coach wanted me to eat a couple slices of pizza to fill out. He thought I had a lot more time than I actually did, so my food plan for the day was kind of out-of-whack.

The prejudging was fairly stressful and exhausting. I only had a matter of minutes between posing with my Novice group and the Open... People don't realize how exhausting it is to pose for as long as I did (and when you aren't posing, you're backstage trying to stay pumped...)

I thought the prejudging was exhausting, but it was nothing compared to the night show... Since I was winning, they kept calling me back out to pose with the overall groups... And when you win, you stay onstage and pose for pictures. It was just absolutely insane... Whenever they were getting ready to announce 2nd Place for a group I was in, I found myself glancing at the floor of the stage to figure out where I was supposed to go stand. Someone else's number was always called out, though...

Finally, I was called out to compete for the Overall... I can't tell you how intimidating it was stepping onstage with the heavier weight classes (I was the light-weight). I mean, I was going toe to toe with some BIG guys... By that point, though, I was feeling more comfortable with the posing, and I felt like I could have more fun. I never thought I could do a pose-down, but my instincts just kicked in, and I felt like I was able to hold my own. When the host announced the winner, she said, "Well, this should come as no surprise..." Man, I was in total shock...

I was obviously thrilled with the way things turned out, but the best part of competing was interacting with my fellow competitors (everyone was so nice!!!) and seeing the reactions of my friends and family in the audience.

Everyone keeps asking me if I would do it again, and I honestly don't know the answer to that question... I had already committed to doing the OCB New Jersey Natural Open this weekend, but I'm only doing that because the two competitions were so close together. The OCB show is MUCH bigger, so I'm not sure how I'll do in that one. This past weekend would certainly be tough to beat. Would I compete again in the more distant future? Maybe...

I just want to let my body get back to a place that feels normal to me. Yesterday, my wife affectionately said to me, "You're coming back to me- we're about 50% of the way there." She was talking about my personality... I just feel like I've been in such a weird/dark place for the past 2-3 months with this whole diet thing. I did the math yesterday, and I lost 35 pounds for this competition (over 1/5 of my body weight). I wasn't fat to begin with, either. I thought I was a very healthy weight when I started, to be honest (see some of my older profile photos). I guess I just need to get back to a place where food isn't constantly on my mind and hunger isn't dictating my mood. I'm just so tired of thinking about what I'm going to eat...

I'm so glad that I had the experience, though. I honestly just wanted to see if I could do it, and winning that Pro-Card was a dream-come-true that validated all of my hard work and effort. I also feel like I learned a great deal about nutrition and my body, which is hard to put a price on.

Sorry- the photos need to be rotated...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Flipperman2a2w; 05-11-2015 at 01:57 PM.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice job. Congrats.

Great job! Conditioning looked superb and great mass you kept.

On spread.

For what it's worth, dieting is like quitting smoking. When you master the panic of not being allowed to have something, you can start psyching yourself into enjoying it. I bet the next cut will be far easier since you know what to expect.