Mrmojoerisin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calories towards Muscle or fat?

Hi I have been eating below my bmr for months and have had success in dropping fat (Nearly 40 pounds) and I am curious what exactly controls how one manages to gain muscle without gaining fat?

Simply put, I am aiming to eat between 1600 and 2000 calories a day, yet if I go above my bmr (estimated to be 2100) what determines whether these calories are stored as fat of build more muscle? I do moderate strength training three times a week and have noticed subtle gains and improved definition but for when I go over I do not want calories to be stored as fat again. What can be done to avoid fat storage?

nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrmojoerisin View Post
    Hi I have been eating below my bmr for months and have had success in dropping fat (Nearly 40 pounds) and I am curious what exactly controls how one manages to gain muscle without gaining fat?

Simply put, I am aiming to eat between 1600 and 2000 calories a day, yet if I go above my bmr (estimated to be 2100) what determines whether these calories are stored as fat of build more muscle? I do moderate strength training three times a week and have noticed subtle gains and improved definition but for when I go over I do not want calories to be stored as fat again. What can be done to avoid fat storage?
    Are you confusing bmr with tdee?

Excess calories will be used to build muscle, and some to be stored as fat. This is unavoidable.

Your muscle building process will be very very slow at 1600.

PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't exclusively build muscle without gaining fat. Best thing to do is to eat in a modest calorie surplus, lift heavy & get lots of rest. If you try gaining lbm without gaining any fat, you'll just spin your wheels

mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mazbdkgo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PhiSig2298 View Post
    You can't exclusively build muscle without gaining fat. Best thing to do is to eat in a modest calorie surplus, lift heavy & get lots of rest. If you try gaining lbm without gaining any fat, you'll just spin your wheels
    actually there are studies showing you CAN gain lbm and decrease/maintain fat level
    However the surplus of calories would be so small and so hard to track that would be impossible to do in a real life situation as nobody knows exactly how many calories they burn on the daily. So it is recommended to eat 200-500 calories above your estimated maintainence to ensure you are in a position to gain mass

Chasing self-improvement. ShyGuyXS's Avatar
    ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nakkiz View Post
    Excess calories will be used to build muscle, and some to be stored as fat. This is unavoidable.
    ^ This *assuming you're in a surplus. If you aim for a lean bulk of around 2-3 pounds per month, fat gains will be reasonably small.

OP, you seem to be confusing BMR with TDEE in your post. Eating below TDEE will cause weight/fat loss. A long period of eating below BMR, however, could have undesirable effects. 1600 calories is way too low for you and your given stats.
    It's about progress, not perfection.

I'm not an expert when it comes to most aspects of life; sometimes, I have no idea what I'm doing. The more I learn, the more I can do, and the more I can pay it forward and help others.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're lucky and train well you could be gaining muscle and dropping body fat on a bulk. It happens.

The best way to minimise fat storage while eating a surplus:
    - eating a small surplus that only leads to ~2 pounds per month weight gained.
    - follow a proven program of resistance training. If you're a beginner ideally this should be 3x times a week full body.
    - eating slightly more on your workout days than on your rest days may help
    - eating high protein (1 gram per lb or higher, up to 1.5 gram per lb) may further help keeping fat gains down.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/