Registered User aaronmastriani3's Avatar
    aaronmastriani3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

*bodybuilding subculture*

Whats up guys, my names Aaron and I'm a business major at Widener University in Chester PA. I'm required to write a research paper about a subculture and I chose to write about the bodybuilding subculture which a lot of you are members of but may but really know it. A subculture is defined as a group that has values and norms that are distinct from those held by the majority. The members of the bodybuilding subculture is not exclusive to just professional bodybuilders, but it also includes avid lifters and exercise enthusiasts like yourselves. This is why you are members on the "bodybuilding" forum.

To get more research I wanted to ask members of the bodybuilding subculture, you guys, a few questions about yourselves.

• How would you describe your gym’s environment?
    • Do you ever feel like you are competing with others?
    • Are you likely to engage in conversation with others that fit in your subculture?
    • Do you feel there is an exclusive bodybuilding “club” in your gym?
    • Do you feel there is an intimidation factor in your gym?
    • Do you feel there is a sense of an alpha male in your gym?
    • Have you ever used performance enhancing drugs?
    • Do you feel the benefits out weigh the risks?
    • How do you view others on PEDs?
    • Did you ever have body image issues?
    • Does bodybuilding improve your self-esteem?
    • How do you keep yourself motivated?
    • What would your life be like in you stopped bodybuilding all together?
    • How much money do you spend weekly on supplements?
    • How would you describe your daily routine?
    • What are the pros to the bodybuilding lifestyle?
    • What are the cons to the bodybuilding lifestyle?

Answer as many questions as you'd like. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alcastive will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Small crowded gym, in summer it becomes heaven 10% only from the over crowded ppl register

No, i don't care about others in the gym it's all about me.

• Are you likely to engage in conversation with others that fit in your subculture?
    Yes, it gives me motivation and ideas, but talk only after workout.

No

No intimidation, just some little show off

Yes sure, i'm on of them, if you like a beta stay at home.

Only legal supplements

What risks ? Improving your lifestyle ? yes it is worthy.

Normal, i don't care what they take if they have a better body.

Nop.

It makes you alpha in every way, not just self-esteem it changes everything for better, it gives you the sense of adventure it keeps you hungry for more.

I motivate my friends on social media, and i plan my day and manage my workout via app, food tracking also and activity burned with fitbit sport wristband.

Boring normal life with no challenges.

I just buy protein and pre workouts, 150$ every month not need more.

Very aggressive, i have 10hrs deskjob work and after i have 4 to 5 hrs training (cardio, bodybuilding, sauna, swimming) so my body goes from lightly active to super hyper

Achieving a better connection with yourself, being able to say No and not be afraid when needed, self confidence and trust comes too. lifting weights and making good bodies takes time so it teach you to be patience.

You get critics whenever you go, you get challenges ppl what to hit you in the face for being yourself they see you as a threat and a challenge, they try to bring you down coz you've got way too high above them and they can't stand the idea of you being better and them being average.

Answer as many questions as you'd like. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Here you go i answered them all.
    ***Bad Blood.. Runs Deep***

Lebanese Official Thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143251853

Amateur MMA Fighters Join Us
    http://www.********.com/yjmma

HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50) HasGoals will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say I fall in the avid lifter category. Don't have any interest in competition bodybuilding.

Clean, friendly, and serious. Very little talking except greetings between regulars.

I'm really only competing against my old self. But I certainly know who is ahead of me and who is behind me. The guys ahead of me give me motivation, and the guys behind me I want to inspire. But no I don't care if some guy is bigger than me he earned it, I just want to earn it too!

Only if I know them already. I'm not going to randomly talk to a swole guy I see at a restaurant. If I know a friend lifts, we'll talk about it.

Not really, the few guys that are serious about it are just there to work out. Most are friendly to "outsiders", I try to be anyways.

Not from anyone serious. Occasionally some teenager will come in thinking he's hot stuff but they don't seem to last.

Everyone can pick out the guy lifting the most. So in that respect there's a couple guys that are clearly ahead of the pack. I respect them. Soon I will join them.

Depends on what counts as a PED. I'm not interested in any anabolic steroids but I take a couple supplements to help get my daily macro nutrients.

Don't really have a strong opinion on this. I know the science is out there to argue both sides.

Their choice. I have no hard feelings about some guy who wants to get pumped up.

Not really. The way I see it I have goals and I have gains. I focus on those and not the negative.

Definitely! I feel much more confident since I've packed on some muscle. It makes you feel powerful and competent.

Thinking about all the benefits of lifting and remembering the feeling of being slim and weak.
    Being called skinny, slim, and thin are compliments to most gals and embarrassing to most guys.

Sounds pretty rough. The only circumstance I can think of that would make me stop altogether would have to be a major disability or illness. So that sounds pretty awful because I'd be immobile.

I'd guess it's around $20 a week.

Get up, and get to the gym first thing. The rest of the day is pretty normal physical activity. (Desk job, yard work, etc...)

Confidence, strength, energy, respect, and health are just a few main pros that I can think of.

It's a time sink and costs money. Occasionally wanting to get my legs amputated after leg day.

Good luck on your project!

Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I bodybuild because I want to look good,I do it for myself,that's not ego,I believe if you do it "for someone else" you fail.My gym is a medium sized gym,all types.I am an ATTENDANT/TRAINER ,love to help people,it's like caregiving ,in a way.One moment I might be spotting a bodybuilder on the bench as he goes for a pump,next moment encouraging a newbee.The only attitude I've seen is the rare juicehead come in with delusions of grandeur,heard it happens with roids.The Pros: a hot looking body,need I say more? The Cons: People constantly "hitting on me",if that's a con,people are shallow and if you take care of yourself and look good,that's gonna happen.Ispend about $20 a week on supps,Whey protein,etc..My job and my passion are in the same place.I workout before I work at the gym.There's not really a clique,but one sometimes have more in common with someone whose passion is the same as yours. Hope this helps!