IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Critique my early intermediate strength program

My stats:
    Bodyweight: 78 kg/173 lbs
    Height: 5'10''
    Squat/Bench/Deadlift/Overhead press in kg: 135/97.5/165, in lbs: 298/214/364

I have done westside and my own program this last year, westside felt too advanced/complex for me to really benefit from it at this stage in my training career.
    I have experimented with my own program for the last 8-9 months or so.

This program increased my squat by 15 kg (33 lbs), bench by 22.5 kg (50 lb) and deadlift by 25 kg (55 lb), I also gained 10 kg (22 lb) of bodyweight.

I'm not sure that I'm all that pleased with my progress this last year, I felt like a lot of **** got in the way, I got sick a number of times and had to work my way back up again, so I kind of lost a couple of months of progress..

The Program:

All secondary movements were done beltless

Monday:
    Heavy deadlift
    light squat, front squat or pause squat.

The deadlifts started in the 75% range for 5 stets of 5 and was increased ~5 lbs per week for the first few weeks, then I went over to 5 sets of 3 (5x3), squats were done for 3x5 around the 70% mark throughout the whole training cycle, adding 2.5-5 lbs per week

Wednesday:
    Heavy OHP (5x5 first, later 5x3)
    light bench (3x5)

Same thing here, started light and kept adding ~5 lbs and later on ~2.5 lbs

Friday:
    Heavy squat (same as above)
    light deadlift variation (3x5)

Deadlift variations were typically paused deadlifts, deficit deadlifts or rack pulls.

Sunday:
    Heavy Bench (same as above)
    light OHP (3x5)

When the weights started to get too heavy for weekly progression I would do 3x3 on the main lift and try for 5 sets the next week, the secondary movement was usually just done to work on form and "grease the groove" so I typically didn't have to decrease in weight or fight for progression on those. If I had a good day I'd go for an AMRAP on the last set of either my main lift or secondary lift.

Assistance exercises were usually done in the 8-15 rep range, I just did whatever I had the energy to do. Most common assistance exercises were weighted chins, ez bar lying tricep extensions, DB rows, front squats, weighted planks, seal rows, Z presses, floor press and upper back work in the 15+ rep range.

I based the sets and reps on my primary exercises on Prilepin's table. Most of my training cycle I spent time in the 80-85% range doing sets of triples with a total of around 9-18 reps on my main lift.

When I tapered down to max out I simply increased the weight over the course of a couple of weeks while doing less and less sets, the last heavy week before maxing I did 3 singles at around 90% of my estimated max. My estimations of my maxes were almost identical to my actual maxes, which was a good feeling.

The diet:
    Around 3500 calories a day, lots of carbs, moderate protein and fat
    lots of chocolate milk, eggs, pasta, potatoes and oats

I'm sure I left something out, but if you have any questions just ask, and please leave your opinion on what I could improve
    No hate on the mod

*Misc music crew*
    *Powerbuilding crew*

starting weight: 110 lbs
    1 year progress: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161533243

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That looks pretty rag-tag, to be honest. Do you have a log I could take a look at?

You might want to draft somethinig up in excel. Here's what I'm doing currently for bench:

It just makes things easier to look at.

If you'd like, I could draft something up in excel if you don't own a copy.

That said, I don't really like the high volume deads (personal preference). Deadlift is my favorite movement, but I only perform deadlifts off the floor about 1x per week. If you really want to build your deadlift, I'd recommend pause deficit deadlifts. If you have it in you, I would try to squat 3x week.

Also bench 2-3x week (imo).

The frequency is okay if that's how you want to structure it, I would just reduce deadlift frequency and up squat frequency personally.

Edit --- but yeah, I mean if you've got the CNS for high volume deads, more power to you.
    Last edited by Turtora; 04-26-2015 at 06:07 PM.

IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IcemanIsDead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Turtora View Post
    That looks pretty rag-tag, to be honest. Do you have a log I could take a look at?
    Sorry, I don't, but I could go more into detail in a nicer format if that would help you get a better understanding

So I should drop the light deadlifts on squat day even though they are a variation? And should I decrease the volume on deadift day as well in your opinion? Do you recommend same intensity each day or a medium/light/heavy setup for the squat if I do it 3x/week?

As for the bench, I do bench twice a week as it is, but one day is more dedicated to working on pauses and form, and both pressing days involve at least 1 extra bench variation, my shoulders feel a bit bothered if I go too heavy on the bench too often, I'd say that the current setup has proven to be the most effective for me thus far, but thank you for your input on that as well
    No hate on the mod

*Misc music crew*
    *Powerbuilding crew*

starting weight: 110 lbs
    1 year progress: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161533243

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IcemanIsDead View Post
    Sorry, I don't, but I could go more into detail in a nicer format if that would help you get a better understanding

So I should drop the light deadlifts on squat day even though they are a variation? And should I decrease the volume on deadift day as well in your opinion? Do you recommend same intensity each day or a medium/light/heavy setup for the squat if I do it 3x/week?

As for the bench, I do bench twice a week as it is, but one day is more dedicated to working on pauses and form, and both pressing days involve at least 1 extra bench variation, my shoulders feel a bit bothered if I go too heavy on the bench too often, I'd say that the current setup has proven to be the most effective for me thus far, but thank you for your input on that as well
    Yeah, I was looking over it a 2nd time and noticed the 2nd day of deads was a variation. Thought it was just regular ol deads again. I think deads + a dead variation is totally cool, and what I usually do. As far as DL volume goes, I keep total weekly below total weekly of squat & bench. Definitely a fan of the medium/light/heavy setup, given that it sounds just like the Texas Method.

As for squats, I'm a big fan of a DUP approach when it comes to strength. You don't necessarily HAVE to perform squat variations 3x/week, that's just my personal preference. I wrote up an UL plan that squats 2x/week here that utilizes DUP methodology if you'd like to check it out and maybe get a better idea of how to structure your next training block:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=167304971

Honestly, if it works for you then keep at it.

I feel you on the shoulder stuff, though. Have you tried upping volume for facepulls/seated cable rows/pull ups?

Also this:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

I have pretty busted up shoulders, but as long as I keep up with pulling volume + prehab work then I'm generally ok. Gonna vary case by case, though.