Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Lifting to lose the final 30lbs!

Hello All

Welcome to my weightlifting journal. I have been lurking on these forums since almost the start of my weight loss journey. Have learnt so much from this site and now feel confident enough to join in the discussions and get the occasional kick when I need it.

Stats

H: 5'2"
    SW: 119.3kg / 263lbs (Aug 2013)
    CW: 68.8kg / 151.6lbs
    GW: 55kg / 121lbs

1RM:
    Squat - 48kg / 105lbs
    Deadlift - 56kg / 123lbs
    Bench - 32kg / 70lbs
    OH Press - 25kg / 55lbs

I lift at home. 4 times a week - 2 upper, 2 lower. 2 heavy, 2 light days.

3 X 5 on each of the 4 lifts with 2 warm up sets. I will end each 3 X 5 with 2 X 15 at a considerably lighter weight.

I try to do one cardio session a week - but don't stress if I don't get it in.

My weightloss story: In Aug 2013, I had PCOS, high blood pressure, sugar, prediabetic and just extremely unhealthy all around. Started eating low fat/med carb/high protein (Dukan) and lost the majority of my weight.

Initially did cardio. Everyday. Started off doing a beachbody program (T25) - 25 mins of cardio in front of the TV 5 days a week. Got bored pretty quickly. Downloaded another beachbody program - Chalean Extreme, not realising it was centred around lifting.

I fell in love with the iron because of CE. Granted its not the ideal program for a beginner. But for someone who was going about this alone, it was the best way to get me started on the weights, and did 2 cycles of the program (approx 6 months).

By the end of it I was ready for a change and started looking for an alternative workout. I had already discovered the forums at this point but didn't really get into all the stickies or absorb all the advise. But this time round I did. And realised as a beginner I needed to switch to a total body workout.

At this point, my sister also decided to join me. Because we were lifting at home, and with limited time available (5am in the morning for an hour) for both of us, I picked 5/3/1. Again, may not have been the best choice but one lift per day, 3 days a week suited the two of us just fine.

By Dec 2014, I got down to 72kg. Decided to switch to calorie counting. Managed to do that till beginning of Mar 2015. I am very good with sticking to my prepped food during the week, but come the weekend I lose track. Not because of cheating, but because I kept finding myself staying over at my boy friends (completely unplanned) and therefore not having my meals with me and eating out. Didn't put on any weight in that time, but didn't lose any.

In March I decided to switch back to Dukan. I have the freedom to eat out without stressing about my calories and allowances. In the first two weeks of switching back I dropped water weight and a kg. But then went on holiday and a few stress related issues (a few days of chocolate and cakes) and didn't lose much in the last two months.

I am now at 68.8kgs. I will say that I am happily recomping. My lift are increasing (slowly) and my weight has remained fairly stable (despite the occasional meals and days off plan). As I do not intend to ever compete, I am happy with the extremely slow weight loss.

As of last week, PCOS has completely disappeared, I am no longer prediabetic (completely off any medications) and my pressure is better than normal.

I do know that if I do not get my b*** in gear with regards to my diet, I will never reach my ultimate weight goal. That's why I am breaking up journey into smaller chunks: first phase is to get to 65kgs by my birthday in June. This is what I weighed in high school and that's where I want be when I turn 33!

Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In for June birthday! Mine is in June as well! You've made some really awesome progress, lady! Excited to see what you do with the next couple of months!
    MFP: mkjbarreto
    Insta: barretosupreme
    Personal Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162859401

*Femme Nutrition product log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167407101

rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmeriel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Madi-J View Post
    In for June birthday! Mine is in June as well! You've made some really awesome progress, lady! Excited to see what you do with the next couple of months!
    Thank you! And a Happy Bday to us in June :-)

Sun 26 April: Upper Heavy

Bench, OH Press, Barbell Row

2 X 5 Warm up, followed by 3 X 5 Work sets and ended with 2 X 15 Volume sets (at a lighter weight) for each lift.

Only failed on Set 3 of the OH Press - managed only 4 reps. Gosh my shoulders are weak!

Today is Lower Heavy - Squats, Deads and Calves. With a few sets of bis and tris thrown in at the end of the workout.

Got my mum telling me (again!) I need to stop the weight loss. "You are looking unhealthy now. You must stop with the heavy weights."

No mum, I am still at least 10kgs overweight! And I love the heavy weights - makes me feel invincible :-P

Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There are a lot of people on here who's family/friends aren't the most supportive. I got really lucky, my husband is more into lifting than I am, and my mom competed before having me and for a while after I was born. It's nice to have people around that "get it". Do you have others in your life that are supportive of your goals?

*Femme Nutrition product log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167407101

There are a lot of people on here who's family/friends aren't the most supportive. I got really lucky, my husband is more into lifting than I am, and my mom competed before having me and for a while after I was born. It's nice to have people around that "get it". Do you have others in your life that are supportive of your goals?

Nope... no one in my life understands lifting or why I want to finally lose all this weight! Even the guy I am seeing thinks I would look way too skinny at 65kg - let alone get down to my goal!

I have one friend (who doesn't live in the same country anymore) who is into lifting. I can talk to him about my little victories (like seeing a vein in my neck - OMG!) but try telling my mum that and all she does is shakes her head in disappointment :-P.

Do you train with your husband?

Mon 27 April: Lower Heavy

Squats and Deads 3 X 5
    Calves 4 X 30
    Bis and Tris 3 X 15

Had a small emergency with a friend yesterday so got home much later than planned. Made it through the workout but as it was pushing midnight decided to drop the 2 volume sets.

I found out yesterday that I will be travelling on business next week and will be away for a month. Need to find out what gym facilities are available at my hotel or surrounding area. If nothing, I will have to resort to body weight workouts for the next 5 weeks. High reps??

I am hoping this trip actually helps me lose the 4 kgs to my bday goal weight, as a colleague I am travelling with has promised to take me hiking and trekking and cycling (so will be way more cardio active than I am at home). Looking forward to that - being outdoors (don't get that much where I live).

Man, that really stinks! I'm sure there will come a point where most of my family tells me I'm too skinny or too muscular, but I will always have my mom and husband that fully understand the bodybuilding world and about cut/bulk cycles, etc. In answer to your question, I do lift with my husband, and usually just do whatever exercises he is doing unless it's something I've tried and know doesn't work for me. I'm glad that you at least have one friend that you can share with, though it stinks that they are in a different country!

For your travels, are you going to be staying in one location the whole month, or bouncing around? Call the hotel(s) and ask about their fitness center first (free is always best), if they don't have enough to support what you need to get done, definitely do some research on gyms close by. If you're going to be there for the whole month, getting a gym pass should be very easy. If you're going to be bouncing around, call the gyms that look good to you and see if they will work with you on a pass for the time that you will be in that location. I have heard that big chain gyms can get expensive with short-term passes, but my husband had great luck on a 5-day pass at a small local gym during a trip we took a couple of years ago. I don't know what he paid for it, but I believe it was $30 or less for both of us and the equipment they had was AWESOME. Lots of old school, "hardcore" type stuff that you see big-name bodybuilders using in their videos. Very cool, we had a lot of fun there. Also, if the gym that you go to now is a chain, double check to see if there are locations where you are headed and if your membership is good there. My hubs and I go to 24hr fitness right now which has locations virtually everywhere, and our membership is good at all of them except the few top-tier locations. I don't know about other chain gyms, but I would bet that they work the same way. Along those lines, if there is a chain that has a location close to where you live and close to where you are travelling to, you could save yourself a little time by setting up a 1-month membership right before you leave, that way it's ready to go when you reach your destination.

If all else fails, even though you are lifting extra weight, I think you would be surprised at the difficulty of some body weight exercises! A quick google search will give you tons of bodyweight programs to choose from.

Man, that really stinks! I'm sure there will come a point where most of my family tells me I'm too skinny or too muscular, but I will always have my mom and husband that fully understand the bodybuilding world and about cut/bulk cycles, etc. In answer to your question, I do lift with my husband, and usually just do whatever exercises he is doing unless it's something I've tried and know doesn't work for me. I'm glad that you at least have one friend that you can share with, though it stinks that they are in a different country!

For your travels, are you going to be staying in one location the whole month, or bouncing around? Call the hotel(s) and ask about their fitness center first (free is always best), if they don't have enough to support what you need to get done, definitely do some research on gyms close by. If you're going to be there for the whole month, getting a gym pass should be very easy. If you're going to be bouncing around, call the gyms that look good to you and see if they will work with you on a pass for the time that you will be in that location. I have heard that big chain gyms can get expensive with short-term passes, but my husband had great luck on a 5-day pass at a small local gym during a trip we took a couple of years ago. I don't know what he paid for it, but I believe it was $30 or less for both of us and the equipment they had was AWESOME. Lots of old school, "hardcore" type stuff that you see big-name bodybuilders using in their videos. Very cool, we had a lot of fun there. Also, if the gym that you go to now is a chain, double check to see if there are locations where you are headed and if your membership is good there. My hubs and I go to 24hr fitness right now which has locations virtually everywhere, and our membership is good at all of them except the few top-tier locations. I don't know about other chain gyms, but I would bet that they work the same way. Along those lines, if there is a chain that has a location close to where you live and close to where you are travelling to, you could save yourself a little time by setting up a 1-month membership right before you leave, that way it's ready to go when you reach your destination.

If all else fails, even though you are lifting extra weight, I think you would be surprised at the difficulty of some body weight exercises! A quick google search will give you tons of bodyweight programs to choose from.

I am actually looking forward to the day I get told I look too muscular - skinny is one thing, but to look fit would be awesome! :-D

Going to be staying in one place, no travelling. The hotel I am booked into (at least as confirmed this afternoon) has a gym and it looks pretty solid. Hopefully, company doesn't decide to switch me to one of the apartments - will argue that if it happens, but there is only so much they will do especially since I am going for a long time.

And from what I hear, this hotel gym is the only one in the area... as you can tell, not going to a very developed country :-P (btw, I don't go to a gym now. workout at home.)

I know what you mean about bodyweight stuff being surprising - did squats once in between (when I was on holiday and felt like I had to do something!) - and oh man! was I sore the next day...

So you're going to a different country? If you don't mind sharing, where are you going, and what will you be doing there? Even if it's not developed, I am jealous that you get to travel! I love travelling and haven't been able to go much of anywhere lately. Hubs and I are hoping to take a weekend trip to Houston or Galveston this summer for my birthday. Next year we are planning to go to the Dominican! As for working out at home, I think that will help you out a bit since there aren't any actual gyms in the area; what they have should be the same if not more than what you have at home. Yay for not having to spend extra money!

So you're going to a different country? If you don't mind sharing, where are you going, and what will you be doing there? Even if it's not developed, I am jealous that you get to travel! I love travelling and haven't been able to go much of anywhere lately. Hubs and I are hoping to take a weekend trip to Houston or Galveston this summer for my birthday. Next year we are planning to go to the Dominican! As for working out at home, I think that will help you out a bit since there aren't any actual gyms in the area; what they have should be the same if not more than what you have at home. Yay for not having to spend extra money!
    I live in the Middle East (UAE). Travelling to Macedonia. Its a beautiful country. And relatively cheap. Great place for a holiday. But I will have to take so much stuff with me (BCAA, creatine, sweetener, protein bars etc.)! And I just know that I will get there and have completely forgotten to take something that is completely unavailable in Macedonia!

One day I will make it to the States. Never been and its on my bucket list!

Houston / Galveston - city breaks? Sights, clubs, dinners and shows? Or do you book yourself into a resort / spa for the weekend and hideaway?

28 April: Cardio

30 min jog.

29 April: Upper Light

Bench, OH Press and Row - 3 X 5 at 85%. Didn't do any volume sets as I woke up late and had to rush to make it to work on time.

Loads of shopping for my trip, followed by a birthday celebration tonight. Going to be a late one so will do my Lower Light day on Friday instead of tomorrow.

So it's been a while. A while since my last entry, a while since my last workout and the last time I ate on plan :-P

It's been a busy 10 days. With last minute shopping, packing, saying my goodbyes and then travelling to a strange country. The craziness of all last week, along with the uncertainty and the despair of being away from home, meant that I was comfort eating. Chocolate, cake, bread, local delicacies etc. etc.

I knew what I was doing and did not want to stop. But I gave myself till Sun. Made sure I woke up yest (Mon) with a plan and food prepped. So back on the wagon since yest. Food right on the mark and I even joined a gym!!!!

I flew here on Thurs last week (arrived in the afternoon). All Thurs evening, Fri evening and Sat I walked around town looking for a gym to join. Women's gym here are cardio centric with a few pink dumb bells. The body building centers only attract men. I am not shy of working out with men, but being in a strange country, unable to speak the language, I was a little worried.

Then I found out that the cousin of one of the girls at front desk runs a body building gym in a little village outside town. She spoke with him and he was happy to have me train with him. Went there last night, completely unsure of what I was getting myself into. But OMG! The place is so amazing! Only iron. Everywhere. And the guy was so friendly. With his broken English he helped get acquainted.

All the boys in the room kept staring. I got a few comments from the owner about how he has seen boys unable to lift some of the weights I was doing, my form was good etc. As you can imagine, I was in 7th heaven :-D!

Did upper heavy last night. Going back to do lower heavy tonight. After over a week of not working out, I can already feel the soreness in my chest!!!

Looks like you are doing pretty great in here! And the gym you found sounds amazing!

Houston may turn into San Antonio, just depends on where we can afford to go that won't be crawling with kids... lol.

Looks like you are doing pretty great in here! And the gym you found sounds amazing!

Houston may turn into San Antonio, just depends on where we can afford to go that won't be crawling with kids... lol.
    Thanks Madi! I am trying. Being away for the whole month means I can stick to my food and exercise - no temptation :-).

Anywhere in the States sounds like it would be great! One day ....

12 April: Lower Heavy (ish)

Still getting acquainted with the gym so not going as heavy as I could. Will kill it next week.

The gym has one boo boo - no squat rack!!! I discovered that last night... Only the smith machine.

I didn't want to use the smith, so ended up doing zercher squats. Shocked the boys some more :-).

Rest day today and back on for an day Upper Day tomm.

14 May: Upper Light

Had a late night Wed... few drinks included :-). Felt a teeny bit under the weather all day at work yesterday.

So left work earlier than normal, went to the gym. Did a light day on the bench, press and row. Had 15 mins to spare till the taxi turned up to take me back. So rather than just sitting I got on the cycle and cycled at a reasonable pace for 10 mins. The readout said I did 5k.

Today is lower light. But its also Fri night and planned drinks with colleagues. Depending on how late I work may skip the gym today and go tomorrow :-D.

15 May: Lower Light

So I did make it to the gym and did my lower light day. But I cheated a bit. Was so nauseous all day yesterday, was worried that I'd throw up during squats, so went way lighter than a normal light day!

Did some calf raises and bi/tris to finish off. Gotten comfortable with the gym and ppl now so yay!

25 days till I get back home!

18 May: Upper Heavy

Love upper body days. Can kill the workout in 30 minutes! Maybe I'm not going heavy enough :-P.

22 days to go! Loving the gym and being by myself here. But still miss my cats, family and friends (in that order :-P).

19 May: Lower Heavy

Was such great workout! Warmed up on the bike for 5 min and then got straight into squats, deads, calves, bis and tris!

Did 42kg deadlifts (3X15). Thats .6 of my BW. Woohoo!

21 days till I get home!

LOL I would miss my cat over anyone else too, even though she wouldn't miss me at all!

As far as the quick upper body workouts, as long as you are working up a sweat and/or struggling with your last few reps on each exercise consistently, I'd say you are doing fine. I'm no expert at all, but that's what I strive for in my workouts and so far it is working well for me!

LOL I would miss my cat over anyone else too, even though she wouldn't miss me at all!

As far as the quick upper body workouts, as long as you are working up a sweat and/or struggling with your last few reps on each exercise consistently, I'd say you are doing fine. I'm no expert at all, but that's what I strive for in my workouts and so far it is working well for me!
    Hahaha! I've got 3 and my biggest, who has also been with me the longest, is showing signs of depression. He is still eating and drinking, but now spending more time sleeping on my bed and stuff and not playing with mum or the other two... I miss him so bad!

Oh I work up a sweat! Every workout - upper or lower.

Did a 3km uphill walk yesterday. OMG! I was dying in the first 2 mins! But I stuck it out. Got to the top of the mountain in 39 mins. And my friend (no longer after the walk yesterday :-P), usually takes 25 mins. So I don't feel too out of shape :-).

My legs and a$$ are killing me today tho... glad its upper body in the gym tonight.

20 days to go!!!

22 May: Upper

It was heavy again! I felt like it so went for it!

Managed 30 kg on the bench 3 X 5... yay! That's my PB so far :-D :-D :-D

DOMS from the walk uphill has hit me today... my gluteus medius (I googled it!) is killing me! I may have to skip lower today...

It's a rainy day here... Expected to rain all weekend. I have no wet weather clothes here so going to be stuck in my room most of the weekend :-(

19 days to go!!!

Originally Posted by rmeriel View Post
    22 May: Upper

It was heavy again! I felt like it so went for it!

Managed 30 kg on the bench 3 X 5... yay! That's my PB so far :-D :-D :-D

DOMS from the walk uphill has hit me today... my gluteus medius (I googled it!) is killing me! I may have to skip lower today...

It's a rainy day here... Expected to rain all weekend. I have no wet weather clothes here so going to be stuck in my room most of the weekend :-(

19 days to go!!!
    Hopefully you didn't skip today entirely, I've found that doing light weight/bodyweight exercises really helps my sore muscles recover faster.

Also, great job on the bench press!

Hopefully you didn't skip today entirely, I've found that doing light weight/bodyweight exercises really helps my sore muscles recover faster.

Also, great job on the bench press!
    I didn't skip it. I made it to the gym kicking and screaming (in my head that is). Felt loads better after.

But went straight back to my room and crashed! Did not move till Sat morning :-)

And thank you thank you :-)

22 May: Lower Light

I made it to the gym and suffered through (I say suffer but I actually enjoyed the torture :-D) squats deads calves bis and tris.

This weekend though... went to the city (Skopje) on Saturday. Walked around for over 4 hrs. Enjoyed the day! We got lucky it rained all Fri night but stopped Sat morning. It was a clear bright hot Saturday day.

Sun morning, my wonderful colleague took me for a more relaxed walk up another mountain. 2hrs 40 mins, 9.6 km! It was not fast paced, but it was taxing!

We mostly stuck to the main paved / dirt roads, but did do a couple of trails. They are torture! And not the kind I enjoy :-(.

After the walk, another colleague took me for lunch to a restaurant up another mountain! Here they catch trout from the river (right in front of you) and grill it for your meal.

The food was delish! But it did involve a shorter walk (about 20 min) uphill. I know I have over done it - my thighs are hating me today!

I may skip the gym tonight or just do an upper day. Also thinking of switching to 3 days with the iron (especially if I am going to continue doing at least 2 walks weekly).

Have a nice day folk xx

After all of that activity, I would agree that it may be time to give those legs a rest! I'm enough of a baby just having to get out of my chair and walk 20 steps at work a couple of days after leg day. I can only imagine how you are feeling!

26 May: Deadlift and OH Press

After realising the toll walking was taking on my body (in addition to the 4 day split at the gym), decided to move to a 3-day split.

And since I have exactly 3 weeks to go - thought I'd get in a cycle of 5/3/1!

So yesterday was deadlifts and OH press. My + sets were:

- Deadlift 45 kg X 7 reps (99lbs)

- OH Press 20 kg X 10 reps (45lbs)

Looking back at my 5/3/1 records, the max I have done:

- Deadlift 50 kg X 5 reps (110lbs)

- OH Press 22 kg X 6 reps (48lbs)

By the end of this cycle I will be hitting the same numbers! And maybe more on the press ...
    Last edited by rmeriel; 05-26-2015 at 11:10 PM.

After all of that activity, I would agree that it may be time to give those legs a rest! I'm enough of a baby just having to get out of my chair and walk 20 steps at work a couple of days after leg day. I can only imagine how you are feeling!
    I did take a rest day. Also had to eat some pizza :-D. Was feeling so low toward the afternoon on Mon - sluggish, sleepy and my inner thighs were on fire! Ordered a pizza and split it with my colleague. Felt better after.

Got into bed early and slept like a baby. Was loads better yesterday.

28 May:

Bench and upper accessories. Managed 30kg again on the bench... Next week going for 32.

Had an early night and been hard at work today. Squats this evening followed by a night on the town :-).

Have a great weekend everybody!