MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10) MetaLicca is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How To Create an RTS Routine?

Hey guys, I've been on 5/3/1 for a while now, and I'm looking to transition into running an RTS program. I've seen the General Intermediate Program, but I'd like to also focus on my overhead press, and I don't really see it there. I know there is a lot of room for customization with RTS routines, but I'm not entirely sure how I would create a routine. I was thinking something along the following lines:

Monday: Bench/Squat + assistance
    Tuesday:OHP/Dead +assistance
    Thursday:Paused Bench or Spoto Press/ PausedSquat + assistance
    Friday: Seated OHP or Push Press/ Stiff Legged Dead + assistance

(Thinking it would be better to do the variations on Thurs. and Fri. to make sure I'm fresh at the start of the week, but I'd also be open to doing the full lifts twice a week, just not sure if it's recommended).

Block 1 would be volume
    Week 1+2: 5x5@ RPE8-9 (load drop) 5% fatigue
    Week 3+4: 6x3@ RPE8-9 (load drop) 5% fatigue
    Week 5: 3x5@RPE 7-8 no load drop (This would be a sort of recovery week

Block 2 would be intensity
    Week 1: Work up to x3@ RPE9 (load drop) 5% fatigue
    Week 2: Work up to x2@ RPE9 (load drop) 5% fatigue
    Week 3: Work up to x1@ RPE10 no load drop
    Week 4: Deload week, warm up sets only

Any advice on this would be appreciated, things I could tweak etc. I have no idea if this is at all decent or if this would be a disaster

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which variation of 5/3/1 have you been doing? More specifically, what kind of frequency have you been doing for each lift? You may need to slower transition towards what you have set up as 2x squat/bench/dead/ohp.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BioSmith91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well your first mistake is that you listed how many sets you are doing at each RPE. RTS means auto regulation of both volume AND intensity. The fatigue % will determine your total number of sets. High fatigue %= higher volume, lower fatigue % = lower volume etc.
    Strong, aesthetic crew.

My Definitely Not 5/3/1 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167683321&p=1366691651#post1366691651

Current gym total: 1250@ 218. Goal: 1400 by the end of 2015.

Music to lift heavy stuff: Asking Alexandria, We Came as Romans, Bring Me the Horizon, Jamie's Elsewhere

paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BioSmith91 View Post
    Well your first mistake is that you listed how many sets you are doing at each RPE. RTS means auto regulation of both volume AND intensity. The fatigue % will determine your total number of sets. High fatigue %= higher volume, lower fatigue % = lower volume etc.
    Totally agree. And the intermediate program has overhead work already in it, so I don't see the need to have 2 days dedicated to it like you are planning. Have you tried doing the program first and see how it works for you before you start tweaking it?

ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doing planned down sets isn't exactly within the perfect definition of RTS, but it isn't a bad idea. From what I have seen on the facial book, Mike T prescribes a set number of down sets to some of the people he coaches. If overhead press is so important to you then just take you secondary bench slots and make them overhead press slots (if this is greek to you, invest the money in the manual, its a small investment considering you already plan on investing in months worth of training with those principles).

When you say you plan on x1@10 for a week, is that maxing out every exercise? If so I really have to ask why? From my point of view there are some lifts that maxing on is justified. Competition squat, bench and deadlift since they are the best ways of demonstrating improvement within the context of powerlifting. A lift like a pause squat or incline bench I am probably better off doing for more reps with and building more volume. A 1RM in the incline bench doesn't really do a whole lot in pushing up my bench, sets of 5-8 incline bench will do more for my bench than a 1RM. But that is just my personal philosophy.

Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oleh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BioSmith91 View Post
    if you read the book, mike recommend having specific sets programmed in until you are comfortable auto regulating. Nothing wrong with having prescribed sets, he can always add or remove a set depending on feel.

Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turtora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Oleh View Post
    if you read the book, mike recommend having specific sets programmed in until you are comfortable auto regulating. Nothing wrong with having prescribed sets, he can always add or remove a set depending on feel.
    ayyy lmao