ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

5'8 142 pounds, good for a wide receiver?

Is 5'8 142 pounds good for a wide receiver playing high school football? And does anybody know how I can increase my hitting power?

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ballerballer View Post
    Is 5'8 142 pounds good for a wide receiver playing high school football? And does anybody know how I can increase my hitting power?
    5'8 is just fine for a WR in high school. Hitting power comes from your core and legs. Efficient hitting comes from technique and practice. That latter is more important. The Madden "Hit Stick" days are over with. Work on your form and make sure tackles.

ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ballerballer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    5'8 is just fine for a WR in high school. Hitting power comes from your core and legs. Efficient hitting comes from technique and practice. That latter is more important. The Madden "Hit Stick" days are over with. Work on your form and make sure tackles.
    Is 142 pounds ok?

Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Weight doest matter much at that level, especially at WR. Just be fast, be able to catch and practice your blocks and routes a lot.

Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donoservice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes! Viking2396 is right! During your formative years (youth and high school) it is important that you learn the game and develop. When I was in high school I played Runningback at a slight 135 lbs. My weight didn't hinder my performance, however I definitely could have benefited from an adequate strength and conditioning program.
    - Anyways, keep your head up and keep working on getting better everyday and listen to your coaches and mentors. Stop by my website below or read my post on the 10 Keys To Athletics Success.

Stay Hungry!
    Donovan Service
    Founder & Lifestyle Architect
    @ Personal Management Institute (PMI) of Health & Fitness
    www.pmihealthfitness.com

Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with popularity, the pressure to drink, do drugs and go to parties?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with popularity, the pressure to drink, do drugs and go to parties?
    Yes. Just don't. It's really not that hard.

Sit down while I tell you a tale. When I was 14 or so, I lived in a lower socio-economic area with a lot of drug and alcohol misuse. All I ever wanted to do was be a very good soldier when I left school. I was also very good at my sport. So for me, drug use was never going to be on the cards. If I told someone that I didn't want to partake in drugs once, they respected that. If they didn't, they were no longer part of my life.

I lost some friends and got some new ones. Over time, though, I gained more than I lost. There were times when I felt pretty alone, but I had my training to keep me occupied and when I started to get articles about me in magazines, I found myself a lot more popular than I would have been if I had been a party person.

Fortunately for me, I had a great mentor who convinced me that I could fade into obscurity with the wankers looking for instant gratification or I could do the right thing and make my mark. I may not have become a K1 champ like I wanted, but I've done OK - even with some pretty huge mistakes - and one thing that people I talk to from school now remember and respect is my adherence to my principles and my diligence in training.

And so endeth the lesson.

Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post

Sit down while I tell you a tale. When I was 14 or so, I lived in a lower socio-economic area with a lot of drug and alcohol misuse. All I ever wanted to do was be a very good soldier when I left school. I was also very good at my sport. So for me, drug use was never going to be on the cards. If I told someone that I didn't want to partake in drugs once, they respected that. If they didn't, they were no longer part of my life.

I lost some friends and got some new ones. Over time, though, I gained more than I lost. There were times when I felt pretty alone, but I had my training to keep me occupied and when I started to get articles about me in magazines, I found myself a lot more popular than I would have been if I had been a party person.

Fortunately for me, I had a great mentor who convinced me that I could fade into obscurity with the wankers looking for instant gratification or I could do the right thing and make my mark. I may not have become a K1 champ like I wanted, but I've done OK - even with some pretty huge mistakes - and one thing that people I talk to from school now remember and respect is my adherence to my principles and my diligence in training.

This is amazing

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    If you wanna succeed bad enough, you'll have the self-control to stay sober. Nobody can do it for you, nobody can make you do it. There's not much else I can say to help you on this. I myself, am surrounded by drugs and alcohol, however all of my friends respect me and know my intentions and I can still hangout with them w/o doing any drugs or alcohol. Also, 140 pounds is a bit small. I myself am 5'8" and 170 LBS and I still wish to get bigger. I play DB and whenever I go up against a WR that's not my size, I make them tap out. The jam is one of the most crucial parts of the play, if you're supposed to run a slant and get the ball in 3 second, and I jam you for 2 seconds. Your QB now has to look for another option and I completely shut down that part of the field. 2 seconds is about the time it takes for me to jam my hands in your chest, and for you to take 2-3 attempts at getting free. Simply, if you're not strong, good corners will body you and make you feel helpless. If it's hard for you to gain size, get quicker. You can try to put a double move or something if size isn't your thing

For those of you who play high school football, what was it like balancing time between friends, football, and school?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For those of you who play high school football, what was it like balancing time between friends, football, and school?
    As a parent my son's number 1 focus is academic - it trumps everything. He has a tiger mom and she will enforce studying and good grades. I do give my kids credit, they are focused on academics and do a good, if not perfect, job of putting school first. After that, my son puts training second (training for track and field, football, basketball, and unfortunately injury rehab), friends third, video games fourth, and girls fifth. I've asked him about the ladies and he says it distracts him from training so he doesn't pursue romantic relationships. Most of his friends (girls and guys) have similar priorities and training is very important to them. I like his group of friends and how they've developed not only as athletes but as young men and women.

My friends were my teammates, so anytime I spent training with football I spent with them. My biggest regret in high school was making sports my life. Now with all my friends at differnt colleges I realize I have absoulty no social skills and no skills outside of sports, which is bad for someone involved in theatre. School was easy for me to get good grades in; it was simple for me; I realzed that I cannot afford college without good grades and I understood from the time I was 14 that I would more likly than not be burned out by the time I finished HS from sports (which turned out to be the case.)

What I suggest; in season focus on football and school, keep time with friends on the weekend and not do stupid stuff with them. At home eat dinner with your family, that little time you have for them makes a big differnce in keeping you sane.

After season; dont slave away in the weightroom. Follow a good program, run your sprints, catch some balls and go home. I lifted 5 days a week and spent hours training which ultimatly led me to leaving sports once and for all. If you are in it for the long run; realize a hard one hour is better than a hard 6 hours.

Jeffcaul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your teammates generally end up being your friends. I had my couple close friends outside of sports, and we would hangout on weekends...but the people you see everyday, train with, and play sports with... become your circle.

Football was a year round thing when I was in high school. You hit the weight room Tuesdays and Thursdays during summer vacation and did conditioning as well (wasn't required, but was frowned upon if you didn't attend.) 2 a days started in mid august, then practice monday-thursday, games on Friday, rinse and repeat. You'd get about 2 months off around Christmas break/Thanksgiving, and then you were expected to do track and field in the spring/late winter(again, not required, but severely frowned upon if you didn't.)

It's easy to get burned out. And there was no time for partying or doing drugs. Football was taken very seriously at my school and if you failed to perform you weren't playing. I'd be at school from 8am in the morning to 6-7pm at night most days, it's not easy and takes a lot of dedication.

Originally Posted by Viking2396 View Post
    My friends were my teammates, so anytime I spent training with football I spent with them. My biggest regret in high school was making sports my life. Now with all my friends at differnt colleges I realize I have absoulty no social skills and no skills outside of sports, which is bad for someone involved in theatre. School was easy for me to get good grades in; it was simple for me; I realzed that I cannot afford college without good grades and I understood from the time I was 14 that I would more likly than not be burned out by the time I finished HS from sports (which turned out to be the case.)

What I suggest; in season focus on football and school, keep time with friends on the weekend and not do stupid stuff with them. At home eat dinner with your family, that little time you have for them makes a big differnce in keeping you sane.

After season; dont slave away in the weightroom. Follow a good program, run your sprints, catch some balls and go home. I lifted 5 days a week and spent hours training which ultimatly led me to leaving sports once and for all. If you are in it for the long run; realize a hard one hour is better than a hard 6 hours.
    Wow, you really got me thinking about a lot of things. I have pretty much made sports my life which I am kind of starting to regret because I haven't developed a social life. You can be popular because your good at sports [like me] but not popular because of your social skills. I play basketball and football with no time off and on every off day I'm training. I feel like if I continue with this I'll end up burned up [like you said] at the end of high school.

IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IsaacTenga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't party that much, or hang out with my friends that much during the season. I guess that's how I kept my grades up, though I'm a bit lazy. What grade are you going to next year?

Wow, you really got me thinking about a lot of things. I have pretty much made sports my life which I am kind of starting to regret because I haven't developed a social life. You can be popular because your good at sports [like me] but not popular because of your social skills. I play basketball and football with no time off and on every off day I'm training. I feel like if I continue with this I'll end up burned up [like you said] at the end of high school.
    It is very likely you will. I had a bunch of friends in high school due to football and track, but once I left that I lost most of my friends. It took me a solid 9 months after highschool to make new friends, actually just last week I made my first new friend that is not sport related. There are many great things about athletics, and their is nothing wrong with a desire to succeed, but when it turns into obsession is when it gets out of hand. The first second I put on my helmet senior year I knew I was done after that season, some people can live life for their sport, I simply could not any longer.

Focus in school, and find something you are interested in that will help you later on in life that is not sport related. Some examples from my friends are;

Business
    Architecture
    art
    Music
    Engineering.

For me it is theatre now, something I never thought I would do. I wish I could have slowed down in high school, who knows I might have been still enjoying sports while actually being on par with the other kids in my major. No I hate playing sports and and far behind from the others in my classes.

Originally Posted by IsaacTenga View Post
    I don't party that much, or hang out with my friends that much during the season. I guess that's how I kept my grades up, though I'm a bit lazy. What grade are you going to next year?
    Grade 11. Grade 9 was a life changing year for me because our high school is grade 9-12. Grade 9 is like the year where everybody changes and lets out their true personality.

Originally Posted by Viking2396 View Post
    It is very likely you will. I had a bunch of friends in high school due to football and track, but once I left that I lost most of my friends. It took me a solid 9 months after highschool to make new friends, actually just last week I made my first new friend that is not sport related. There are many great things about athletics, and their is nothing wrong with a desire to succeed, but when it turns into obsession is when it gets out of hand. The first second I put on my helmet senior year I knew I was done after that season, some people can live life for their sport, I simply could not any longer.

Focus in school, and find something you are interested in that will help you later on in life that is not sport related. Some examples from my friends are;

Business
    Architecture
    art
    Music
    Engineering.

For me it is theatre now, something I never thought I would do. I wish I could have slowed down in high school, who knows I might have been still enjoying sports while actually being on par with the other kids in my major. No I hate playing sports and and far behind from the others in my classes.
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post

Great story man, it was very inspirational.