Page 93 of 215 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 193 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 6446
    MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by CalmWind View Post
    Don't even bother with him.....

Here's a link that explains what Religious Discrimination is.

Harassment: Harassing individuals due to their religion can include making fun of employees or telling them they are violating the company's dress code because they wear religious clothing such as yarmulkes, turbans, or hijabs (head scarves); repeatedly mocking a person because of his or her strong, Christian beliefs; ridiculing a Muslim employee for refusing pork at a company picnic; making efforts repeatedly to save the soul of a fellow employee who is an atheist.

https://www.workplacefairness.org/re...scrimination#1

I've seen a company fire their BEST (nationwide) employee over a single racist incident against two minorities. Hostile work environments invite lawsuits. Companies don't want that. They want their employees to be professionals and respect each other.

You're not in the wrong MuscleX. Giving co-workers a heads up that we don't appreciate insults against our religion is enough so that nobody has to be reported.

To piggyback off of this. A lot of people get the notion that HR is there for the employee; they're not. They're there to protect the company, and like you said one of those reasons is from lawsuits for harassment.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Он не человек, он как кусок железа

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheFornicator1 View Post
    lmao, oh the irony... Self awareness, not even once.

I believe a mod told you to quit posting here. I'm not sure what you're doing by continuing to post here.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Wall Investor & Developer TheFornicator1's Avatar
    TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleXtreme View Post
    I believe a mod told you to quit posting here. I'm not sure what you're doing by continuing to post here.
    That was in regard to a specific conversation where I was chitposting all over the place.

But by all means report me again, you ol' model of security, you...
    “The life of man is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” – Thomas Hobbes, 1588 – 1679

*Never Respond To RSM3 Threads crew*

Originally Posted by TheFornicator1 View Post
    That was in regard to a specific conversation where I was chitposting all over the place.

But by all means report me again, you ol' model of security, you...

Done.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheFornicator1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Done.
    “The life of man is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” – Thomas Hobbes, 1588 – 1679

sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Should come as no surprise that Forn has very little idea about professionalism. This is a chubby man in his 30 who probably works for Papa Johns.

Does it suck that we have to be this way in America? Sure, but thats the way it is.

I haven't started working as a dentist yet (will be in bout 2 months) but the advice I get from the older docs is :
    1)keep it 100% professional.
    2)Absolutely no politics in the office
    3)Absolutely no religion in the office
    4)Absolutely no jokes that may be considered inappropriate

keep all that for outside of work

God bless

Originally Posted by sexybrah14 View Post
    Should come as no surprise that Forn has very little idea about professionalism. This is a chubby man in his 30 who probably works for Papa Johns.

Does it suck that we have to be this way in America? Sure, but thats the way it is.

I haven't started working as a dentist yet (will be in bout 2 months) but the advice I get from the older docs is :

God bless
    And before you know it you'll form a relationship and will be cracking crude jokes and probably talking religion & politics, too.

That's the thing... I do know something of professionalism. What you're told as a youngin' on the come-up, isn't necessarily the way it is applied in practice.

Complaining to HR for what, by his description, appeared to be a general and cordial conversation that had no intended offense is probably more likely to cost him a promotion than them. People like that tend to be more trouble than they're worth.

Anyway, I gotta get back to flipping burgers.

EDIT: Actually, as I tried to allude earlier, we're probably in disagreement due to the cultural divide between Aus & US, more than anything. You guys get offended & sue over the most trivial of things. We're entirely different cultures in regard to our sensitivities. You guys melt @ the word kunt in informal social settings...
    Last edited by TheFornicator1; 07-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.

ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

God bless
    I had a Ukrainian Orthodox dentist and we discussed religion all the time. It was hilarious, I talked about the Orthodox leaving the Church and she said "WHAT!! I've always been told that the Catholics left the Church!" It was funny because we were both so sure that it was "common knowledge" that the other had left, whereas now I know that it is a far more complicated matter.
    Virile agitur

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Funny thing happened at church tonight. After the service this lady said, 'Brother Swamp Dog, I want to show you something." She proceeds to pull a case that was clearly holding a pistol. I said, "whoa, this is not the place, show me in the office or outside."

She works as an engraver and wanted to show me some work she was doing to this man's gun. I have never seen a gun in a church before. This makes the second I've seen in 3 weeks.

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
    Funny thing happened at church tonight. After the service this lady said, 'Brother Swamp Dog, I want to show you something." She proceeds to pull a case that was clearly holding a pistol. I said, "whoa, this is not the place, show me in the office or outside."

She works as an engraver and wanted to show me some work she was doing to this man's gun. I have never seen a gun in a church before. This makes the second I've seen in 3 weeks.
    Why don't you follow that one up with a phone call Swam Dog? You know...Hi how are you? No particular reason. How is the family? Anything on your mind? ...etc.

I'm guessing people know you might be a kind of gun enthusiast on some level and they are just being sociable because they guess you will think it's just neat but if you have any concern just reach out and see if you get a weird vibe.
    EX IGNORANTIA AD SAPIENTIAM
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
    Why don't you follow that one up with a phone call Swam Dog? You know...Hi how are you? No particular reason. How is the family? Anything on your mind? ...etc.

I'm guessing people know you might be a kind of gun enthusiast on some level and they are just being sociable because they guess you will think it's just neat but if you have any concern just reach out and see if you get a weird vibe.
    Nah she's alright. This in not a country church although it is small. I went to a country church in MS but actually would have been more shocked then to see a gun than now. Such is life.

plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I probably won't go to HR, cuz I don't wanna be 'that guy'. I'm friends with most of the ones that are saying these things, which is part of the reason why it's so disheartening to hear them talk like that.

I've heard of people having their religion bashed in the workplace, but this is the first few times it has happened to me so I'm not sure how to handle it.

Had some time read up on letters that Athanasius wrote, dude goes hard in the paint in condemning heretics.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Had some time read up on letters that Athanasius wrote, dude goes hard in the paint in condemning heretics.
    Was that around the time they were setting them on fire and chopping their heads off or was that later?
    EX IGNORANTIA AD SAPIENTIAM
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

Ipsum esse subsistens Athanasius90's Avatar
    Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000) Athanasius90 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by plak89 View Post
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I probably won't go to HR, cuz I don't wanna be 'that guy'. I'm friends with most of the ones that are saying these things, which is part of the reason why it's so disheartening to hear them talk like that.

I've heard of people having their religion bashed in the workplace, but this is the first few times it has happened to me so I'm not sure how to handle it.
    It depends on the company, but a hint of non-professionalism is a no-go. Professionalism at all times is paramount, especially in big firms. Even in aus I've seen even inappropriate r/p style jabs at someones belief turn into shouting arguments, and both employees hauled into HR.

You never know what might damage your image and in the professional world the last thing you do is get your name in mud. I remember one place I worked at, I came out of the bathroom with toilet paper stuck to my back and it was never the same again.
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."

- Socrates

“Every scientific man in order to preserve his reputation has to say he dislikes metaphysics. What he means is he dislikes having his metaphysics criticized.”

-Alfred North Whitehead

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The gaggle of atheists at work were at it again today...somebody was handed a christian story book thing and they all bashed it and the idea of Christianity. Mainly, 'why would God make us imperfect, send his Son to die for us, and condemn us if we don't believe?'

They also got into evolution and how the circumstances for evolution to occur aren't that radical and that there's life just like ours in other galaxies

I tried to reason with them, but they weren't having it. It's getting hard to work at this job..
    Have a discussion about Fermi's Paradox with them.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
    I have a subscription fee.

I lick your brain!
    Keen! Lick me, uncle. Lick me good.

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) plak89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Have a discussion about Fermi's Paradox with them.

This just made my head spin. What conclusion do you draw from this?

StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000)
    I asked this question in the wrong place a minute ago, but it seems like I've found the right place, haha.

I love developing meaningful relationships with people around me, and the gym can be a relatively intimidating place to build community...At least at first.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks trying to make my gym trips both productive, and to be able to share my faith with those around me. I would like to note, I'm not trying to dish my faith off on those around me, rather, I'm more concerned with getting to know people and make friends, Christian, Atheist, Muslim, you name it!

I've been having a good deal of success making friends with a group of guys that regularly play basketball, and we've had some really good theological conversations, which are what I live for.

Has anybody else been using their workout time as a side-ministy/outreach? (Without being disruptive or counterproductive, of course)

Originally Posted by StriveForHonor View Post
    I asked this question in the wrong place a minute ago, but it seems like I've found the right place, haha.

I love developing meaningful relationships with people around me, and the gym can be a relatively intimidating place to build community...At least at first.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks trying to make my gym trips both productive, and to be able to share my faith with those around me. I would like to note, I'm not trying to dish my faith off on those around me, rather, I'm more concerned with getting to know people and make friends, Christian, Atheist, Muslim, you name it!

I've been having a good deal of success making friends with a group of guys that regularly play basketball, and we've had some really good theological conversations, which are what I live for.

Has anybody else been using their workout time as a side-ministy/outreach? (Without being disruptive or counterproductive, of course)

No, I don't like to interrupt my workout to talk. If I do chat, it's usually with the regulars, but it's just small talk. The most I've thought about doing is wearing some custom dry fit stuff with a cross on them or some type of message.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I neglected to mention in your other thread, but yes ive done this at the gym a few times. was saturday and no one else was there but the owner (I went then cause I knew id have the cable machine to myself for once) and it came up. ended up ditching the rest of the workout that day and talking to him and sharing the lord. he already believed but it seems the sprit had me scheduled to talk to him in advance so it was productive. =)

interestingly, he said he thought he knew I believed already based on how I conducted myself and worked out. remember we are all in the full time ministry, whether we know it or not.

StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000) StriveForHonor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
    I neglected to mention in your other thread, but yes ive done this at the gym a few times. was saturday and no one else was there but the owner (I went then cause I knew id have the cable machine to myself for once) and it came up. ended up ditching the rest of the workout that day and talking to him and sharing the lord. he already believed but it seems the sprit had me scheduled to talk to him in advance so it was productive. =)

interestingly, he said he thought he knew I believed already based on how I conducted myself and worked out. remember we are all in the full time ministry, whether we know it or not.
    That's good stuff, man! Keep bringing the Kingdom!

This just made my head spin. What conclusion do you draw from this?
    I don't really draw any conclusions from it, but I have background issues that I infer into it.

One key point I feel the need to address is that biology as we understand it is very difficult to come by. Offering up an environment that could support life doesn't actually promote life. It just means that if life were there it wouldn't be guaranteed annihilation within a relatively short time period. David Wood recently did a talk where he claimed that, without divine help, the odds of getting the right stuff together in the right order in the right place and time to get a single average length protein are 1 in 10^164. In contrast, by multiplying the number of atoms in the universe by the number of seconds since the beginning of the universe by the maximum number of interactions between atoms per second (if they interact at light speed), he claims that each possible iteration of this universe has a 1 in 10^139 chance of existing. So, assuming his numbers are reliable, for even one average protein to exist is 10^25 (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) times rarer than literally any possible version of this universe. Put another way, assuming the numbers are correct, the universe needs 10^25 more reactions to occur in order to justify the possibility of a single protein coming into existence by purely material means. You can look at his numbers here: https://youtu.be/nDK5Z0FAU0s?t=35m10s I'm no expert in maths, but I think the 10^41,000 he derives is incorrect (I *think* it should just be 10^414, but I could be wrong). Nonetheless, it's a strong point.

Based on that, I think it's entirely probable that the mere existence of life (or even simpler forms of biology than that) is the Great Filter. As an extension of that, if there is life elsewhere in the universe, the fact that the conditions that would not only enable life but actually cause it are so profoundly rare to come by makes each instance of life appear to me as a miracle. Even using Hume's very strict parameters of what constitutes a miracle, any life emerging seems to fit best within those bounds. So if life emerges on two planets, that's just double the miracles. If the universe is teeming with life? Well then by my math it's teeming with miracles. Rather than indicating that God's probably not involved, every time life emerges from non-life, I take that as added evidence that God's at work.

In the Bible, there are commonly three heavens. The first heaven is the sky, where birds live. The second heaven is what we now call outer space, where the sun, moon and stars are (or, as the Bible calls them, lights). The third/highest heaven is what we tend to call heaven today, which is God's space. There are creatures in the highest heaven, and there are creatures in the lowest heaven. The Bible doesn't seem to discuss it, but following that trend, I don't think the Bible would in any way be contradicted by there being creatures in the middle heaven.

There are other things to consider (eg maybe entirely other kinds of life exist with entirely other requirements: maybe what we call habitable is wholly uninhabitable for the majority of other types of life, and what they call habitable is entirely uninhabitable to anything on Earth), but I don't think any of my other speculations on this issue say much about God's existence, or the plausibility the he became flesh and died on a tree to bear the curse of sin and save humanity from death.

I try to take the approach that I'm a missionary wherever I go. The gym is certainly an environment where I want to foster relationships and hopefully have theological conversations with people. My experience in personal training helps with this. I used to be terrified of approaching anyone in the gym. Now it's normal for me to say hi to people. This evening another trainer, myself, and 4 others (1 Christian, 3 non-Christian) were all talking about how submission works inside Christian marriage.

Atheus Militante de Pacis boseador's Avatar
    boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000) boseador is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I don't really draw any conclusions from it, but I have background issues that I infer into it.

One key point I feel the need to address is that biology as we understand it is very difficult to come by. Offering up an environment that could support life doesn't actually promote life. It just means that if life were there it wouldn't be guaranteed annihilation within a relatively short time period. David Wood recently did a talk where he claimed that, without divine help, the odds of getting the right stuff together in the right order in the right place and time to get a single average length protein are 1 in 10^164. In contrast, by multiplying the number of atoms in the universe by the number of seconds since the beginning of the universe by the maximum number of interactions between atoms per second (if they interact at light speed), he claims that each possible iteration of this universe has a 1 in 10^139 chance of existing. So, assuming his numbers are reliable, for even one average protein to exist is 10^25 (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) times rarer than literally any possible version of this universe. Put another way, assuming the numbers are correct, the universe needs 10^25 more reactions to occur in order to justify the possibility of a single protein coming into existence by purely material means. You can look at his numbers here: https://youtu.be/nDK5Z0FAU0s?t=35m10s I'm no expert in maths, but I think the 10^41,000 he derives is incorrect (I *think* it should just be 10^414, but I could be wrong). Nonetheless, it's a strong point.

Based on that, I think it's entirely probable that the mere existence of life (or even simpler forms of biology than that) is the Great Filter. As an extension of that, if there is life elsewhere in the universe, the fact that the conditions that would not only enable life but actually cause it are so profoundly rare to come by makes each instance of life appear to me as a miracle. Even using Hume's very strict parameters of what constitutes a miracle, any life emerging seems to fit best within those bounds. So if life emerges on two planets, that's just double the miracles. If the universe is teeming with life? Well then by my math it's teeming with miracles. Rather than indicating that God's probably not involved, every time life emerges from non-life, I take that as added evidence that God's at work.

In the Bible, there are commonly three heavens. The first heaven is the sky, where birds live. The second heaven is what we now call outer space, where the sun, moon and stars are (or, as the Bible calls them, lights). The third/highest heaven is what we tend to call heaven today, which is God's space. There are creatures in the highest heaven, and there are creatures in the lowest heaven. The Bible doesn't seem to discuss it, but following that trend, I don't think the Bible would in any way be contradicted by there being creatures in the middle heaven.

There are other things to consider (eg maybe entirely other kinds of life exist with entirely other requirements: maybe what we call habitable is wholly uninhabitable for the majority of other types of life, and what they call habitable is entirely uninhabitable to anything on Earth), but I don't think any of my other speculations on this issue say much about God's existence, or the plausibility the he became flesh and died on a tree to bear the curse of sin and save humanity from death.

I try to take the approach that I'm a missionary wherever I go. The gym is certainly an environment where I want to foster relationships and hopefully have theological conversations with people. My experience in personal training helps with this. I used to be terrified of approaching anyone in the gym. Now it's normal for me to say hi to people. This evening another trainer, myself, and 4 others (1 Christian, 3 non-Christian) were all talking about how submission works inside Christian marriage.
    You BJJ submissions?
    Pro MMA record: 0-0-0

How could they see anything but the shadows if they were never allowed to move their heads? - Plato

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Some eloquent speech is as effective as magic. - Prophet Mohammed

When y'all get a chance check out my friend's YouTube page. He is a genius (in his own way) and has a great voice.

Originally Posted by boseador View Post
    You BJJ submissions?
    We actually have BJJ classes at the gym. I've never practiced it, though, so I guess I'm stuck usurping authoratah.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/a...51438278772173

My ******** newsfeed has been inundated with people decrying bad issues because they're not the "real issues." This seems to be a good response to that.

sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sexybrah14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thefederalist .c om/2015/07/30/planned-parenthood-hacking-sure-looks-like-an-orchestrated-pr-stunt/

Planned parenthood claims it was hacked by "extremists" but it's actually just a hoax!

thefederalist .c om/2015/07/30/planned-parenthood-hacking-sure-looks-like-an-orchestrated-pr-stunt/

Planned parenthood claims it was hacked by "extremists" but it's actually just a hoax!

Wow.

You see how they're also doing everything they can to block the 3rd video from being released, because now they're considering the dead babies as "patients".

Hope to get back to posting the daily psalms tomorrow. Been extremely busy the last few days.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Wow.

You see how they're also doing everything they can to block the 3rd video from being released, because now they're considering the dead babies as "patients".

Hope to get back to posting the daily psalms tomorrow. Been extremely busy the last few days.
    I love the twitter comments. Somehow hackers forgot to hack the donation page.

Page 93 of 215 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 193 ... LastLast