meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

weight vs height for females

I'm 5'5 around 127 pounds (at the end of my bulk, about to cut!)

I've noticed a lot of confusion about ideal height and weight and wanted to hear some opinions. After some research, I've noticed that some of the most popular female bodybuilders (bikini competitors) are at my height but at 115 pounds. Yet, if you look around the forums, most people would say this is underweight. I understand that they are not 115 pounds during off-season but they probably only fluctuate around 5-10 pounds between seasons.

I'm wondering because I'm starting my cut for summer and am trying to figure out my goal weight.

Feel free to express your opinion!

maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000) maeva27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wondering the same thing. But from what I've seen, most bikini competitors around our height were around 120-125 pounds in season... I don't remember seeing 115 but I might be wrong!

I know I am just skinny at 115 pounds, even at a low body fat... So I don't know but 115 does sound low. And who knows what's the actual number on the scale of those competitors... Hard to say!
    Mom of two boys. Natural competitor.

IDFA Pro Bikini
    UFE Elite Bikini/Fitness

Registered User muscleandginger's Avatar
    muscleandginger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would reccomend not even looking at the scale. I'm 5' 2" and I am now 138 but still a size 2. My weight hardly seems to budge much during prep and I tend to hold water until I start cutting down on salt. Everyone is different but honestly the number on the scale means very little for bodybuilders. You can't compare yourself to others, the mirror doesn't lie though, it's all
    about the changes you can see. And if you gain muscle your weight might go up but you might look and feel better.

Registered Schmoozer LollyLifts2015's Avatar
    LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^^^ Bingo-bango!

I think a lot of people go off BMI charts to tell whether or not someone is within a healthy range. However, BMI charts do not tell you that you're lighter or heavier due to MUSCLE MASS. It doesn't tell you how fit or healthy you are. It's simply a tool; an estimate; but by no means no way to gauge overall health.

Everyone here on BB could compare stats all day: we could compare height to weight ratio: but it wouldn't tell us bone-density or muscle mass.

If you feel good, if you look good (to yourself - that's what matters ), than who cares what someone your height weights? They may have some crazy bones up on that skin and no musclesies.
    ❤ Humor iss all in the arm. ❤
    ❤ I'm just here for the snacks. ❤

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LollyLifts2015 View Post
    ^^^^^ Bingo-bango!

I think a lot of people go off BMI charts to tell whether or not someone is within a healthy range. However, BMI charts do not tell you that you're lighter or heavier due to MUSCLE MASS. It doesn't tell you how fit or healthy you are. It's simply a tool; an estimate; but by no means no way to gauge overall health.

Everyone here on BB could compare stats all day: we could compare height to weight ratio: but it wouldn't tell us bone-density or muscle mass.

If you feel good, if you look good (to yourself - that's what matters ), than who cares what someone your height weights? They may have some crazy bones up on that skin and no musclesies.
    BMI is an excellent tool.... it was never intended to "gauge overall health" it was developed to show risk relative to mass and disease. Many Many Many studies have shown that the BMI scale is a great indcator of risk of relative disease. Being too low or too high has the SAME amount of risk factor. This is why it is a good idea to bring total mass down if you over and bring mass up if you are under. Also, this is why we have been recently seeing some of the very large (250 - 300lb) bodybuilders dying. Because the mass still has effect on their risk of health.

Also, having "dense bones" also is not going to add so much weight to your frame that you would be exeptionally heavier than someone else.

By DEXA, I have been clocked at some very high bone density (2 standard deviations ABOVE my age) yet my weight is still within the same parameters as someone with less dense bones. I may be slightly heavier, but my ideal weight is still the same.

To the OP, you lack muscle mass and have nothing to cut at this point. You could only cut 7 pounds and that is not going to get you the look you want. Most bikini girls will need to step on stage 118 - 125 at 5'5. If you dont look the way you want at your current stats... its lack of muscle not too much fat that is the issue.

I would suggest doing a bulk for about a year, add 10 -15 pounds at least and then cut back down. You would be more content with the look you have then.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Babygirl95 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think the numbers really matter, everyone's body has a different composition and hold weight differently.
    Maybe just start your cut and base it off how you feel and how you look? I think setting a goal weight is kind of pointless !
    Bulking & Lifting :)

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by meganhowe View Post
    I understand that they are not 115 pounds during off-season but they probably only fluctuate around 5-10 pounds between seasons.
    No, that's not true. That 115 lb stage weight is completely dry and depleted. A solid 5 lbs down just in water weight which they gain back immediately after the show. Then, as they compete at 12% or less, most of them go back up to at least 18% between shows, and many go much higher than that if they are serious about adding muscle/filling out/bringing up lagging body parts in between shows. I believe a weight swing of 10-20 lbs is not uncommon.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50) meganhowe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    BMI is an excellent tool.... it was never intended to "gauge overall health" it was developed to show risk relative to mass and disease. Many Many Many studies have shown that the BMI scale is a great indcator of risk of relative disease. Being too low or too high has the SAME amount of risk factor. This is why it is a good idea to bring total mass down if you over and bring mass up if you are under. Also, this is why we have been recently seeing some of the very large (250 - 300lb) bodybuilders dying. Because the mass still has effect on their risk of health.

Also, having "dense bones" also is not going to add so much weight to your frame that you would be exeptionally heavier than someone else.

By DEXA, I have been clocked at some very high bone density (2 standard deviations ABOVE my age) yet my weight is still within the same parameters as someone with less dense bones. I may be slightly heavier, but my ideal weight is still the same.

To the OP, you lack muscle mass and have nothing to cut at this point. You could only cut 7 pounds and that is not going to get you the look you want. Most bikini girls will need to step on stage 118 - 125 at 5'5. If you dont look the way you want at your current stats... its lack of muscle not too much fat that is the issue.

I would suggest doing a bulk for about a year, add 10 -15 pounds at least and then cut back down. You would be more content with the look you have then.
    I did about a two month bulk and gained around 5 pounds. The only reason I'm starting to cut is because I want to be a bit more leaner for summer. I plan on bulking for about 10 months after!
    Just wanted to see how my weight compares to others.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I agree and well said.

OP I'm not sure if this will help you, but most of the girls I work with in bikini and figure between a height of 5'5"-5'6" are normally starting a comp diet with typical weight ranges between 135-145+lbs.

The other issue is this supposedly staying between 5-10 lbs in the offseason above your comp weight. Good luck with that because it's pretty unrealistic with most normal/healthy competitors. It's very difficult trying to make decent gains or bring up lagging bodyparts trying to stay that lean.

I myself stay around 15 lbs above my comp weight. That seems to be my sweet spot and the bit of extra fluff doesn't bother me and I feel good.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I agree and well said.

OP I'm not sure if this will help you, but most of the girls I work with in bikini and figure between a height of 5'5"-5'6" are normally starting a comp diet with typical weight ranges between 135-145+lbs.

The other issue is this supposedly staying between 5-10 lbs in the offseason above your comp weight. Good luck with that because it's pretty unrealistic with most normal/healthy competitors. It's very difficult trying to make decent gains or bring up lagging bodyparts trying to stay that lean.

I myself stay around 15 lbs above my comp weight. That seems to be my sweet spot and the bit of extra fluff doesn't bother me and I feel good.
    Yes that does help! I came to that "5-10 lbs" number just based off of what popular competitors say but since we have to be realistic you're probably right haha

thanks for the help!

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did about a two month bulk and gained around 5 pounds. The only reason I'm starting to cut is because I want to be a bit more leaner for summer. I plan on bulking for about 10 months after!
    Just wanted to see how my weight compares to others.
    There is no such thing as a 2 month bulk.... 5 pounds is mostly going to be water and glycogen...maybe 1 pound of muscle if you were lucky. Definitely not enough time to really gain any mass.

Again, you have nothing to "cut".... it would better serve you to eat at maintenence and do a recomp for summer and then bulk after. Cutting is going in the opposite direction of where you want to be.

If you do cut, you risk losing more mass and simply spinning your wheels, losing valuable time and not making progress.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

There is no such thing as a 2 month bulk.... 5 pounds is mostly going to be water and glycogen...maybe 1 pound of muscle if you were lucky. Definitely not enough time to really gain any mass.

Again, you have nothing to "cut".... it would better serve you to eat at maintenence and do a recomp for summer and then bulk after. Cutting is going in the opposite direction of where you want to be.

If you do cut, you risk losing more mass and simply spinning your wheels, losing valuable time and not making progress.
    I wouldn't say that "there's no such thing as a 2 month bulk." Many bodybuilders go through mini cycles. Even if it's a two month bulk... it's still progress and proud of myself for going from having an eating disorder to being happy about gaining weight.

Also not cutting for the whole summer. Probably cut about 5 lbs and recomp for the summer, like you said.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wouldn't say that "there's no such thing as a 2 month bulk." Many bodybuilders go through mini cycles. Even if it's a two month bulk... it's still progress and proud of myself for going from having an eating disorder to being happy about gaining weight.

Also not cutting for the whole summer. Probably cut about 5 lbs and recomp for the summer, like you said.
    Bodybuilders who are advanced and already have the muscle foundation built can get away with using mini cycles. When you're just getting started with the building process that route is not for you.

You're quite lean and your best option would be to stay at maintenance, lift your ass off and enjoy your summer. Don't cut, trust me you'll be pissed at yourself if you do because it's going to set you back.

You've worked hard for it so far and you don't want to lose it.

beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000) beyond09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bodybuilders who are advanced and already have the muscle foundation built can get away with using mini cycles. When you're just getting started with the building process that route is not for you.
    Not to mention that these bodybuilders doing "mini-cycles" are probably also "cycling" other things...
    GAT JetFuel Pyro Log (Finished): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165341291

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Babygirl95 View Post
    I don't think the numbers really matter, everyone's body has a different composition and hold weight differently.
    Maybe just start your cut and base it off how you feel and how you look? I think setting a goal weight is kind of pointless !
    Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no ideal weight based on height alone, every body is different. Just keep working on it until you feel like it's right for you.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no ideal weight based on height alone, every body is different. Just keep working on it until you feel like it's right for you.
    There's no ideal weight, but there are generally undesirable low and high ends for height, especially if the individual does not carry a lot of muscle, in which case the high end might go up, but the low side will pretty much always be unhealthy.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    There's no ideal weight, but there are generally undesirable low and high ends for height, especially if the individual does not carry a lot of muscle, in which case the high end might go up, but the low side will pretty much always be unhealthy.
    Whoops, that didn't come out right, I meant more of an ideal range, than a specific number. Two people at the same height can have different ranges of ideal/healthy weight depending on how they carry excess fat, their muscle mass, etc.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with the ladies also! You don't have anything to cut, and eating to maintain and build muscle would be a better option for you.

I'm 5'2" and 138ish as well and that's the heaviest i've been but i'm still wearing my size 2 jeans and am holding significantly more muscle. All methods of measuring your process are important, including the scale - but also the way your clothes fit, measurements, photos, strength in your lifts, your energy level, etc.
    _____
    Pn1 Certified Nutrition Coach
    ISSA Certified CFT
    Instagram: @makenzie_costley
    www.makenziecostley.com

Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    Agreed.

Honestly, I don't need to know how much you weigh. I can look at a set of progress pics that tell me the whole story. I'm not going to sit back being a cheerleader telling someone to cut when there's nothing to cut.

Agreed.

Honestly, I don't need to know how much you weigh. I can look at a set of progress pics that tell me the whole story. I'm not going to sit back being a cheerleader telling someone to cut when there's nothing to cut.
    Thank you for the advice! Seems like recomp is the most ideal plan for me throughout the summer.

Agreed.

Agreed.

But I do like to look at weight, height, bmi, macros, metabolism etc... just personal preference, more because i think it can be helpful and i find it all interesting... but correct that pics tell more of the story.

I also wont tell someone its a good idea to cut when it is not warrented. In this instance...cutting 5 pounds is a mental block and will not have a great impact on the physique look.

Although I fail to see how this thread related to the one OP made about "not needing to always cut".....
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Agreed.

But I do like to look at weight, height, bmi, macros, metabolism etc... just personal preference, more because i think it can be helpful and i find it all interesting... but correct that pics tell more of the story.

I also wont tell someone its a good idea to cut when it is not warrented. In this instance...cutting 5 pounds is a mental block and will not have a great impact on the physique look.

Although I fail to see how this thread related to the one OP made about "not needing to always cut".....
    I made that post for the young ladies that have trouble with the idea of bulking, which was me not too long ago.

This specific post was just out of curiosity

Agreed.

Understood and I do the same. I made the point about looking at pics because we have a few people in here saying, "Height and weight doesn't matter, so sure go ahead a cut." Did anyone take a moment to actually look at her pics?

Obviously I want what's best for a member and cutting for the OP is not what's best.

Understood and I do the same. I made the point about looking at pics because we have a few people in here saying, "Height and weight doesn't matter, so sure go ahead a cut." Did anyone take a moment to actually look at her pics?

Obviously I want what's best for a member and cutting for the OP is not what's best.
    Thank you for the advice and the positive support! (hard to find nowadays... especially here)
    Student at Texas A&M (class of '17)

MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I agree and well said.

Yep I am 5'6, last stage weight about 123 and could have cut a little more. I bulked for six months to 142. It really was not a huge difference, but during cut now I have a good extra 7 lbs of muscle...

Do a bulk. Build some muscle, accept some fat will come, but it comes off much easier than you would think.
    2014 1st place Bikini Master's Northern Canadian Classic
    2014 4th place Bikini Master's Western Canadian Naturals
    2015 4th place CFBB/IFBB BC Provincials

Upcoming:
    2015 CFBB/IFBB Canadian Nationals - Pro Card

@fawnlavonne
    www.********.com/pages/Fawn-Lavonne-Bikini-Competitor/1498615020387842