Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Leaning out for bikini and retaining muscle??

Hello, I am 8weeks out from my first bikini competition. I am doing my own meal prep, I have a training cert and an education in nutrition. However I am doing this on my own and with my lack of experience doing this, there is guesswork. I started at 133lbs and after 4 weeks of dieting, I am 125.5lbs. Ideally I would be at 14%body fat at this weight, had I not lost any muscle. Since I am clearly not at 14% BF, I think losing muscle is a major issue for me right now.

My question for all of you: How do I retain my muscle in this process?? My macros are 130gram protein daily, 75grams carbs, 55grams fat. I eat 5meals, once every three hrs. I train 6days a week, and do 25min cardio 4xweekly.

Should I begin carb cycling? I feel like when I prep I tend to lose muscle and begin to look "skinny fat" or as though I don't work out! I did fasted cardio for a few days, and it made me look more cut. However with the fasted cardio, I began dropping 0.8lb a day! Any insight from other bikini girls or coaches would be so greatly appreciated! Sincerely thank you!

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If I'm not mistaken isn't 125.5 lbs @ 5'8" really low even for stage weight? Your problem may not be retaining muscle but not having enough to start with. I'm curious what the more experienced ladies have to say

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am with Mtnliones - you should be at stage weight in bikini at those stats or pretty darn close. If your losing weight to fast either up your intake or reduce your activity.

Pics would be more helpful.
    Last edited by DieselsMom; 03-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes, I suspect that you have very little muscle at that weight and your proposed body fat percentage. How are you estimating body fat? That's another thing that matters. You may not have been where you thought when this process began, and you may not be where you think you are at this point.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    125# at your height is getting pretty low. If you aren't already looking stage ready at this point you may not have enough muscle to support the look.

How long have you been lifting and how long have you spent trying to gain weight/muscle?

And those 0.8 pounds per day you were losing...were they in the beginning of your diet? I'd imagine that you would drop some water weight fairly rapidly when dropping into a calorie deficit. The rate of loss should definitely slow down as you become leaner.

We ensure muscle retention by eating adequate protein and lifting heavy and intensely.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Francescarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been lifting for 4 years. I was around 20% BF four weeks ago at 133... 14% wouldve put me around 126. I was 147lb last year, and I wasn't sure how or why but I gradually have lost alot of weight in the past year, in spite of still consistently training, eating. Before weight lifting I was very thin, and genetically so is my family. This will be my first time going on stage, but I have attempted prepping for a show in the past, I looked very skinny and not tone by the end, my coach had me on 1050calories a day. It didn't go well. I am anal about my diet and protein intake, training hard. Here are progress pictures from last week and then today.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Francescarose View Post
    I have been lifting for 4 years. I was around 20% BF four weeks ago at 133... 14% wouldve put me around 126. I was 147lb last year, and I wasn't sure how or why but I gradually have lost alot of weight in the past year, in spite of still consistently training, eating. Before weight lifting I was very thin, and genetically so is my family. This will be my first time going on stage, but I have attempted prepping for a show in the past, I looked very skinny and not tone by the end, my coach had me on 1050calories a day. It didn't go well. I am anal about my diet and protein intake, training hard. Here are progress pictures from last week and then today.
    Oh one other detail: I guess my own body fat according to how I look. It could be inaccurate.

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You looked skinny because you don't have the muscle foundation to support a "denser" look. I would say other then some tightening up your pretty much there for most shows - not sure what show your doing. You can end up being too lean as well which gives you that stringy look on stage. My opinion would be to try and stay same weight, back off cardio and do more heavy weights if your serious about getting on stage in a couple of months. I can't give better advice but maybe see if Kimm or RockAngel will read this thread and help you out. I think you need to do a serious bulk to get the look your going for and build some muscle.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hello, I am 8weeks out from my first bikini competition. I am doing my own meal prep, I have a training cert and an education in nutrition. However I am doing this on my own and with my lack of experience doing this, there is guesswork. I started at 133lbs and after 4 weeks of dieting, I am 125.5lbs. Ideally I would be at 14%body fat at this weight, had I not lost any muscle. Since I am clearly not at 14% BF, I think losing muscle is a major issue for me right now.

My question for all of you: How do I retain my muscle in this process?? My macros are 130gram protein daily, 75grams carbs, 55grams fat. I eat 5meals, once every three hrs. I train 6days a week, and do 25min cardio 4xweekly.

Should I begin carb cycling? I feel like when I prep I tend to lose muscle and begin to look "skinny fat" or as though I don't work out! I did fasted cardio for a few days, and it made me look more cut. However with the fasted cardio, I began dropping 0.8lb a day! Any insight from other bikini girls or coaches would be so greatly appreciated! Sincerely thank you!
    You dont have the muscle mass to compete yet.

At this point, you have 3 pounds that you can safely lose before hitting the underweight stage. Also consider that most girls your height will be coming in 129 - 135 lbs, you will not be at a point that you will be competitive.

So if you must do this show, You SEVERELY need to get the cals and macros up. My current macros are 130p/135c/35f.... your macros are lower than mine and you have a good 10 pounds and 9 inches on me!!

You lost too much weight too fast and thats why you didnt retain muscle. You should have been losing 1 pound a week or less preferably.

Your training is too much. too much cardio to begin with and why are you lifting 6 days a week??? A good program would have you doing 4 - 5 days max and less cardio.

The way you retain muscle on a cut is to keep protein high and cals high, lift heavy, and apply cardio appropriately.

At this point I would advise to cancel the show, and spend a long time building muscle. First get your body ready.... then pick a show, not the other way around.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    You dont have the muscle mass to compete yet.

At this point, you have 3 pounds that you can safely lose before hitting the underweight stage. Also consider that most girls your height will be coming in 129 - 135 lbs, you will not be at a point that you will be competitive.

So if you must do this show, You SEVERELY need to get the cals and macros up. My current macros are 130p/135c/35f.... your macros are lower than mine and you have a good 10 pounds and 9 inches on me!!

You lost too much weight too fast and thats why you didnt retain muscle. You should have been losing 1 pound a week or less preferably.

Your training is too much. too much cardio to begin with and why are you lifting 6 days a week??? A good program would have you doing 4 - 5 days max and less cardio.

The way you retain muscle on a cut is to keep protein high and cals high, lift heavy, and apply cardio appropriately.

At this point I would advise to cancel the show, and spend a long time building muscle. First get your body ready.... then pick a show, not the other way around.
    ^ this. I would not do the show.

For future reference, the slower the cut, the better. I've also seen some stuff from Brad Schoenfeld that suggests higher protein macros when cutting can be more beneficial to muscle retention. Sometning to consider for future cuts.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    E-L speaks to this in the macro sticky. It's what I do when cutting. I did my best and easiest cut when I did RFL which was about 2g protein per pound weight.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MilaGroski is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DieselsMom View Post
    I am with Mtnliones - you should be at stage weight in bikini at those stats or pretty darn close. If your losing weight to fast either up your intake or reduce your activity.

Pics would be more helpful.
    I would stop your cardio and rely on heavy intense lifting for a few weeks. See where that takes you...
    2014 1st place Bikini Master's Northern Canadian Classic
    2014 4th place Bikini Master's Western Canadian Naturals
    2015 4th place CFBB/IFBB BC Provincials

Upcoming:
    2015 CFBB/IFBB Canadian Nationals - Pro Card

@fawnlavonne
    www.********.com/pages/Fawn-Lavonne-Bikini-Competitor/1498615020387842