Thread: Workout advice

JazzyJon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout advice

Hello,

I've been working out 3 days a week solidly for three months now. I weigh 155 pounds, 6ft and am skinny. I have listed the routine that I do below. I have noticed slight gains, mainly in my biceps and small gains in chest and back.

My goal is to be Usain Bolt's size.

Tuesday:

22 kg dumbbell in each hand chest press 5x5 (I started on 12.5kg in each hand)

24kg one-armed bent over dumbbell rows 5x5 (I started on 15kg)

30kg barbell military press 5x5 (I started on 20kg)

16kg dumbbell curls 6x2 (Started on 10kg)

16kg standing triceps extensions 6x2 (Started on 10kg)

Friday:

3 sets of 6 pull ups

20kg in each hand dumbbell incline bench press 5x5 (Started on 10kg)

24kg one armed bent over dumbbell rows 5x5

30kg military press 5x5

14kg Hammer curls 6x2

16kg triceps extensions 6x2

Sunday:

22kg in each hand dumbbell chest press 5x5

24kg one armed dumbbell bent over rows 5x5

30kg military press 5x5

16kg dumbbell curls 6x2

16kg standing triceps extensions 6x2

I also do press ups/sit ups and chin ups each workout.

I have only just started to work legs and work them each time I workout now. My main priority is on upper body however as I used to play a lot of football so they are slightly more developed.

Should I continue with this routine or change completely? After about two more months I was thinking of doing a 4 day split of lower body and upper body.

Just because I still don't have much of a chest I'm not sure if I'm doing enough to work it.

If I do stick with this routine should I change the rep range to 8 reps of 4 sets or is 5x5 better?

Also does it matter that I do the same exercises every time.

I would be grateful for any other workout suggestions.

Thanks for your time and help,

Jon

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Who cares about the rep range if you don't have the program down.

What is your overall goal. To look like Bolt or be strong and fast like Bolt?

Speed is about strength. You need to get your strength up first.

What are your squat numbers, deadlift, press etc...

In my opinion, without a goal, its hard to zero in on a program that will best suit your needs.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. My goal is to look like Usain Bolt, I don't want to be a body builder just have some muscle and definition. My lower back is a bit dodgy so I don't deadlift and I have only just started squats. I only dumbbell press because I don't have a spotter but i started on 10jg dumbbells in each hand and now press 22kg in each hand.

I just wasn't sure if I'm on the right tracks with this program. I've done it for three months so I wasn't sure if I would be able to move to a more advance program more specific to my goals

Thanks for the help

Jon

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Usain bolts i bet hovers around 200lbs.

Why is your back dodgy?

If you're doing Squats, with proper form/technique and to depth it seems to me your back should be just fine. What part of your back are you not working when you squat? See where I'm going.

As for the program, who cares if you don't have a spotter, use a barbell for the main lifts and dumbbells for some assistance work. Does your gym not have a rack you can press in with a barbell?

Its not the weight of the dumbbells as you listed in your program above (part of the reason it makes it so hard to read) that matters, but the exercises you choose for you goals.

Pick a goal. Pick a program to meet your goals. Stick to it.

Your diet is going to go a long way to helping you achieve your goals.

It's just my lower back seems to ache sometimes, I think it's to do with my posture which I'm trying to correct but I'm just a bit weary of doing deadlifts because I've heard a lot of people say they can rip your lower back. And I've literally only just started to squat with a bar this past week. I've been doing body weight squats to get the form down. Nutritional wise I'm still learning a lot but I'm trying to eat a lot more carlories and the right amount of protein, carbs etc.

Would you know of a program that would be good for me to follow to reach my goal in the future because I'm so confused. Every article and piece of advice seems to contradict one another.

Thanks again for the help

Originally Posted by JazzyJon View Post
    It's just my lower back seems to ache sometimes, I think it's to do with my posture which I'm trying to correct but I'm just a bit weary of doing deadlifts because I've heard a lot of people say they can rip your lower back. And I've literally only just started to squat with a bar this past week. I've been doing body weight squats to get the form down. Nutritional wise I'm still learning a lot but I'm trying to eat a lot more carlories and the right amount of protein, carbs etc.

Would you know of a program that would be good for me to follow to reach my goal in the future because I'm so confused. Every article and piece of advice seems to contradict one another.

Thanks again for the help
    Who says deadlifts rip their backs? People with terrible form/technique? I've watched 65 year old guys do deadlifts and go heavy with no issues. I'm sure you can get hurt, but you can get hurt doing almost any exercise if you don't know how to perform it properly.

For a pretty basic, straight forward program that works well, I would say Wendler 5/3/1. Spend the $20, buy the E-Book, read it, ACTUALLY read it and then start asking questions.