SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Do you give "free sessions"?

At my gym, I hear trainers do this from time to time. They see someone do an exercise with bad form, they correct them, chat a little bit, and then offer them a free session so the trainer can help with their issues. I am just wondering in your experience, usually does giving a free session gain the client (whether it's right away or in the future)? What is the success rate of gaining the client this method? Obviously this is going to vary but I just want an idea as I'm trying to help my friend who is a trainer.

And as a gym client, I am very hesitant to take a free session from other trainers (unless if it's from MY trainer), because I know that their intention is to gain me as a client. However, I'm not going to ditch my trainer for others, so I don't feel I should take something from them. I wish these trainers would ask first, before doing something that comes off as soliciting someone else's client. Have you seen other trainers offer your client free sessions? How do you feel about that?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You yourself shouldn't be seeking any free session unless your unhappy with your trainer and want someone different.
    They my not know if you already have a trainer anyway.
    If they do then they are in the wrong.
    I would never give a free session anyway.
    If your established you don't need to and already have a client base.

SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SportyAndGirly is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    You yourself shouldn't be seeking any free session unless your unhappy with your trainer and want someone different.
    They my not know if you already have a trainer anyway.
    If they do then they are in the wrong.
    I would never give a free session anyway.
    If your established you don't need to and already have a client base.
    Hi Garage Rat, have you had another trainer try to solicit your client this way?

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most gym trainers do offer a short free session.
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SportyAndGirly View Post
    At my gym, I hear trainers do this from time to time. They see someone do an exercise with bad form, they correct them, chat a little bit, and then offer them a free session so the trainer can help with their issues. I am just wondering in your experience, usually does giving a free session gain the client (whether it's right away or in the future)? What is the success rate of gaining the client this method? Obviously this is going to vary but I just want an idea as I'm trying to help my friend who is a trainer.

And as a gym client, I am very hesitant to take a free session from other trainers (unless if it's from MY trainer), because I know that their intention is to gain me as a client. However, I'm not going to ditch my trainer for others, so I don't feel I should take something from them. I wish these trainers would ask first, before doing something that comes off as soliciting someone else's client. Have you seen other trainers offer your client free sessions? How do you feel about that?
    You have their intention exactly right. Free sessions = investment of time, hoping in return to add you as a client.

Just as Garage Rat mentioned....really good trainers don't offer "free sessions". For instance, my service is what it is. You don't like it? Fine, I make leaving really easy. But you won't get a "free week of training" or anything in hopes that you really like my company and sign on. I want clients who are committed already and ACTUALLY 100% want to be trained by us.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm up front about getting compensated for my time. That's it. Most people respect that, and the ones that don't you really don't want as clients anyway. But I also give them value for that time, even if it just giving them answers to questions or sending them away with things they can work on.

When I interview prospective new clients (and yes, I interview them, not the other way around) I don't charge them because it is just to meet them for 20-30 minutes and figure out if I want to work with them.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No i haven't that i know of.
    I have my own private facility.
    I also let clients know that if they aren't happy with what we're doing or want to try something different go for it.
    I have a few clients that have been with me for years some only for months.
    If they aren't satisfied then I'm not doing my job or giving them what they want.
    The client should be the ones to say no thanks.
    But i haven't trained out of a big box gym and I'm sure its pretty cut throat and every trainer for themselves which could be a big distraction.
    Like i said treat your client well enough and they will have some loyalty to you.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends. You should never rule them out because free services have their place in all businesses. They have to benefit your business and they have to not interfere with the revenue generating side of your business.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't offer free one on one sessions, but I do give free passes to my bigger group sessions. Doesn't cost me any extra time and about 30% of people end up sticking around and signing up in the group.

godaesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SportyAndGirly View Post

Success rates really depends on the trainers ability to make that connection and need for their services. A trainer has to be able to make the client experience a workout/feeling that they cant duplicate on their own. Figure when offered a free session there usually a 50/50 chance the person will show up. Of that 50% that show up pending on the prices and trainer 15-35% will actually begin to train with you. Those numbers are typical of corp gym setting like 24 hour LA gyms that require the trainers to charge the companies rate. Independent trainers who have success in the pass number will obviously be higher cause the variance of rate that can be charged. I think all trainers should offer 1 free full length session to show their value over other trainers. Its literally a matter of building up the clientele afterwards there wont be a need for you to find potential clients to train and offer free sessions because members will have already seen you work and results you give your current clients.

EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    consults are free

i don't give free sessions to new clients or to encourage them to sign up....

I am fully booked with a tenured client base and I offer free sessions for a few things. After a few months by taking the time to leave a online review, if client logs food accurately for 100 days I offer free session, free session for referrals.

These all look very nice and generous to clients but in many cases people don't take advantage of the free sessions opportunities, lol. A large percentage log their food accurately but will skip days here and there so free session does not apply to 95 out of 100 days.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most trainers do not give free sessions.

Most trainers are unsuccessful.

So, you decide.

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    when i worked at a small gym out in a small country town... sometimes.
    if i was being paid to be there, someone comes in, I ask "hey what are you training today?" and if they didn't really know what they were planning to do I'd take 'em through some stuff. I figure the more people in the gym feeling like they've been well looked after, they now know what they should be doing, they're seeing progress... the more new people want to join the gym, the more people saying nice things about me, the better for my PT business.

in THAT situation doing some free sessions is best for business.

that's not my current situation though. so no freebies and no casual sessions either.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Most trainers do not give free sessions.

So, you decide.
    lol That's not exactly correlated though.

Like saying...

Most trainers wear a shirt.

So, you decide whether to wear a shirt or not.

There's good reason on both sides. Someone starting out and building a business, there's merit in certain instances. For someone established and successful, no need.

The general public perception behind the term "free", means cheap/unvaulable/crap and they wonder why it's "free" in the first place. Things of value, generally cost you.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you work for 24 Hour Fitness, do as many free sessions as you can. Just make a conversation with the person and ask them what their goal is. If they tell you their goal, then invite them to come workout with you immediately or schedule them a time. Let them know you are focused on their goal and you would like to help them. When they show up, give them an assessment, and intense goal specific workout. If you do it right, you will look like an active trainer, and get some business. Usually that is enough to get the client to sign.

If you are independent, don't waste time with a free session, you aren't getting paid for it, and there are other ways you can demonstrate your proficiency. I would recommend a consultation instead where you really listen to the client and maybe do an assessment.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    lol That's not exactly correlated though.

Like saying...

Most trainers wear a shirt.

So, you decide whether to wear a shirt or not.

There's good reason on both sides. Someone starting out and building a business, there's merit in certain instances. For someone established and successful, no need.

The general public perception behind the term "free", means cheap/unvaulable/crap and they wonder why it's "free" in the first place. Things of value, generally cost you.
    Really? That's what it's like? Is it also like saying, 'Most trainers eat... most trainers are unsuccessful... you decide.'

Is this how you win arguments with your girlfriend?

Wearing a shirt has nothing to do with client acquisition. A much closer... and perhaps more intelligent comparison would be, 'Most trainers hate selling, thus do very little of it... most trainers are unsuccessful, you decide whether or not leaning how to sell yourself well is a good way to acquire clients.'