Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Creatinine levels

I've had numerous blood test recently (originally because I have depression and my GP wanted to check stuff). Each one shows slightly elevated creatinine - which is to be expected as I lift regularly and supplement with 5g of Creatine three times a week.

Now my life assurance company, for whom I had to have a recent medical, are asking for yet another blood test (and 24hour urine sample) as they're not happy with this borderline elevation.

What can I do to get my creatinine levels down over the next 3 days, apart from the obvious:

* Don't lift
    * Don't take any creatine
    * Drink lots of water
    * Reduce protein intake?

Any help gratefully received!

JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JungleBoots is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wheras creatine isn't an illegal substance, why does the insurance co care?

Originally Posted by ultramagnus View Post
    I've had numerous blood test recently (originally because I have depression and my GP wanted to check stuff). Each one shows slightly elevated creatinine - which is to be expected as I lift regularly and supplement with 5g of Creatine three times a week.

Now my life assurance company, for whom I had to have a recent medical, are asking for yet another blood test (and 24hour urine sample) as they're not happy with this borderline elevation.

What can I do to get my creatinine levels down over the next 3 days, apart from the obvious:

* Don't lift
    * Drink lots of water
    * Reduce protein intake?

Yes, I am an extremist. Thanks for noticing. - Ted Nugent

ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultramagnus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JungleBoots View Post
    Because high creatinine levels could be a sign of kidney disease, they don't want to insure me if I'm about to pop my clogs.

Taking Care of Business ChuckBird's Avatar
    ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had a kidney removed a few years ago. I had to lower my protein intake and stop taking creatine. I drink tons of water and my creatinine levels were pretty decent the last time I had blood work done. Take care of yourself, although mine was due to a blockage, you don't want to go through what I went through.
    Never give up.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Creatinine is a metabolite, not necessarily related to supplementation.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

rayram has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do take a lot of creatine + protein too but my doc never said anything about any of that level other than that I should keep working out to keep my kidney/liver healthy. I'd think they'd hv to specifically check for creatine to see if its level is high or low unless there is actually something wrong or your creatine intake is way too high? Btw, I do not take creatine directly but what comes with PWO supplements.

WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

* Don't lift
    * Drink lots of water
    * Reduce protein intake?

That's all you have to do. Creatinine levels will go back to normal. If they don't then you would be wise to get a follow up doc visit. No other values were out of the norm?
    BrinkZone, Where Bro-Science Got Rabies and Died!

www.BrinkZone.com

Check out my BrinkZone mini site on BB.com at:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

=> President and Founder of Shaved head with goatee Crew
    => Science over bro science Crew

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Limit your sodium and potassium intake too. I don't know how much that'll lower them in 3 days, but every little bit helps.

I know when we have inpatients whose creatinine level is too high to get an MRI exam with contrast, they aggressively hydrate them to get those levels down, and it works very well.
    From unappealing to slightly less unappealing - A QUEST!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155671723

Originally Posted by robosphere View Post
    Limit your sodium and potassium intake too. I don't know how much that'll lower them in 3 days, but every little bit helps.

I know when we have inpatients whose creatinine level is too high to get an MRI exam with contrast, they aggressively hydrate them to get those levels down, and it works very well.
    Thanks everyone - really helpful! I'll steer clear of the weights, drink a ton and hope for the best!

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Update this after you get your results. I'm interested to hear how it went.

Update this after you get your results. I'm interested to hear how it went.
    Yeah will do - I feel like I've been ambushed a bit by the docs (only heard about the new blood test yesterday - Tuesday - and it's on Friday) so not sure if it's enough time to get the levels down significantly, but I'll give it my best shot.

If docs would actually talk to their patients, a lot of taxpayers' money could be saved.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That's all you have to do. Creatinine levels will go back to normal. If they don't then you would be wise to get a follow up doc visit. No other values were out of the norm?
    ^^^

When I reviewed the results of my blood test with my doctor, she pointed to the slightly elevated creatinine. I told the doctor I was taking the supplement creatine. The doctor's reply was that explains the slight elevation, then it is not an issue.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WillBrink has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    ^^^

When I reviewed the results of my blood test with my doctor, she pointed to the slightly elevated creatinine. I told the doctor I was taking the supplement creatine. The doctor's reply was that explains the slight elevation, then it is not an issue.
    Props to that doctor as most don't know that, and some even think creatine is a negative to your health and liver/kidney function to this day.
    BrinkZone, Where Bro-Science Got Rabies and Died!

www.BrinkZone.com

Check out my BrinkZone mini site on BB.com at:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink.htm

=> President and Founder of Shaved head with goatee Crew
    => Science over bro science Crew

Props to that doctor as most don't know that, and some even think creatine is a negative to your health and liver/kidney function to this day.
    Yes, my previous GP told me to stop taking creatine as it's bad for your kidneys. SMH

This was the same GP that told me I had a kidney abnormality from birth - I didn't, they'd mixed my records up.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My doctor is very understanding of my bodybuilding training. Plus she has a small finger with no long nail for the prostate exam.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Ultramagnus, how did this whole thing turn out? Did your levels go down at all?

Ultramagnus, how did this whole thing turn out? Did your levels go down at all?
    Thanks for checking back - I'm actually ringing for my blood test results tomorrow, so I'll post an update.

Alright, got my blood test results back as 'normal and satisfactory' - well pleased!

So it looks like, as i suspected, my creatinine levels were slightly elevated for obvious reasons.

If anyone else is in this position, here's what I did for 4 days prior to the blood test, and a week prior to the 24 hour urine test:

* No creatine
    * Lower protein intake
    * Drink gallons of water
    * No lifting

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

* Don't lift
    * Drink lots of water
    * Reduce protein intake?

I think it's pretty common for people with high protein consumption to have higher creatinine levels (I have them too). The problem is the obtusity of the cookie cutter medical guidelines. It's like BMI, if you have a lot of muscle, your BMI will be high. Does that make you obese? Quite the contrary, but the guidelines say X and no good common sense is allowed.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Also, good docs will look at Bun : creatinine ratio as a glimpse as to proper function. Both my BUN and creatnine are elevated on every physical ...along with other things like liver values...etc. All normal for people who train.

The thing is, you cant look at any test value by itself. Looking at it in relation to other numbers will give you the full picture. You can say that all you want, but an insurance company is just checking boxes and probably dont care. Hell....they refer to bmi...etc. Things that are meaningless except in examining large populations and not individual cases.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Fat Ass not a option! 21infantry's Avatar
    21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 21infantry is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bingo, docs don't use common sense. In fact there are few studies on people who lift are there supposed values. I forgot what its called but I had extremely elevated liver blood readings after weight lifting. At the time I couldn't figure it out they where ordering panel after panel on me seeing if I had hepatitis, cancer or janis. I was freaking out then took a step back and said what have I been doing differently lately, and lifting weights was the answer. Found a few sites where lifters where complaining about elevated blood levels and Mark Riptoe just said this is normal. Told this information to about five doctors, they all disregarded it. Just like Riptoe said after 3 weeks blood back to normal.
    Current Maxes 6/10/2015 and End of year Goals

Bench 260/300 *RTS CREW*
    Squat 345/405 *Bombed First Meet Crew*
    Dead 440/500

Super_E has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_E has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_E has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_E has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_E has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man when I first when in the USMC this happened to me the meps doc took one look at me and said go home sit in front of the TV for a week with a bag of patato chips and a pizza and come back in a week and you will be ok.

UPDATE:

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but my doc also got me to do a 24hr urine test at the time of my last blood test. While the receptionist at the docs did indeed say my blood levels were 'normal and satisfactory', I subsequently got a phone call from my GP saying that he's referring the U&E and blood results to a kidney specialist at the hospital.

I should remind you all, that as I suspected, this extra scrutiny was due to my life insurance company being extra cautious.

So, I waited 3 weeks to hear what the specialist had to say, and heard back last night via the GP.

I made sure the GP passed on the following information to the kidney specialist:

* I lift (currently training for a strongman competition)
    * I have a high protein diet
    * I supplement with creatine

This information was KEY. The specialist came back and said that *taking the above into account* my creatinine levels were as expected.

THE TAKEAWAY:
    Always disclose everything about your lifestyle to your GP when getting bloods/U&E tested. I wasn't clear enough, it turns out, and while I told the blood taking nurse all this stuff, and she recorded it, my GP hadn't read it.

Complete pain in the arse, but I'm over the moon that I'm actually healthy and my kidneys are fine! Now where's that creatine...

JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JediRN has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is an indicator for kidney impairment/failure and of course insurance companies want to know how expensive you will be to cover.

Good info ITT.
    A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Muhammad Ali

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 21infantry View Post
    Bingo, docs don't use common sense. In fact there are few studies on people who lift are there supposed values. I forgot what its called but I had extremely elevated liver blood readings after weight lifting. At the time I couldn't figure it out they where ordering panel after panel on me seeing if I had hepatitis, cancer or janis. I was freaking out then took a step back and said what have I been doing differently lately, and lifting weights was the answer. Found a few sites where lifters where complaining about elevated blood levels and Mark Riptoe just said this is normal. Told this information to about five doctors, they all disregarded it. Just like Riptoe said after 3 weeks blood back to normal.
    Its not about common sense its about due diligence. Having elevated liver function tests, creatinine etc are signs of potentially serious diseases. The minor inconvenience and expense associated with repeating these simple tests pales in comparison to the expense, inconvenience, and massive decrease in YOUR quality of life if an important diagnosis is missed or delayed.

Its easy to be caviler when your not responsible. Ever here the phase "courage of the non combatant"? Its very easy to be critical when you don't have any skin in the game.

Repeating blood tests after supplements and training has stopped is good medicine.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Same here. I have two doctors and get 2-3 blood tests per year since I'm on trt. One doctor gets worried and says it's not the lifting, protein and creatine. The other doctor says that is normal for what I'm doing.

andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've had very high creatinine levels ever since I started powerlifting. The "normal" ranges are not established based upon people who bodybuild and powerlift. If you lift weights, you are not "normal" as far as those ranges go. The fact that you have higher than average muscle mass, consume more protein, as well as the fact that your muscles are getting torn up when you lift (which I understand also produces serum creatinine) means the range is far less meaningful (nevermind the fact you supplement with Creatine). In fact, there is a much higher "normal" SCr range for African-Americans. Apparently, that's attributable to difference in average muscle mass for African-Americans vs. non-African-Americans.

Multiple times I had to take the test where you pee into a bucket all day to show that my kidney function is normal. I've had ultrasounds of my kidneys done multiple times. All due to my prior doctor telling me I was in kidney failure and scaring the living **** out of me, multiple times. Nevermind at the time I was competing multiple times a year and beating the **** out of my 30-something year old body (and loving every minute of it). I agree that it's best to play it safe when it comes to your kidneys, but insurers and most docs need to understand what this test actually measures and what other factors may contribute to a high SCr.

I now see a sports medicine doctor who doesn't bat an eyelash at the creatinine number. And that's because he actually knows what he's talking about.

Sorry for the rant, this subject really drives me bonkers. Glad things worked out for you!

andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andhen2003 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Oh, and one other thing. I bet they took a second look at your 24 hour piss test because the overall amount of creatinine in your (large) urine sample was high. That number is really not relevant - it's your clearance number that is relevant. If your SCr numbers are high, then the amount of Creatinine in your piss SHOULD be high. It means your kidneys are working and clearing the appropriate amount of Creatinine out of your blood. But again, a lot of docs don't understand what seems like common sense to me about this test too.

/END RANT

Originally Posted by andhen2003 View Post
    I've had very high creatinine levels ever since I started powerlifting. The "normal" ranges are not established based upon people who bodybuild and powerlift. If you lift weights, you are not "normal" as far as those ranges go. The fact that you have higher than average muscle mass, consume more protein, as well as the fact that your muscles are getting torn up when you lift (which I understand also produces serum creatinine) means the range is far less meaningful (nevermind the fact you supplement with Creatine). In fact, there is a much higher "normal" SCr range for African-Americans. Apparently, that's attributable to difference in average muscle mass for African-Americans vs. non-African-Americans.

Multiple times I had to take the test where you pee into a bucket all day to show that my kidney function is normal. I've had ultrasounds of my kidneys done multiple times. All due to my prior doctor telling me I was in kidney failure and scaring the living **** out of me, multiple times. Nevermind at the time I was competing multiple times a year and beating the **** out of my 30-something year old body (and loving every minute of it). I agree that it's best to play it safe when it comes to your kidneys, but insurers and most docs need to understand what this test actually measures and what other factors may contribute to a high SCr.

I now see a sports medicine doctor who doesn't bat an eyelash at the creatinine number. And that's because he actually knows what he's talking about.

Sorry for the rant, this subject really drives me bonkers. Glad things worked out for you!

paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by andhen2003 View Post

This drives me crazy also.. A couple years ago at an annual physical with a new doctor, my creatinine level was a couple of points high, as was my BUN level.. I had been supplementing daily with Creatine and also lifting daily and supplementing with whey. When the PCP saw the results, even though the levels were only slightly elevated, he told me I was in kidney failure. When I explained the supplementing I had been doing, he relaxed and told me to restest in 6 mos. I decided to lay off the creatine, as I have until today, and my levels have returned to normal. However, Id like to start reusing it. My fear is this: Creatinine is the waste product of normal muscle metabolism. It is the kidney's job to filter it out.. The theory is, if there is elevated creatinine in the body, the kidneys must be underfunctioning since the normal kidney will keep levels from being elevated. Ok, we we come back with , 'yes, but Im supplementing with 5gr creatine daily.. That should explain to you why its byproduct is testing elevated'.... But, isnt it possible that the extra work the kidneys must do to try and eliminate the creatinine is putting an unnatural stress on them? Is it a good idea to work them this hard such that they are unable to remove the excess creatinine?

If I could be sure that the extra creatinine wont harm the kidneys over a long time, Id start creatine up again.. Thoughts?
    Paul E

Originally Posted by paul e View Post
    This drives me crazy also.. A couple years ago at an annual physical with a new doctor, my creatinine level was a couple of points high, as was my BUN level.. I had been supplementing daily with Creatine and also lifting daily and supplementing with whey. When the PCP saw the results, even though the levels were only slightly elevated, he told me I was in kidney failure. When I explained the supplementing I had been doing, he relaxed and told me to restest in 6 mos. I decided to lay off the creatine, as I have until today, and my levels have returned to normal. However, Id like to start reusing it. My fear is this: Creatinine is the waste product of normal muscle metabolism. It is the kidney's job to filter it out.. The theory is, if there is elevated creatinine in the body, the kidneys must be underfunctioning since the normal kidney will keep levels from being elevated. Ok, we we come back with , 'yes, but Im supplementing with 5gr creatine daily.. That should explain to you why its byproduct is testing elevated'.... But, isnt it possible that the extra work the kidneys must do to try and eliminate the creatinine is putting an unnatural stress on them? Is it a good idea to work them this hard such that they are unable to remove the excess creatinine?

If I could be sure that the extra creatinine wont harm the kidneys over a long time, Id start creatine up again.. Thoughts?
    Good question. In my many googles around this, the consensus I found is that 'no', you're not putting your kidneys under any strain, because they're designed to do that job. It's like saying you'll wear your heart out if you do too much exercise, or wear your brain out by thinking too much.

Sorry I don't have a source for this, but it was my exact concern and I remember feeling quite reassured.