Scratz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quick dieting question!

Hey all, let me get to the point. I'm 16 y/o , 5'10 (1.77m) tall , and about 170 pounds (77kg). I have recently started to the gym but have been fairly inconsistent due to the fact that I can't drive and going after school is a hassle. So I've decided, I want to wait until May (The month I get my license), to start going to the gym again so I can be more consistent. I am absolutely horrible at managing what I eat. I have completely cut soda out of my diet and now only drink water, I have the occasional fast food (Chinese, Mexican, etc), but do not play any sports hence inactive. In these next 3 months I want to try and stick to a healthy diet so that I don't gain anymore fatty weight that I already have. Any tips for a diet plan? Any tips for counting calories? I have already checked the stickies and most of them suggest to just Google it and look "around". I've heard from many people that I don't even need to diet and I should just work out since I'm young. In fact, I know a kid that is pretty brolic and I asked him if he has a diet. He said no not really, he eats fast food and home cooked food whenever and just works out. I actually tried dieting for a week and to be honest, having brown rice, bland chicken, and broccoli may have been the worst thing I've ever eaten. Absolutely no flavor (at least the way I made it) and to be honest it wasn't worth it lol. I'll probably get flamed in the comments but all I really need is a little push in the right direction. Please help me out.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    chicken, rice, beef, fish, potatos, veggies
    no (bad) oil, no butter, no sauce
    I use (dry) spices when it comes to making food taste better so my brown rice is always popping(lol)
    chicken veggies and stuff like that is never bland.
    Fish just eat it by itself.
    Eating right is the hardest part that makes most people quit.

Scratz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BJP2k14 View Post
    chicken, rice, beef, fish, potatos, veggies
    no (bad) oil, no butter, no sauce
    I use (dry) spices when it comes to making food taste better so my brown rice is always popping(lol)
    chicken veggies and stuff like that is never bland.
    Fish just eat it by itself.
    Eating right is the hardest part that makes most people quit.
    What kind of veggies do you suggest? I'm gonna go food shopping soon. Dinner isn't really an issue. It's really the other two meals. I never know what's healthy that I can have for breakfast. I'm still in school so I can't, nor can my mother, make myself a gourmet breakfast so it's usually Co Co Krispies Cereal lol. But as for dinner I was thinking, chicken 3 times a week, fish once a week (mainly salmon), and beef twice a week. Also, I go out with friends every weekend which results in eating out so I never know what to get from fast food restaurants that isn't totally horrible.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're 16, you don't need a diet plan.. you need to stop worrying about your body fat and your nutrition.

No 16 year old needs to be eating brown rice and chicken.

Scratz98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    You're 16, you don't need a diet plan.. you need to stop worrying about your body fat and your nutrition.

No 16 year old needs to be eating brown rice and chicken.
    So I don't need to diet? I can just eat as I normally do but continue to work out? Also another tip that would immensely help me. Should I be doing cardio? Should I run/jog/walk on a treadmill for 30 min a day? I hear from so many people "Nah man, protein and lift"

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Scratz98 View Post
    So I don't need to diet? I can just eat as I normally do but continue to work out? Also another tip that would immensely help me. Should I be doing cardio? Should I run/jog/walk on a treadmill for 30 min a day? I hear from so many people "Nah man, protein and lift"

Always do your cardio.

Anyone that tells you that you shouldn't engage in cardiovascular activity needs to have their head examined.

Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just focus on eating foods with higher nutritional value. Fruits and vegetables are a must, and they keep you fuller. The good thing about them is they're lower in calories as well. Lean protein sources like chicken are good too. Go for whole grains as they're digested slower and keep you fuller longer. Avoid sugary drinks and white flour, try and drink water only (which you already are). Eating foods higher in fiber will be a plus too. At the end of the day though, all that matters is a caloric deficit. If you burn more calories than you consume, it results in weight loss. Calculate your maintenance calories, and subtract by 500-1000. That's what you gotta aim for. Try your best to calculate/measure out everything you eat. Myfitnesspal is a great ap with basically everything you need. As for the blandness thing, just experiment with different herbs and spices, it will definitely help.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Always do your cardio.

Anyone that tells you that you shouldn't engage in cardiovascular activity needs to have their head examined.
    Sorry to bother you with another question, but doesn't running on the treadmill every day put too much pressure on your joints? I mean I have no problem doing it but will it affect me in the long run? Just like when people destroy their back doing abs.

Originally Posted by Alex8696 View Post
    Just focus on eating foods with higher nutritional value. Fruits and vegetables are a must, and they keep you fuller. The good thing about them is they're lower in calories as well. Lean protein sources like chicken are good too. Go for whole grains as they're digested slower and keep you fuller longer. Avoid sugary drinks and white flour, try and drink water only (which you already are). Eating foods higher in fiber will be a plus too. At the end of the day though, all that matters is a caloric deficit. If you burn more calories than you consume, it results in weight loss. Calculate your maintenance calories, and subtract by 500-1000. That's what you gotta aim for. Try your best to calculate/measure out everything you eat. Myfitnesspal is a great ap with basically everything you need. As for the blandness thing, just experiment with different herbs and spices, it will definitely help.
    That is soo difficult at my age. I understand how important dieting is. But you must have been where I was. School at 7:30 am, aka no time for a gourmet breakfast which ends up in cereal, school is most likely a quick sandwich I whipped up before my cereal in the morning, and as for dinner I can't really dictate my mother on what to cook because she comes home from work and just wants to get it over with. Plus when I go out with friends we always get outside food whether its Tai, Chinese, Pizza, etc. I really need to manage time.

Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Alex8696 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    That is soo difficult at my age. I understand how important dieting is. But you must have been where I was. School at 7:30 am, aka no time for a gourmet breakfast which ends up in cereal, school is most likely a quick sandwich I whipped up before my cereal in the morning, and as for dinner I can't really dictate my mother on what to cook because she comes home from work and just wants to get it over with. Plus when I go out with friends we always get outside food whether its Tai, Chinese, Pizza, etc. I really need to manage time.
    Listen, just try to eat better when you can. But I'll be honest, it all comes down to calorie counts. If you took in lets say 1800 one day but burned 2300, you have a deficit of 500. Eat that every day you'd lose one pound in a week. Just try and focus on serving sizes. I also had the same issue as you in my weight loss. When my mom made home cooked meals, I'd just have one serving of it, no more. Or when you're going out to eat, just eat until you're full. Portion control plays a big part too.

Sorry to bother you with another question, but doesn't running on the treadmill every day put too much pressure on your joints? I mean I have no problem doing it but will it affect me in the long run? Just like when people destroy their back doing abs.
    Yes, this is why I advocate riding bicycles.