Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anyone stop supplementing as they got older?

I've been going at this exercise thing now pretty seriously (more serious than most people I know in their 40's) for more than two decades now and have been all over the place from 185# and very low bodyfat- circuit training stage to 255# powerlifting stage (fat) and I was always on some sort of supplement(s) or other.

Over a year ago I had a health scare with stroke-like symptoms that the doctors placed as a result of the creatine/amino/protein/glutamine/vitamins I was taking.

Since then I have not taken one supplement. I have always tried to live to a healthy diet during the weekdays with cheats on the weekends. I know a multi and some glucosamine is not going to kill me. But I decided to go cold turkey and place some $$$ back in my pocket.
    I have not noticed one drop off in performance, not that I was setting records. But I have noticed a better feeling overall mentally and physically.

The bloating, gassiness, headaches during and post workouts have all disappeared. I have also noticed my excessive sweatiness has dropped off too.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it merely a placebo effect brought on by my own optimism?

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Interesting indeed. How do you meet your protein needs? I have often wondered if (at my age and with slowing metabolism) I am able to actually use the 150g+ of protein I get every day. I only take a small amount of creatine but a fair amount of my protein comes from whey shakes. I had some blood work done a while back and had some high values due to high protein intake.
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have been taking the same supplements such as creatine, BCAA, and whey protein for the last 25 years with no issues. In fact they have contributed to me maintaining my muscle mass into my 60's. One of my doctors ask me what supplements I was using to keep my muscle mass at 60+. I'm currently researching supplementation to slow the issues with mitochondria as we age.

If you are not smart about your supplements you will have issues and waste your money.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PiperBill View Post
    Interesting indeed. How do you meet your protein needs? I have often wondered if (at my age and with slowing metabolism) I am able to actually use the 150g+ of protein I get every day. I only take a small amount of creatine but a fair amount of my protein comes from whey shakes. I had some blood work done a while back and had some high values due to high protein intake.
    I'm not sure. lol
    I know I am not getting my gram to bodyweight as I used to. However, I have noticed no loss of size or strength. My weights continue on as normal. Granted I am not seeing huge bursts of strength or size increase. But after several years I am satisfied with a slower gain than I did with newbie gains.
    I don't mean to start a **** storm. But I wonder how much of the whole, "You need so much of this and that everyday" is more marketing than essential?
    Have I noticed a change in my body since eliminating protein, multi's, and creatine? No stomach bloat, less gas, and I don't pee neon colors. I also notice my abs are tighter without creatine. I don't have the large bloated stomach look anymore.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The most thorough studies of multivitamins and glucosamine have not shown any benefit to taking them. Other than creatine and food (protein being a subset of food), no legal non-prescription supplement has strong evidence of doing anything.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I take a lot of vitamins & mineral supplements, about $200.00 a month. My VGA Doc reads my blood tests, and says that all the supplements I take are taking very good care of me. When an MD says negatives about these supplements I realize I am talking to an idiot. Among other things, I am no longer a type II diabetic, exercise, diet and supplements.
    Do what's right.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whey protein has helped me get the protein I need.

Vits and minerals have been an inexpensive insurance
    policy against any deficiencies.

Other sups, I investigate and act accordingly. If I think
    they might help, I give them test drive.

Common sense is relatively safe and inexpensive.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How can you blame supplements for all of your symptoms when you may have had a pre-existing condition?
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's not true. All vitamins, minerals and sups are not equal.

All those studies are contraindicated and are based on opinion.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 03-03-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Whey protein has helped me get the protein I need.

Vits and minerals have been an inexpensive insurance
    policy against any deficiencies.

Other sups, I investigate and act accordingly. If I think
    they might help, I give them test drive.

Common sense is relatively safe and inexpensive.
    I share the same approach.

Billy Holiday said is best in her song

"T'aint nobody's business if I do "

Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eric_FXST View Post
    I've been going at this exercise thing now pretty seriously (more serious than most people I know in their 40's) for more than two decades now and have been all over the place from 185# and very low bodyfat- circuit training stage to 255# powerlifting stage (fat) and I was always on some sort of supplement(s) or other.

Over a year ago I had a health scare with stroke-like symptoms that the doctors placed as a result of the creatine/amino/protein/glutamine/vitamins I was taking.

Since then I have not taken one supplement. I have always tried to live to a healthy diet during the weekdays with cheats on the weekends. I know a multi and some glucosamine is not going to kill me. But I decided to go cold turkey and place some $$$ back in my pocket.
    I have not noticed one drop off in performance, not that I was setting records. But I have noticed a better feeling overall mentally and physically.

The bloating, gassiness, headaches during and post workouts have all disappeared. I have also noticed my excessive sweatiness has dropped off too.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it merely a placebo effect brought on by my own optimism?
    hi Eric,

I think its a placebo effect, I can say for my own experience. That I did quite using supplements in my mid 30's when I realized there wasn't any clear benefit with many- and some forms of creatine at the time were coming out that were causing liver and kidney damage. So after some brutal reflection, I've gone back to adding amino with my multi and found it isn't the same benefit at all and struggle still with the length of time I am sore after workouts. Added L-glutamine, NAC, and AAK (see how this sorts out), I have noticed in my younger days that the amount of protein needed per body weight is nonsense because of the simple fact that peoples metabolisms are different (and various systems go into how well that works too). I could put on more quality muscle through proper workouts and 2000 cals/day approx. I never really deviate from that, and I have been up to 220 lbs under the same caloric needs.

The trick imo is the way you implement when you eat or take those calories. Since my late 30's I realized that I don't recover as I did 15 yrs or 10 yrs ago and that at best I could perhaps help my longer recovery with a balance of my system and some things for test- increasing - I use tribbulus, also taurine.

I've gotten headaches from supplements and some affect my circulation, i.e.. yohimbe makes me feel cold. I don't take creatine but if i did I reckon it would be the mono-hydrate form. I would like to maintain whatever my gains are made with what is shown to help keep them - creatine has been shown- but diet and a maintenance routine are far off for me.

bloating from those drinks has been as bad as a belly full of pizza and beer, but feel not as fun. hope that helps...

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've never taken any supplements and have always relied on a good diet to meet my dietary needs, When I have any check ups I continue to get an excellent bill of health. I personally think supplements are very much over rated and people have been conned in thinking they have to take them.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How did he/she reach that conclusion? Stroke/TIA from vitamins and substances found in the body naturally. Please provide as much detail as you can.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm not sure. lol
    I know I am not getting my gram to bodyweight as I used to. However, I have noticed no loss of size or strength. My weights continue on as normal. Granted I am not seeing huge bursts of strength or size increase. But after several years I am satisfied with a slower gain than I did with newbie gains.
    I don't mean to start a **** storm. But I wonder how much of the whole, "You need so much of this and that everyday" is more marketing than essential?
    Have I noticed a change in my body since eliminating protein, multi's, and creatine? No stomach bloat, less gas, and I don't pee neon colors. I also notice my abs are tighter without creatine. I don't have the large bloated stomach look anymore.
    Reverse placebo effect.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Originally Posted by trickyB View Post
    How did he/she reach that conclusion? Stroke/TIA from vitamins and substances found in the body naturally. Please provide as much detail as you can.
    My wife brought my supplements into the ER in which the doctor, who was actually into weightlifiting himself, went through some of the ingredients and stated that some of the amino acids (Taurine?...) in the protein/creatine/amino supplement I was taking are known to cause an increase in blood pressure over time. My blood pressure was 180/140 +- while I was there. I had mild blindness in one eye and couldn't focus on objects. They gave me an 3 tests- EKG, MRI, MRU while I was there. At first they thought I was suffering from a mild stroke. They then changed the diagnosis to a certain type of migraine; atypical I believe is what they called it.

I first noticed a spike in my blood pressure 5 months prior at the dentists' office when they took a bp test. I was in the 150's. This was 3 months after starting the supplement.

My blood pressure is typically in the teens, which is where it has returned to. Sorry if the facts are a bit fuzzy. It has been over a year since this happened.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My wife brought my supplements into the ER in which the doctor, who was actually into weightlifiting himself, went through some of the ingredients and stated that some of the amino acids (Taurine?...) in the protein/creatine/amino supplement I was taking are known to cause an increase in blood pressure over time.
    Really......aminos causing increased BP. How about bad diet/lifestyle or predisposed genetic traits...or carrying an extra 40 lbs of fat?...

Actually Taurine has been studied to decrease BP
    The non-essential amino acid L-Taurine may exhibit hypotensive properties. However, the doses utilized to reap hypotensive results vary widely in the studies. One study suggests 6 grams of taurine per day in divided doses (21), while N. Kohashi, et al., suggested 1 to 3 grams per day back in 1983 in the Japan Heart Journal. Some researchers suggest that the reduced blood pressure may be due to taurine’s blunting of epinephrine levels and thus a reduction in signals from the nervous system. Others believe that taurine has been shown to assist in the cellular uptake of insulin, suggesting that this is a mechanism by which it may help reduce blood pressure (22).

21. T. Fujuta, et al, “Effects of Increased Adrenomedullary Activity and Taurine in Young Patients with Borderline Hypertension,” Circulation 75 (1987): 525. 22. W.G., Lampson, et al., “Potentiation of the Actions of Insulin by Taurine.” J Physiol Pharmacol, 61: 457-62, 1983. -[/url]
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just do protein powder and creatine and a multi these days. But it's mostly due to cost savings than anything else. I've used preworkouts in the past and like them, but just stick with caffeine currently. Just had a bunch of blood tests and other tests, everything is perfect except low T which is getting addressed after a couple more tests.

fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fontyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PiperBill View Post
    Interesting indeed. How do you meet your protein needs? I have often wondered if (at my age and with slowing metabolism) I am able to actually use the 150g+ of protein I get every day.
    How are you determining your protein needs?

Personal experimentation?
    Scientific evidence?
    Broscience?
    I couldn't wait for success so I went ahead without it

Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Type2Logic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    If you are not smart about your supplements you will have issues and waste your money.
    This is the key point ^. Protein and Creatine are key and some proteins have creatine and BCAAs contained within.
    Rick Robbins
    BodySpace: Type2Logic
    http://www.Type2Logic.com

********.com/Mr.R.Robbins
    Twitter.com/Type2Logic
    Instagram.com/_type2logic_

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Really......aminos causing increased BP. How about bad diet/lifestyle or predisposed genetic traits...or carrying an extra 40 lbs of fat?...

Actually Taurine has been studied to decrease BP
    I checked the site and ON 2:1:1 doesn't contain Taurine. that is my mistake. As I said, I don't remember the exact specifics. Diet, lifetyle, weight and body fat have all been in check and have not changed. I am a creature of habit and tend to stick to the same dietary intake and 6 day exercise regiment for a year at a time.
    I am merely confused to why the high blood pressure started 2:1:1 Recovery, got worse during, and then went away after dropping the supplement.
    Granted it is probably just an individual situation. I am merely questioning if anyone else found similar results after dropping supplements. Any for that mater.
    As I said this is not a bash of supplement manufacturers or those taking supplements.

How many of you have ever went clean and actually seen your results decline?

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I cycle creatine mostly cause it makes me sound hard core.

Other than that, some protein and a normal diet.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    I cycle creatine mostly cause it makes me sound hard core.

Other than that, some protein and a normal diet.
    I used to stay on creatine and not cycle it. With my high protein intake and muscle breakdown, my bloodwork always comes back with elevated BUN and creatinine. It flags me for kidney issues every time, but after reading about it, this is normal in people who train heavily combined with high protein intake. It is the Bun:Creatinine ratio that is telling in these cases. My ratio is always in the proper range even though both are elevated. That is the reason my Dr never expressed concern.

As an experiment, I had my yearly physical and full bloodwork a week ago. I decided to stop creatine 2 months ago and see if there was an impact. (some say supplementing creatine can mess with creatinine levels in blood work.

Long story short, there was no change at all. Both equally elevated again . So the day after I got my bloodwork, I started daily creatine again. (that said, I consume a lot of fluids consciously as higher protein can strain them)
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Whether you use supplements or do not use supplements is a personal decision that should be based on your life style and research to determine if the supplement will contribute to your goals. When someone makes blanket statements that supplements are not needed or just a placebo effect, I consider the source.

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fontyyy View Post

Scientific evidence?
    Broscience?
    1 gram per lb lean body mass. That's what it says all over the place so it must be right. :-)
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

Originally Posted by fontyyy View Post

Scientific evidence?
    Broscience?

My protein needs are determined by researching exercise physiology studies and personal experimenting based in my findings. That minimize the shooting from the hip with broscience or aids in making an educated broscience guess. Spending time on researching nutrition, metabolism, and exercise physiology has beneficial to my training and choices in supplementation. Developing knowledge is just as important as developing muscles.

DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrivingIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I stopped taking all supplements about a year ago. I had been taking creatine for over ten years up to that point. I loved creatine, it was something I felt I had to have and it worked great for me. I had some blood work done and I had an elevated levels of a particular substance and after I stopped taking creatine it was back to normal when I had my blood work done again two weeks later.

My focus now is staying injury free instead of seeing how much weight I can lift. I don't need those supplements any longer for that purpose. All I want is to be strong enough to handle my business if I need to break some criminal off if he tries to acost me.
    "He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy," Psalm 147:10-11.

steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelsnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was taking all kinds of supplements in my 20's. Eventually I just gave up on them and ate a whole food diet for a while. After some research, if figured that there are some vitamins and minerals that I need, that I am deficient in, or things I know I need that I am not getting through my diet. I think a good natural multi is a must. Fish/krill oil, vitamin d,vitamin k2 (mk-7), magnesium and calcium. That's about it. I won't ever go back to protein powders or BCAAS or creatine etc. I don't need those things, and they can get expensive. I am more focused on staying healthy in and out of the gym and not worried about gains any more.

louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nope...i still use the same things i used 10 years ago.

Registered User wesleytimmons41's Avatar
    wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    certainly as we age and shift our focus to maintaining a healthy lifestyle along with keeping our weight in check and not looking to make muscle gains , supplements like creatine and whey powders become less important but i think you could argue many other supplements become more important for your body to stay health due to wear and tear over the years . Our bodies let us know what we need , and many are in fine tune with there bodies and add what they need when they need it.
    I've recently added vitamin D and glutamine/arginine/ornithine before bed , along with morning multi with occasional use of whey protein and creatine when i think i need them for a boost thru a plateau.
    Im sure down the road glucosamine will be added,but it's not needed yet.

having said that,you will do just fine without any supplements and a healthy diet.

Originally Posted by wesleytimmons41 View Post
    certainly as we age and shift our focus to maintaining a healthy lifestyle along with keeping our weight in check and not looking to make muscle gains , supplements like creatine and whey powders become less important but i think you could argue many other supplements become more important for your body to stay health due to wear and tear over the years . Our bodies let us know what we need , and many are in fine tune with there bodies and add what they need when they need it.
    I've recently added vitamin D and glutamine/arginine/ornithine before bed , along with morning multi with occasional use of whey protein and creatine when i think i need them for a boost thru a plateau.
    Im sure down the road glucosamine will be added,but it's not needed yet.

having said that,you will do just fine without any supplements and a healthy diet.
    Great input! And you know, this makes a lot of sense. At 44 my goals have indeed changed. My max bench, the size of my arms, ILS walking around the gym, slamming db's to see if anyone looks...the younger years. lol
    Blood pressure/cholesterol levels, body fat/love handles, how do I look without a shirt on compared to other guys my age, can I go outside and run a couple miles/bicycle without getting winded, flexibility, more bodyweight exercises, what do I want to be doing with the second half of my life, not dealing with excessive gassiness/bloating/headaches/10 minute ventures on the toilet everytime I cycle a new supplement...