Page 14 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    parashenkka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing weighted chins instead of the chest supported rows.
    Will this be ok for the sake of my shoulder health as I've no horizontal pull to counteract bench press?
    I know that atleast Arnolds Golden Six doesn't run any horizontal pulls.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by parashenkka View Post
    Will this be ok for the sake of my shoulder health as I've no horizontal pull to counteract bench press?
    rows are a good way to build a nice strong bench.. I wouldn't stop doing chins...but I'd add rows in as well.
    OG

Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You definitely need a horizontal pull, chin ups aren't going to counter-balance the front delt involvement of push movements like bench press. Like Jason said, keeping the chin ups is fine, but you really need to add a horizontal pulling movement (like rows).

xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ThatOneLurker View Post
    If it's that uncomfortable then does your gym have one of these?

You could perform rows on these with your chest on the pad.

Or continue doing mower rows but throwing in reverse flyes.
    We have something similar... my problem with that machine is I have a really tough time feeling the muscle contract. I probably could get that to work though if I found a good height for the seat, etc.
    The journey toward perfection is ALWAYS a path of successes AND failures.

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xxx_jfb_xxx View Post
    We have something similar... my problem with that machine is I have a really tough time feeling the muscle contract. I probably could get that to work though if I found a good height for the seat, etc.
    Experiment with it. I still find myself experimenting with that machine but the most important part is the contraction. Using the neutral grip (palms facing each other) may help with feeling it more.

But like I said, mower rows with reverse flyes are acceptable.
    “The model for the application of your principles is the boxer rather than the gladiator. The gladiator puts down or takes up the sword he uses, the boxer always has his hands and needs only to clench them into fists.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

"I didn't know anything about bodybuilding I was just doing this for happiness and I don't want to take the happiness away. For me it is meditation, a ritual between my mind and body" -Victor Richards

nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man, went back to the gym after my deload, started by doing Slight Incline Bench for a change, something I never do, and I find it really really bad for my shoulders. I just did 10 reps of 180 lbs and went directly to grab some dumbells and do 15º incl db press.

Incline Bench Press is really one of the worst ****s ever imo, lifting that bar off in the beginning is a shoulder-killer.

64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have/use one of these & love it, although mine is plates with pin adjustment on a cable...same support & movement. I would suggest to start a bit light to learn contraction. You'll admire it in no time!

I'm using is extremely light right now for rehabbing my shoulder

64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000) 64509chvl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nerynery View Post
    Man, went back to the gym after my deload, started by doing Slight Incline Bench for a change, something I never do, and I find it really really bad for my shoulders. I just did 10 reps of 180 lbs and went directly to grab some dumbells and do 15º incl db press.

Incline Bench Press is really one of the worst ****s ever imo, lifting that bar off in the beginning is a shoulder-killer.
    Unfortunately I respond the same way with it...for myself, I won't be going back to any BB pressing. Need to do what's best for me. Some will never experience this discomfort, but to others it can be quite an issue.

Originally Posted by Effrum View Post
    You definitely need a horizontal pull, chin ups aren't going to counter-balance the front delt involvement of push movements like bench press. Like Jason said, keeping the chin ups is fine, but you really need to add a horizontal pulling movement (like rows).
    What if I added reverse flyes or facepulls instead? Would that do it?

ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000) ThatOneLurker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What if I added reverse flyes or facepulls instead? Would that do it?
    How many chest movements are you doing?

If one then add reverse flyes, if two then add them both.
    “The model for the application of your principles is the boxer rather than the gladiator. The gladiator puts down or takes up the sword he uses, the boxer always has his hands and needs only to clench them into fists.”

"I didn't know anything about bodybuilding I was just doing this for happiness and I don't want to take the happiness away. For me it is meditation, a ritual between my mind and body" -Victor Richards

Im doing fullbody: Bench, Chins, Triceps pressdown, Curl, Lateral rise, Front Squat, Weighted hypers(ham version), Calves

My girlfriend is competing in chin ups (yes it's a thing), and that's why I like doing them too.
    So if I added reverse flyes, it would be ok shoulderwise?

Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Effrum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im doing fullbody: Bench, Chins, Triceps pressdown, Curl, Lateral rise, Front Squat, Weighted hypers(ham version), Calves

My girlfriend is competing in chin ups (yes it's a thing), and that's why I like doing them too.
    So if I added reverse flyes, it would be ok shoulderwise?
    Yep, that's got it

xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Anyone split legs into push/pull? I'm thinking of trying it just because I hate leg day so freaking much... maybe splitting them up with some upper body would motivate me since I'll get the best of both worlds? I haven't tried it for years.

Any idea how that would work? Something like this?

Push
    Bench Press
    Side Lateral Raise
    Tricep Pressdown
    Front Squat
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raise

Pull
    Romanian Deadlift
    Leg Curls
    Lat Pulldowns
    Row
    Rear Delt Raise
    Bicep Curls

I don't think I left anything out..

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

Anyone split legs into push/pull? I'm thinking of trying it just because I hate leg day so freaking much... maybe splitting them up with some upper body would motivate me since I'll get the best of both worlds? I haven't tried it for years.

Push
    Bench Press
    Side Lateral Raise
    Tricep Pressdown
    Front Squat
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raise

Pull
    Romanian Deadlift
    Leg Curls
    Lat Pulldowns
    Row
    Rear Delt Raise
    Bicep Curls

This is what I was doing instead of a pure U/L when I had a 2-day split. I found it much more tolerable than doing FS + RDL in the same day 3 times a week lol. I would probably add flys to your push days since you have rows and rear delt work on pull. Just a thought.

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    fwiw, I do a push/pull, but only with front squats on pull day (due to leg curls and gms) - my split goes

Low Incline
    Dips
    DB Flat Presses (used to do flies)
    Wide Upright row
    French Presses
    Pushdowns

Fr Squat
    Leg Extension
    Pendlay Row
    Chin ups
    Good Mornings
    Curls
    Leg Curls

I would do calf work everyday - i'll also admit I hate training back (the idea of pulling something isn't as cool as grinding out a pressing exercise ) so I would probably never do back on its own day anyways.

Originally Posted by Effrum View Post
    This is what I was doing instead of a pure U/L when I had a 2-day split. I found it much more tolerable than doing FS + RDL in the same day 3 times a week lol. I would probably add flys to your push days since you have rows and rear delt work on pull. Just a thought.
    Yeah that's a lot of my problem as well. I dread leg day because I'm totally drained after squats and deadlifts then its like ****, I'm not even halfway through my workout!

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Push
    Bench Press
    Side Lateral Raise
    Tricep Pressdown
    Front Squat
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raise

Pull
    Romanian Deadlift
    Leg Curls
    Lat Pulldowns
    Row
    Rear Delt Raise
    Bicep Curls

I'm not a big fan of push/pulls. I prefer U/L.

My current split.

Upper
    floor press 30 reps
    barbell row 30 reps
    barbell OHP 30 reps
    barbell pullover 40 reps
    barbell drag curls 40 reps

Lower
    Front squat 30 reps
    RDL 30 reps
    GHR 40 reps
    barbell calf raises 40 reps
    OG

Yeah that's a lot of my problem as well. I dread leg day because I'm totally drained after squats and deadlifts then its like ****, I'm not even halfway through my workout!
    In hindsight, it's very possible that my carb intake was just too low for Lower days, but I didn't get a lot of time to work on it. Trying to do a full Lower day is how I messed up my back doing RDL's (did FS and was struggling to finish my RDL reps, then tweaked my back on the way up). I think it really just comes down to figuring out the right balance between diet and work capacity, because I was doing a full leg day on the original P/P/L just fine - although granted the weights were lighter back then lol. Not that I think there's anything wrong with doing a Push/Pull vs an U/L - imo it's personal preference.

nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerynery will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You are doing Chest-supported Rows, which aren't listed on this routine, but were on kelei's previous routines, which gives me the question: Which exercises have you been doing these days?

thanks

Push
    Bench Press
    Side Lateral Raise
    Tricep Pressdown
    Front Squat
    Leg Extension
    Calf Raise

Pull
    Romanian Deadlift
    Leg Curls
    Lat Pulldowns
    Row
    Rear Delt Raise
    Bicep Curls

I tried Push / Pull, but didn't enjoy it. I prefer U/L, even though I do RDL on Lower days, I feel like I need to give my elbows that rest.

I tried Push / Pull, but didn't enjoy it. I prefer U/L, even though I do RDL on Lower days, I feel like I need to give my elbows that rest.
    why would you NOT do RDL on lower day...it's mainly a hamstring lift.,
    OG

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I find my elbows and shoulders dont bitch as much doing U/L too.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000) CrayJay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can someone please share their experience with the recomping phases that Kelei advocates?

imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000) imhungry4444 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Been running ICF 5x5 for the past couple of months but what I'm really looking for is hypertrophy and not pure strength per-say since the core lifts on ICF 5x5 are at a 5x5 rep-set range as opposed to a more hypertrophic 8-12 rep range. Was thinking of switching to something like this. What do you guys think?
    NASM CPT

Scrub Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784991

PRs
    SQ: 425 lb
    DL: 535 lb
    OHP: 190 lb
    BP: 300 lb

You are doing Chest-supported Rows, which aren't listed on this routine, but were on kelei's previous routines, which gives me the question: Which exercises have you been doing these days?

thanks

D1: flat barbell bench
    incline DB bench
    hammer strength chest press (though this exercise changes for me when I get bored to either weighted dips or some form of a flye)
    tricep pressdowns
    side raises

D2: Pull ups
    Lat pulldowns
    Chest supported rows
    seated rows
    concentration curls
    Rear delt flyes or hammer strength rows

D3: high bar back squats
    weighted hyperextensions
    leg extensions
    one legged leg curls
    standing calf raises
    seated calf raises

These are my personal preferences.

Originally Posted by imhungry4444 View Post
    Been running ICF 5x5 for the past couple of months but what I'm really looking for is hypertrophy and not pure strength per-say since the core lifts on ICF 5x5 are at a 5x5 rep-set range as opposed to a more hypertrophic 8-12 rep range. Was thinking of switching to something like this. What do you guys think?
    volume matter...even if you do 30 reps if you get there with 3x10 or 6x5 you're still getting in the same overall volume. Rep ranges are not magical things.
    OG

I killed it on leg day for the first time in months. I'm doing upper/lower now and split the lower into two days kind of. One day with an extreme emphasis on quads and the other I'm going to do an extreme emphasis on hamstrings.

Anyone tried doing something similar?

I'm thinking of doing upper body the same. One day with an extreme emphasis on push and the other with an extreme emphasis on pull.

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

I killed it on leg day for the first time in months. I'm doing upper/lower now and split the lower into two days kind of. One day with an extreme emphasis on quads and the other I'm going to do an extreme emphasis on hamstrings.

I'm thinking of doing upper body the same. One day with an extreme emphasis on push and the other with an extreme emphasis on pull.
    I've never tried anything like that, just because it sounds like you've got U1/L1, U2/L2. So there wouldn't be as much volume per exercise and your frequency would also suffer some. That being said, as long as your volume per muscle on a weekly basis (say 200 reps for chest, etc) evens out to the same as a standard U/L, then it's probably not worth splitting hairs over. I say try it and see how it goes.

MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MortalEngine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm considering the same thing with legs. I've just moved from an U/L split to P/P/L because the U/L sessions were killing me. Enjoying this much more, but having completed my first D3 (leg day) the session was much longer than the D1 and D2, and I felt pretty burned out after the deadlifts.

Considering keeping the squats, deads, calves and weighted glute bridges (I've added these because they've worked wonders for my lower back pain) to D3, but adding leg curls to D1 and leg extensions to D2. I don't really want to do this, but I'm enjoying the shorter sessions that PPL offers (and being able to go to the gym 6 days a week), and leg day is a killer at almost twice the length of D1 and D2. Doing this would even out the length of the three sessions.
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching." [Gerard Way]

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain." [Frank Herbert]

DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DumbbellDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm completely new to the routine (and to the forum in general) but it looks awesome and the first 2 days felt *incredibly* intense. I appologize in advance if my question turns out to be redundant.
    My intention is to replace my previous 5 day split with this one, but I was wondering about the actual volume used in this split compared to what I did in the 5 day routine.
    A D1, for example, looks like this:

Bench press 4*12
    Incline dumbbell press 4*12
    seated military press 4*12
    dumbell side raise 4*12
    rope pressdown 4*10
    skullcrusher single dumbell 4*8
    cable crossovers 4*12 > dropset

Is the volume based on what you can handle, or is it better to start off with less volume and maybe add more gradually? I will admit I sorta tried to just put all the stuff from the 5 day split as much as I could in this one.
    Perhaps the most import reason why I ask is because the D1 and D2 have been significantly more "draining" than a regular day in my previous split. I can imagine it will take some time to get used to, but could also see myself simply getting a little bit in over my head.