jtoy1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need some advice on fat loss/muscle gain

I have been going on and off the ketogenic diet for a few years now and my weight has gone up and down drastically. At my heaviest, I was 257 pounds, I then lost around 40 pounds that year and then put on about 30 after that, and now currently at 225. I believe I am more sensitive to carbs than most people. I would like to lose 2-3 pounds per week, but have been at a plateau the last month on my ketogenic diet and think it might be either metabolism or hormone related. I saw a urologist last year and my total testosterone level was 268. That seems incredibly low, although he said it wasn't because my free testosterone levels were fine. I am now starting a 5x5 lifting routine as I want to gain muscle and lose fat (I know this isn't easy to do at the same time), which I believe may be hard to do on the ketogenic diet, so I am going to try CKD. I have done a psmf in the past and that got me down to my lowest weight in awhile, but I feel like it messed up my body a bit and I gained a LOT of weight coming off of the diet.

Please do not post the standard "sticky" information regarding calculating macros and picking a plan, as I already know that. I would just like some advice from someone who has actually consistently lost at least 2 pounds a week to provide some advice. Not sure if I should wait to be lifting heavy or if I should focus on a specific workout. I am willing to do anything at this point, including paying for a nutritionist/online personal trainer.

In addition to getting some advice, I would like some help on my BMR and target calories every day. According to a calculator I used, My BMR is 1872 calories and calories to maintain is 2574. So 20% of 2574 is 2059. That seems high for maximizing fat loss (2-3 lbs per week). Thoughts? I used this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 225 lbs
    Exercise: Lifting 3 times/week
    Body fat %: 32% (estimation)

Does 2,000 calories per day sound about right for losing 2-3 lbs per week? I am going to be using myfitnesspal to track exactly. Can adjust my macros for ketogenic diet, but just want to make sure calories are correct.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jtoy1986 View Post
    In addition to getting some advice, I would like some help on my BMR and target calories every day. According to a calculator I used, My BMR is 1872 calories and calories to maintain is 2574. So 20% of 2574 is 2059. That seems high for maximizing fat loss (2-3 lbs per week). Thoughts? I used this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 225 lbs
    Exercise: Lifting 3 times/week
    Body fat %: 32% (estimation)

Does 2,000 calories per day sound about right for losing 2-3 lbs per week? I am going to be using myfitnesspal to track exactly. Can adjust my macros for ketogenic diet, but just want to make sure calories are correct.
    No.

And if you had actually read all of the "Standard sticky" information that you claim to have you would know that.

Just like the "stickies" say, a pound of fat loss = roughly 3500 calories expended so a 500cal/day deficit = 1 pound per week at most.

Based upon your claimed BMR and TDEE, you would need to eat at 1000c/day to lose 3pounds per week.

As for your "ketogenic diet" it is obviously not working and the most likely culprit is that you are just eating too damn much food.

Carbs do not automatically=fat, too many calories from any source = fat. It is quite possible (and fairly easy actually) to gain weight while eating just proteins and fats (esp. the fats).

There are no "easy" methods, just calories in vs. calories out.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    No.

And if you had actually read all of the "Standard sticky" information that you claim to have you would know that.

Just like the "stickies" say, a pound of fat loss = roughly 3500 calories expended so a 500cal/day deficit = 1 pound per week at most.

Based upon your claimed BMR and TDEE, you would need to eat at 1000c/day to lose 3pounds per week.

As for your "ketogenic diet" it is obviously not working and the most likely culprit is that you are just eating too damn much food.

Carbs do not automatically=fat, too many calories from any source = fat. It is quite possible (and fairly easy actually) to gain weight while eating just proteins and fats (esp. the fats).

There are no "easy" methods, just calories in vs. calories out.
    Thanks. I will stick to 1500 then for a 2lb per week deficit and see how that goes. Swear I have been eating only around 1,000 calories and not losing weight the past month. Wasn't sure if I needed to have a carb up or some type of metabolism boost.

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Swear I have been eating only around 1,000 calories and not losing weight the past month. Wasn't sure if I needed to have a carb up or some type of metabolism boost.
    Nope you have not. There is no metabolic adaption or sickness that I have ever heard of that would stop someone at 225lbs from losing weight at 1000kcal on daily average.

In your case you should stick with the basics. Moderate deficit, adequate protein/fat and fill the rest with carbs while lifting heavy stuff.
    Since you have had some "issues" with on and off dieting, losing and regaining etc. you need to get the basics set instead of trying for quick fixes or magical methods. Along with the somewhat low total test, a steady constant routine is far easier to maintain and avoids several hormonal fluctuations (which serves no purpose beyond giving you ups and downs).

As for carb sensitivity, what do you mean by that ?
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

The only reason I question my calories is because of various people talking about "slowing metabolism" or "metabolic changes." The article below is in no way scientific, but it is something I wonder about when cutting calories to 1500 to lose 2 pounds per week. I'm hoping lifting heavy 3 times per week will off-set any large metabolic changes (maybe even help on a large deficit since I did not lift heavy previously).

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eati...o-lose-weight/
    "The reason why your weight loss has stagnated is because you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight." Thoughts?

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only reason I question my calories is because of various people talking about "slowing metabolism" or "metabolic changes." The article below is in no way scientific, but it is something I wonder about when cutting calories to 1500 to lose 2 pounds per week. I'm hoping lifting heavy 3 times per week will off-set any large metabolic changes (maybe even help on a large deficit since I did not lift heavy previously).

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eati...o-lose-weight/
    "The reason why your weight loss has stagnated is because you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight." Thoughts?
    2lbs/week should be fine initially, a general guideline is 1% bodyweight loss per week.

Weight loss doesn't stagnate due to metabolic adaptions, it merely slows down. The biggest abnormal TDEE drops i've seen iirc is around 500kcal lower than expected, with a 1000kcal deficit it would still be 500 deficit.
    With resistance training, adequate protein/fat and reasonable weight loss (1% per week) metabolic adaptions are for most non-existent, it's only during severe deficits (either from diet or excessive cardio/activity) where you see big drops or if resistance training/general exercise is not present.

If you want to know more about that you can read my posts here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1341543291
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911