wkandinsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb I've had big calves my entire life. Not convinced it's genetic. (Is it?)

Would anyone like to share tips or personal stories on how to lose weight/decrease body fat percentage or more specifically, slim down their CALVES and thighs? (Note: Emphasis on calves.)

I've resorted to posting on this forum, since I'm feeling a bit desperate and confused. I've only started working with a personal trainer last week, but I'm still interested in getting a second opinion about the changes I need to make to achieve my goal.

I've always had big calves—my entire life. Even when I was an athlete in college at 44/45kg (and 158cm tall or 5'2"), my calves were 33cm (13in) at their slimmest. (I was doing judo.)

Fast forward 10 years later... My weight fluctuates between 46.3kg and 47.5kg. My body fat percentage is 20.4% and my visceral fat rating is 1.

But my calf circumference is at 34.3cm (13.5in) and my thighs are 51cm (20in). I read somewhere that for my height, the ideal calf circumference should be 31cm or 12in, so this is my goal. (Not so worried about my thighs though.)

What's the best way to go about achieving my goal? Apart from measuring my legs, should I also focus on losing more weight or just decreasing my body fat or both?

Just a quick note about my current lifestyle: I gained weight last year, and I was 51.9kg at my heaviest. At the moment, I've successfully adopted a low-carb lifestyle and I've been at it for six months. I keep a food (and exercise) diary to stay accountable. I allot one day per week to eating carb like high GI fruit/rice/bread/oatmeal and yummy unhealthy stuff. (Successfully survived the December holidays without gaining weight, with no proper exercise regimen!)

In terms of physical activity: I own a stationary bike, so I do some spinning ~45-48 minutes everyday with an average speed of 33-36kph. As much as possible, I do it in the morning when I get up at 6am. On top of that, I drop by the gym weekly for weight training and doing some elliptical training for at least 30 minutes.

I own a set of dumbbells, but I haven't been using them regularly.

I've also started running (again) two weeks ago. As a beginner, I can only run 3km non-stop. After covering that distance, I walk an additional kilometer. That makes for about 30 minutes. I've done this five times already.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000) IzTriv is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, you can't spot reduce fat.

But you can try build some lean muscle in your calves.

One of the easiest/no excuse exercises you can do:

Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and go up on your tippie-toes, high as you can. Hold for a second. Go back down. Repeat.

Once that gets too easy, throw a dumbbell in each hand and repeat.

Keep repeating and gradually increase the weight.

I tried this when I was younger and fitter. It toned my calves, but it didn't help shrink them.

In any case, what do you mean by "repeat"? I'd like you to be more specific. How many reps and sets?

Originally Posted by IzTriv View Post
    Well, you can't spot reduce fat.

But you can try build some lean muscle in your calves.

One of the easiest/no excuse exercises you can do:

Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and go up on your tippie-toes, high as you can. Hold for a second. Go back down. Repeat.

Once that gets too easy, throw a dumbbell in each hand and repeat.

Keep repeating and gradually increase the weight.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pictures of massively huge calves or it doesnt exist. my calves are the same size as yours and they are by no means huge, and im 3 - 4 inches shorter. Is it possible that you are simply insecure about them and are not being objective????

By the weights you list, you fluctuate in very low weights for your height....your calves may seem "huge" to you if you lack muscle mass in the rest of your body.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Katie39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had big calves my whole life. Mine are even bigger than yours....they measure close to 15 inches in circumference. My weight has fluctuated throughout my adult life from 115 up to 140 (during my pregnancies) and my calves have remained about the same size. I used to feel a little insecure about them and think they were too big, but after I got into bodybuilding and having more muscle, I started to really like them. People stop me all the time and tell me I have great calves and ask what exercises I do to make them that way. And I always say, for me, it's genetic cause I don't do anything to make them bigger...although maybe some of my cardio (such as running, bike riding, etc...) works them.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LOL. I'm 5'3" and my calves are 14.5". And I wish they were bigger.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Photo here: *****://www[dot]dropbox[dot]com/s/dw3nanjpebm80ge/IMG_1484.jpg?dl=0

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Pictures of massively huge calves or it doesnt exist. my calves are the same size as yours and they are by no means huge, and im 3 - 4 inches shorter. Is it possible that you are simply insecure about them and are not being objective????

By the weights you list, you fluctuate in very low weights for your height....your calves may seem "huge" to you if you lack muscle mass in the rest of your body.

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think you're seeing something that other people aren't.

Where did you find this 12" 'ideal' measurement?

My calves are 13" and they're a part I struggle to bring up. They're tiny. I couldn't imagine losing another inch off of them.
    Someone once told me the definition of hell- Your last day on earth, the person you become meets the person you could have become.

~My Lifting Diary~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158933283

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wkandinsky View Post
    Um...those calves are not big, only you think they are. And and least there are no cankles
    Last edited by birdiefu; 02-27-2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Whoops, meant calves, not ankles!
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

I arrived at this figure based on recommendations by mostly Asian websites.

I couldn't find some of my original sources, but I did stumble upon this page to give you an idea: shorty-stories[dot]delectablychic[dot]com/2012/01/koreansizecharts/

Originally Posted by superja View Post
    I think you're seeing something that other people aren't.

Where did you find this 12" 'ideal' measurement?

My calves are 13" and they're a part I struggle to bring up. They're tiny. I couldn't imagine losing another inch off of them.

Haha. Thanks. I do take comfort in the fact that my ankles and calves are "visually separate".

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Um...those ankles are not big, only you think they are. And and least there are no cankles

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Laughing. Your legs have a taper from the thigh all the way to the ankle. Someone with 'big' calves has almost an hourglass shape from wider at the thigh, narrower at the knee, wider at the calf, and again narrow at the ankle. And personally, I'd rather have beefy calves. Your legs look like my skinny 17 yr old daughter's.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just spat my oatmeal all over my phone.

What look is it you are going for? You have toothpicks down there and your calves taper down into your ankles...meaning you have no calves.

I think you are trying for something that is unattainable.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I couldn't find some of my original sources, but I did stumble upon this page to give you an idea: shorty-stories[dot]delectablychic[dot]com/2012/01/koreansizecharts/
    I am not sure I would take seriously any web site that gives you ideal measurements ... ideal for what ?? lol
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    I am not sure I would take seriously any web site that gives you ideal measurements ... ideal for what ?? lol
    Not ideal for holding up body weight apparently.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Not ideal for holding up body weight apparently.
    yeah really …..it's crazy that there is such a site
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That makes a lot more sense and now I can understand why you feel your calves are too big.

I know in the Asian culture, women having large calves (of course large is a subjective term) is considered unattractive.

OP...based on your picture and the after pics from women that have decided to have calf reduction surgery...your calves look a lot like their after pics.
    Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

"If you truly seek understanding, then first, empty your cup!" – Unknown

*** Squat Quitter Crew ***
    *** Dragon Flags Crew ***

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Artemis00 View Post
    That makes a lot more sense and now I can understand why you feel your calves are too big.

I know in the Asian culture, women having large calves (of course large is a subjective term) is considered unattractive.

OP...based on your picture and the after pics from women that have decided to have calf reduction surgery...your calves look a lot like their after pics.
    Wow....didn't know such a thing existed.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah well, the asian community has been known to prefer women smaller and doesnt care if they look deformed or not. Like foot binding.....

OP, your calves are not huge, and there is no "ideal" calf size for health. If you are basing your thoughts and self worth over some random websites "ideal" chart... you have bigger issues than calf size.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm four inches taller than you but my calves are just over FIFTEEN INCHES around!! If anyone has huge calves it's me!!

peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000) peasandlove is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mtnliones5 View Post
    I'm four inches taller than you but my calves are just over FIFTEEN INCHES around!! If anyone has huge calves it's me!!
    one of mine is 15 and the other 14.5.. lol
    I struggle with trousers though, fitted ones bunch up on the bigger calf
    im pretty tall though so I don't "think" they look big