Thread: squat form help

Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)

squat form help

Hey guys, ive been doing stronglifts 5x5 for about a year now. Prior to starting I borderline anorexic, and could not even squat 40kg for 5x5.

The progression has been going good, lifts are currently

5x5
    squat 90kg
    front squat 80kg
    bench 90kg
    Ohp 60kg
    deadlift 140kg
    row 80kg

Just having trouble with keeping form solid when progressing in weight mainly on the squat, for 3 months i kept the weight at 70kg to improve form, but as soon as i wrnt for a 5x5 pr today, my form went out the window, just looking on advice since i am a novice lifter and what i should do to improve.

I only have a powerrack at the moment with 200kg of weights, not sign uped to a gym at the present moment.

Heres the video
    http://youtu.be/UBNGmhwAhvg

Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good to me. Sometimes you gotta good morning that chit to get it up when you're pushing your limits. Most people will probably disagree, but it's worked for me and my squat is *decent*.
    PRs:
    Squat: 630 (sleeves)
    Deadlift: 735 (straps)
    Strict OHP: 330
    Log Clean & Press: 360
    Gave stickyashell hope and now he's back in strength sports crew

Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bsrfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ty man. BumP

Anyone eles goot advice?

bump

Bumpī

LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Bsrfitness View Post
    Hey guys, ive been doing stronglifts 5x5 for about a year now. Prior to starting I borderline anorexic, and could not even squat 40kg for 5x5.

5x5
    squat 90kg
    front squat 80kg
    bench 90kg
    Ohp 60kg
    deadlift 140kg
    row 80kg

Just having trouble with keeping form solid when progressing in weight mainly on the squat, for 3 months i kept the weight at 70kg to improve form, but as soon as i wrnt for a 5x5 pr today, my form went out the window, just looking on advice since i am a novice lifter and what i should do to improve.

I only have a powerrack at the moment with 200kg of weights, not sign uped to a gym at the present moment.

Heres the video
    You're bending at the knees first, which limits how much of your posterior chain is involved and you miss out on the stretch reflex the squat *would* provide in the hole. Bend with your hips first - the idea is to push your butt out behind you as far as you can.

The result of this (and it's evident in the first rep of the video) is that you use more quads and lumbar than you should. But your posterior chain (glutes, hams, hips) can handle it better.

It also appears you're bowing your knees in - please post a front view

jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jayshort21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The weight it light for you. Keep adding weight. Form could use some tweaking, but not bad.
    Squat 375x3
    Bench 285x5
    Dead 420x3
    Standing Press 190x3

845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 845ToastT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had the same form problem where the hips would rise just a little fast. Turns out it was a lack of glute activation at the bottom of the squat. Since then I've been using mental cues to help activate my glutes. Also, box squats really helped me, as long as I tried to stay up-right while doing them and not letting my hips rise super fast. Your form doesnt look that bad tho, maybe just something you can keep in mind.

Question

Originally Posted by LearningToStr View Post
    You're bending at the knees first, which limits how much of your posterior chain is involved and you miss out on the stretch reflex the squat *would* provide in the hole. Bend with your hips first - the idea is to push your butt out behind you as far as you can.

The result of this (and it's evident in the first rep of the video) is that you use more quads and lumbar than you should. But your posterior chain (glutes, hams, hips) can handle it better.

Hey thanks for the great feedback! Yeah I can see what you mean! So try stick my butt out as my as I can and avoid bending at the knees to early?. The video i posted wasnt the best view, I managedd to hit 5x5 for 90kg for a pb today and my form was strangly alot better. So on myway to 100kg i have no doubt ill still have trouble with this, so ill record my next squat session on 92.5kg 5x5 and ill post side and front pov. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by 845ToastT View Post
    I had the same form problem where the hips would rise just a little fast. Turns out it was a lack of glute activation at the bottom of the squat. Since then I've been using mental cues to help activate my glutes. Also, box squats really helped me, as long as I tried to stay up-right while doing them and not letting my hips rise super fast. Your form doesnt look that bad tho, maybe just something you can keep in mind.
    yeah dude. My form is so weird, one day it looks 95% good form, other days its terrible, I managed to hit 90kg 5x5 squat today and my form was on point. going to post another two videos in a couple of days. so hopefully its bit better. Ty for the feedback!

Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    The weight it light for you. Keep adding weight. Form could use some tweaking, but not bad.
    ty for the feedback. I managed to hit 90kg 5x5 squat today and the form was on point. Im shooting for 100kg 5x5 squat in atleast undEr a couple months. So im going to post another video in a couple of days for my next squat sesh

wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Box squats are the best way to learn how to squat. Here's a few vids hope this helps

ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

PhotonGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5x5
    squat 90kg
    front squat 80kg
    bench 90kg
    Ohp 60kg
    deadlift 140kg
    row 80kg

Your form looks good. You're going below parallel which contrary to popular belief can be good for your knees. However, if you are going to go below parallel make sure to focus your weight on your heels. By putting your weight on your heels you will make sure to not hurt your knees. You might want to try lower weight for higher reps. Do maybe one set at a weight where you can go for 15 reps and then the next set for 12 reps and then the next set for 10 reps, each time increasing the weight. Usually you improve better that way than just doing a bunch of sets for 5 reps each.

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    its hard to tell but i think you squat high bar yes? maybe try a more narrow stance. sit back more, your hips seem to come forward. your heels are coming up and you're already in oly shoes so i doubt its an issue of ankle flexibility.

Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    why would he add weight when his form needs work
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605

Thanks for all the great help
    I did another squat sesh today and focus on sticking my butt out, keeping chest up and trying not to breao at knees to early. Filmed set 1 and 2.

Set 1 (Side pov)
    http://youtu.be/sXf-61d2yFM

Set 2 (front pov)
    http://youtu.be/uNmCf1ogmKA

Knees caved in something fierce on the front, + I wasnt 100% happy with depth on side pov, but my form does look better from the side pov compared to the other side pov video.

feel free to give me more advice guys. Its helped a lot!

[QUOTE=SamSix;1344383111]its hard to tell but i think you squat high bar yes? maybe try a more narrow stance. sit back more, your hips seem to come forward. your heels are coming up and you're already in oly shoes so i doubt its an issue of ankle flexibility.

thanks for the feedback! i am squating high bar indeed, I did another squat sesh today and filmed front pov and back pov. I never really noticed my heels were coming forward since i didnt reocrd myself! I am watching the video you linked now

Originally Posted by LearningToStr View Post

Hey man! I took your advice today when i did squats, tried sticking butt out more. And tried not to break ot knees to early (its hard when i have the habbit) I filmed front and side pov. let me me know what you think

Thank you for posting the vids! I have taking your advice and thinking about adding box squats x2 per week to help get form down pact. I watch the first video you linked and he said box squats are a great way to get form better. Amazing reply man! + i linked two more videos. Lemme know what you think. Cheers!

LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100) LearningToStr is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for all the great help
    I did another squat sesh today and focus on sticking my butt out, keeping chest up and trying not to breao at knees to early. Filmed set 1 and 2.

Knees caved in something fierce on the front, + I wasnt 100% happy with depth on side pov, but my form does look better from the side pov compared to the other side pov video.

feel free to give me more advice guys. Its helped a lot!
    Hey, great improvement. When you begin the concentric phase (the bar moves up), it appears that you aren't pushing against the bar. That is, your hips are moving upward but the bar isn't. (It's evident in the video.) However the bar starts moving after that, but at that point hip power is reduced and you're using more lumbar than you should. So when you're beginning the concentric phase, push against the bar. This will increase your power.

In the second video it's very evident your knees bow in. Please don't do that. Keep your knees flared out, in line with your toes. Otherwise, your hips aren't activated.

Don't forget to keep your chest popped out.