ktjo35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Joint pain while running on treadmill

I recently started running again. I used to run about 4-5 times a week (~5 mi each day) in college, which was about 15 years ago. I stopped because I got into biking and weight lifting more than running. Since then, I've remained very active, and in the last couple years, I've started to walk about 20-30 min a day. Since its winter and I live in the north, I wasn't getting in my walking time, so I bought a treadmill. Then I started to think about running.

Three weeks ago, I started the Couch to 5K program. I followed it fairly closely - only 3 times a week - but added in about 15 min of incline walking at the end of each run. So for three weeks I've been doing run/walk intervals for anywhere between 30-45 min, for a total of 2/5-3.5 miles. (Clearly, I don't run fast - usually 5.5 or 6 at the speediest.)

The problem is that both my knees and one of my hips has been starting to hurt while running. I thought it was my shoes - they were brand new and maybe not broken in....but I don't run much, so probably not) so I got new ones. No dice. I took about 5 days off last week, getting back on my bike instead, and then 3 days over the weekend. Today, I could barely make it 1 minute. Walking was totally fine though.

Do you guys think its' the shoes? Too much, too soon? Or maybe I'm just too old to run?

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think your joints just have to adjust to running again. Have you had any change in weight since you last ran? Any excess weight = excess joint stress/strain. Also, running on a treadmill can be strenuous of course vs outside. When I run I adjust the incline to 1.5-2 as some runners advise to simulate a real outdoor surface. I think it promotes less heel strike which can also cause joint stress. Try it and let me know how it goes.
    Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna do legs!!

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A half hour cardio 2-3 times a week is good for CV health. Even less if you do HIIT(high intensity interval training). Anything beyond that is just cutting into energy better spent on the barbell work that actually make people more awesome:

squat
    bench/incline
    row
    deadlift
    clean
    press
    curl

If you want to do something that doesn't trash your joints, drop running altogether. Something like the "Squat Challenge" will give you a CV workout, while making your legs much stronger than running. And it will strengthen your knees and hips, not jolt them into submission. One of my daughters is at 220 deep bodyweight squats in a single set. When she gets to 250, she reckons she'll have a decent level of endurance and fitness, and will then train to actually get strong:

trap bar deads, barbell clean and press, row, curl etc.

She is about your age, and not too old to lift weights. She wouldn't consider running to be anything worthwhile, considering it is so popular with all the little old ladies(young and old, male and female) you see on the treadmills. She does have a sense of humor, and is used to seeing her dad looking like a bouncer, so knows that weights transform people(I was 130lbs in my youth, and in my forties(illness), started serious strength training in my fifties).

Running excessively, even assuming it didn't hurt your joints at all, would just push your physique in the direction of the guys who win Olympic Gold in the Marathon. They look like Mother Theresa. That should be a clue.

Best of luck.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ease into it. 35 ain't nothing like 20 so joint pain can crop up. Also, if you have constantly worn a wallet over the years it could have thrown your hips off. Other than that...It could be the shoes. You need to make sure you get the best shoes for your roots pronation.

ktjo35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @kenacillin I've actually lost about 20 pounds since then, so that's not the issue. I usually do leave the incline at zero, so I'll try to increase that and see if it helps.

@jgreystroke I don't consider the Couch to 5K program "excessive running" at all. I do lift weights - the lifts you mention even (I'm an experienced weight lifter) - about 3-4 times a week. I want to run for the mental benefits, not the weight and/or cardiovascular benefits. I do HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week also, including plyo which doesn't hurt my joints, so I know all that.

@k9pit You calling me old?